Saturday, January 16, 2016

Addendum to FIP- Wheel of Leadership by Leader Lt. Commander Andre

Dear prof,

submitted is my addendum for my FIP, my wheel of leadership. it is a little bit different as i tried to adapt it also to my military life. thanks again prof. mabuhay po kayo 


LCDR ANDRE LADAN PN


Regis Cebu Leadership
Leader Andre Ladan
Addendum wheel of leadership on FIP

For my wheel of leadership I opted to adopt some components of the actual AFP logo and provide my own reasons in including certain attributes in my wheel of leadership. As you can see I utilized the image of the sun to illustrate the mission which is located at the center of the image. The sun has eight rays which will serve as the motivation and factors that will help me accomplish the mission at hand. I know my circle may be a little different from others but that difference is probably due to the profession I am in. The culture and tradition of the military and the way we see things are usually different from other people.
Will – it provides the direction on where one is headed. Whether it is personal leadership or organizational, will is an important component for it is the driving force behind the accomplishment of certain milestones in accomplishing the mission.
Sincerity – whether leadership is personal or organizational sincerity plays a big part especially when around other people. With man being a social being it is inevitable that as one accomplishes a mission we will be working with others towards that goal whether they are family, friends or workmates. Sincerity is the measure where people around us recognize if they are to give the same effort in accomplishing the goal.
Compassion – it is the human component of what we do. This trait is exemplified by love for others and understanding where they are coming from. Much of the time we are preoccupied with our own dreams and failing to recognize others who were instrumental to its accomplishment. Compassion is the measure where are workmates or family will exert the extra effort for us in accomplishing our mission.
Character – character gives a leader the moral high ground to lead or impose his/her will. It helps a leader inspire others to help or join the cause.
Discipline – no success can be obtained without discipline. Discipline allows a leader to perform at a high level consistently. In the grind to success, consistence is primary factor in achieving the mission
Optimism – the road to achieving the goals or objectives set is littered with hardships and trials. Eventually we will encounter failures and disappointment. Optimism provides a leader a moment to shrug things off then go at it again. There are times that we should not take ourselves seriously to allow us to be more flexible in the changes we need to make to accomplish the mission
Competence – every objective requires competence and knowledge. As a leader one has to be the trailblazer in the search of knowledge and self-improvement to accomplish the mission. Possessing the knowledge helps a leader take advantage of any opportunity that may come
Trails/hardships – being able to experience tribulations is not failure. As a leader it is a part of discovering the authentic self. Success is measured by the trials a leader has gone through to achieve it.
The triangle is an important part of that illustration as it shows the vision in which I lead and its guiding principles by which I lead. I know some of this is not in the wheel but I've wanted to show it since I am directly applying it to what I do.
Build good bridges of friendship – I try to make friends as much as possible. As I've stated the relationships we have will ultimately help us in our pursuit of our goals. Further good traits/good practices from others can rub off on us.
Make a better self- continue expanding the skills we have, improve yourself in anyway even though it is not in relation to your current goal. There are times that you never know where such skills can be handy
Bring out the best in others – leadership is not only accomplishing the goal and winning. It is also the ability to pull not push our people to the direction of success. Helping others realize their potential will also empower those people to dream bigger and achieve greater things.
The internal factors that shaped me are located in the second circle where my traits can either be helping me achieve my mission or holding me back. My perseverance and optimism surely will help me achieve my goals but my generosity may affect how I perform. However I believe in understanding the good and the bad. It is in understanding it that we get to know our authentic self.
The external factors stated here were also stated in my previous papers where influences from my work, family, friends, former bosses, current environment.          
My work is so different from the rest of my classmates and may probably show in the way I approach life and certain perspectives on different topics during class discussions, my bosses on the other hand were primarily responsible for my work ethic and the way I approach goals. Family and friends formed my early character.
I included current environment because as a military officer I am usually assigned to different areas of the country. As such I am exposed to the different culture and traits of a certain area. Some traits which are acceptable to a certain group may not be applicable to others. This will then be a new learning and as a leader I have to adjust to the required changes so as to be able to operate efficiently in the said area.

<Vg. Commander, Very Good;  the fourth Leader in my class who submitted a wheel of leadership>

No comments:

Post a Comment