Monday, December 14, 2015

Regis Cebu Leadership: Reflection Paper 2- External and Internal Factors That Shaped Me by Leader Gem S. Reuyan

Dear Prof. Jorge,

Please see my Reflection Paper 2.

===========

Regis Cebu Leadership:  External and Internal Factors That Shaped Me by Leader Gem S. Reuyan Reflection Paper 2

1.   External -  what are family, environment school and work experience that shaped you today?
2.   Internal  -  your values, strength, weakness and how do they affect on how you decide act
3.   How do they prepare you for your future challenges..


I am a product of my experiences, of how I was brought up by my family and who I am associated with. The way I respond to different circumstances is a product of my decision which is a reflection of my strengths and weaknesses. 

External factors

Family.  I was raised by two hardworking people.  My mother spent full time attending to our needs when we were still young.  I would say, she has the most difficult profession in the world – she is a mother, a wife and a housekeeper. My mother was very cautious and protective.  That is the reason why I'm not an outdoor or "sporty" person during my early years. In fact, I never learn how to bike, swim or any sports. We were not allowed to do those since we might suffer injuries and the like. I think I got my being extra cautious from my mother.

My father worked as an overseas contract worker when we were still young. But even if he was away, I never felt his absence for he sends us pictures and gifts.  When he returned home, he ventured to rattan business.  In business there are some ups and downs. I'm happy that my father was able to sustain the family.  We don't have the nicest house but we have enough food, clothing and education.  My father is a problem solver and a strategist. Most of his relatives and friends ask for his advice or opinion.  We was good at providing logical reasons.  I think my being a lawyer was inspired by my father although he did not really encourage me to go to law school.

I grew up with three sisters. I am the third in the family.  My eldest sister works as lawyer; the second one works as office clerk and the youngest works with the government.  My sisters are my best friends. We grew up together and we were never really apart from each other until we were fully grown up. Having three sisters have both advantages and disadvantages. They can relate to you and give you advice. However, I can only get the perspective of a woman on certain issues.  I'm glad I have my closest uncles and cousins on the side who are supportive of us. My sisters and I may not agree at all times but we all respect each other. I can trust them without a doubt and they don't not judge me. I know their love and care are unconditional.

My Spouse. My greatest influencer and critique is my spouse. He is God fearing and loving. He has a profound impact in my life. He is my guide and inspiration.  I stay happy and positive in life because of him. Each day we make sure that we talk and discuss our plans and the future.  We may not be blessed with all that our heart desires but we are contented with all the blessings that we receive.


School and Friends. Like most other children my early years and adulthood time were spent in school. In high school, I studied in a conservative Catholic School. I follow strict uniform code, where we are not allowed to dye our hair, no make-up, and we were mandated to speak the English language whenever inside the campus.  I first learned how to be truly disciplined in school.



In college I belong to a "block" class where most of my classmates are achievers and diligent. We were like one big family and I consider everyone to be my friends but only one or two of them to be my closest. I easily evade "peer pressures" since I am not really a conformist. I am not afraid to be different. In fact many of them consider me as an innovator since I don't follow trends.  My friends are fairly limited to my classmates because that's where I spend most of my time.  We live in another city a few kilometers away from school.

Law school taught me how to work smart.  With limited time for school and work I have to find ways to balance my time. I learned that I should be able to allocate my time and resources properly in order to be successful.  I belong to the scholar's class.  We enjoyed free tuition fees and books provided that we maintain a certain grade.  I am happy that my friends in school are helpful and accommodating.


Work Experience

My work took me to places I have never travelled before. I was able to travel in many places in the Philippines. I audit different companies across the country. My audit work required a lot of time and hard work. I also learn not to be shy otherwise, I will not be able to do my tasks interviewing clients and reviewing their work. I should have the confidence to face the management of the company and present my recommendations.  My very first foreign trip (Singapore, India and Sri-Lanka) was because of work.  I experienced different cultures and meet different people with various practices and beliefs. One wonderful experience I have encountered is to attend wedding celebrations in India. It amazes me how we differ in culture and practices.  My work and travels opened my eyes to the different side of the world.

During the early part of my employment, my friends are the seniors in the office. They are seniors not only in rank but in age.  I have learned a lot from my colleagues as they share their family problems and life's challenges. Some of them would say that I am advance for my age as my group of friends in the office are the old ones. My work also has a great influence on how I live.  Working in a manufacturing company for example has taught me different efficient practices such as lean manufacturing, six sigma, 5S and principles like "do it right the first time".  I have undergone several trainings and seminars in order to improve not only my working habits but also my personal life.

A Wise Man Knows All, Only Fools Know Everything – Proverb

Internal Factors:


Strengths

My top strength according to my Harrison Assessments are:

"1. Analytical – the tendency to logically examine facts and situations. I enjoy and tend to frequently analyze problems and decisions.  This will have somewhat a positive impact on my job satisfaction and/or performance.
2.  Analyzes Pitfalls – the tendency to scrutinize potential difficulties related to a plan or strategy. I am therefore extremely mindful when it comes to making strategic decisions. 
3.  Takes Initiatives – the tendency to perceive what is necessary to be accomplished and proceed on one's own. This initiative will help me achieve objectives.  "

The Harrison Assessments also showed where I am suited in the different levels of management.  It showed that I am most suitable in the upper management level where functions focus on leadership, achievement, self-motivation, decision making and various interpersonal skills that relate to leadership.



Aside from the Harrison Assessments, we were required to take Strengths Finder by Gallup.  My top five strengths according to Gallup are the following:

1.    Learner

Have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excites them.

2.    Ideation

Fascinated by ideas. They are able to find connections between seemingly disparate phenomena.

3.    Relator

Enjoy close relationships with others. They find deep satisfaction in working hard with friends to achieve a goal.

Other strengths include, Positivity - Have an enthusiasm that is contagious. They are upbeat and can get others excited about what they are going to do. Strategic - People who are especially talented in the Strategic theme create alternative ways to proceed. Faced with any given scenario, they can quickly spot the relevant patterns and issues. Analytical - People who are especially talented in the Analytical theme search for reasons and causes. They have the ability to think about all the factors that might affect a situation.

My enneagram results also showed:

Most Likely Type 5 - Thinker
Second Most Likely Type 7 - The Enthusiast
Third Most Likely Type 6 – The Loyalist

These strengths are validated in my life story and experiences. My current job in tax and transactions requires analysis (of the situation, the awards and the pitfalls) and taking of initiatives otherwise we cannot come up of with good management advice.  My desire to learn is exhibited in my taking up real estate broker's examination, law and MBA.  I also like to think out of box and come up with innovative ideas.

Weaknesses

My enneagram showed that I hold back strong feelings and defend self from any intrusion. I have too much fear for fear. I seek safety from harm in a dangerous world of vigilance by imagining the worst-outcome. I'm attached to a home base that is free from potential intrusion.  In other words, I am very security conscious.  I think this is brought about my past experience of being robbed with my earrings when I was in Grade 1. I was with my sister walking from school to home when a man approached us and asked for my earrings. I voluntarily gave my earrings while my sister did not gave hers. From that time on, strangers don't easily earn my trusts.  It takes time for me to trust a person. 

I am often told by my spouse that I lack self-confidence since I always doubt myself.  Case at point is that whenever I transfer work, I always apply for jobs at lower level positions. After a while, I end up being transferred or promoted.  I would always shun the idea of talking in public much more sharing my experiences.

I also get easily bored thus I avoid routine and clerical jobs.  I consider this as a weakness since there are some aspects in our life or job that requires us to be routinary especially in those when there is a need to evaluate in detail one's practices.

How they affect on how I decide?

I consider my strengths as my anchor in making decisions while my weaknesses serves as a reminder that I am not perfect and that I should continuously strive to improve myself.   My weakness:  lack of self-confidence, often gave me doubt whenever a decision is at hand. My strengths – being analytical and being a learner often pushed me to be innovative to do things I have never done. I am not afraid to introduce change and accept accountabilities for my actions.


How do they prepare you for your future challenges?

1.    Knowing the internal and external factors that shaped me is a path to self- awareness.  Truly knowing myself would give me an assurance that whatever the future challenges maybe, I will be able to surpass it.

2.    Being true to myself and accepting my strengths and weaknesses are roads to being an authentic leader.  Instead of hiding my flaws and weaknesses, exposing them and turning them to strengths could lead to wonderful transformation.

3.    Preparation. After knowing the internal and external factors that shaped me, all I can do to face future challenges is to prepare. I can use my strengths as a weapon during challenging moments. I can also start improving my weakness so that when time come, I will be able to overcome them.



What is the new learning? 

1.    Being authentic to myself and address my weaknesses is a key to becoming an authentic leader.  The people that surrounds me – family and friends – have great influence on the way I live my life.  I should surround myself with mature and good hearted people so that I can learn from them.

2.    According to Gallup "Because you are not threatened by unfamiliar information, you might excel in a consulting role (either internal or external) in which you are paid to go into new situations and pick up new competencies or languages quickly." I think, I am in the right profession being a lawyer right now.

3.    I was also surprised to know that I am a relator. This just goes to say that I don't know myself enough.  I should find a workplace where friendship are encouraged.  I can deliberately learn from the people I met.


What is the relation to what I already know?

As they say "ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay hindi makakarating sa paroroonan". This is a familiar quote but "hindi tumagos sa puso ko" until I made this reflection paper.  Revisiting my past and reflecting from them is a very healthy exercise. It reminds me of my past and where I came from and why I am what I am now.  The experiences that I have encountered serves as the best lessons in my life.  Challenges will not stop, but how I decide to react on them is something that I can control.


What have I done, am doing, will be doing for this topic?

I will be making an action planning tool to foster my strengths and address my weaknesses.  Being a learner, I can be a catalyst for change.  I should not be afraid to venture into new experiences and take responsibility. I will also continue to learn and acquire new expertise. I should not be afraid to gear my efforts toward a field that constantly change such as changing rules and regulations (e.g. BIR regulations).

Stay humble. Every experience is a present. Blessings are not from hard work alone but they are gifts sent by God.


References:
Gallup Strengths Finder
Enneagram
Harrison Assessments

No comments:

Post a Comment