Friday, January 15, 2016

Cebu Leadership FIP by Leader Lt. Commander Andre Ladan

Dear Prof,

Submitted is my FIP. Thanks again Prof. this is one of my most memorable classes taken at AGSB. Please do keep in touch.


LCDR Andre Ladan PN


Regis Leadership Cebu
Leader Andre Ladan
Final Integration Paper

Where am I now?
Warren Bennis said that "Leadership is the capacity to turn vision into reality". That is the very purpose of our Personal Strategic Plan, turning those visions into reality. As with any vision, the real test comes in the perseverance of taking those multitudes of steps consistently. This first part of the Personal Strategic Plan "Where am I now?" is an important part of those steps. This will be the basis of future goals and can help in plotting the course towards the fruition of those goals.
I've collected the important highlights on our previously submitted papers that can form part in answering where I am now. From the enneagram, genogram, external and internal factors they will all aid me in formulating my Personal Strategic Plan.      
Recreating where am I now is like a do it yourself house project. I am made up of different experiences that shaped me to what I have become. I am also made up of the different influences of my family members. I can also say that the important things that happened in my life also has exerted a tremendous influence in what I have become. Putting everything here is an important part of that realization as it will provide me a clearer picture of where I stand.
            I will be enumerating below the key learnings that I've had in the previous paper to illustrate a clear picture of where I am. Understanding the past is the key to planning for the future. The previous papers submitted will form part of the different steps needed to achieve the goals set in this paper.
Step 1
Enneagram
            In this paper I've learned to identify specific strengths that can help me achieve my goals. It also has the specific personalities that identify me. Likewise there are certain attributes that also work against me. My Enneagram showed three types with type 8 as the most dominant trait winged by a type 7 and followd by a type 1 personality. The Enneagram provides a unique set of information about ones self. Knowing the attributes akin to my personality type I can focus on utilizing my strengths and minimizing weaknesses. It can also a jumping board to develop ones character.
Type 8 Challenger/Leader
Strengths
Weaknesses
 generally have powerful instincts
 have a hard time lowering their defenses in intimate relationships
 strong willed
 prone to anger
strong physical appetites
domineering
Decisive
generous to a fault
Practical

Assertive

Energetic

Want to be self-reliant, to prove their strength and resist weakness, to be important in their world, to dominate the environment, and to stay in control of their situation


Type 7 Enthusiast
Strengths
Weaknesses
Extroverted
Impatient
Optimistic
impulsive
Versatile
Prone to addiction
Playful
difficulty acknowledging the pain that others experience
High spirited

Want to maintain their freedom and happiness, to avoid missing out on worthwhile experiences, to keep themselves excited and occupied, to avoid and discharge pain


Type 1 Reformer
Strengths
Weaknesses
conscientious and ethical
highly self- controlled
always striving to improve things
Dissatisfied with reality
Well-organized
Afraid of making a mistake
fine eye for detail

Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone


Step 2
Genogram
            The Genogram shows our influences and our past. It will help us see patterns of behavior that we've inherited. They are widely used as a tool to map family relations, providing an overview of family relationships and patterns. This next step will provide me information regarding my past that will help me understand myself and how I react to different things. It could also help me understand habits and certain beliefs. This step cab help me make personal adjustments since I would know where I am coming from.
My Genogram showed the kind of influences my family has given me. Knowingly or unknowingly all of those influences contributed to who I am now. I actually had a hard time tracing our family tree because I really was not close to my relatives however as I began writing it I began to see a similarity and particular attributes that may indeed have affected me. The key insights for this activity will be shown below.
Key insights
we were taught the importance of education as a way to escape poverty
Time with the family is of paramount importance
displays of affection are not a sign of weakness.
 value of courtesy and respecting people regardless of their stature in life.
Most of family members serve or served the government

Step 3
Movie Synopsis
            From the movie synopsis and Jc Campbell exercise one of the learnings was that our personal journey is also a process. The path to being a hero is peppered with challenges and after its hardest point is where the boon or learning will present itself. Knowing that helped me understand that as I go through life there will be challenges and they are always a part of our learning. That before reaching enlightenment or attaining our goals is where the trials will be hardest. Someone said that the moment we are about to quit is right before the miracles happen, so don't quit.
Step 4
Internal factors and External Factors that shaped me are an important part of achieving my Personal Strategic Plan.
Internal Factors
Optimism – helped me face trials in life
Ability to make friends – gave me the support I need especially in times of need
Inquisitiveness – taught me a lot about things and people
External Factors
Influence of my father and family – the existence of a family with very supportive parents helped me to be a well rounded person
PMA education and training – instilled in me perseverance despite the odds, provided me focus and determination
Discipline instilled by former bosses – helped develop my work ethic, improve my interpersonal skills, served as a model on leadership

Step 5
Defining moments
            Defining moments are important intersections of our lives. They are usually events that made us choose what we are now today. They are trials that tested our character and forced us to make adjustments in our lives. It is important to understand since it provides us information on how people decide. My defining moments are listed below provides a glimpse to the trials I've gone through and how they shaped me.
first defining moment the learning was "foresight". It was knowing what was more beneficial in the long run. That youth is not an excuse for throwing the future. Learning the value of hardwork to put food in the table grounded me and taught me the value of work and anticipating what tomorrow may bring
second moment it taught me to study my craft and take it seriously. That knowledge is a key component of any profession and that success is anchored in competence
third defining moment taught me that leadership is not just about taking care of others but also taking care of one's self.
fourth defining moment taught me the importance of direction. Leadership cannot just be about mission accomplishment and welfare of the men. There must always be a guiding principle or direction that will eventually improve the human state.

