Friday, December 18, 2015

MM Leadership Final Integrative Paper by Leader Mel Flores

Hi Prof,
Here's my Final Integrative Paper – "My Life Plan". 
Begin with the end in mind.  At the start of the class, we were asked to prepare a learning agreement with the objectives in taking this course.  And I have listed five (5) objectives as follows:
1.    To enhance my competency and credibility as a leader, by acquiring, sharing and improving my knowledge in the technical aspects of leadership. 
2.    To evaluate my strengths and weaknesses as a leader to find ways to fully utilize strengths and complement weaknesses.
3.    To learn the common mistakes of leaders based on researches and discussions to avoid committing the same mistakes.
4.    To study and identify different leadership styles and to identify which pattern shall endeavor to take. 
5.    To understand the challenges facing a leader and to prepare to conquer these challenges.
 
After culminating the class on December 10, 2015, I could say I have achieved these objectives thanks to the (enduring but fulfilling) reflection papers, rich discussions with the other leaders and other activities (debate, teambuilding, bad boss role playing) facilitated by prof.  For me, my best take away from this subject was to realize that one should aspire to become not merely as a "leader" rather a "leader with a purpose".  Below are the various realizations and learnings which I assess can be utilized and greatly guide me in moving towards my pursuit to "live and lead with a purpose". 
WHERE AM I NOW?
Authentic Leadership Pillar 1:  Self-awareness
Leaders are born, made/transformed or situational debate.  The class commenced with a debate on whether leaders are born, made/transformed or arise on situations.  The class was divided into four groups, and I was among the moderators.  Personally, I always thought that leaders are made or transformed, because I believe that whomever we were born from, whatever the circumstances we were from, does not matter.  What matters is what we choose to become.  Because I have always believe that one's fate is within his own control.  But I was amazed at how the "born" group defended their position, and it gave some good insights.  They have laid down that all were born with a potential to become leader.  Then I have come to learn that there are people who are created or push to become leaders due to situations.  This activity was part of self-awareness, because it was important to recognize that our genes (family background), our own conscious decisions and to a large extent the situations that we are exposed to are important aspects that shape us to become leaders.  

Genogram.  A trace of my family tree reflect that I was born from a family of farmers, security agents and teachers (although the family welcomed me taking up accountancy for diversity and for pride to produce a CPA in the family).  This might explain my innate nature of being hardworking, skeptical and knowledge-seeking.  I also now understand that being the middle child somehow influenced me to become a practical problem solver in the family.  This activity indicated that my leadership style and habits have been influenced by family to a certain stage.  It properly guided me with the basic values and principles, which to a large extent guides me in my decision making. 
Internal and external factors that shaped me.  I have come to realize that the person I am today was shaped by many factors.  My beliefs and values were initially shaped by my family's culture and circumstances then changed or tested by the influence of environment from the school and from work experience.      
In most of my forming years, my parents were working overseas and me and my siblings were raised by our grandparents.  We successfully finished our education through their guidance, and I consider the discipline to commit to something was largely shaped by my grandparents. 
High school was a significant period of my life.  At this period, I started to realize that I an individual who can make decisions on my own and take charge on the course of my life.  While college period was more devoted to learning technical skills though it was also a period where you step up and introduce or define who you are to other people. 
Entering the corporate world was to me a period of initial transition from being too idealistic to realistic.  There had been expectations from school and the corporate world proved to be a different real world.  This period required me to define who I really want to be amid pressures from other people, from challenges in difficult situations and from demanding work.   With the influence of family, school and work experiences I have been tested and trained to keep my values such as integrity, transparency, reliability and credibility to keep me a whole person as I want to be.
Enneagram.  My enneagram test results reflected that I am "The Achiever/Motivator".  This personality has tendency to deny own feelings and assumes image and role from society, overly competitive, basic lack of trust (aligns with my genogram – skeptical).  My healthy points based on enneagram are: confident, efficient, energetic, industrious, optimistic, practical, self-propelled, goal-oriented with unhealthy points as: narcissistic, overly competitive, pretentious, superficial, vain and vindictive which are mostly true specially this type being described as frequently hard working, competitive and highly focused in the pursuit of their goals.     
The hero with a thousand faces by Joseph Campbell.  I have chosen the movie "Merlin" as most applicable to depict my journey as a leader.  I am fond of such movies because I am particularly captivated by the possibility of supernatural powers and how people would handle and employ them in the ordinary world with ordinary people in case they are granted with such powers.  In practical sense, I wanted to learn how people with accumulated power (financial, political or economic) would treat or help people with lesser power.   
This activity made me realize that the stages in life that I have gone through, are practically useful to molding me to what I am now – a hero in my own way.  (As this would serve as my personal life plan, I listed the stages to remind me in hard times that a hero need to go through the innermost cave and undergoes supreme ordeal but after that seizes the sword and in the end returns with the elixir).
1.    The hero is introduced in his ordinary world
2.    The call to adventure
3.    The hero is reluctant as first
4.    The hero is encouraged by the wise man or women
5.    The hero passes the first threshold
6.    The hero encounters tests and helpers
7.    The hero reaches the innermost cave
8.    The hero endures the supreme ordeal
9.    The hero seizes the sword
10. The road back
11. Resurrection
12. Return with the elixir
Learning Agreement.  Even before the class we were asked to assess ourselves, determine where we are now and indicate our plans through the learning agreement.  As stated in the agreement my most notable strengths are as follows:   
1.    Competent.  I have earned the respect and loyalty of my colleagues in the Company, first and foremost, because of my being highly competent in my field and in my position.  A leader must know the demands, requirements and the way to achieve a goal for him to be able to direct and influence people to achieve that goal.  Other people (or members of the team) tend to be more engaged if they see they are assigned tasks the leader knows or willing to do himself.
2.    Credible.  The practice of my profession, as a Certified Public Accountant, requires the highest level of integrity.  My practice of ensuring reports and representations are adequate and accurate has been clearly demonstrated and inculcated to all people working under me. 
3.    Innovative.  I live by the motto "Do things BIG (great), or don't do it at all".  When I am given a task, I explore the best it can be done.
In one of my reflections it was also determined that one of my strengths is the ability to balance things out, to foresee the effect of one action by one party to another party, or to other units concerned.  In my organization, this is frequently neglected by the different operating units, each is only looking for the effect and consequences to their own unit or to their function.  They would not care if others will be at risk especially if it would mean extending beyond what is called by their positions.  On a personal level, this has been my strength having to think out the consequences of my choice beyond a certain period, the people immediately affected or certain horizon.  This has made me come up with a decision that I would not regret after a period of time. 
Weaknesses
Two of the weaknesses that put me into difficult situations in achieving my goal are as follows:
1.    Time-consuming.  Due to my desire to complete tasks in a grand manner, allotting a substantial amount of time in planning, executing and delivering results, in some instances I spend more time than allowed or set by authorities.  I always consider all options to come up with the best idea, thus sometimes it's taking me more time to deliver a given task compared with others.
2.    Transparent.  My facial expression clearly depicts my emotions.  During discussions, debates or receipts of reports, I was told my facial expressions easily reflect my feelings of disappointment, objection, etc. though in some cases I hope it won't to maintain healthy working relationship with colleagues and subordinates.
Authentic Leadership Pillar 2:  Ingenuity
The development of a leader is a long process and distinct. I fully understand it is initially shaped by my immediate family who imposed the values that guided my actions.  Then my exposure in the school, with new people and new learnings initiated a change in these values.  The values were subjected to changes based on my own appreciation of data and information.  It was after school, that these values and principles got tested in the work environment.
For one to grow as a leader, one must be open to changes because what we believe to be true at one point of our life may not be true in another period, if given new information and insights.  So we must strive to continually develop and learning from external sources but to keep aware of our internal strengths and weakness and most specially to stay grounded based on our values so that we do not easily persuaded unless it is right to do so.
As mentioned in my future plans, I have and will constantly seek to improve by continuously scanning my environment, to be equipped with proper knowledge and skills to make appropriate decisions that critically affect not only my life but the life of others.  In the same way, I shall keep on track of my personal attributes, ensure my personal values are not compromised because it is by staying and being true to my principles, being in full control of myself, that I be able to lead others and for others to put their faith in me. 
WHERE AM I GOING?
Authentic Leadership Pillar 3:  Love
"The only way to do great job is to love what you do.  If you haven't found it yet, keep looking.  Don't settle.  As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it."  -Steve Jobs  
This reflection helped me definitely identify my passions:
First, I like to be working in a/with a community.  I want to work with people to try to alleviate their struggles by sharing my knowledge and expertise.  Now that I know so much, learned so much, I feel that it would be fulfilling to go back to such communities to introduce solutions, organize tested and effective undertakings to improve their lives. 
This passion is manifested by my interest in reading success stories of Filipino and foreign entrepreneurs who are going out of their way to aid other people.  I love looking and reading their biographies, how they have become successful in their chosen field or ventures and now devote their time and money in helping alleviate the lives of others and wish I could do the same.
Second, I want to learn the nitty gritty of investing in financial markets and immerse in other financial or investing disciplines.  I love analyzing and studying companies, their leaders, decisions and circumstances.  Once I become expert on this, I would also like to share financial literacy especially to OFWs.  If they are able to manage their finances they should be able to set a timeline to settle back to our country and stay with their families.
Authentic Leadership Pillar 4:  Heroic Purpose
There are two main kinds of regrets: things we wish we hadn't done (bad decisions) and things we wish we had done (unfulfilled desires).  I believe that my life's journey should be assessed on two things.  I hope to succeed on these two to say that I have fulfilled my true purpose in life.  First, that I have adequately provided time and support to my family and raised a God-fearing and a good citizen child/ren (with a concern for the welfare of others).  Second, that I have been able to contribute to uplift or touch the lives of others.  I would not regret committing mistakes or bad decisions in the pursuit of these.        
The good influences, and the built up internal strength contributed by many people in my life and by experiences and my own personal learning, will be put into waste if they are not utilize for a good purpose. 
As reflected in my AVP, I aspire to be able to join or organize a group with an advocacy to help others focusing on children's welfare and/or OFWs.
HOW DO I GET THERE?
I found the Strategic Life Plan Template (by MPI Meeting Professionals International) useful and use it as guide in developing this life plan.
Below is a list priority areas in my life together with my goals in each area.
Faith.  This is on top of the list, because I believe that in all pursuits in the other aspects of my life, it should be accompanied or guided by faith in God.  I plan to devote time and render service in church more actively by joining an organization (the choir maybe).  Though I find it more useful to be engage in social services or activities, because to me it is putting God's will in action. 
 
Family.  My goals relative to my family is to spend quality time and adequately provide for our basic needs.  I shall ensure to occasionally spend exclusive time with them by scheduling and planning trips out of town or out of the country.  Despite my weekly hectic schedule, one weekend day shall be devoted to family day.  School activities shall also be priority in my planner.
Health.  Currently, I am actively playing badminton and occasionally running to keep myself fit.  But prospectively, on top of these physical routines, I will sign up (have actually signed up) for yoga activities to acquire physical and inner (emotional) exercises.  I am starting to be selective in food intake to take care of my health which is vital to ensure long life to pursue my aspirations. 
Career.  I commit to continue learning.  I hope to be able to complete my MBA in two years' time.  After this course, I will work on my CFA or CMA certification.  These will make me at par with other certified accountants not only in the Philippines but in the Asean and global arena.    
While I strive to develop my knowledge on technical information, I will also keep on assessing myself, to keep on track to develop my strengths and overcome my weaknesses. 
Community Service.  Although this was listed last, to me this is my ultimate quest.  shall continue to be involve in community outreach programs to be able to achieve a fulfilling life that is not only centered on uplifting my own and my family's life, but the life of others who are in need.  I hope to be engaged in an organization (either join an existing group or organize one) that would help alleviate poverty by providing financial literacy and improve the general welfare of overseas Filipino workers (OFW) and/or children in the Philippines.  

No comments:

Post a Comment