Thursday, December 17, 2015

MM Leadership Final Integrative Paper by Alexis Tan

My Final Integrative paper (FIP) by Alexis Tan


This all started with the choice, and that choice is the path to learning, in enrolling in Ateneo. And subsequently, deciding to learn to be a better leader, for learning is the only way to grow. For me, without growth we stagnate and die. That is the cycle of life.
So I chose to continue to grow, develop and diversify. Because everyday is an opportunity, to change for the better and partake in this journey called life. And in the end be the best version of  myself.


Thank you Professor and fellow Leaders
I thankfully acknowledge the knowledge imparted to me by our esteemed professor, Prof. Jorge Saguinsin. And to all of you my fellow MM leadership course classmates, thank you for sharing your lives with me. Because of you I have not only gained valuable knowledge and lessons in  life, I came to learn about friendships and mutual respect among others. With this group of people I was able to hone and develop leadership skills that I never knew I had, or will ever have.…Through shared thoughts and opinions I have come to build my own framework of leadership. My deepest appreciation to all your contributions, as we may part ways for now, but your wisdom and affection will forever be imprinted in my being. 

Introduction:

At first, I thought that leadership is attained thru position or accumulation of power. I thought that great leaders are born with charisma and talent  that are inherent only to them. Those whom are fortunate enough to be born of wealth, opportunities that are given. For that I envy them. Now I realize that many have fought and have achieved great success thru dedication and perseverance. Success is hard work personified. As the saying goes:" Not wait for the perfect Moment, make the moment perfect for you" I intend to make the best of this opportunity to learn from my peers, fellow students and professors and apply this learning to improve my career and eventually use this acquired skills in putting up and developing my own company in the future. I will use this paper as my compass, to guide me towards my goal and shall also serve as my map so I shall not run astray from those goals. But as the early Jesuits would call say: "everyday is a chance you to evaluate the course of your life" So little tweaks may also be at hand.



What mark do I want to make in this world? What legacy shall i leave for my children and succeeding generations of my family. How will I develop to be a great leader and motivator as other others before me have successfully done? These are the questions i asked myself that have so long, were left unanswered. These are the same questions that led me to pursue my continuing education. And thru this course, I have embraced these pillars of leadership to apply to my followers and as the pillars of my existence.

  •   Love, as well as respect for others should be my key priority in everything that I will do. Word should not be enough, it should be coupled by actions that shoes my sincerity to my peers and followers and superiors.
  • Heroism- is the aspiration of greater goals for more than yourself, Greater good for the benefit of mankind. To be motivated by not just by financial reward, but to work for a cause that will bring to light our vital contributions in this world. 

  • Ingenuity- is the doing what needs to be done. hard work coupled with creativity will result to innovation. And this work hand in hand in developing ingenuity.

  • Self Awareness.. this is the key to my development. As without this important pillar, nothing else would be possible. It is important for me to capitalise on my strengths as well as acknowledge my weaknesses. So I may determine what development I need to accomplish my goals.

  • Leaders lead all the time, so I should lead myself and other to good leadership. And even managers can lead leaders, so we should listen to those whose voices needs to be heard. We are looked upon as leaders and role models, so we should lead by example to gain their respect and confidence.


My Inspiration: Heroic Leadership by Chris Lowney
"Indifference is the key, to let go of attachments and to overcome weaknesses and fear in the purpose of not only for self improvement but for the betterment of humanity and for the realisation of your heroic goals. "
  • Sometimes it so hard to detach ourselves from the daily grind of life, our authentic self sometimes gets mashed with all the craziness and chaos that life will bring. But I realised that through reflection and with great humility, bring forth an indifference in my everyday activity, I will be able to overcome my shortcomings and redirect myself, pushing myself to the limits, to conduct these in accordance to my set values.

"Do reflections on my self daily asses how my actions have my goals and affected others, to asses the need for improvement, redirection once a goal has bet set"
  • Although I have always believed in the power of healing by prayers. In this book, i learned that even men of the cloth, also uses this "Examens" to do reflections and use it as a motivational tool to drive them to their chosen objectives.

For the benefit of helping "as many souls as possible" 
  • this made me realise my true motivation for being successful. Although its was never been an assurance that being successful will lead you to be a great coach or mentor. But being successful is a tool I can use to base my framework of leadership and to gain credibility among those who follow me. To "Walk the talk". To lead with purpose, determination and perseverance.

"Get and develop the brightest talent, to achieve company successes, instill the culture of empowerment, the empowerment to do initiatives"
  • As many may know that getting the best talent is the way to sustain the growth and success of a company. Few truly understand that getting people that are better than you does not only entail for you to employ them and then undermine them by the guise of seniority and false sense of superiority, but to nurture and empower them. We need to hear their young voices so that they can tell us what to do. So much is rested on them, as they are the future of every company.


"Make your goals personal, so it can make you tireless and energetic"
  • what motivates people to work harder, are values and culture, and our sense of meaningful contribution with our abilities. To do a good job to the best of my abilities is the main motivation.

Like in the Magis driven Jesuits founded by st. Ignatius Loyola, he was convicted that by the use of Self awareness, profound love for others and Heroism. And by helping others any means possible, we don't focus on our own problems and short coming but put emphasis on developing the full potential of the people we are leading,

My passion is to be successful, to achieve greatness in my own unique way.

Learning Agreement

As I started my class for leadership,i was surprised to be required to submit a learning agreement. And as I slowly but insight fully filled up this form, it surprised me more what revelations it brought. It showed me a clear picture of my goals , in it  are my weaknesses, what I needed to improve on to become the best leader that I can be. To capitalize on my strengths, my capabilities. And ultimately what my purpose I set for myself : to help myself and others , to empower and to teach and share , this would be the fulfillment I want in my life.

   Strength                                                            Weakness
  1. Self Disciplined                              1. Develop more knowledge and expertise 
  2. Resiliency                                       2. Ability to reflect and refocus despite stress or pressure
  3. Fast to adapt                                   3. Needs Leadership skills development

My objectives in taking this course:
1.  Learn how to lead and influence myself and others positively
2. To apply these knowledge to my family's growth especially to my kids
3.  Increase my productivity by empowering others and unlock their potential
4.To be able to help others gain confidence and provide for their families
5. To embrace the true Ateneo way of leading

And more so, As I listen to my other classmates, I also picked up a lot of valuable insights from them early on:
  • Knowledge is nothing. without purpose, values and goals
  • We need courage and confidence to do new approaches to gain new ideas 
  • "The World becomes our house" - only we allow ourselves to be indifferent and be open to opportunities
  • "make change our friend, not our enemy"- Pres. Clinton - As most are reluctant to change, as it is uncomfortable, and most times dangerous. but none the less important.
  • Loyola- delegate power and provide generous personal encouragement, As empowerment is the key to true leadership


In regards to the Goals that I turned during my 1st day, I reevaluated and refined as I learned to reach for far more ambitious goals, as a true leader should:

How will I reach my objectives 
  • To develop a leadership style that consistent to my values and personality
  • To gain knowledge on how to cultivate positive mentor relationships w/ others
  • To learn and observe my professor and co student whom has valuable insight and experience in being leaders in their respective fields of practice.
  • Do the reading requirements and assignments to develop 
  • Practice these acquired knowledge in the work and real life environment
  • To support a worthy cause that will help my community and the country develop self sufficiently through instilled values and with honour.

Realization:
I realized that despite my numerous short comings and adversity, I am valued and a worthy individual. Realizing what your goals are had a profound effect in how I think and feel about a lot of things. Now I have found the meaning of direction and purpose in life. 
i plan to review and innovate my personal goals to reflect my leadership aspirations and roles:
  • need for effective delegation and knowledge on how to lead high performing teams
  • need for selecting a high impact and improving worthy future goals

My Enneagram 

My Enneagram says that I am an Achiever. Its both a strength and a curse of my personality. I need appreciation and recognition to validate my success. And as the test shows, I am also an Individualist who seeks to be different and appreciated. 

My purpose: to help and inspire others to be better than themselves, to seek their full potential, and to help others, be the best version of themselves. But in order to do that, I need to be credible therefore I need to be successful. 

Realisation:
These tests rarely define anyone completely, but it does show us a glimpse of our personality, giving me the clues to further investigate the nature my true leadership roles and reaction . By finding out more about my self, i am convinced that further developments are needed for me to fully mature as a leader and to be able to take on the responsibility of educating my self further, to enhance my skill and EQ.

My Family relationships: My Genogram

My family's lineage based on my Genogram are mostly non graduates but were successful at their own right, we basically come from a lineage of businessmen. Their determination and perseverance drove them to succeed in their individual fields. but as climates changes, so did in business. This saw drastic change in business environment paved the way for me to realise that they were not ready for change and that they still lacked the skills to adopt to change. Like me, they were leaders in their own ways, but because of our lack in sustainable framework of leadership, we were unable to cope with the changes and realised that their dependence with the bounty of the traditional business world would not be enough for this advanced times. We learned the importance of education, and this led me to the conclusion that passion and drive alone is now not enough to propel you to success. As I teach my kids about education, it is also important to emphasize the need for proper attitude to pursue it. It is also important to have love and compassion to relate to everyone's needs and most important of all is mastery of one's self by developing leadership skills and the responsibility of continuous improvement and culture of excellence not only inside our home but towards every person that you interact with

Realisations:
I realised that by doing this activity, that I had a lot of "gaps" in my family. I didn't comprehend before the need to fix such mundane thing as I needed to move on and look towards the future. But then looking back, I saw how my relationships with my family have greatly influenced the success that i accomplished through the years. I may have been from a broken family, but it taught me the value of loyalty, friendship and love.Even to this date, I still carry the longings and need for my family's approval and appreciation. Which leads me to the conclusion that FAMILY is still the greatest influences in my life. Good and the bad, they shaped me to what I am today.

Reflection Assignments 1,2 and 3:

1.Defining Moments

As just a provincial boy, growing up in Cebu. I was sheltered from the hard facts of life. But as life goes, sometimes you need to grow up quick, to adopt to change or else, you will left with nothing but regrets and broken dreams. So I grew up a little bit faster than I ever thought possible. It's a blessing that I was able to adopt, like most of us experienced growing up pains.
Here that I learned of life's hard choices, like when I had to leave Cebu, to study here in Manila on my own. It was such a huge step for me, but something kept me going. I didn't know what it was back then, but I think it was my in-born leadership qualities, that kicked in. Urging me forward, not letting me stray from the path of self learning and education. it was one of the saddest times of my young life then, but i was able to get through it courage and firm sense of purpose.

Slowly as I was adopting to change, something else happened. Another defining event changed the course of my life. My parents separated and had moved to other countries. Both of them separately and left me here alone with my grandparents. It seemed that 7100 islands are not enough to separate the hurt that felt for each other. Needless to say,  my confidence and and my character was severely tested.As time passed, i slowly learned to heal the pain of rejection and abandonment that my parents gave, when they left. But then I learned to move on and take up hobbies and expanded by relationships through friends. 



Another defining moment for me was when my 1st child was born, This event in my life motivated me to try to be a better person and wished to learn to be the best that I can be, so that I could lead my family not only to a better life, but also a life led by God and guided by his life and words in the Bible.

Unfortunately, this was the  time when I lost of my father to a hearth attack as well. A defining moment for me. When he suddenly died, it forced me to take charge of our family. As the only son, our family look up to me for comfort and guidance. Thats when I learned the responsibility that my father had to bear for our family. Needless to say I was overwhelmed with grief and sadness, despite not knowing him, as he was in the States for so long. Gods plan to mould me to be a leader for our family. And now that I have a family of my own, I now use the learnings and lessons I learned through that dark but fruitful times. I Thank the Lord for all His blessings even with all the adversity that I faced.

Realisation
I am now aware of the influences of these defining moments I have in my life. Even after all these challenges and adversities, these have moulded me to a better person. Able to take the Good with the Bad. Allowing me to be accepting and not be judgemental. It has taught me about great humility and compassion, especially with those going through a family crisis. Furthermore, it enabled me to appreciate and value what I have right now. A happy family with with modest a life, built on love, values and respect.  


2. My External and Internal Influences


Many external factors has greatly influenced me in my life. From family to my primary education to the work places that I have been in, that I became aware has greatly influenced my in the decisions and the patterns of action that I do. In my youth wherein I had a lot of insecurities, i envied the kids who's loving parents have provided them with love and security. And in work, where I felt undervalued, due to the fact that I had a different course. i needed to work harder than anyone. pushing myself to limits and always trying to prove that my own insecurities are unfounded. its those small things that kept me from achieving my optimal growth and performance. 
Internally, my values were shaky at best. i didn't know which values that really mattered to me. Until I used this exercise and confronted myself with honesty and humility.

Realisation
Before I believed that these little this were not important. Now I realised that these little things amounted to a bigger issues. And that is my inability to take responsibility for my actions and my lack of initiative to learn. I always wanted to elevate myself through learning, but I always blamed it on me not having enough time and opportunity to go back to my studies.Even lack of money was reasons for me. As i looked back in my life, these are just poor excuses it seemed. But now it enlightened me to discover that these external factors does not weigh as much as internal factors are in developing a successful leadership goal. i intent to fully integrate the values learned through life and in class. And in time, learn to be more vigilant in guarding against self degradation and negativity.

3. My Passion: The game called LIFE(and Basketball)

My teacher in high school once asked me. "What is your passion?" I know now how important that question is to my life, but now I understand that is the question that will set the tone and direction in my life.This exercise has helped me articulate what my passions are. It allowed me to see for myself how my passion affects me in my daily life and how it reflect in everything that I do through my journey called life. 

How easy to say that my Passion is Basketball. I drew upon these lessons I learned from this game, that I think led through life with direction and  guidance.

Here are some of the lessons I learned while playing and immersing in this game of basketball.

Strengthen your core - just like in exercise, you have to have a strong centre of gravity, to keep your balance and to be able to do all the movements necessary to perform at a high level. In life, you have a lot to balance: family,work, friends and more. Its vital to have a strong core values to achieve balance.

Hard work - no one likes to do training, but obviously very essential to be able to execute flawlessly. In work and in family, you have to lead by being a role model. And there's no way to do that than to get your hands dirty and lead others by example.

Teamwork - not only did my teammates motivate me to be stronger and better, they also gave me the courage to take on challenges like guarding the best player of another team. It makes it fun and easy to attain your goals, when you have a supportive group at your back.Not only should you be a willing leader but also a willing follower as well.

Discipline - by putting up long hours of hard work to improving yourself especially when no one is around to guide and motivate you; to regulate your actions for the obtain one's goal. 

Ability to adjust and take what the defense gives you - be flexible enough to change direction and game plans to still reach your goal despite many obstacles along the way, particularly from your opponents.

Be ready when ever your number is up, heart, mind and body.- abilities and talent are not enough, you need opportunities to show your worth to your team and coach. So be ready when that time comes, there might not be another chance the next time.

Have an expertise, a job that you are uniquely very good at. Not only will you be more valuable to your team, but you can defeat your competition and they wont have anyone to counter you with. 

Perseverance - the determination and the will to see things through especially when you are down 20 points in a game. Seldom does life give you a smooth and easy path. So be ready to charge on and take it in stride. Winners do that all the time.

To have an ability to let go - to pick up yourself after every mistake. Develop a selective amnesia for making mistakes but remember what those mistakes were and move forward. Don't be afraid of failure. We can't win every time.

Follow the rules of the game - In life,at work or in my journey in life
like in the game of basketball, this is where I learned that there are rules inside and outside the court. You may get away for breaking it, but you will get caught eventually.

Passion is what carried me through life, playing this game and learning to apply these lessons to answer many trials in my life. 

Realization:
And after learning all this lessons, sharing them would be my goal , Thru passion and commitment to my goals I can accomplish great things. I hope to be able to share this with my son and daughter ,so that they not only feel the joy of playing basketball and to be able to prepare in the challenges and adversity ahead.

In my Life's Story

Hero that "Never backs Down"
Master of two worlds: Himself and His circumstances
I chose the movie " Never Back down" because I find that there are a lot of the character's personality and experiences that we are alike,because of the lessons this movie showed me that applies in my life, even up to this day. The lesson of choosing to never lose courage and always controlling the situation especially yourself. 
Here is how the story goes:
"Hero: Jake Tyler (Sean Faris) is like any other teenage boy,athletically gifted but deeply troubled. What set him apart from most is the situation wherein his father died recently in a car accident and he was with him during that accident. But unlike his father, he survived the crash. What is sad also is that he could have prevented it by adamantly insisting that he drive home his father after drinking from a bar, but because he was unsure of himself, he let his dad drive them home drunk that led to the accident."

He was as confused as I was. Not being able to handle stress and peer pressure. Always beating down on himself because of his insecurities. In spite of that, he found a mentor that would encourage him to be himself and not blame himself on the things passed. Learning to forgive and to move forward was the key. But also to fight the fights that mattered. Be courageous and never allowing adversity to beat you.

"At The Beatdown, both Jake and Ryan reach the semi-finals. Then Ryan is disqualified for eye-gouging. 
Outside the club, Ryan attacks Jake and they have a spectacular brawl in the club parking lot. The crowd from inside the Beatdown went out to the parking lot to see the fight. the fight was evenly matched with Ryan's experience and expertise, pitted against Jake's passionate stand and new found abilities.They are able to electrify the crowd. Ultimately Jake wins the fight. "


"Jake has won the respect of all his fellow students, up to and including Ryan.Citing the lesson that we all have own battles to fight and it's up to us to choose to flee or fight and control the outcome of the situation by being always on top of it and controlling one self and emotions to conquer everyday hurdles in life."

My life in a Movie:

"My life's story have a lot of similarities with the movie. And like the movie I was faced with the same challenges that he faced then. ….I grew up feeling I was alone in this world. And i felt that for the most part of my life.
"Im sure there are a lot of people like me, growing up far from their families. but unlike most of them , I felt that my family left me. So knowing that I had no one to depend on, I took it upon myself to "raise myself"."
"Back then I knew that I need to be strong, but i didn't now how. ….but my hopes of having a successful career is fast fading. I worked as hard as i could but even perseverance could not help me now."
"My recent greatest challenge was when I experienced a horrid back pain last year, i could not walk, and I had to use a wheelchair going to my consultations in the Hospital. The doctors gave ……put me, my life and my job at risk. " 
"And so after a major spine surgery and 4 months out of work, I am now back to work and  slowly gaining confidence that i can perform with the same intensity that I had before but now i am careful not to overwork myself and balance my life……….. It is when you almost lost everything: my life, my job even my ability to walk, that you truly know what's important and prioritise your life accordingly. And that is God, family and life."
"Like in the Movie "never back down", there will be times in life when we will be faced with seemingly insurmountable challenges. But by realising whats important to you, your goals and by understanding yourself……."

Realisation
Although I know that life can never be as "steady as she goes". I still dream of a worry free and careless life. Devoid of challenges and adversities. I long for peace and not fight in the arena of the corporate world. But then i realise that this is what life I was given and these are the "gifts" that God has chosen for me. I am thankful to the Lord for giving me this capacity to overcome this trials in life.

Call to Arms Speech
In my Call to Arms speech I tried a different approach, noting that I wanted to exercise my authentic self. I wanted to test my skills as well as try other methods of communication, in demonstrating my authentic self. I tried to accomplished that by trying to recruit my whole class and convince them to apply and make a career in Nestle. The place where i grow up the most.

Here are some points of my Speech:

" Most companies are built to improve but we in Nestle, we pride ourselves for being masters of innovation and creativity……..But what we have here is development and enrichment of one's life."

" self awareness is the key to conquer fear and weaknesses, so be aware, ask your selves, is this my purpose, look in to your heart and see what you are passionate about"

"In Nestle, Don't be afraid to fail, But instead innovative, learn so that you may put in your hands to your own success."

"our secret framework of success" 

> We Empower our employees, We toss our employees to the deep end of the pool, allowing them to swim through the sea of challenges,allowing them to rise from the depths and enter the high peaks of success.

>We allow them to "fail fast" so that they can learn faster. 

>We do what teachers do, we guide your people to change encouraging to be the proponents of change and to teach them how to ride the tides of change.
And lastly we, value and respect our people, we all ways believe that values and ownership is the core of everything we do here.

"I invite you to ride the tides of change, Coz tonight when you enter the halls of nestle, you are our future, you are change."
"I'm not gonna promise you that it's going to be easy………This will be the most exciting, most challenging and the most rewarding experience in your entire professional life."

Realisation:
I realised now what my strengths are, but only when in my optimal condition of balancing stress and creativity, do I truly bring out my best. This is not my best work yet, but I believe this could be a start of something great. I also heard a lot of great speeches among my peers, I truly believed that I expanded my capacity for compassion by just learning and hearing the stories of my fellow
students.



Where am I now?

  •      Based on my Enneagram, my personality type I have is an Achiever with Wing type of a helper and an individualist. ironically, I crave attention and recognition from my family friends and peers by trying to emulate being the best at what I do. I try to emulate being successful but often times I feel inadequate. I try to separate myself from others by being unique and original but at the same time, needing the acceptance and recognition that I crave from others.
  •      In my Genogram, It is obvious that I still harbor deep hurt from what happened in my childhood. But as Christians are taught to forgive by Christ, I too should learn to let go of my burdens.
  • In  My life story, it depicts the life of a Hero who is initially full of self doubt and confusion a,path of self destruction and regret. I too feel that sometimes, But with the help and support of my family and friends, I hope to surpass these emotions and gear toward the path of self healing and re invigoration. 
  • Internal and external factors that shaped me 
I know now whats important. These small unresolved issues led to a bigger issues. And that is my inability to take responsibility for my actions and my lack of initiative to learn. I am enlightened to discover that these external factors does not weigh as much as internal factors. A successful leadership goal.with integrated values are what i need to develop still.
  • My strength and weakness are sometimes are intertwined. As an achiever I am compelled to succeed but at the same time its also a source of my frustrations and insecurity.
  • My defining moments are my childhood in a new place and my parents separation. but positive, it resulted to be being resilient and self reliant. I value my family more because of this experiences.  

Where am I going?

What I have been? Where are you doing about it now and what are you planning to do to lead a meaningful life.

   In order for mr to achieve my five year plan goals, I need to have a strategic plan. I should ask this question: what strategy should I employ to implement this change in me? What type of leader I want to be?

As a Leader I want to be:
  • I want to be respected , loved and recognised. As a leader, It is very dangerous to want such things.
  • I want be a leader that has an aspiration to help those who are in need, especially those who are elderly and children.
  • I want to be an authentic leader, by being my authentic self using my own personality and my personal experiences as the the foundation of the values that will hold me as a true leader of myself and my future followers. 
- Allowing myself to be influenced by great leaders and role models thru reading biographies and articles for self development.


How to get there:

"Lead with the end in mind", "Magis" is the key.I should be a proponent of change, even if it causes you personally discomfort.Even if it means that change should start with myself. I should see conflict as a tool for change.
In order to survive this treacherous path of a leader, I must be willing to empower others, to allow them to do initiative and then support and future them. value their independence and allow them to figure among themselves resolutions to their conflicts.
Do Examen, as Jesuits would call it, and reflect on your day,making it possible to regain your composure and at the same time asses your actions towards everything that happen that day.
Must have a confidant, a mentor or support group that will accept you and be honest with you at all times."

Why Will I lead? 
  • To make a positive, lasting and remarkable change in other people's lives and our organisation.
  • To enjoy the joys and rewards of leading people to greatness, to inspire others to achieve in spite of pain and danger.
  • Support team, must be diverse. Supportive Spouse, Motivating mentor, Friends that accept me for who I am.
What motivates me? 
  • Internally- Helping other discover their true potential and contribute positively in society and country , Doing a good job at whatever I'm doing ; Extrinsic- recognition, success, owning my own successful business and be able to do this on my own was and own resources.
  • You should be the same person in all aspect of your life,if I choose to be authentic, I need to be consistent
Have been authentic in your life? What was the negative impact of being authentic? was it worth the price you paid? 
  • Not yet, but slowly I am trying to make a habit to be authentic and to be consistent in all my dealing with all the people that I interact with. Reprimanded and humiliated, it was worth the price I paid for being authentic.
What will you do(Steps to be an Authentic Leader?)Tomorrow, next month,Next year.(Short term and longterm? Short Term: 
  • I plan to do a year long deep reflection while in the mist of the fight for survival in the corporate world. Long term: Accept my failures and move forward and go on with achieving my goal.
Values: What is most important? 
- Family, Friends, Health,Love, Legacy,Respect, Loyalty those are the qualities that is important to be. 
What are the step to find your authentic leadership.
  • be the same person wherever I am and whom ever I am with - needs strong personal life. 


Here are some insights from the recommended readings by the Professor.

  • Authentic leadership
-People trust you when you are authentic, Leaders develop long lasting meaningful relationships, self-dicipline is the way to get results. Overcome difficult experiences in their lives and use it as an inspiration to succeed.if there is passion to lead oneself then others will follow. The Challenge and Purpose of an authentic leader is to get the satisfaction of leading a group of people that you motivated, to achieve their collective goal.


  • HBR
Emotional intelligence is more important than IQ.
According to the articles in HBR, the five components of an effective leadership EQ are: Self Awareness, Self regulation, Motivation, Emphaty and Social Skilll. It is imperative to integrate these things to my personal vision and mission if I am to gain lasting and remarkable results in whatever endeavour I will choose to pursue.

  • The makings of an effective Executive
Getting the right things done in the right way, aiming at developing a plan that involves asking the right questions , to uncover the needs of your company and the things that needs to be done about it.Its about taking responsibilities of our actions and ultimately the accountability of each each individuals in our organisation.

  • What leaders do
Contrary to most belief, being a  leader and manager is not the same. 
According to the article, being a leader means that he is to provide direction and setting direction by aligning people to the right jobs and position, whereas, a manager is responsible in planning and organising its staff being able to solve problems and controlling situations are his objectives.I plan to be more of a leader, but I should have enough managerial skills to spot grade talents that want to imply in the future. To spot greatness in everyone and old them to be great leaders.

  • Why any one be led by you?
by Robert Goffee and Gareth Jones
  • An expert leader must get the heart, mind and spirit of his team
  • must be an inspirational leader
  • Must selectively show your weaknesses with out revealing too much that will undermine your strengths.
  • Dare to be different. Be unique with out separating your self from your followers hearts and minds
  • to be a sensor-like, collecting and validating observations and feelings that may be crucial to your cause 
  • Tough empathy- being selective about giving their followers their needs rather than what they want.
insights: these characteristics are very useful in uncovering the needs of an organisation and its people.What people people want may not be what the rest of company needs. We need to be firm but emphatic at the same time.

  • Crucibles of of leadership by Warren Bennis and Robert Thomas
  • leaders must learn from adversity, for with this challenges and severe trials in our, we truly are tested and reveal our true potential as successful leaders. 
  • And such skills should develop after these life altering events:
  • Engagement through shared meaning
  • To be a distinct and compelling voice - be a voice of reason and compassion, letting everyone know that you share their thoughts and feeling but is also not afraid to voice out what is right.
  • Demonstrate integrity- by adhering to your own set of values we should be able to transform this to our leadership vision and influence greatly on our followers
  • Adoptive Capacity- to have the internal fortitude and mental toughness to embrace all challenges that leaders may encounter along the way.
insights: Is all about the the leaders ability to jump over the hurdles of adversity. like a warrior, you will only be ready when you are tested in the battles of war.

  • Level 5 leadership
  • to ascend from highly Capable individual to being a transformative leader having great humility, iron clad will and determination
  • high level of self awareness and the a profoundly transformative event is needed to elevate a leader to lever 5.
  • growing to level 5 leadership needs 4 factors, having the right people, having the right attitude, going for the right target goals, doing this in the right way.


Thank you for reading my Final integrative Paper.

Alexis Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment