Thursday, December 17, 2015

MM Leadership FIP by Leader Maricon Bangayan

December 17, 2015

Dear Prof Jorge.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  Thank you for being a blessing to us.

I am submitting my last assignment for this course, my final integrative paper.

See you around Prof!

Thank you again.


FINAL INTEGRATIVE PAPER
MM Leader

Begin with an end mind.  This statement is my basis why I chose the Leadership Management Course.  Though I am not yet familiar with that statement, till I attended the Orientation for the New Students, it just came as a realization that it was my intention.  As a leader in terms of corporate duties, as an HR Officer, I want to know how to become a good leader and what are the different leadership styles and things to be considered to be an effective leader.
The Leadership Management Course supposedly to start on September 3 but due to some unavoidable circumstances it was moved to the following week, September 10 <it was nearly cancelled and the decision to go no was not available on that day>.  As a first termer student, I could still remember what my reaction was, I was happy because I am quite nervous to attend class.  Maybe I was having the feeling of fear of the unknown.  Come September 10, the official first day of the class.  The rain was so hard and it was a struggle to go to school.  Considering, I will be travelling from Banawe Quezon City to Rockwell Makati.  But I still managed to attend class and start the first session of the 15 sessions for the course.  And the rest is history.

Where I am now?
The first assignment that we had is creating our Learning Agreement.  One of the details that I need to fill-up in the learning agreement was my objectives why do I take up the course.  I have listed the following:
1.      To be able to acquire additional knowledge apart from what I have learned from College and seminars, etc.
2.      To be able to learn from the experiences of other students which may be beneficial to the company I am connected with.
3.      To develop my communication and social skills.
4.      To expand my horizon and meet other people from different institutions.   
5.      To see myself working for and handles the job consistent with the values of the organization and being able to share the expertise taught at the graduate school with my colleagues.
I am still a work in progress.  I need additional knowledge, experiences, and of course failures to be successful in life.  Because of Leadership Management course, I was able to know the real me and what I really want.  The first point in learning my inner self is realizing my own strengths and weaknesses.  I have to examine myself and be honest of what are my strengths and weaknesses.  And I think being honest to yourself will give you freedom to act and show the real you.  No pretensions and indeed with convictions. 

The Enneagram is a personality test that I took which describes my personality.  I have mentioned in class that I took the test twice and show the same result – Type 2 wing 3 – I am a Helper/Carer.  It is quite interesting that one of the suggested or related jobs for this type is an HR Officer.  I am presently an HR officer of a SPED School in Quezon City.  I am thinking that right now I am in the right path in terms of work based on my enneagram result.  Though I think I can still excel in other responsibilities through hard work and goal setting.




We had the Genogram, which displays our family map.  I understood that the importance of this activity is being able to know the type of relationship I had with my immediate relatives and knowing the medical history of my family.  Not being boastful but I did not have a hard time tracing my family map.  Simply because we were raised by our parents to be familiar and be respectful to our immediate relatives for both sides (father and mother sides).  My family tree or map is very simple.  We do not belong to a rich clan but I guess my family is rich in its own way.  My family supports each other in whatever ways they can, and that is the strong point of our family.  Through the lessons imparted to me by my parents, I always see to it that I look back to my roots and never take them for granted.  My family is a big part of who I am now.  What I experienced and learned from them while growing up inspire me of who I want to be.

We also had a movie synopsis that is related or linked to my own life story.  My own life story is a movie in the making.  I was able to realize that life is a series of ups and downs.  It is how I will be able to face the struggles and enjoy the joys of life.  It is important to have a support system most especially your family.  The movie I chose and my life story are two different stories, no connection nor similarities at all.  But what is common, is that the realization, that acceptance and facing the consequences of your actions and decisions.  Learning to be humble and sorry for the wrong doings is essential in life.  I will be always grateful to God for the gift of life and for those people who are always here to help me.  I will continue to count my blessing, no big or small.  I hope to be an inspiration to others so these people will have a better view in life and they themselves will be an inspiration to others also.  I will always consider my experiences as a learning tool to make me strong and face every single problem.

