Thursday, July 30, 2015

Speech making and delivering speeches

'Quamplurimi et quam aptisimi" (As many as possible of the very best


JFK's best speeches. Listen how they resonate with you. Note the passion in the speech and call to action
I am repeating here that as a leader, your biggest resource is your ability to communicate - one on one  and to a group of people. Thus the ability to prepare a speech, or deliver a speech, even extemporaneously would be an advantage.   Many leaders are known to be loquacious and possess the gift of gab, even at times pompous.

Great Leaders were known to be great public speakers:  Hitler, Churchill, Douglas MacArthur, Ferdinand Marcos, John F. Kennedy, especially Barack Obama.  If you do not know how to use your tongue, the power of words, you cant hope to be a leader.  "It is only words, and words is all I got, to take your heart away - Bee Gees

Such was my weakness when I was starting my career as a business manager.  My first task when I became AM at a rural bank was to deliver a speech before school children and teachers for Tipid Movement. (The rural bank was the Tipid Movement - a project of then CBP to encourage thrift early among students).  All that I was able to mutter before a crowd of about 1,000 was "Halina't magtipid sa tipid movement!"  What a shame and embarrassment.






So I enrolled at Dale Carnegie c/o ETIOP at Crispa in Buendia (near MMC) and the course set me back by P700 for the entire 14 week course.  The speech instructor was surnamed Iturralde (not Y) and was the father of my college mate Francis.  The course consisted of practice set of speeches:   2 minute speeches delivered extemporaneously drawn from raffle

1.  How to deliver the 2 minute speech

    1.  Tell initially what you want to tell them.  Go direct to the point.
    2.  Explain by examples what you want to tell them.  Be anecdotal.  Relate to the audience if you have prior knowledge of their demographics
\   3. Repeat # 1 and if possible ask for commitment, understanding or action

       Example:

      Let us take the joke of Ariel Oreta that earned him one week in jail:   " Sa ikakaunlad ng bayan bisikleta ang kailangan"

      Para umunlad ang bayan, di natin kailangan ang tren, SUV, taxi o bus.  Bisikleta ang kailangan!  (tell what you want to tell them)

       Bakit (explain)

       1.  Hindi mo kailangan ang gas na binibili ng dolyar. Magagamit ang dolyar sa pambili ng gold at iba pang mga infrastuctura.

       2.  Mababawasan ang air pollution na dahilan ng pagkakasakit.  Less expenses on health care

       3.  Di matatrapik

       4.  Mura bisikleta

       5. Libre exercise.  Tipid sa gym expenses, diet, at pagkakasakit

       A healthy nation is a wealthy nation

      6.  Less traffic;  di kailangan ang malaking parking

      Conclusion

      Sa ikauunlad ng bayan bisikleta ang kailangan  Bumili na murang mura lang (P2t lang di 2 million)

       Tayo nang mamisekleta.

      This is a crude example.  And even written in carabao  English. But I hope you got the point
     

    You should practice doing this in writing memos, meetings, and telephone conversation.  End your discussion with 3 either to verify if the communication was understood (this is the verify portion of the COs speech or meeting - ie to repeat to him if the order was understood).  Thus the exercise is called  "Call to Arms/Action"

2.  How to feel confident

     When you are confident, you are more credible.  How will people believe you if you do not look convinced of what you are saying.  Remember scammers and con artists can run away with zillions of of other people's money, because they are convinced and sincerely believe that the lie they are saying is true.!

     One of the greatest challenge to leaders is having butterflies when delivering speech before a large crowd with cameras flashing and flood lights blinding you.  You can become speechless, or forget your speech.  How to handle this:

      1.  Bring a prepared speech

      2.  Have an outline which you have covered with a written speech before hand.

      3.  Practice practice practice.  View and listen to great speeches, and try reciting them orally:   Brutus speech before Cesar's Funeral,  Lincoln"s Gettysburg Address  John F. Kennedy's inaugural speech. Practice correct pronunciation especially if you are challenged at this area

      4.  Have a library of quotes and jokes.   It pays to break ice with jokes (even green ones) and keep your audience awake.  (When we were detailmen, we were required to memorize jokes for every occaions)

      Thus it is a good idea to join a Toastmaster Club or join a civic organization to practice public speaking.  Enrolling in graduate school is a good idea.  Be attentive; and contribute to the discussion or recitation, if you

      5/  Read read read.

     Load your mind with ideas, concepts, and current events, facts and even be ready to cite the source or the websites.  This can spice up your speech.  To many you will look like you are erudite, and adds to your image of competence..  You are an authority and thus can be believed.

    6. Always have pre prepared speech ready for all occasions

          As when you are called to sing, even if you are not ready, you have a minus one.  So with a speech.   This was a tip given to me by me by trainor in the extemporaneous speech contest of CMLI.  I had 5 ready stories.  All I had to do was to improvise in accordance with the topic that I will draw from the lot.

JFK's speech that made Man going to the Moon happen, a call to action






13 comments:

  1. Leader Dr. SuzetteJuly 30, 2015 at 11:49 AM

    Thank you so much Prof for all those sharings on improving our communication skills. Sometimes, even if we are already well versed with delivering speeches, you just couldn't avoid it but we will still experience the butterflies in our stomach. We really need to develop confidence in communication if we truly want to become leaders. It is always best also to speak from the heart when we speak. Thanks again for all those pointers which I am sure will contribute much and will motivate us more to become eloquent speakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will make you one of the judges when speech time comes Leader Suzette

      Delete
    2. Update: we requested Leader Rcee to get it from their store last meeting and I called her now and she said ready na daw po including our candles. Thank you Leader Rcee!

      Delete
  2. Ma. Corazon Q. GuevarraJuly 30, 2015 at 1:32 PM

    Thank you prof for the tips that you have shared on making and delivering speeches. Honestly, speaking before an audience is one of my weaknesses. Stage fright has been disrupting me every time I am in front of a group of people and most of the time, I forget more than half of what I am supposed to say. I just hope I am improving. Your story about your Tipid Movement speech has inspired me. I could not believe that speaking before an audience was your weakness. Thanks again Prof for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaya ito po panay ang salita matapos matuto ng public speaking. Defining moment sa akin yon Leader Cora; it hope it is for you too. Presentations are a great way to develop confidence. BTW we had a guest OP and he spoke for 2 hours in the class without notes and power point. He later became a Provincial Superior of the OP

      Delete
  3. Although I joined toastmaster's club when I was working in Manila, I agree with Leader Dr. Suzette that the butterflies inside our stomach will always be part of our Public Speaking journey. Thank you for the pointers Prof. and this will help us a lot. Thank you Leader Dr. Suzette for the reminder "Speak from the Heart " <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dapat organize kayo ng Toastmaster Club dito sa AC leader Anne

      Delete
    2. That is a great idea sir :). Exploring that excellent idea
      https://www.toastmasters.org/Membership/How-to-Start-a-New-Club

      Delete
  4. Leader Belle S. KatigbakJuly 30, 2015 at 5:33 PM

    Prof., this goes with my deep appreciation for your way of expanding our horizons, for bettering what we think is already our best... you have a way to stretch us, which is all about becoming authentic leaders. I've never learned as much in such a short span of time!
    The Gettysburg address brought me down memory lane. It was the first speech that I fell in love with during my first year high. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very challenging especially for me. I may have delivered some speeches but there is more substance and compelling words needed Thank you sir for the tips, have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir, to tell you frankly, I believe this is one of my weaknesses. I once had stage frights when I was still a student to the point where I would absent myself or talk my way out. Unfortunately, I had no choice so I did it anyway for the sake of.

    I was not confident enough. I doubt myself on things like, will I catch my audience attention? Will I let them see my point? Am I grammatically correct? Pronounced well or diction is correct?

    This is still a struggle for me but I learned one important thing in my life's journey..

    If you are aspiring to be a leader, you CANNOT shy away from SPEECHES or COMMUNICATION because this is a strong tool for leaders in letting your people see your vision.

    Delivering speech is still a struggle for me nowadays but I know I am getting better one speech at a time. Thank you Prof for the pointers. Let's try this in class. Not looking forward but excited to overcome.. :)

    LEADER RCee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prof. Thank you for this. I just read it and everything in Dale Carnegie Course I took a year in a half returned. I have been out in speech writing for a while now but I used to make the speeches of my uncles and aunts in the business, healthcare and law enforcement. I don't how I did it but I can speak their language through the speeches I made. I hope I can bring back that old self (they pay well for the speech). =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a problem, Sir. I always feel relaxed and confident even during a big speech. My only flaw is that I tend to ramble on, which goes against your advice of getting to the point. I will try to make the call to arms speech more direct.

    ReplyDelete