Where am I going?
            The next step to my Personal Strategic Plan is to identify specific objectives that will ultimately change me and develop me to become better. Those goals will cater to my Personal and Leadership goals, Relationships (family and friends), Organization, and Community. I have identified specific goals to come up with action oriented first steps to get me going. In the military our leadership is not a career but our way of life. Our decisions as a leader affect our families and friends. They are inevitably intertwined to the choices we make as a leader.
Personal Goals

Goals
Steps required
Physical
Increased stamina
Healthier Body
Continue regular exercise
Watch diet
Join a triathlon
Get enough sleep
Spiritual
Improve relationship with God
Pray more by devoting specific time
Arts/music
Improve photography skills
Learn wind instruments like flute, clarinet or saxophone
Read photography books and attend refresher seminars on photography
Buy an instrument and learn to read the notes
Culture


Learn new culture and understand other people
Travel Europe, Africa and revisit Switzerland
Start saving
SWOT Analysis
Strength
     Discipline
     Inherently Active
Weakness
     Previous injuries
Opportunities
     Sports facilities are readily available
Threats
     Regularly shuttles from Manila- Cebu, hence consistency
     Time constraints







Relationship Goals

Goals
Steps required
Family
Spend more time with family
Go home to Manila on a regular basis
Travel with family more
Parents and siblings
Improve relationship with parents and reconnect with siblings
Make regular additional visits to my parents
Find time to meet siblings at least once a month
Friends
Reconnect with friends
Talk to friends and agree on meeting on a regular basis
Make phone calls to check on them once in a while


SWOT Analysis
Strength
   Enjoys the company of family
     Close family ties

Weakness
    Personal availability
Opportunities
    Rest of the family lives near each other
Threats
     Regularly shuttles from Manila- Cebu, hence consistency
     Time constraints









Organization Goals

Goals
Steps required
Personnel (military and civilian)
Look after their welfare and improve their quality of life
Aggressively seek for their promotions and training
Clients
Improved Info Communication services
 Proactive measures in surveys to better address requirements
Organization
Improve operational and efficiency levels
Dialogue with end users to get feedback
Start planning for eventual expansion

SWOT Analysis
Strength
 Enjoys the trust of my men
In a leadership position, can readily affect change

Weakness
    Lack of funds to support objectives
Opportunities
  Good relationship with other Telecom Companies
Threats
   Rapid technological advances limits capabilities of present equipment










Leadership Goals

Goals
Steps required
Skill/Competence
Improve skills and capabilities
Attend training and seminars especially on new technologies
Judgement/Decision making
Make sound judgements especially on cases/complains and operational matters
 Gather more information prior to making a decision
Listen more
Communication/Relationship
Effectively communicate objectives and policies
Dialogue with men on a regular basis
Provide feedback mechanism

SWOT Analysis
Strength
 Inherently good with people
Enjoys learning

Weakness
    Likes to do many things at the same time
    Lack of focus
Opportunities
  Availiability of good schools in cebu (AGSB)
Threats
  Conflict with work
   Increasing cost of education







Community Goals

Goals
Steps required
Volunteer work
Start doing volunteer work
Hook up with cause oriented institutions
Charitable works
Increase participation in charitable works
 Regularly support an orphanage
Community Development
Involvement in Community activities
Attend regular meetings of the community

SWOT Analysis
Strength
 Inherently good with people
 Sociable
Weakness
    Does not familiarize with neighbors
Opportunities
  Mother is very involved in community and church work
Threats
  Conflict with work
  Time constraints









How do I get there?
Below are the different steps I need to undertake to accomplish my Personal Strategic Plan, there are further questions that serve as check and balance as I go through with my plan.
Steps to take
Better time management – the Personal strategy Plan will really involve sacrifice and time is the hardest to find. Because of this I will prioritize better time management so I could provide ample time to my goals. This will also help me achieve a better work-life balance.
Improve relationships around me – the goals maybe personal but most of the objectives will require help and information from other people. Building good bridges with others is the key in getting that help and information. As one's social network expands so is his access to a variety of things and information
Better personal fiscal policy – with the different objectives in my plan, I've got to be smart with my money. Spending is okay as long as it is really needed and will accomplish a purpose. Lavish spending or worse spending unnecessarily should be altogether avoided to help generate funds that could support the new requirements stated in the plan.
Ask and Explore – going out and learning to question will help me identify new things that could improve me and my organization. Since I am in a technology based organization, it would be a plus if I am exposed to shifts in technology that would ultimately affect the way we do things.
What will your life feel when your plan is working?
When the plan is working everything I do will be aligned in achieving that goal. I will be taking great strides in achieving my goals. An example would be better management of my finances would help support the cost of buying a clarinet or a saxophone which is really expensive. Things will probably be in a good balance. Healthy eating and regular exercise would keep me away from sickness and help me find more time to achieve my goals.
How does it feel when you're not in balance? How do you know you are drifting out of balance?
A good indicator of that would probably my finances. Uncontrolled spending would veer me away from my goals. Another indicator if I am drifting out of balance would be missed deadlines for work. It means that proper disposition has not been given to a particular project and with less time to work on it eventually gets delayed. An upset in the balance would also delay not only specific goals but the totality of the personal strategic plan
What steps will you take when you identify that you are getting out of balance?
Feedback mechanisms are important so that regression can be readily identified and addressed. Be it personal or work related I will be putting up feedback mechanisms to gauge the success of my efforts and detect regression and inefficiency. An example would be maintaining a database of my personal finance will help me track my expenses and warn me if I'm off the track. Regular dialogues with my men will also help me identify concerns to continue improve my organization. An example would be the female soldiers assigned to my organizations, since assigning female soldiers to operational units, leaders of those organizations must be able to adapt to support the requirements of having women serve their organizations in a 24 hour basis. Dialogue with them is a great tool in knowing firsthand how to address those concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment