Thursday, October 22, 2015

Why is the Song Greatest Love of All a Top Choice as a Song for Leadership? Love in Corporate Leadership?

'Quamplurimi et quam aptissimi" (As many as possible of the very best)

Why is love part of discussion in Leadership?  Isn't this odd? Having love in a steely cold corporate environment is strange and  a contradiction.  This is not taught in other GSB. Maybe only AGSB does.

But this is IGNATIAN  Leadership training, and this subject is an an AGSB advantage.  And to add love as a component of leadership.  The idea of a company as a Compania in Lowneys Heroic Leadership - a gathering of friends rather than a gathering of politically motivated backstabbing, intriguing, gossiping hordes (tinitira ka ng patalikod!)

Here are the lyrics by Masser



(l. creed/m. masser)

I believe the children are our future    - Leaders are born, the earth must be saved for our children
Teach them well and let them lead the way    Leaders are made/taught/trained
Show them all the beauty they possess inside   - Leadership from within
Give them a sense of pride
To make it easier
Let the children's laughter              - living curious, being innocent, reminds us of Jesus love for                                                                      children
Remind us how we used to be       -  our genogram
Everybody's searching for a hero   - we look for role models
People need someone to look up to   -   we need great leaders;  leadership deficiency  is by factor of                                                                   200%
I never found anyone who fulfilled my need              we need leaders who care
A lonely place to be
So I learned to depend on me        )     authentic leadership
Chorus:
I decided long ago                                leaders make great decision and we must learn decision                                                                           making
Never to walk in anyone's shadow )    authentic leadership
If I fail, if I succeed               )
At least I lived as I believe    )             leadership is a  series of ups and down, success and failure
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity   -    authentic self
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me                        -    leadership journey
I found the greatest love of all inside of me    -  Love as a pillar of heroic leadership -  Lowney
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
Is the greatest love of all
(repeat 1st stanza and chorus)
And if by chance that special place   )   A leader dreams, envisions leads his people to a new place of                                                                     change, where his people has not been before
That you've been dreaming of           )   A leader imagines, envisions, innovates is ingenious
Leads you to a lonely place
Find your strength in love     - one of the pillars of leadership.  Indeed a leader finds strength in love
Songwriters: CREED, LINDA / MASSER, MICHAEL


13 comments:

  1. I have heard the song so many times, all i knew was, that the singer was great having a perfect voice in her rendition (the late Whitney Houston) . One of the songwriters the late Linda Creed was an authentic leader who develop her skill as a lyricist which made her in the songwriter's Hall of fame. i don't see what it really implies until it was played during our class in leadership. Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all- indeed, because we will not learn to love others if we do not love ourselves. Now know it's an inspiration of Leadership

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leadership from within. You can teach and mentor others only if you have something deep within you

      Delete
  2. Wow! It's only now that I realized that the song could be related to leadership. Ang galing! Almost everything that we learned is right there, Was this a coincidental? or was it really made for leadership? This is an old song and I have heard of it many times. Before, I used to relate it to myself as a person and as a child of God. Little did I know that even in my career, it could be related to. One of the songs I will never forget and so my experiences here in Ateneo and people that have touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song will remind you of this class/subject always. That is not just a song, It is about leadership

      Delete
  3. I have heard the song so many times, all i knew was, that the singer was great having a perfect voice in her rendition (the late Whitney Houston) . One of the songwriters the late Linda Creed was an authentic leader who develop her skill as a lyricist which made her in the songwriter's Hall of fame. i don't see what it really implies until it was played during our class in leadership. Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all- indeed, because we will not learn to love others if we do not love ourselves. Now know it's an inspiration of Leadership

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved this song, not only because this is so challenging to sing in the videoke, but because I believe that it was composed and written so intelligently. Now, that it has been taken up in Leadership course, I dug deeper. Greatest Love of All” was written by Michael Masser & the late Linda Creed, who wrote the song during her struggle with breast cancer.The song became a hit, topping the Billboard Hot 100, Hot Black Singles and adult contemporary charts in 1986. It topped not only because it has great melody or tune but because it has strong meaning and impact. This is a song about learning to love oneself- which is the greatest love of all. Haters always hate, talkers will always talk, whisperers go on whispering, and so on. Meaning our image may be ruined, lost some loyal friends, people would always find something to say negative. But the song says: "No matter what they take from me they cant take away my dignity". That’s how people survive these hard social times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self awareness, self respect, being strong. Being positive. We cant hate ourselves and help others bring us down. No one will love us more than we love ourselves

      Delete
  5. This song is an all time favorite! I really love the song. I am very inspired and motivated whenever I sing it. Loving ourselves the way God loved us is the key to a significant and meaningful life. Whether we succeed or not in our endeavors, we should fight for what we believe in as long as it’s fair to others and is within our limits. We should not be afraid to fail. Failure is inevitable, nobody’s perfect anyway. In the race of life, what is important is not the times we fall but the times we get up to finish the race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually hear this song in some of the music radio stations every Sunday when there are seminars/trainings. I would always think that it's all about the children or the young generation. But I then realized that it is all about leadership. This song teaches its listeners that the person's leadership style matters because every choice a person makes has a ‘ripple effect’ that spreads out to his or her team and to the organization as a whole. Also, the song made me reflect that leadership starts with self because in order to positively impact others, we must first lead ourselves and this self leadership can take place at any level of an organization.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to enjoy singing this song when I was younger.. and I sing this up to now to my children, and they know this song by heart. As a parent, I want to be able to raise my children as well-rounded, God fearing adults, reaching their potential and doing what they love to do. I want them to reach for their dreams, and I want myself to dream the dream they dream, and not push for the dream that I have for them. I want to be able to raise them well enough so that they will be able to choose their own paths, correctly, and wisely, and let them know that it's okay to make mistakes, and that I'm just here for them to hold on to when time's are tough. I believe that raising good leaders starts at home, and our challenge as parents is to be able to create an atmosphere for our children that will nurture that leadership potential in them. Qoting the famous poet, Kahlil Gibran on Children, "You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth. The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far."
    Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness; For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also and we must not get hurt, he also said that our children are persons passing through time through us. Sometimes our children could be so challenging

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before, I though this song is all about love for others, love for children because they need us for their future, and so they can be a better person when they grow up. But hearing this in the leadership class and reflecting on its lyrics and message, I was just able to understand that this song is really pertaining to the love for our own selves. That it is where all love could come from the world, the greatest one. For one to be able to share love to others, one has to see himself first, love, respect, appreciate and know what he/she is to this world. It is really enlightening. Thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete