Monday, December 14, 2015

MM Leadership - Reflection Paper 3 My Passion by Leader Maye Gutierrez


                                   REFLECTION PAPER # 3 OF MM LEADER MAYE A. GUTIERREZ (2nd submission)



I was 12 years old when I took my first airplane ride bound from Manila to San Francisco, California.  What was funny was that I was more excited to see an airplane than to see America. I remember my mom had suits especially tailored for us so we could look photogenic in our airplane photos.

I must admit, I didn't enjoy my first airplane ride.  I felt claustrophobic.  Take –offs and landings made me clench my fist and call on all of the Saints I know.  Turbulence made me nauseous and the barf bag became my new found friend.  I was terrified to look out the window thinking that if I move a bit, the airplane would tilt sideways.  I found inflight meals disgusting and I chose to go hungry than force myself to partake of it. To make the long story short, I managed to cross the Pacific with a dehydrated body, an empty stomach and a full bladder.

I remember there were 3 occasions that made me smile on that trip. First was when the charming flight attendant said hello to me as I boarded the airplane. Second was when she called me by my first name as she offered my kiddie meal and orange juice.  Third was when she bid me goodbye as I disembarked from the plane in my already stinky, wrinkled suit.  

It was my Tito Danny, who I was sitting next to on that flight, who said, "When you grow up, be a flight attendant and see the world for free." And that started it all…..

My first trip didn't become my last.  Many years passed and I was already that flight stewardess who brought smiles to giddy faces.  I was the one who, in spite of your acrophobia, tried to make your flight pleasantly memorable.  I helped you arrive in better shape….

                     What is my passion and how did I know that it was my passion?

Flying has been my passion and I'm lucky that I didn't have to struggle so much to identify it.

My FIRST SIGN that traveling is my passion:  When I was young, just by the mere thought of being able to wear a flight attendant's uniform made the energy frequencies in my body move violently.

I had a stewardess friend who introduced me to the lifestyle of a crew.  In fact, I always borrowed her photo albums just to see where flying has brought her.  I witnessed how her social training course transformed her from being a shy girl to a polished lady.   I joined the flying team primarily because I wanted my parents to see America again without having to pay exorbitant airfares.

The SECOND SIGN that traveling is my passion:  I gave my best efforts to get hired in the airline business.  I wanted it desperately.

While waiting for the recruitment dates for flight attendants, I took that opportunity to prepare myself for the job.  I finished College and earned my diploma to give me unbeatable edge over other applicants. I enrolled at the John Robert Powers personality course to polish my looks and my social graces.  I went to the gym for a strange reason-- I wanted my body be stretched to its limits so I won't fall short of the height requirement. When the call for hiring was announced, I was confident and all prepped. That winning smile plastered on my face for many hours became my initial passport to see the world.

My THIRD SIGN that traveling is my passion:  I could have shifted to do ground duties but I decided to stay on and on….  In fact, I didn't realize that my stay was enough too long until I was already receiving loyalty service awards.  As the saying goes, "Time flies so fast, when you are having fun."

To be honest, my flying life wasn't all smooth.  There were international time zones to cross which took a toll on my eye bags and varicose veins. I had difficult passengers to deal with who tested my grace under pressure.  I had episodes of homesickness most especially during the cold winter nights.  But looking back, I consider living in and out of a suitcase euphoric.  The airplane became my second home and my suitcase became my reliable companion….

FOURTH SIGN: I was good with my work.  I received complimentary letters left and right.  I got perfect attendance awards and service excellence awards.   And this was all because I did what I loved best.

My career in travel proved that I had been living a life of passion all along. I mingled with the Heads of States, with Hollywood celebrities, and with the rich and famous.  Over all, it was a charmed life. I had breakfast in Paris, lunch in Shanghai and dinner in New York.  I shopped till I dropped. 

FIFTH SIGN:   I was given the unique opportunity to help lots of  people. I served a noble purpose.

From my earnings, I was able to send scholars to school. (PCCCI, Unicef, Xavier ERDA)  I became more generous to charities and disaster stricken communities. I got to spoil my parents and my siblings with their needs. I shared my knowledge of my training to other aspiring flight crew. I joined outreach programs. I paid it forward….

 FIFTH SIGN that flying is my passion:  If I were to live my single life all over again, I would still choose to be a flight attendant. Period.

Many more new, exciting destinations opened up but as the saying goes, some good things must end to give way for better things to come.  And after many years of take-offs and landings, I finally decided it was time to say goodbye to the job that made me what I am today.  And when my last operating flight touched down in Hongkong, I cried…and I cried…and I cried.

It's been two and a half years since I "parked my wings" and adventure still continues.  In fact, family trips are more frequent now because I am not restricted to tight rosters anymore. My husband and I get to be blissful honeymooners again. My children's horizons continue expanding as they marvel at what the universe can offer. (By the way, let it be known that when I retired from flying, the perks of discounted air tickets came with it…...HOORAY!!!…) 

                                                                  What is my new learning?

Passion, like true love, can happen more than once in our lifetime. We just have to continue searching for whatever it is that can make us happy.  As for me? I am now living a life of newly discovered passions —---as a student and a homemaker. Now, I give my full time to taking care of God's greatest gifts to me—my parents, siblings, my husband and my children and to all those near and far.  My passion is now living a life of Proverbs 32 which is that of a noble wife. The Bible describes her as "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many women do noble things but you surpass them all."

And as I continue to discover what else is in store for me, I shall forever look back and remain grateful for a life well-traveled.

Dear Prof. Saguinsin,

Greetings! I submitted this reflection paper 3 a few weeks back (right after we went for teambuilding) but it was not reflected in your blog posts.  I am submitting this for the second time for your reference. 

Thank you,

Leader Maye Gutierrez MBA MM








No comments:

Post a Comment