Monday, August 10, 2015

THE RIPPLE EFFECT OF LEADERSHIP COURSE

THE RIPPLE EFFECT OF THE LEADERSHIP COURSE
By:  Leader Belina S. Katigbak
August 9, 2015
                This reflection is not to preempt my summary integrative paper.  For all its purpose and intent, I wish first to glorify God for the abounding graces that He poured on me today, which I would like to attribute greatly to my journey in the Leadership course of the Ateneo-Regis MBA, Clark.  I am grateful to you Prof. Jorge Saguinsin for facilitating these learning experiences and challenges.  I am happy to share that today I have responded in a very special way to the call of Leadership.
                Today, August 9, 2015 is the 33rd birthday of my eldest son.  At Mass, which I attended with my husband, I prayed not only for my son but also for an opportunity to have time for my parents.  During the priest's homily about Jesus being the "Bread of Life" that came down from heaven, I was able to reflect on what God is calling me to do, that is to become "bread for others".  This day turned out to be extra special as I made very important persons in my life either cry or exuberant with joy. 
1.       While having breakfast at Jollibee, I shared with my husband the joys and "rewards" of the Leadership course.  Knowing how much getting an education from Ateneo means to me, my husband shed tears as I was narrating to him the experiences I've had in this course.  I believe that my husband has been seeing the transformation process that I am going through.  He also witnessed this morning my social concern.  I asked the security guard of Jollibee to let in the old woman beggar as I treated the beggar with a Jollibee corned beef breakfast. 


2.       I visited my parents.  As soon as my father saw me, he shouted with great joy of thanksgiving to God.  As if I was a "Bread of Life" for him.  On the other hand, my 99-year old mother cried while I embraced her.  I brought my parents to a retired priest in the "Bale Pari" (Retirement Home for Priests), who administered to them the Sacraments of Confession, Anointing of the Sick, and Holy Eucharist.  I too, received the grace of the Sacrament of Confession. I felt the old priest's appreciation of my service to my old parents. 
3.       Thereafter, I brought my parents to my sister, Sr. Del O.S.B. in the convent.  She is the "Wise Woman – Mentor" in my monomyth.  She told me the great impact of the Genogram on her.  Earlier I asked her to help me accomplish the Genogram, which is one of the requirements of this Leadership course.  According to my sister, it turned out to be a great journey for her, too.  I told her also that she is at the heart of my Audio-Visual Presentation (AVP) in Leadership, and that I am so grateful to her.  We embraced each other and we ended up both crying.  I just want to share what she just texted me now, ""Just want to tell you how deeply touched I am by your generous loving gesture of reaching out to our parents.  God loves a cheerful giver.  May He also help you".
Aside from my husband, parents, sister, and son, I showed my love to a good number of people today.  Consciously or unconsciously, I have responded positively to the call of Jesus to me, i.e., to become "Bread of Life" to others and to practice what St. Paul admonishes. In the Second Reading today, St. Paul tells the Ephesians, "As most beloved children of God, strive to imitate Him.  Follow the way of love, the example of Christ Who loved you.  He gave Himself up for us and became the offering and sacrificial victim whose fragrance rises to God". (Eph. 5:1-2). 
What do all these loving gestures have to do with our Leadership course?  A lot!  For me, authentic leadership is imitating Christ, the HERO, and the TRUE LOVER...This course made me strive to be an authentic leader by growing in self-awareness, love, and self-giving.  And I just cannot imagine the ripple effects of these gestures.
Thank you Prof. Jorge! 

Leader Belle S. Katigbak

16 comments:

  1. Leader Ma. Corazon Q. GuevarraAugust 10, 2015 at 1:36 PM

    Very well said Leader Ate Belle, my BFF. I am so glad to know that the Leadership course has made you and I better individuals and leaders. God bless you ate. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leader Belle S. KatigbakAugust 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM

      Thank you very much BFF! I also thank you for your loving gestures, especially for your warm hospitality in having me every end of our classes. You are an authentic loving leadership. Your kindness has ripple effects, too!

      Delete
    2. Leader Belle S. KatigbakAugust 11, 2015 at 11:02 AM

      I mean that ...you are an authentic loving "leader". Leader Cora, your leadership is worthy of emulation!

      Delete
  2. Leader Belle - you are an amazing woman. I admire you a lot ate! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leader Belle S. KatigbakAugust 11, 2015 at 10:56 AM

      Thank you Leader Anne, Miss Congeniality! The feeling is mutual. You are likewise an amazing and admirable leader. I know that your father is proud of you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ate Leader Belle, I admire your zest in the class. You are an inspiration to me for your energy and passion in everything you do. God will surely continue to shower you with more blessings as you also bless us with your life. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leader Belle S. KatigbakAugust 11, 2015 at 10:59 AM

      I am grateful to you Leader Tristan Val for your kind words. You will go a long way, too. At your age, you have gone so far. What a feat! May we continue to inspire one another, and others as well. I congratulate you for your achievements, too. I share your passion for training and development. In the near future we can probably work together on something for the youth leaders in our archdiocese.

      Delete
    2. I agree Leader Tristan your energy and spirit inspires a lot of youth to be better and better at their craft, which is good for our country.
      Leader Tristan and Leader Belle - count me in for any future projects for the youth. God bless both of you!

      Delete
    3. Leader Belle S. KatigbakAugust 12, 2015 at 9:03 AM

      Thumbs up Leader Anne. Yes, let us plan for our successors. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Hello Leader Belle. I am so proud and privileged to be part of your family. How time flies so fast. Imagine Ima is already 99 years old and it was just like yesterday. I miss the good old times with the family. May God continue to bless you all especially Ima, Tatang, and of course my dear best friend, Sis. Del. Please give my love to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leader Belle S. KatigbakAugust 12, 2015 at 8:11 AM

      Leader Dr. Suzette, you have always been a great part of my family. Sr. Del, my sister, your mentor, and mine too, looks up to you. She is "maka Suzette"! Before, I was too young to know. I only understood it from the perspective of you being one of her favorite students - one of the brightest of course,the most loyal to her...and the most caring until this day. Now that you have been my classmate in MBA, and being myself a beneficiary of your generosity, I appreciate all the more your innate goodness. Thank you Dr. Suzette. I still like to hear you call me Lyn because it is sweet music to my ears. I love you, Dra.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful mam belle , I truly admire the passion you show, it is something worth emulating , very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  6. People who read "Ripple" effect say "nakakaiyak" naman. Truly heart rending and tears well from our eyes as we read this wonderful transformation. Thanks that good things like this happen in the Leadership class. In the Valedictory address of the MBA Class of 2015, the most memorable experience in her AGSB life was the Leadership Class. It may be the same is happening to some of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is very much overwhelmed by these comments, as for me this is just part of the job...of being a Lecturer. Thanks Leader Belle for the thanks and the inspiration to others

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leader Belle S. KatigbakAugust 12, 2015 at 9:01 AM

    A.M.D.G.!
    I am almost speechless! I thank God because He brought me to Ateneo and fulfilled a lifelong dream. I know that He has destined me to be a leader in the place where He called me to participate in His mission. The God Who always provides...He Who saw me through from birth until now will "bring to completion what He started (Philippians 1:6). I am almost in tears while remembering "My Hero's Journey". I have gone through a lot in life, but God, my Ultimate Mentor" was with me in every step of the way. He has been transforming me, and I am truly grateful.

    Thank you Prof. Saguinsin for being an instrument of this transformation. Thank you St. Ignatius. Thank you Ateneo. This Leadership course is truly a blessing...a gift of God to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leader belle ... You are true leader and servant of GOD

    ReplyDelete