Thursday, January 14, 2016

Regis Cebu Leadership - Leader Maricel Ngo -Reflection Paper 3 - Passion

Regis Cebu Leadership - Leader Maricel Ngo -Reflection Paper 3 - Passion

1) It is my passion to help people improve their lives by using my skills and talents to benefit those around them. As a result, they will duplicate what I do and pass it on to others then there is a multiplier effect. It is like paying it forward. Then, the kindness and generosity I shared wholeheartedly will live long after me.
I am moved by the commercial of Proctor and gamble years ago,
" Ikaw ako, sila, lahat tayo, bahagi ng buhay ng isat isa, ang anak ko ang mga anak mo, magkakabit ang bukas, magtatagpo ng landas, maaring ngayon, maaring balang araw. Kaya ang batang tinulungan mo ngayon maaring makatulong sa anak mo balang araw. Dahil sila sila rin magkakasama sa iisang bukas na hinahaharap. Ngayon, sama sama tayo tutulong. Ang tulong mo ngayon sa Kapwa, sa anak mo ring magbubunga."
2) I have a passion for learning. I am like a sponge absorbing all wisdom from my mentors, new acquaintances, professors, business and church leaders.
As school administrator
Part of self-awareness journey is to look for my core gift. I am aware that I can help others by capitalizing on my strength. It is always my joy to teach, deliver speeches and connect to others. It is fulfilling to see that people listen when I talk. When I talk, I talk from the heart with a lot of conviction. What I considered one of my major accomplishments is the tie-up I sealed with TERADYNE, LEXMARK and KYOCERA, top IT companies in CEBU. Now, the students benefit from the partnership through relevant on-the-job training and possible employment after graduation.
As an entrepreneur
My work experience in STI as manager, my MBA program among others enable me become a better entrepreneur. My passion for learning opened my eyes to the limitless potential of entrepreneurship. It also helps me professionalize our businesses and make them grow thus providing more employment to the community.
Life journey
My passion for learning paves the way for building my network with people and other businesses through active involvement in the community like socio-civic organizations, people organizations, local government and faith community. It is a challenge to wear so many hats but one hat that I can't take off is the hat of being a teacher.
In everything I do, my being an "educator" is always demonstrated in the way I exercise my duty. As a mother, I should start with my children. I should help them improve their lives and reach their full potential. Together with my husband, we commit to provide them all the experience and life long learning they need to make them not only life ready but a responsible member of the society who have the heart to help the community.
As an entrepreneur, I encourage our employees to have the passion for learning. We ask them to be multi-skilled worker. Like in our printing business, we do rotation of work from tshirt printing, off-set machine operator, signage, layout artist. It is our happiness to see our people become entrepreneur themselves because of the training they had in our business.
Reflection
1)    What is the new learning?
My passion to help others improve their lives and reach their full potential is the actualization of the 3rd pillar of success based on Heroic Leadership book of Chris Lowney which is LOVE.
Passion for learning and then sharing it to others so they can apply it to heroic act like serving the community is exemplifying HEROISM which is the 4th pillar of success.
Lesson from Robert Kioyasaki related to passion for learning and entrepreneurship "Work to learn. Don't work for money. Look for jobs that can help you develop the skills of managing cash flow, systems and people rather than just pay you well. A great piece of advice is to get a job where you can learn the skills that you need to succeed as an entrepreneur " 
If Robert Kioyasaki is more on technical aspect, Ronald A. Heifetz identifies one more aspect in leading and that is adaptive change. The technical is defined as those that can be solved by the knowledge of experts, whereas adaptive requires new learning. When the problem definition, solution, and implementation is clear, Heifetz calls this technical change. For the adaptive, change must come from the collective intelligence of the employees at all levels. So, together they learn their way toward solutions.
2)    What is the relation to what I all ready know?
Leading a school with its vision of providing quality and relevant education to the students and producing globally competent graduates who are responsible members of the society requires commitment from all shareholders to make this vision realized.
Students have to engage with student-driven activities that geared toward higher level of patriotism and love of his hometown. If the school is successful inculcating into the minds of their students such traits and live up to the school's vision,  then the school can produce graduates who are no ordinary employees of a company but a think tank of a corporation, have entrepreneurial mindset that help the company's operations viable and have the passion to serve the community. One or two or even more graduates will go home and serve his/her hometown and contribute to the local economy through job creation, practice of their profession and even being a public servant. It shows heroism.
3)   What have I done, am doing, will be doing for this topic?
As school administrator, I believe I have done what I ought to do to our students and employees. In the case of our faculty, I encouraged a lot already to pursue their masters not only because it is required by CHED but more importantly, as a teacher they should have the passion for learning to make them more effective. As teachers, they have the power and authority, more that they can influence students positively in pursuit of their dreams.  Then the result is exponential. I will continue to influence more educators to value continuous learning. What I will be doing as an educator is to recruit and influence people I know who have a gift in teaching.
As an entrepreneur, I have a longer perspective in as far as my vision is concerned. As what Robert Kioyosaki said, look for jobs that can help you develop the skills of managing cash flow, systems and people rather than just pay you well. It took me awhile before I decide to work full-time in running our business and on the side, doing consultancy work in running schools. My experiences I gained from my job equipped me to become a better entrepreneur. What I will be doing as entrepreneur? I must lead my organization that is adaptable to change. While technical is also important, my organization should also be ready to face the changing business environment. A collaboration among employees and management can help us be more adaptive to change as each one of us has this sense of ownership for whatever solutions, plans or systems the company have to implement. Then I will instill in them passion for learning. It delights me to see our employees become entrepreneur themselves someday.
In community development, the same approach applies. I will continue to share the best practices and my new learning to the socio-civic organizations that I am a member of.  Academe, business sectors and LGU may have common goals and interest and so pooling our resources and expertise may lead our city to greater heights.
Maricel Reyes-Ngo,MCS
Mobile No.: 0928-5549795

No comments:

Post a Comment