Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Story behind this Leadership teaching assignment using J Campbell's monomyth

'Quamplurimi et quam aptisimi" (As many as possible of the very best)

This Lecturer all of a sudden became member of the HR cluster and teacher of The Call to Leadership.   He used to teach Entrepreneurship as an elective.  He has not taught for a year, and ironically, his last assignment was also at AGSB Clark.  This lecturer would not be able to comply with the stringent requirement of the school with new head at the helm, ie to submit the grades within one week after the end of the term.   The work load of the students and the constraint of their job simply makes this conditionality impossible to meet.

Thus, this Lecturer was off the teaching staff of the school for more than a year until he met the head of HR cluster.  She toyed with the idea that perhaps, this Lecturer can teach a subject without a major paper.  Maybe he could teach Leadership.   So she asked this Lecturer (why this term? -  it is the rank of this writer;  part time teacher cant be called Professor)  So this Lecturer sat in one of sessions of the HR head class on Leadership. (ordinary life)





One month after this Lecturer got a text from the academic coordinator that he would teach Leadership at Clark in two weeks time.  What?   (call to adventure) This lecturer does not have mastery nor working knowledge of the course, no syllabus that he is familiar with, nor teaching materials and aids to buttress the teaching. and has been off the saddle for over a year  (refusal ore hesitancy to heed the call)   Thus he called the HR head requesting for materials and expressed his apprehension.  She assured that this Lecturer  (advice of a a mentor or old woman -  magagalit si Mam Chair) could do this;  the school wants practitioner, ie those who are business leaders, leaders who are made to teach this course, rather than academicians, and somehow, she said, this Lecturer could wing it.  She sent me the CD of her readings and sample of her list of assignments (which I copied)

Thus this lecturer on a panic mode, read the contents of the CD daily for the next two weeks, took down notes, reread, reflected, until some of the academic concepts sank in;   and supplemented this with research at the internet.  But somehow, the List of Assignments, and some of the materials were my own.  I did a lot of improvisation (being ingenious as per Lowney)  Like the Jesuit missionaries discussed by author Lowney, I being a part of the Ignatian community, have to live with one foot raised, with a suitcase nearby ready to answer the call, in this case at AGSB Clark, where the need for us is deepest. (Ingenuity as one of the Pillars of Heroic Leadership) And I must obey that call. (one of the vows of a vocation - obedience)

But honestly I was in a unfamiliar territory and with great trepidation I set forth to Clark, not knowing how the Lecturer or his course would be received that is 27 strong. Fortunately, the Leader students were all eager and willing to learn, and very gracious and hospitable.   The first to greet this adventurer were Leaders Anne and Suzette (the hero encounters test and helpers)

And so I keep on repeating, that this Lecturer, is just like the rest of you a student of Leadership.  Thus, like Steve Jobs who lost his job, and went back to lead Apple again, came with a clear mind, There was emptying and indifference that made this job easier.  This lecturer is blessed with having a lot of students who are Leaders in their own right, and who contribute much to make this class lively, fun, and filled with meaningful, practical learning.

It is going to be the 5th session, past midterm and I am at the innermost cave.

But I decided that this Leadership class shall be great, unforgettable, albeit unorthodox in style and methodology.  I will do my best to make a dent in the world of leadership, at least in Clark, and or the students of this core subject.  (tama?) or contribute just a little bit to the remeergence of Region 3 as economic power house (even if all I have our two office staff at school in Clark)

Thus there is this blog site, posting lessons even when it is not class day, summarizing for you some of the readings, using movies and songs to get across lessons, team building speech making, using the power of all to create great class activities (thus the unstructured group exercise madami akong natutunan - talaga) letting the Leaders handle the class, delegating decisions to the assigned class admin  and even encouraging your class to go beyond the classroom to make your leadership count in the outside world. To make this Leadership course that you are taking to be unique, to be unlike other MBA subjects that you took.  There is however a great danger.... (as there is always danger in leadership)

(I am trying to write a reflection using Joseph Campbell's monomyth.  That is what academicians are trying to do.  To put labels into our stories and experience)

21 comments:

  1. Leader Dr. SuzetteJuly 28, 2015 at 8:13 AM

    I commend you Professor for your ingenuity. Your humbleness in admitting your insecurities about teaching the subject you felt you know not much was the driving force that motivated you to learn the subject from the heart that made you effective in imparting it to us, your students. Your leadership however from your own experience in managing your businesses gave you an edge. The HR Head was right in saying that a practitioner in leadership is more capable than an academician in teaching the subject was proven by the way you conducted our leadership class stemming from your heart. You are teaching us from your humble experience Prof and that is what matters. You had it as your passion Prof. You are a role model of a true leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leader Dr Suzette. for your kind words compliments.Although I have been teaching at the school, for more than a decade, I have not gone of our the box teaching entrepreneurship, I am indeed a newbie in this subject matter and just like anybody else, we have our butterflies in our stomach. You have way with words Leader Dra Suzette that can inspire even your Professo

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing Prof, you are an inspiration to all of us. That after the storm we need to find that beautiful rainbow. That for every failure we encounter there is valuable lesson. God has gifted us indomitable spirit to rise up again :). I myself lost a job twice :). The Airline I worked with was not making profit and had to cut flights. So the HR and Training Manager was sad to inform that they had to cut about 100 cabin crews. When it was my turn I told her, don't be sad for us Ms. Shujata for I believe there will be more opportunities and I thank the company because they will pay me 3 months advance. HR manager said I was one of the one few cabin crew who did not shout at her. Ms. Sujatha said " Anne take my email address and phone number if you will need reference give my name and then we separated with a hug. I found a new job after a few weeks, so aside from the advance salary they paid me I was being paid by my new job. When the Airline was back on track, she called me again to come back however I already had a job as Public Relations Officer. As the Japanese Proverb say 'Fall seven times, rise eight times".
    God Bless us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right there Leader Anne. It is not how you fail or fall, but how you rise up. You are a resilient person, just like the heroes of your father's movies. Thanks for noticing this post and participating in the discussion. You are right, the class is every Friday, but the lessons continue. That is the advantage of having a site for teaching

      Delete
  3. Leader Karen Kay GuanzonJuly 28, 2015 at 8:57 AM

    Thank you for sharing that story to us Prof. You are an inspiration to us. Like you, I have no idea before nor experience on my career right now. Facing the challenges and my fears helped me to be able to pursue my dream on having my own business. On my way to where I am right now was not easy, I have to face different kinds of defies, but it was all worth it. Thank you Prof for continuously inspiring us by sharing your experiences and skills. "Success isn't just about what you accomplish in your life it's about what you inspire others to do." That's what made you successful Prof. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is late afternoon in my life. Sayang naman ang mga alam at pinagdaanan at karanasan kung dadalhin ko lang sa dust. Dapat iwanan sa mga kabataan na pag asa ng bayan. You are not judged by what you own or possess, but your legacy ie what you leave to others

      Delete
  4. I remember our conversation in one of our breaks and I asked you why you are not teaching Entrep anymore, now I know. Sometimes we cannot keep up with the demands (passing grade of students after 1 week of last session) ,just like in business. But I believe you are a supply that is in demand specially when we talk of AUNTHENTIC LEADERSHIP. Even knowing you in a short period of time, i know deep inside you are a good person and it shows that your humbleness came a long way to what you have become.

    Sometimes leadership is about bringing out the best from your people. With your reflection exercises backed up with learnings from academicians, you really did a great job in this course. Thank you po and God bless po.. to more self-discovery and leadership (toast)! ��

    RCee Mutuc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Leader Rcee. We have to abolish that supply and demand. More will be coming from your ranks. We have to prove that when I ask and assign to you a reflection, I have to show that I can do it....by example. Sabi nga ni St. Francis, "Lord let me teach the Scriptures, if possible with words"

      Delete
  5. What I saw from you prof is exemplified by two important traits of level 5 leader. You illustrated humility to admit that this course is unfamiliar territory for you, no mastery nor working knowledge of the course and that just like the rest of us you are a student too. I am convinced through your strong will to deliver this subject in the most unforgettable way, you have deepened our academic concepts in leadership not just on paper and refection’s we submitted but in real life application. Thank you prof. Jorge.

    God Bless our Leadership class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leader Charm ArribeJuly 28, 2015 at 10:32 AM

    You are tasked to lead us to greatness prof! Thank you for accepting the challenge in teaching us this core subject. As you have said "together we will learn." This type of learning is more productive in my point of view. Thank you Prof Jorge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leader Charm for charming me with your kind words. Sana hindi ako biglaang inassign na magturo, but you got one of the best. From AGSB (courtesy of your guru Alran) I am like you an Alran disciple. God bless him

      Delete
  7. I noticed that the same people, who have great leadership examples, who submitted superb assignment are the ones who are engaged and make their comments and participate in these threads. Thank you po for those who continue to engage in the subject even on week days. How about the others. How will you be graded for the 35% class participation, lalo na kung we have little time for recitation. Your comments and posts are undeniable records of your class participation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ma. Corazon Q. GuevarraJuly 28, 2015 at 12:10 PM

    Hi Prof! Thank you very much for sharing your story on your call to teach Leadership using J Campbell's monomyth. It was cleverly presented. I admire you for showing qualities of an authentic leader i.e. self awareness (you are aware of your limitations and insecurities), ingenuity (you are innovative that is why you were able to adapt to the situation easily).

    Honestly, I was so overwhelmed at first every time I glanced at the list of assignments and activities for this course. I was so worried that I might not be able to finish my requirements on time.But with your continuous motivation, it seems that I am almost there. I would like to commend you also for your very unique approach in teaching Leadership. It has been a lot of fun and I still look forward to more fun and interesting sessions with you and my fellow leaders. More power po. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lahat kaya pag sama sama Leader Corazon. Thanks for your observation. Mas magaling po ang mga karanasan ninyo bilang leader. And your stories are inspiring and leave me awe struck

      Delete
  9. Leader Belle S. KatigbakJuly 28, 2015 at 1:16 PM

    The authentic leader that you are, Prof…exemplifying what you are imparting, let me affirm your greatness! You may not be aware of this, but based on what has been happening to me since I enrolled in this Leadership course, everything is well worth the sleepless nights! You have been putting out the best in me. I just cannot scribble everything now…but rest assured that you have made a big dent in my leadership journey!

    I appreciate your heart that is filled with gratitude. You would always say, “Thank you very much”! I believe that a person with a grateful heart is filled with love. Scripture says, “From the fullness of the heart, one speaks”. How can we not learn from you…a humble and grateful person?

    Thank you for walking the extra mile with us. This course will bring us to another milestone. Thank you for continuing the hero’s journey…another one of the many thousand faces is emerging. I am sure you will bring home for us “The Elixir” on session 8!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Traveling from Rizal to Clark just to facilitate a four-hour class is not a joke. As I see it, the travel time itself is longer than the time spent in class. I admire your motivation Prof.Jorge. From the time you decided to accept this task up to this point clearly labels your passion for teaching. Your passion reflects your leadership and it is in itself a motivation for me to do the same. I am currently doing my 2nd and 3rd reflection papers and reading your lectures online gives me inspiration in discovering myself and what I can achieve more not just for myself but more particularly to OTHERS. In a matter of four sessions coming to the fifth until the eight, I can say that I CAN HEED THE CALL TO LEADERSHIP. I AM READY. Thanks Prof. for being a good example to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leader Oliver...(.26 ka nga ba lang. ) I hope like the rest of you, meeting you every Friday excites me. And I look forward to Friday. It is a great honor and fun for me to be with you every class. And to be discussing with you on this site.

      Delete
  11. I am so amazed with Your Hero’s Journey sir on our subject LEADERSHIP . Your narrative identified by the American scholar Joseph Campbell describes the typical adventure of the archetype known as The Hero, the person who goes out and achieves great deeds on behalf of ATENEO. We are very much privileged to be on the same journey. Thank you so much SIR for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly J. Campbell Monomyth the Enneagram and Genogram are new things to me. That we did this together, with me trying these for the first time like you was a wonderful journey. And I thank you, Leader Suzette, Belle to be the first mover. Carry on.

      Delete
  12. Jenieryll Jomarie MangalindanJuly 28, 2015 at 10:43 PM

    Glad to hear you are back on teaching Prof and accept the challenge and imparting your knowledge to us. We learn from each other and every session with the class is a new experience. We are already halfway sir and soon will 'return with our elixir'. You have braved the storm Prof in our 3rd session and we are thankful on your dedication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leader Jennieryll. I forgot to include that every time I go to Clark, weather is bad - there is a storm. Part of the Leaders journey. Tama din si Campbell. Last week, may accident sa San Simon. Thanks for participating in the discussion and showing too that you are a great leader too for putting forth your ideas to the public in a blog forum. That is great

      Delete