I was also given the chance to examine the internal and external factors that affect me.  Internal and external factors affect the way we think, the decisions that we made and how we handle situations that we are facing.  I am thankful that I was able to look into myself and gather my thoughts what brings about how I become the person I am now.  Knowing my values, strengths and weaknesses will definitely help me to be a good leader.  I am so grateful that I was blessed with a very loving and supportive family, my parents, siblings and my own family – my husband and children.  I am motivated to finish my MBA degree because my family believes in me and very supportive of me.  They always extend a helping hand in case I might need their help.  Having such a good hearted family gives me an inspiration to do well in what I do. I told myself that I will always share the blessings that I will receive.  I have experienced sad moments in life but I welcome everything with arms wide open because these experiences will help me a better person.  I consider all of my experiences as a learning tool that will be useful to my decisions and undertakings. School and work experiences are factors that also moulded me to become the person that I am now.  Lessons learned from school have been very significant in my line of work.  I was able to contribute to my present company and I guess it helps a lot in developing my personality.  Knowing my values, my strengths and weaknesses aids in developing my personality.  Make the most of my strengths and do something to improve my weaknesses.  Values that I've learned since I was a kid will always be my guiding principles in life.  I will have my own conviction and do things based on what I know that is right and I can stand for it.  Strength and weaknesses should always be assessed or analyzed because knowing these will help me be aware of myself and thus be a good leader in the future.  The internal and external factors are important in developing oneself.  As long as I have my family with me there are no obstacles that I can't do.  I know that life will not be a bed of roses and I may encounter trials but with the guidance from above and love of my family, I can surpass all of them.  The defining moment that really shaped me where I am now is the fact that I grew up in a simple family.  Living in a simple life makes me strive for the better and dream big for my family.  I want to do more and be more (MAGIS). 

Where I am going?
As a topic of my CTA, about giving a special love to special children and most especially to our regular kids, I can see clearly now that my passion is to get involved with kids with special needs.  As what I have shared in class, I got my job, HR Officer of SPED School accidentally.  I was only looking for a summer activity for my son who has an ADHD unfortunately the summer program has already ended.  That was the time I saw their vacancy.  I thank God for this gift of job.  Maybe God is giving me a message that He will not only give me a summer program but instead a lifelong commitment.  But maybe He is giving me an additional task – to be one of the voices of these children.  I am praying that I can relay their unheard voices and I will be able to inspire everyone that these kids need acceptance and love.

My five year plan includes becoming a Human Resource Planning Director, to be a General Operations Manager and eventually I am looking forward to manage my own pre-school and if not so, at least a business partner.  I can also be a College Professor upon completion of my MBA study. 

Fulfilling my five year plan or goal entails dedication, hard work, perseverance and patience.  There is a lot to be done on my part.  It has to begin within me.  As Leader Alex shared on our last session that to be motivated is great but to inspire others is incredible.  I want to inspire others through my words and actions. 

How do I get there?
I will make sure that everything I learned from my Master's Degree will be put in action.  I will continue to look into my deeper self to develop my authentic self.  Praying and hoping that someday the old me which is a work in progress will eventually be an Authentic Leader.  In future, I can impart to others how to be an authentic leader. 

My Learning with the Leadership Class
Debate – Leaders are born, made and situational
It was really my first time to be a part of a debate team or group.  I am usually the audience and would only listen to the speaker and how fluent and articulate they say their speech.  To be a part of the moderator groups is quite satisfying.  Thanks to Leader Khris, because through her I was able to know how to give points to each speaker and how to evaluate the group.  Group activities strengthen the relationship between members and I think this group activity started it all.

Bad Boss – Plan a Crime
In our group we are of different professions, I am an HR Officer and a teacher, Leader Maye is a flight attendant, Leader Cat is an advocate of animal welfare and Leader Atty. Leigh is a lawyer.  It is unbelievable that all of us have contributed to the planning of the crime.  We are able to share our experiences, talents and knowledge for the success of the activity.  Though, we did not have a face to face meeting only through online chat but we still managed to deliver the assignment on time.  Knowing each other skills and openness to one another is the key to have a successful output in the activity.

Leadership in Movies
The first struggle in this activity is to choose a movie.  I am not quite sure what movie to discuss since I am in a way shy that the movie I will choose is a feel good movie and not a movie which entails wisdom and intelligence to understand.  But as Prof Jorge always says, do not imitate others and be yourself.  I discussed my old time favourite movie, "My Best friend's wedding." 

Follow the leader GW
This is an interesting activity.  The group shares in class activities that stimulate thinking, child at heart, and physical moves.  Sometimes we should go out of the box to have a break period of what we are constantly doing.  Through this activity we tend to have a new and bright perspective for our next activity.

