Monday, December 14, 2015

Regis Cebu Leadership Reflection Paper 2 – External and Internal Factors That Shaped Me by Leader Juvelon Abante

Regis Cebu Leadership Reflection Paper 2 – External and Internal Factors That Shaped Me by Leader Juvelon Abante
1.      External - what are family, environment, school and work experience that shaped you today?
Family & Environment
I spent my childhood in Bacoor, Cavite.  My Mother left for an opportunity abroad when I was only 2 years old. The following year, my Father also followed my Mom in Saudi Arabia. With both of my parents working abroad, we were left only with our old lady house helper. Sometimes, our Aunt who was living also in the neighborhood will visit us to check if we were ok. We have a sari sari store in our house, this is located just in front  of the Iglesia Ni Cristo church thus I got to know the kids of the INC members and because of that I can access the vicinity of the church and play on the garden area. These INC kids and the kids on the neighborhood became my family.  This is the start where I face responsibility as early as a kid. I knew that I had to be accountable for my sister while my parents are away. It develops my mindset of being protective to my sister and nurture her and act as parent / guardian. As early as childhood, I already learned to watch our sari sari store, buy the groceries needed in a nearby wholesale store. I have learned to cook and prepare our baon. I already know how to ride public transportation such as jeepney or tricycle going to my cousins as early as 6 years old.



Even if my parents is working abroad, My Uncle from my father side would visit us every summer to bring me in Batangas, the hometown of my Father. We had a big family clan in Batangas and I spent most of my summer in there. We had a close family ties from our grandparents down to us grandsons and granddaughters. My lola always explaining to me why my Parents is working abroad and telling me to be always responsible for myself and my sister. This is the reason why we I valued family ties with my relatives both from my Mother and Father Side.
My father retired from working abroad when I was graduating from Elementary School. My mom told me that my Dad would now be watching over us since we are now approaching our adolescence stage and it would be better if there is my father. My father is very strict, he always tells us to learn household chores aside from focusing only on studies. He always reminds us to value our money because my Mom is working hard in abroad saving for our future.
Eventhough my mother is working abroad, we had always keep in contact by sending letters even when we were still young. By the time telephone was already established, we had a regular communication already by making overseas calls at least once a week. My mother is the eldest among their siblings. She helps my Lola on sending her sisters to schools because she is the one to graduate early and find a job. My mom taught us to be humble and respectful at all times. This is her 2 core values that she always practice and remind us to do the same.
School
I met my best friends during my High school days. It was in second year that we have formed our friendship and camaraderie. This is where I have started my leadership skills. I became the class president and these made the class become closer until our 4th year high school. Because our house is just a block away from school, we normally spend our afternoon with my high school friends in our house. Playing video games, watching movies or play table tennis. Our house became an extension of our school. Until now when my high school friends met up, we always decide to do it in our house to reminisce our good times during our high school days.
During my high school I did not pay too much attention to my academics, not until when I was in college in Mapua. It was a big adjustment for me because I came from business high school while Mapua is an Engineering school. It was a struggle for me during my first year. It was in my second year that I have fully adjusted and focus on my studies. This leads to an academic scholarship until I graduated from Mapua.
Work
After passing the board exams in April 2006, I have landed a job at Fluor Daniel Inc. Philippines. It is a multinational company in the industry of Engineering and Construction. Since it is a very diverse company, here I have applied the humbleness and respectful just as my mother would always remind me. By applying this attitude, I find it easy to get along with my workmates and also learn from them.  This is where I have developed my coaching skills when my department manager have tasked me to facilitate  a training and lead a group of developing engineers to be a subject matter expert just like me. This opportunity leads me to being a Project Lead and handles my own team.
2.      Internal- what are your values, strength, weakness and how do they affect on how you decide and act?
Strength
I discover during I was in College that I am a multi task person. I have the ability to multi task things. These became my strength as I have used it until now with my work. I have learned to prioritize and manage my time effectively balancing my work, family and my studies. This ability affects my decision on getting the things done and work on it according to its priority.
Coaching is my strength; I find it easy on boost self-esteem on my team members even on the most challenging times of our project. This is why I drives the changes to our team to execute our project successfully.
Weaknesses
I find it hard on saying "NO".  This is because I always think of the feeling of others before I decide or act. If there is a possible conflict to the other person, sometimes I tend to give way even if this is not the right decision.
3.      How do they prepare you for your future challenges?
Right now, my career and my family are starting to take off. I have loving and supporting wife, a 3 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. I am just starting to become one of the future leaders in the company. But reflecting on my external and internal factors, it will become a big help for me as I prepare to face any roadblocks. I knew that my family is my priority and I must prepare to keep it prioritized even on the most challenging times that I will face with my leadership career in the company.
I will be meeting a lot of personalities in the future but I can always go back on my Mother's teaching that humbleness and respect plays a big part of the person's success.
REFLECTION

What is the new learning? What is the relation to what I already know? What have I done, am doing and will be doing for this topic?

1.      External Factors - I have realized that my external factors help me shaped for what I am now. My family value plays a big part on what we are practicing in my own family. My focus on my studies converts to a good career at work.
2.      Individual's Strengths and Weaknesses – Being aware of my strengths and weaknesses enable me to assess my leadership model.  Being self- aware, I can act and decide on matters according to I am capable of or not. This is where I drive my goals and values and how I can made an impact to others.
3.      Leadership Within - My leadership experience in high school has shaped me to become a good leader in my family, in my career and in my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment