Thursday, December 17, 2015

MM Leadership Final Integrative Paper by Leader Leighna Abarquez

Abarquez, Leighna Katrina
MM Ateneo Leadership
Leadership

Final Integrative Paper


<![if !supportLists]>I.              <![endif]>WHERE AM I NOW?

I have reproduced below the highlights of the key learning I have had from the exercises/reflection papers we were asked to submit in class. These exercises allowed me to look back, reflect, and internalize on the various circumstances (be it internal or external) that I have encountered in my life that shaped me to be who I am now, or would have influenced me in terms of what I want (or not want) to be in the future.

I realized how each of these events in my life, as well as my family background, seemed like jigsaw puzzles of me, my personality, and the person that I am now, and the person that I still strive to be. To be sure, there’s a truth in the saying that, everything that happens in our lives, even the hope-shattering ones, should always have a reason. Difficulties and challenges are there to mold us, to make us better versions of ourselves. However, it’s really up to us to transcend the situation, and to look beyond the difficulties and our circumstances, and see these as opportunities to grow, as a person, and as a leader.



Step (1) – Enneagram

I’ve learned that placing proper and effective use of my strengths can help me reach my full potential. So, I should always try to gear my efforts towards enhancing these strengths. Below are the highlights of my top 3 personality that I believe best characterizes me. I also added a column describing how these strengths can work for or sometimes, against me. The key really, I guess, is to harness these strengths and to work out on my weaknesses. Being a good leader also requires me to seek for my strengths but would, most especially, require me to acknowledge my weaknesses and strive to improve on those.

Type 3 – Achiever

Strength/Virtue
Weakness/Vice
sometimes feel the need to be validated in order to feel worthy

sometimes lead to insecurity
very hard working, and highly focused in the pursuit of my goals

Easily frustrated when others do not come up to speed.
very sociable, adaptable, often extroverted, and some say that I am charismatic

Maybe viewed by others as “too strong”
very practical and driven
Doesn’t usually take “no” for an answer, until after I’ve tried all the other best alternatives.  If others do not share the same passion, I usually get frustrated.
very much afraid of ending up a “loser”

Sometimes,  too hard or unforgiving to oneself

Type 2 – The Helper
Strength/Virtue
Weakness/Vice
feel worthy insofar as they are helpful to others; selflessness is their duty
forgets to take care of self; can lead to physical burnout, emotional exhaustion and emotional volatility
warm, emotional people who care a great deal about their personal relationships, devote an enormous amount of energy to them
feel that they will never receive the love they deserve for all of their efforts
require appreciation; need to be needed
become intrusive and demanding if their often unacknowledged emotional needs go unmet

Type 6 – The Loyalist
Strength/Virtue
Weakness/Vice
generally compliant, affiliative and cooperative
Worries too much
Very good trouble-shooter.
restless imaginings of everything that might go wrong
Steadfast loyal
Don’t trust easily


Step (2) – Genogram

To highlight some important realizations/learning from the Genogram exercise:
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>When my parents separated (and got back together) several times, my siblings and I were “forced” to be independent. With this, I made it a point that I value my siblings and my family. I learned to value the concept of team work especially amongst my siblings. I will fight for them, and will not let anyone hurt them. Consequently, I instill (and want to continue to instill) that mentality to my two children. That value of looking after each other’s backs is an important value that I want my girls to hold close.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>In my hierarchy of values, family comes as a priority. Thus, in my decision making, I always see to it that I consult the opinions of my parents, my siblings—and now my husband and my children. I need to get their buy-ins first before I make major decisions.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>One lesson I got from my Dad is that humility to admit faults, and to do everything to make amends. Daddy is far from perfect, but he is of those few men who can apologize and try so hard to make up to you. 
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]> One strength also my natural inclination to emphatize with people, that conscious effort to look and analyze things, by putting myself in that person’s shoes. I suppose that strength enables me to be a good listener and adviser, fit for my profession.


Step (3) – My Life Story

To highlight some important realizations/learning from the JC Campbell Exercise:
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>My life is far from perfect, but whose life is? My parents’ marriage is not perfect. My parents’ roller coaster ride of a marriage – helped me. That made me realize that yeah—baka nga, meron naman talagang forever. Hindi nga madali, marami ngang twists and turns but if you love each other and commit to love each other—God will help bring you back together.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>My daughter’s sickness was such a humbling experience for me and for my family. This enabled me to learn how to trust in the Lord and in others, and to see and believe in the goodness of the people around me. I was also able to trust my good judgment and learn to let go my fears, especially when we decided to push through with the surgery after considering the risks. I learned also to value the opinions of others, and to admit that I needed their guidance and help. I know that the Lord gave me Eloise to change me. She has affected my life, and touched the lives of those around her, with her story. Eloise is my little roller coaster ride, but with all the life lessons that I’ve learned just by being her mom, she makes the ride all worth it.  I think I’m a better person now than I was before—a better leader, with some life stories to tell— calmer, stronger, proactive than reactive, more trusting and less worrisome, more humble, more willing to accept my own weakness while finding refuge from my strengths, more accepting of the help of others less controlling, more hopeful less pessimistic.


Step (4) – Internal and External Factors that Shaped Me

To highlight some important realizations/learning from this exercise:
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>My parents’ relationship shaped me somehow. It helped me become stronger, to be a fighter, to never back down against people who are out to destroy my family. It also helped me value the role of the mother—how she is the glue that keeps the family together, the shock absorber, glorified doormat—who still believed that everything will get fixed, with prayers, and with patience and humility to forgive.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>My Mom and Dad are leaders in our home. They are not perfect, but that’s the beauty of it all—they never pretended to be. They cried in front of us, they asked for forgiveness for their mistakes, they disciplined us when necessary, but they also let us make mistakes and give us leeway to be our owns selves – they never created that illusion in our minds that life is easy—that fact alone, made us stronger, made me stronger, made me a realist.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>My relationship with my perfectionist/hard-to-please Lolo, although painful, traumatic and hurtful sometimes—taught me the value of resilience, of being diligent, of finishing something that I’ve started. It showed me the importance of working hard for something that you desire—that in life, nothing comes easy, nothing comes for free.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>The practice of law is tough. When I started working for a big law firm right after taking the bar—I felt really insecure, incompetent, and dumb—my first work as a lawyer was an associate in the biggest and best law firm the Philippines. All associates in that firm were top students in either UP or Ateneo. My experience in that firm, however, was all worth it. It helped me to be humble enough to accept criticisms from wiser and more experienced attorneys, to be diligent in my work, and to learn to adapt with other different personalities.


Step (4) – Defining Moment

To highlight some important realizations/learning from this exercise:

<![if !supportLists]>1.    <![endif]>Defining moments shape us. These events happened for a reason. Defining moments shape us to be good persons, to be good leaders, if only we accept these events positively, and proactively.
<![if !supportLists]>2.    <![endif]>Servant Leader: Being a good leader, requires a great deal of sacrifice, and self-giving. When you are a leader, you have to give your time, effort, and energy to heed the call of your team.
<![if !supportLists]>3.    <![endif]>Public service = leadership; True, earning a living is necessary to survive, but I believe that compassion and service to others, even without monetary rewards, can make us more fulfilled in the long run.
<![if !supportLists]>4.    <![endif]>Leadership requires discipline, perseverance, determination, and resilience to overcome challenges. Difficulties and road blocks should not be hindrances to meeting our goals. These are just setbacks that we can, if we try and persevere, surpass. Our plans will not always work the way we expect them to be. There may also be new developments that will require us to change course, a bit. But, a true leader should be flexible, and find ingenious ways to adjust to the situation, without losing sight of the real goal. Accordingly, a good leader should also learn to accept to change the goal, when this no longer proves feasible because of the change in circumstances.
<![if !supportLists]>5.    <![endif]>Leaders are team players. My marriage works because my husband and I work as a team. I treat my clients as “business partners”—and I see to it that my advice is able to effectively answer their business concerns. Leaders adapt.
<![if !supportLists]>6.    <![endif]>Leaders should be self-aware of his or her own weakness, and improve. Leaders should learn to accept our weaknesses, and continuously strive to overcome them. When my daughter got sick, it was a realization to me that there are some things in my life that I could not control, and to just let things run its own course. I learned to let go of my fears, to take risks, and to make courageous decisions, if only, for the benefit of all concerned.
<![if !supportLists]>7.    <![endif]>Leaders trust and respect the opinions of his or her team.  When my daughter got sick, I learned to take the opinions of others and consider them in my decision-making. I learned to recognize that mine was not the only opinion that mattered. I still and do practice this now—and the more I practice this, the more I realize that when the opinions of all stakeholders are considered, we come up with the best decisions.


<![if !supportLists]>II.            <![endif]>WHERE AM I GOING: MY PERSONAL STRATEGIC PLAN



To address the question “Where am I going?”, I have developed my own Personal Strategic Plan (the “Plan”). In preparing my Plan, I used as basis the article prepared by Advanced Management Institute entitled, “Developing Your Personal Strategic Plan”. According to the author of this article, to quote:

Creating a personal strategic plan is a powerful exercise in taking leadership of your own life. You have probably experienced the frustration of trying to juggle your roles as CEO, employer, parent, spouse and community member. Having a personal strategic plan can lessen these struggles by keeping you focused on what really matters in your life, both professionally and personally. It helps to clarify the fundamental philosophy and personal values under which you wish to operate, as well as how these values affect your roles in life.

The full version of this article can be accessed through this site:

As in my AVP, I recognize and I believe that each of us are leaders in each of the roles we play in life, be it a mother, wife, sister, daughter, professional, and as a person. Following the article, I have divided by Plan to cover five (5) major areas of my life where I particularly focus my attention to:

<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Me: This contains my personal goals for myself
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Family: This contains my goals for my marriage, my being a parent, and my immediate family and close friends
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Organization: This contains my goals to accomplish with my work with others in the company I work for, and my profession
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Executive: As the sole lawyer in the company, this sets my goals for legal affairs in the company
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Community: This includes my goals in doing good for the community


<![if !supportLists]>(A)  <![endif]>INDIVIDUALIZED GOALS AND RISK/OPPORTUNITIES ASSESSMENT


Step (1) – ME: My Personal Goals


What Results I Want
What’s the First Step?
Physical
To be fit and healthy again, to get normal laboratory results; lose 30 lbs. off my current weight, and to maintain my ideal weight.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Enroll in a physical training/circuit training program and train at least 1 hr per session, 3x a week
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Maintain a healthy diet regimen
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Run a marathon
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Jog with the children on weekends
Spiritual
Reconnect with the Lord and have time to be “spiritually quiet” for a time in a day
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Join a spiritual/prayer group, e.g. The Feast
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Hear mass every Sunday
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Pray the rosary at least 1x a day
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Listen to praise music at least 1 hr a day
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Climb Mt. Pulag and witness the sunrise at the peak
Arts/Music
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Add knowledge/skill in playing a musical instrument

<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Buy a guitar, buy an Apple Application to tutor me how to play the guitar
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Learn to play the guitar for at least 3 songs in a month

Culture
Learn new culture
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Save up and plan for my next international “back packing” tour with my familyà visit Eastern Europe and revisit Spain within the next 2 years
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Save and plan for a local tripà go to Vigan or Ilocos with my family

SWOT ANALYSIS
Strengths

I am very diligent and goal-oriented person. It would be difficult for me to quit once I start on something.
Weaknesses

Emotional readiness is not quite there because of some personal issues involving family (e.g. sickness in the family).

Opportunities

The gym is quite near my office. Planning a trip is quite easy nowadays using the internet.

Threats

Time and budget constraints





Step (2) – FAMILY: My Goals for my relationships, family and friends


What Results I Want
What’s the First Step?
Spouse
Spend more quality time with my husband, without discussing about stresses at work or with the children
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Schedule a Friday date  night/movie night with my husband
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Learn to play the guitar together
Children
Spend quality time with each of my daughters, individually, as each of them have differing needs and problems
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Schedule a “mom-daughter” day with each of my daughters at least once every other month—where I get to take out each of them separately, individually—to watch a movie, go to the salon, go shopping etc.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Schedule a “jogging” day with my children on a weekend.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Finally make our family “scrapbook” with the help of my children
Immediate Family
Reconnect with my siblings and parents
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Plan a trip (either local or international) with my family to unwind and reconnect with them
Friends
Reconnect with close friends
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Plan and organize a mini reunion dinner/lunch with close friends (either on a summer or during Christmas season)

SWOT ANALYSIS
Strengths

Team work with family members
Weaknesses

Pressure with work especially with additional roles in the legal affairs; Emotional readiness is not quite there because of some personal issues involving family (e.g. sickness in the family).

Opportunities

Work allows and encourages flexible time, and encourages use of vacation leave credits

Threats

I usually voluntarily postpone planned vacations or socials with friends because of demands of work or just plain procrastination




Step (3) – ORGANIZATIONAL: Business goals I will accomplish within the company


What Results I Want
What’s the First Step?
Internal Clients: Employees
Serve Internal Clients with Distinction: Increase Awareness of business with the Job Contracting Laws, and Fair Competition Law
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Prepare and create Contingent Worker Policy  in coordination with Human Resources
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>I will provide training to marketers and sales on these new laws and regulations
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>I will conduct a spot review of policies and contracts vis-à-vis any implications in light of the Fair Completion Law.

The Company
Build an Institution of Legal Knowledge and Compliance: Increase sustainable culture of compliance; enhance infrastructure platforms and enhance productivity in legal affairs; increase knowledge base of internal clients  on legal risk areas
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Lead the Business Conduct and Compliance Committee and encourage active participation amongst members; ensure complete scorecards
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Come up with an automated legal review request process which will allow internal clients to monitor status of request and electronic routing of approval of contracts
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Prepare a realizable Training Delivery Plan that will include at least 8 training sessions for internal clients on various legal and compliance topics

SWOT ANALYSIS
Strengths

Top and middle management support.
Weaknesses

Cross-functional coordination is not quite that firm just yet.
Opportunities

New regulations and laws affecting business vis-à-vis new business direction would require additional legal interaction and support.
Threats

Budget constraints; head count constraints




Step (4) – EXECUTIVE: How I will develop myself as sole corporate lawyer for the subsidiary.


What Results I Want
What’s the First Step?
Increase Substantive Knowledge and Expertise
Develop Professional and Leadership Capabilities: Ensure that I am updated on various new laws and regulations
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Participate and attend legal training and seminars on new laws and regulations, at least 2 in a year
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Finish my MBA
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Work on a regional project for Global Legal Affairs
Maximize Use of Time and Effort
Drive efficiency to improve best practice and process excellence
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Complete and participate in the Lean Six Sigma – Green belt training and find ways to efficiently run legal services for the subsidiary
Develop professional judgment
Increase understanding of the business, staff function or other internal clients

<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Participate in business’ strategic planning process, so I can give sound, legal business advise that will help business make legally sound business judgments
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Participate regularly in business/staff function meetings in order to be more familiar with priorities, risks, etc.
Effective Communication
Improve communication skills to make legal advice more practical and palatable to business
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Practice listening and questioning skills during client meetings; improve email writing skills and aim to write more succinct, crisp and direct to the point emails

SWOT ANALYSIS
Strengths

I continuously want to improve myself.
Weaknesses

Since I have too much on my plate most of the time, I’d get very burned-out and tired.
Opportunities

The organization is very lean, but if you are very proactive and diligent with your work—top management would recognize your efforts. I am privileged to be working for a company that believes in meritocracy.
Threats

Budget constraints and time constraints.




Step (5) – COMMUNITY: How I will contribute to the community.


What Results I Want
What’s the First Step?
Volunteer Work
Make a meaningful contribution to the community using my professional expertise and skill
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Increase pro-bono cases handled for the Integrated Bar of the Philippines and Ateneo Legal Aid
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>To partner with fellow lawyers, to go to the barrios and do these Legal Lecture Series, and at the same time give pro bono on the spot advise to those who require our services but could not afford expensive legal fees
Charitable Work
To participate in charity works
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Actively participate in the company’s Corporate Social Responsibility programs, e.g. Gawad Kalinga; Clean Up Drive
Pay-it Forward
Mentoring aspiring lawyers
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Come up with a Legal Internship Program for the company and take in at least 1 legal intern for the year

SWOT ANALYSIS
Strengths

I am by nature emphatic to other people’s needs and concerns.
Weaknesses

Dealing with my other priorities may result in half-hearted and half-baked efforts.
Opportunities

My profession opens up avenues to help
e.g. Ateneo Law School legal aid
Threats

Budget constraints and time constraints.


<![if !supportLists]>III.           <![endif]>HOW DO I GET THERE? - MAKING A COMMITMENT TO WORKING WITH MY PLAN

Considering various constraints (time, budget, etc.), I came up with a working plan for myself to ensure (as far as practicable) that I am able to fulfill my goals.

What steps will you
take to commit to
your plan?
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Improve time management.  Make sure to commit to schedule and to turndown urgent / unscheduled plans that will conflict with the schedule.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Limit spending on unnecessary expenses.  Create a realistic budget and stick to it.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>Network with colleagues in the profession in order to connect with the right people who can help with my goals. I will strive to look for work assignments that will enable me to mentor more people, e.g. teaching or coaching.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>I am constantly looking for work assignments that allow me to have some leeway to work as hard, and I will feel challenged. I feel blessed that I work for a company that provides that venue for me. I relish the feeling of being busy and knowing when I am done with my work. So, I make timelines to make sure I keep track of my progress.
<![if !supportLists]>·         <![endif]>From my Gallup Strengths Based results, it says that, “As an Achiever I must learn to live with this whisper of discontent. It does have its benefits. It brings me the energy I need to work long hours without burning out. It is the jolt you can always count on to get you started on new tasks, new challenges. It is the power supply that causes me to set the pace and define the levels of productivity for my work group. It is the theme that keeps you moving.”
What will your life
feel when your plan
is working?
I yearn to dedicate myself to worthy causes or noble purposes. Fortifying the bonds between myself, the people I know, or even those I will never meet gives my life special meaning. By nature, I am naturally inclined to make sacrifices that benefit someone else. I enjoy being generous with your time, knowledge, skills, experiences, resources, or possessions. I will feel fulfilled, contented, and happy. I will also feel a sense of relief knowing that I am living a purpose-driven life.
How does it feel
when you’re not in
balance? How do
you know you are
drifting out of
balance?
I will certainly feel frustrated, at a loss, and impatient. I will know that I’m not working as planned when I am unable to meet expectations of the other matters that I forego or give less priority. I have this tendency to over-focus on one matter, with the goal finishing it at the soonest possible time, even at the expense of entirely missing out on family and children, for example.
What steps will you
take when you
identify that you
are getting out of
balance?
Sometimes the reason why we feel our goals are not met is not really because we lack the vigor or zeal to fulfill our goals—but maybe because we set very high, unreasonable goals for ourselves. Thus, we should always consider our goals as moving targets—not fixed ones. Periodically, I will reassess my goals, check if these are still realizable or realistic given the constraints—and then re-calibrate and, modify, when circumstances call for it.

<![if !supportLists]>IV.           <![endif]>WHAT TYPE OF LEADER I DON’T WANT TO BE

It is quite true what people say, that an organization (be it a big company, or a small family unit) would fall apart, close down, or separate because of bad leadership—which may affect the team synergy and dynamics. I’ve worked with several people all my years as a professional. I’ve been privileged to have worked for/with high caliber lawyers as mentors. However, I’ve also had the chance of working with those types of leaders, who I feel, are ineffective. So, instead of describing what kind of leader I want to be, I wanted to write about the type of leader I don’t intend to be.

SEVEN TRAITS OF A HIGHLY INEFFECTIVE LEADER


<![if !supportLists]>1.    <![endif]>Incompetency and unwillingness to learn. An effective leader must have competency, knowledge, and expertise in the field that he or she navigates. A leader who is incompetent will most likely make the wrong decisions, or worse, will be afraid to make decisions because of lack of foresight, experience, or perhaps, just plain fear of making mistakes. What makes it worse is that some incompetent leaders hide under the curtains of bureaucracy, at the expense of the company they are working for. More often than not, incompetent leaders pretend they know everything, and refuse to learn new things. In my experience, incompetent leaders are usually the ones who would refuse to listen to the opinions of his or her team. This is contrary to a good leader who welcomes ideas from his or her team, and who is always willing to learn new things.

I want to be that kind of leader who is not scared to accept the fact that I don’t know everything. But, who would tell my client that—“Yes, I don’t know that, but don’t worry, I will find out for you, and let’s discuss.” An effective leader has this insatiable desire to better themselves, either as a person or as a professional. An ineffective leader always settles, and will choose the easier way

<![if !supportLists]>2.    <![endif]>Wavering and Indecisiveness. My take is that an incompetent leader will most likely be very indecisive. Indecisiveness is a necessary result of lack of knowledge, lack of expertise, and ineptitude. A leader who does not want to decide or takes forever to decide will hold back the business will slow down the business or the team. An indecisive leader also will not be able to effectively influence his or her team. In case of problems which would require immediate action, his or her team will think that the leader is unreliable and undependable.

An effective leader is a thought leader. An effective leader is the “go-to guy” in an organization or team. An ineffective leader evades challenging questions.

<![if !supportLists]>3.    <![endif]>Lacks Accountability: A good leader should not only be decisive, but should, most importantly, learn to make informed/sensible judgment calls—and be willing to take full accountability for the decision, even if it turns out the decision may be the less desirable route. An ineffective leader of this type would always be ready to point fingers to someone else in case a project blows-up. This type of ineffective leadership will most necessarily create an atmosphere of distrust in the team.

<![if !supportLists]>4.    <![endif]>Perennial Credit-Grabber: A leader should be ready to give credit where credit is due. This type of leader will certainly demoralize good workers in the team. Credit grabbing is also connected with lack of competence and insecurity. A bad leader, who is unwilling to learn, and who incompetent, and lazy, has the tendency to appropriate the good efforts of his team for himself.

I want to be that type of leader who allows my team members shine. An effective leader finds success in the success of his team. A good leader knows how to tap his members, and develop their talents.

<![if !supportLists]>5.    <![endif]>Lacks Integrity: To be able to inspire his or her team, a good leader must exhibit unquestionable integrity and does things the right way all the time. A leader who has no sense of right or wrong will not be a good example to his team, and will most likely create an atmosphere that tolerates a team of wrong-doers.  This will also create a stigma of fear and discomfort for team members who are upright.

<![if !supportLists]>6.    <![endif]>Micro-managers: Leaders should trust the competency and judgment of his or her team. The relationship should be based on mutual trust and coordination. A good leader knows how to set the goals, effectively communicates the goals and expectations to his team, and empowers his or her team to fulfill the goals according to the teams’ decided means and manner. As Steve Jobs says, “It does not make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they tell us what to do.”

<![if !supportLists]>7.    <![endif]>Apathy in the Growth of the Team: Leadership is a social/moral responsibility. If you lead a team, who are equally good and competent as you, you have the responsibility to ensure their professional growth and provide avenues for them to reach their full potential. A leader who constricts the growth of his or her people is not only apathetic, but is also very insecure. This type of leadership will result to an unmotivated team, where the risk of flight is high.

From my Gallup Strengths Based Report that I took as part of my company’s HR initiatives, it says,

“When you interact with others, your goal is to help them experience success. You look for ways to challenge them. You devise interesting experiences that can stretch them and help them grow. And all the while you are on the lookout for the signs of growth—a new behavior learned or modified, a slight improvement in a skill, a glimpse of excellence or of “flow” where previously there were only halting steps. For you these small increments—invisible to some—are clear signs of potential being realized. These signs of growth in others are your fuel. They bring you strength and satisfaction. Over time many will seek you out for help and encouragement because on some level they know that your helpfulness is both genuine and fulfilling to you.”

An effective leader takes conscious effort to make sure that his team members are contented, well appreciated, and fulfilled. An effective leader should live by the mantra, “No one gets left behind.” An effective leader inspires, and I want to be that type of leader in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment