Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Regis Cebu Leadership Movie Synopsis, Analysis of J.Campbelll Monomyth and My Life Story by Leader Juvelon Abante

Regis Cebu Leadership Movie Synopsis, Analysis of J.Campbelll Monomyth and My Life Story by Leader Juvelon Abante
Synopsis of Movie "Facing The Giants"
An action-packed drama about a Christian high school football coach who uses his undying faith to battle the giants of fear and failure.  In six years of coaching, Grant Taylor has never led his Shiloh Eagles to a winning season. After learning that he and his wife Brooke face infertility, Grant discovers that a group of fathers are secretly organizing to have him dismissed as head coach.           Devastated by his circumstances, he cries out to God in desperation. When Grant receives a message from an unexpected visitor, he searches for a stronger purpose for his football team.   He dares to challenge his players to believe God for the impossible on and off the field. When faced with unbelievable odds, the Eagles must step up to their greatest test of strength and courage. What transpires is a dynamic story of the fight between faith and fear.
HERO HAS A THOUSAND FACES OUTLINE

1)           THE HERO IS INTRODUCED IN HIS ORDINARY WORLD
Coach Grant Taylor is a high school football coach of Shiloh Eagles. He is married but with no kids. He dedicate most of his time coaching and planning his football team. For the last six years, his Shiloh Eagle team has not been to the finals or even the playoffs.  The Shiloh Eagles team is one of the worst performing football team in the league.  His players are used to losing and not motivated to winning. The football players are only complying as part of the sports scholarship program.  They are not motivated to win. Losing has been the mindset of the players for the past six years and even Coach Grant Taylor cannot do anything to change his players and turn the tables.
Back at home, when Coach Grant arrives, he usually discuss his problems over his Shiloh Eagle team rather than talk to his wife on things that matter to her such as raising a child because Brooke is already longing to raise a child of her own.
  
2)           THE CALL TO ADVENTURE
Before the new season starts, his best player transferred to another school because of the parent's decision as they see that school will not bring a future of being a good football player with playing for a losing team. After experiencing 3 straight losses at the start of the new season, a group of fathers from the players including alumni have plan to fire Coach Grant. Coach Grant is surprised by this news because he has dedicated his whole life in coaching and building this team for the past 6 years.
To make the matters worst, they discovered that her wife Brooke has been diagnosed to infertility which makes Brooke depress over the fact that they cannot have their own family.

3)           THE HERO IS RELUCTANT AT FIRST
Face with these challenges at school and with her wife, he almost quit but he comes to God and pray to overcome these challenges.

4)           THE HERO IS ENCOURAGED BY THE WISE OLD MAN OR WOMAN
The following day, he had an unexpected friend. His friend encourages him and motivates him to never give up despite the adversities that he is facing. To dedicate to God everything he do, be it losing or winning. To glorify God at all times and Good things will happen to those who have faith in God.

5)           THE HERO PASSES THE FIRST THRESHOLD
Using his faith to God, he met the team and calls of the daily morning practice instead he delivers a strong message to the team. To dedicate their life to God and have faith in God just as they play their hearts out to God. It was a challenge for Coach Grant to motivate his team because of the losing mindset as players are skeptical if these can be of big help. But with the trust in his team, the team agrees and support Coach Grant.

6)           THE HERO ENCOUNTERS TESTS AND HELPERS
As Coach Grant started to practice in the field, challenging and putting game plans, the plan for his removal from the coaching job is still on its way.

7)           THE HERO REACHES THE INNERMOST CAVE
Using new practice skills from Coach Grant, the players are complaining and don't want to follow the new system being introduced. This is because of the new learning and style and the players are required to communicate to each other more often. These reluctances by the players gave Coach Grant a hard time motivating the team.

8)           THE HERO ENDURES THE SUPREME ORDEAL
Because if this new system, while on practice the players are fighting and brawl has started between players. Even the team captain started the fight and loses his confidence to Coach Grant.

9)           THE HERO SEIZES THE SWORD
But the circumstances of fighting do not remove the faith of Coach Grant to his team. He suddenly call one of his player to do the "Death Crawl". A player will be blindfolded to crawl at least 50 yards but with another player leaning on his back.
All players bet that this can't be done but when Coach Grant encourages the member to never quit as he almost fall down crawling. Surprisingly, the player did not crawl only the required 50 yards but it was already the end yard. This become the defining moments of Coach Grant and his players as he redeem the Team's Trust and Support of Never Quit to God.

10)        THE ROAD BACK
The Shiloh Eagles now are ready to face the opponents armed with a new mindset. A winning and a motivated mindset to face the opponents.

11)        THE RESURRECTION
The Shiloh Eagles team have won their next game.  This became a surprise because they have beaten one of the strongest team in the league. Removing all the doubts for the Shiloh Eagles.

12)        THE RETURN OF ELIXIR
Coach Grant and Siloh Eagles have now earn the respect of the league. Coach grant transform the team to one of the successful winning team in the history of Highschool football league.
  
MY REFLECTION

1)           THE HERO IS INTRODUCED IN HIS ORDINARY WORLD
I would like to reflect my chosen movie to how I started my leadership career at my current company. In 2005, I graduated as Electronics Engineering in Mapua, took the board exam by 2006 and got hired by Fluor Daniel Inc. Philippines as part of their Engineering New Graduate Program.  I was part of the Control Systems Engineering and my first job is control systems design. Years passed, I have developed my skills and career with the company. I was recognized as Subject Matter Expert, a distinguish award given to individuals who shows exemplary skills in the area of Engineering and Design.

2)           THE CALL TO ADVENTURE
I have been a star individual performer for most of the time. I am recognized for my efforts yet I feel something is missing with my career experience. I realize that I now want to be a Project Lead rather that will manage my own team. I know I am star performer but I also want to lead a team of my own. Plan, Organize, Lead and Control my own team.
In late 2011, I have talked to my Department Manager with regards to my career plan, he was supportive but during that time there is no new project awarded that I could start to lead. A few months later, a window of opportunity have open; the company has just finished putting up the new Cebu office and my Manager wants me to be part of the core group that will start the Cebu Team.

3)           THE HERO IS RELUCTANT AT FIRST
I was excited with the Cebu office opportunity; however I suddenly realize that a big challenge awaits me as I have no experienced leading a project. I will be working with new faces, new work ethic. I can be sure that I can perform individually but I became doubtful of myself if I am really ready to be a Project Lead even Lead the Cebu Control Systems Team.

4)           THE HERO IS ENCOURAGED BY THE WISE OLD MAN OR WOMAN
I went to my cousin's house to seek some advice because he is a Sales Lead for Insurance Company and he is my closest relatives that I can always count to and discuss things such as work, family and career. Because he really knew me since childhood, he knows that I have no problem in dealing with people. I can easily adjust to any working environment and encourage me to just be in myself and my natural leadership capability will arise.
I accept the assignment, and in Septembr 4, 2011 I became part of the history of Fluor Cebu office opening and eventually met my Wife also in Fluor Cebu.

5)           THE HERO PASSES THE FIRST THRESHOLD
Fast forward, I have train and lead Cebu members in executing Fluor Projects. I have become a Project Lead by 2013. One of the first challenges I have encountered is working with my counterpart Project Lead that is located in Manila. Since this project is a joint effort between Manila and Cebu, I had to talk regularly with my Manila counterpart. This became my struggle for the past 2 months of the project but when my Team did an outstanding job and recognized by the project, I earn the respect of the Manila Project Management group including my counterpart.

6)           THE HERO ENCOUNTERS TESTS AND HELPERS
Just I started my career as project lead; my father has been diagnosed with Gastric Cancer. It was really a tough time for my Family. Since my mother is working abroad, my sister took care of my Father as I am residing and working in Cebu. I traveled almost every weekend to be with my father and support my sister in taking care of our father.

7)           THE HERO REACHES THE INNERMOST CAVE
The cancer treatment is expensive and even if our Mother works abroad, it can't cover all the operating expenses for the treatment. My Dad health insurance has already been max out. We have to go to PCSO to get financial aid for the hospitalization and medicines.

8)           THE HERO ENDURES THE SUPREME ORDEAL
In July 31, 2013 I was about to board the plane going back to Manila when I received a call. It is my sister, she is crying so loud and my tears began to fall immediately, I knew that our Father has passed away and I did not able to see him for the last minute before he died.
It was so painful that I sometimes blame myself that if I didn't agree with the Cebu Assignment I would be able to watch and be with my Father.

9)           THE HERO SEIZES THE SWORD
After my father's death, I have decided to continue my career here in Cebu. I have decided that I will make my father proud even if I am here in Cebu and continue to work hard as he always remind of us.

10)        THE ROAD BACK
As I get back to my project lead role, It has been clear to me the road I am going to path to develop my career. It was those time, that I have started to fulfill one of my goals that I always shared with my cousin that is to have a degree in MBA.

11)        THE RESURRECTION
I have successfully finished leading my first project and it was a success. We have met the project Key Performance Indicators and we are rewarded with an incentive for our good performance. My Leadership was recognized by the Management and I was nominated for stretch assignments to further enhance my leadership skills including training programs that focus on development of leadership skills.

12)        THE RETURN OF ELIXIR
Today, I am now one of the pillars of our Department and part of the Regional Talent Development Team, a program for those potential leaders that will lead the company in the future. I continue being a project lead and conduct coaching and mentoring to the young engineers of the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment