Monday, September 28, 2015

Reflection Paper 1: Defining Moments (revised) - Anonymous

A Call for Independence and Responsibility

My story may have been heard from one of Charo Santos' Maalala Mo Kaya episodes. Maybe a cliché story of a teenage girl who fell in love, lost everything she had in her 19 years of life, but have gained more in the process. Let me take this opportunity to share my story, a chapter in my life that has been my foreground on whoever what I am today and whatever I have achieved so far. And yes, this may be the hardest time in my life but this had defined me in all aspects. I was on my 3rd year at the University, year 2003, in the midst of youth and what I can call now an immature independence that I thought I have. I have enjoyed so much of being young and carefree, fell in love and gave everything to that one person. And you would know what happened next? Being so bewildered with young love, I got pregnant at the age of 19. My father got so mad, he kicked me out of the house and disowned me. I forced to live with the boy (the father of my baby) who was working as a fast food crew that time. Had to stop my school and also work in a fast food chain until at my 7th month pregnancy. The relationship didn't do well, had a lot of fights that oftentimes ends on being hurt physically. It was like an enclosed circle for me that I keep on moving and moving around, that it gets smaller and thicker, making it harder every day to escape from. Until a big fight came, my son just turned one (1), and while holding him, he hit me so hard, my son almost fell from my arms. I was so shaken that I have nothing in my mind except for my son. And I got awakened, found what my center is, and finally broke that circle where I was and got out of it. The rest of my story is history. My son and I lived on our own, I worked, went back to school, graduated and a good story afterwards.



What I have learned with this defining point in my life?

As I look back in this chapter in my life, I have realized things that unconsciously, has been my principles in the last 12 years.

(1) Every person has his own struggles in life, others may face it bravely and become better persons while some seems to be struggling their whole life. But this does not mean the first is better than the latter, we cannot judge anyone, but rather we must understand them and if has the resources and ability, help them. Or, at least, respect them. Before I got pregnant and had to live a difficult life, I always thought that people are just too lazy to face their problems and they cannot think better causing them to suffer more or not persistent enough to get out of their situations. But I have come to think of otherwise now. To be more specific, on being poor, living in slums area and always have to think of how can you eat the following day, that struggle is more than of a physical pain. That struggle cuts deeper into one's emotions, mentally and psychologically speaking. And it gets more painful when you have other lives depending on you.

(2) Count your blessings, be thankful of what you have. This is easily said than done, and I admit that there are times I always have to remind myself about this as well. I think it is more of us being human to long for contenment and satisfaction. But what I am trying to reflect over this, is to appreciate the things and the people around us because we do not know when we are to loose them.

(3) God has always a better plan for us, we may have to be in a difficult journey, but trust He would always lead you to the right path. I can truly say this because I can never be the person I am today if He did not bless me with my son. He gave me this turning point in my life that He made me a strong person, and gave the greatest gift in the world. He gave me my compass in life, my son.

(4) No man is an island and being independent does not mean you do not need other people in your life to survive or succeed. As what I have said, appreciate what you have, and this includes the people around you, we can never survive this world without relating yourselves to others. Independence is not being measured on how tough you live your life by youe own, but independence is standing up and sticking to your ground.


What I will be doing about this topic?

Whenever I was asked of my story, I always tell this with pride and big smile on my face. Of course, it is not to tell, especially to the youngsters that it is good to get pregnant while you are studying, but it is to (1)inspire them about being strong and focus on what you would like to achieve in life. (2) Moreover, this is a reminder to myself whenever I feel lost, that I have been through worse trials, and other people are having bigger problems than I do. And thus, be positive on how to deal with life. (3)Share my purpose to others, do things to my best of ability to pay it forward. 3

By Catherine?

2 comments:

  1. Nakakaiyak naman. A la Charo Santos special nga. Great that you transcended your difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sir! Yes, Catherine here, sorry I missed to put my name. Thank you po

    ReplyDelete