Sunday, October 25, 2015

Power and Leadership - Where does the power of the leader (to influence) come from?

'Quamplurimi et quam aptissimi" (As many as possible of the very best)

From

Slideshare is a rich source of academic presentation on many topics like leadership.  This slide contains discussion on source of the power:     from organization:  rewards, legitimate, and coercive (the power to discipline)  On personal basis, the source of power can come from expert (knowledge power) and referent (charisma) we admire the leader and we like to be like them as when we swoon over celebs



Leadership Sources of Power from Holly Justice





Power and politics in an organization results when there are no fair standards for judging performance.  Subordinates resort to this by gaining alliances, close contacts with fellow workers and superiors.   The leader must take efforts to stop politics at all costs in an organization.  It saps organizational vitality and energy.






3 comments:

  1. Thank you Prof for sharing the concepts. I enjoyed the combination of the sources of power. I can relate to some of them life when I started I used legitimate and coercive. This combination is not my strength and this did not work for me. But now, I understand that the types of power I am currently using which are the expert, referent, and a bit of reward. On the second slide, I can relate to the part of Office politics. It happens in every organization, you just have to know how to make the best in your current situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an important concept to be learned by those who work in the corridors of power and wealth, ie. corporate execs. Marunong kang dispense ng authority, rewards and punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Prof. Thank you for sharing this. I've always wondered what my power of influence are, as i see alot of leaders use these effortlessly. Now i came to understand that these power can be used in combination and that these are use to generate specific responses to thier followers. Mine style is a combination of reward, referent and would like to be expert as well.

    ReplyDelete