Team Building at Prado Farms
This is my much awaited activity, a venue outside Manila, a time to relax as well as to learn.  The activities prepared by the Committee are very interesting.  I salute and very grateful to Leaders Maye, Jermits, Richard and Cat for a job very well done.
Grocery List Activity - this is a game of strategy and internet speed, right Erika?  We were able to complete the grocery list first but because of low internet speed of Erika's mobile phone, our photo was uploaded late.  But still a great experience.
Cheering – we were not chosen the winner maybe because we were not coordinated.  Next time, if there is, I would suggest using a common song so everyone can join and have a successful cheering chant.
Baby Pictures – speaking for both groups, it was so amazing that every one of us has our baby pictures, saved on usb, facebook, and others.  It only shows that we never forget our past because our past embodies who we are right now.
Marshmallow Tower – this is a difficult and a controversial task.  I guess the edge of our group is that we follow the rules.  One of the strategies we made is that we made sure that the falling parts of tower were immediately fixed so as not to add damage to the tower.  Maybe because of that strategy, our tower stood for a long time.  Lesson learned: help each other to the top and for sure we will be able to achieve a good relationship with each other.
Takeshi's Castle – a strategy and a physical game.  Before the game, I already informed my group mates that I am not an athletic type of person, so plan immediately.  Though they planned to put me in front to be attacked first, it was not a problem with me.  I know that the strategy is nothing personal but for the common good of the group.
Befriending Prado Farm Staff – this is my favourite activity.  I am typically shy to people I don't know.  But once I get to know them I feel comfortable dealing with them.  I really don't know how to go about this activity.  I even asked my husband to accompany me but he refuses because he told me that this is a class activity and it is not good to see that he intrudes with the activity.  I just told myself that I need to do this for the group and for myself.  Fortunately, I was able to meet five Prado staff.  This activity taught me a lot.  I was able to conquer my shyness in asking or talking to people.  To date, I think until now I am still practicing the strategy I used in Prado in my daily life.  I am fortunate to have a talk with these guys because I got to know some of their family background, hobbies and future plan.

Call to Arms (Speech)
When I learned that one of the activities of this class is speech, I was excited and nervous.  Yes, excited, because it is one of my dream to conduct an inspirational talk or message to group of people.  I have conducted work-related orientation and small group talks but still I want to deliver message to people that can inspire them.  It was hard to think of a topic for my speech.  But because I am now embracing my calling to be a representative of the special children, might as well talk about it.  I can still remember when my former boss would ask me to type her speech and I was so amazed with her because she knows when the crowd will clap or laugh.  From that day on, I am always wondering when will be my own time to deliver a speech.  Yes, my time has come; I will be delivering a speech in front of class, 15 persons listening to what I have to say.  But unfortunately, I was not able to attend class, so I will be delivering my speech during our team building activity.  It was not only speech in front of 15 persons but with additional audience, the work mates of Leader Ana, the girlfriend of Leader Richard and most especially my better half.  Leader Maye asked me if I felt conscious because my husband was there, I told her that I just hoped that I did not disappoint him.  I hoped that he will be proud of how I deliver my speech.  I am thankful to Leader Mel and Leader Leigh for appreciating my speech and voted me as one the best speeches.  Also, special mention to Leader Mel, for a wonderful blog comment.  I was so happy that somebody appreciated what I have written.

AVP
Unlike others, this is not my first time to make an AVP but this is my first time to make an AVP about my life.  What is more rewarding is that I am able to understand myself and I was able to know my different roles.  In every role I am playing I make sure that I did my best and give a very special love to all people that come my way.  Looking at my old photos, make me smile because I know I changed, I really changed, physically and mentally.  The AVP is the summary of my accomplishment as an individual, as a leader.  

Reflection Papers
In every reflection papers that I made, there are learning that I acquired.  I was able to know my defining moments in life, the internal and external factors that shaped me, and of course my passion.  Doing the reflection papers, give me the chance to dig deeper to my thoughts and feelings.  Through this, I will admit that doing the reflection papers can't be deceived because it tackles my own personal experiences, analysis of my ideas and gathering my emotions.  Also, because of the reflection papers I think I improved a lot in terms of written communication.

Every Session Discussion
September 17, 2015 Session – We have discussed that "God puts you where you are needed."  It is self-awareness and appreciation of what we are doing.  We also looked into "The Pencil Parable".  It was a very motivating parable for all leaders.  It describes that life is a series of ups and downs and we have to face everything with open arms.  At the end, the learning that we got is the most important.  You will become the best person you can be.

September 24, 2015 Session – Leadership is influencing others.  According to Peter Drucker, what makes an effective executive?
·         Ask what needs to be done – get the knowledge you need
·         Ask what's right for the enterprise

Convert your knowledge into action:
·         Develop action plans
·         Take responsibility for decisions
·         Take responsibility for communicating
·         Focus on opportunities, not problems

Ensure companywide accountability:
·         Run productive meetings
·         Think and say "we" and not "I"

Social Skill – building rapport with others to move them in desired directions.

October 1, 2015 Session – Triad of Leadership
1.    Purpose (vision) – business success
2.    Character – compassion, ethical, honesty
3.    Ability – education, skills, planning skills

Similarities
·         What needs to be done
·         To work for an agenda

Differences
Management – Plan and Budget, organizing and staffing, controlling activities and solving problems
Leader – set directions, align people, motivates and inspires

What is the new learning?  Prepare the organization for change and help them cope.  Companies can be over-managed but under led.

October 8, 2015 Session – Malcolm Gladwell's Book – Cognitive Hurdle – know the culture of the company – Life, Love, Labor and Legacy.

October 15, 2015 Session – Who are the credible organization?
1.    Church
2.    Schools/Academe
3.    Government
4.    Businesses

Jesuit Leadership – own individual leadership; ingenuity; to find themselves

October 29, 2015 Session – The new learning:
1.    Leadership and Power
2.    Mahatma Gandhi
3.    Filipino Leadership
a.    A. Bonifacio
b.    J. Rizal
c.    Heneral Luna
4.    Pres. Xi Jinping

Leaders must have iron fist but with velvet gloves.

Leaders are look up to what they say, what they do and who they are.
Legitimate Power – rewards, punishment, referent, personal and expertise.

Summary:
According to Chris Lowney, a leader is twice born.  This statement makes sense.  It means that each one of us is a leader in our own way.  We just have to wait for the moment, the tipping point in our life, which will require us to be an authentic leader.  How to be an authentic leader based from Lowney?  To become an authentic leader:
·         We have to understand our strengths, weaknesses, values and worldview – which in this course we were able to achieve through our reflection paper 2 (internal and external factors) and learning agreement;
·         confidently innovating and adapting to embrace a changing world – this is done through our CTA and reflection paper 3 (my passion);
·         engaging others with a positive and loving attitude – this is through the reflection paper 1 (my defining moments), movie synopsis versus own life story and avp;
·         energizing themselves and others through heroic ambitions – exhibited in our team building, follow the leader group activity, bad boss plan a crime and recitations every sessions.

Also, I read one of the articles sent to us and this article really inspires me.  This is an article by James Kouzes and Barry Posner, LEADERSHIP BEGINS WITH AN INNER JOURNEY.  According to the article these will be the inner journey a leader must go through:
·         Believe that your words can inspire and your action can move others;
·         Believe that what you do counts for something;
·         Discover who you are and what you care about – self-awareness;
·         you can demonstrate leadership at any age

It was also discussed in the article that leadership is a process of internal discovery.  Leadership takes place every day and leadership can come from anyone.  To become a better leader, it is important to define values and principles.  Without looking within oneself, it is not possible to look at others and recognize their potential and help others become leaders.  Becoming a leader begins when you come to understand who you are, what you care about, and why you do what you do.

Leader must stand for something.  People are admired because of unwavering commitment to principles; they stand for something.  Leaders are expected to have the courage of their convictions.
Leadership is personal – hopes, dreams, talents and expectations, and loves.  As leader, people want to know your values and beliefs, what you really care about.  Knowing oneself is helpful in guiding one's decision.  To become a leader, dig beneath the surface and find out more about the events that shaped him, the beliefs that informed him, and the values that guided him.

Listen to the voice inside that tells you what's truly important and mean it.  Leadership is putting your ear to your heart and just listening.  The clearer you are, the easier it is to stay on the path you have chosen.

As I have mentioned, my goal in taking up Leadership Management because I want to be an effective leader through refining myself with leadership styles which I can adapt and apply immediately.  To my surprise, the course is not becoming a good leader through teaching us styles of being a good leader but rather our inner journey to bring out our authentic self.  Knowing our authentic self will surely reflects in our words and actions and thus will manifest that we are an effective leader.  Before we can lead others we must first know our inner self so our decisions will not be based from others but from what we know and what we want to do.

As Leader Leigh has mentioned, this Leadership class has a great impact in our lives.  We became aware of what we want to do, why we want to do it and pursue it because we have already established our convictions.

I am thankful that I became a part of this class.  Since majority of the class are first termer, I did not feel that studying MBA is tiring.  The leaders in the class are all positive individuals which their attitude is very inviting.  There is no dull moment or tough session with them especially if Leader Gab is around.  Leader Gab makes sure that we are not hungry during sessions.  I am looking forward to be sharing the same room with these people again.  I am so thankful that I got the chance to meet them. 

To our dear Professor Saguinsin, thank you for sharing with us your authentic self.  May you continue to be a blessing to others.
I am summarizing this Leadership Management with a line from the article of James Kouzes and Barry Posner, this is also my ending statement in my avp: Starting with the inner journey gives you the confidence to take the right turns, to make the tough decisions, to act with determination, and to take charge of your Life.

I had a great first term and I am hoping that the next terms would be as great as my first term.  It is a good start.


Truly yours,

Maricon P. Bangayan
MM Leader
  



No comments:

Post a Comment