Friday, December 18, 2015

Regis Cebu Leadership Movie Synopsis, Analysis of JCampbell Monomyth and My Life Story by Leader Melchor Castro Daclan

Hi Prof. Jorge,

I am now using my gmail account, the church email address I was using has auto filtering once private information detected. 

Thank you very much Prof. Jorge.

Regards,

Melchor C.Daclan





Regis Cebu Leadership
Leader Melchor Castro Daclan
Movie Synopsis, Analysis of JCampbell's Monomyth and My Life Story

Synopsis of the Movie Forrest Gump
Forrest Gump movie was created in Year 1994 with starring Tom Hunks is my selected film for my paper. This follows the life events of a man who shares the name as the title of the film. Gump faces many tribulations throughout his life, but he never lets any of them interfere with his happiness. From wearing braces on his legs, to having a below average IQ and even being shot, Gump continues to believe that good things will happen and goes after his dreams. While several less than ideal things occur during Gump's life, he manages to turn each setback into something good for him, such as when he finally gets his braces off he discovers that he is capable of running faster than most other people. This skill allows Gump to not only escape his bullies while he is a child in Greenbow, but also to gain a football scholarship, save many soldiers' lives and become famous for his ability. While Gump eventually achieves the majority of the things he hoped to throughout the movie, it proved a much more difficult task to win the heart of his life-long friend Jenny Curran. The movie is centered on Forrest Gump and the incidences that occur during his life, but during each period in his lifetime he thinks back of Jenny and how important she is to him. Although the two characters grew up together and shared a very close friendship, as the movie progresses they grow apart. This upsets Gump who cares immensely for the girl who had a rough start in life, and it seems the two always end up back in each other's lives, often in extraordinary ways like meeting in the Reflection Pond in D.C. Even though Gump is the main character of the film, it similarly tells the story of Curran and the hardships she faces.

The Hero is introduced in his ordinary world
"Stupid is as stupid does" is what Forrest Gump hears throughout his less than picturesque childhood. Though not as smart as the people he meets along the way, Forrest is thrust into some scary, crazy and downright incredible situations, rubbing shoulders with some great historical figures and escaping many dangers on sheer dumb-luck. His giant heart and never fading love for his lifelong friend Jenny take him on a journey where he learns what his destiny is.


The Call to Adventure
A man with a low I.Q. has accomplished his Call to Adventure with great things in his life and been present during significant historic events - in each case, far exceeding what anyone imagined he could do. Yet, despite all the things he has attained, his one true love eludes him. "Forrest Gump" is the story of a man who rose above his challenges, and who proved that determination, courage, and love are more important than ability.

The Hero is reluctant at first
The film chronicles his accidental experiences with some of the most important people and events in America from the late 1950s through the 1970s including a meeting with Elvis Presley, JFK, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, fighting in Vietnam, etc. The problem is, he's too stupid to realize the significance of his actions. Forrest becomes representative of the baby boomer generation having walked through life blindly.

The Hero is encouraged by a wise man and woman
Despite Forrest's (Hanks) low IQ, he is not your average guy. Learning early on from his mother (Sally Field) that "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get," Gump, without trying, stumbles upon some exciting events. He teaches Elvis Presley to dance, becomes a football star, meets John F. Kennedy, serves with honor in Vietnam with Lieutenant Dan (Gary Sinise), meets Lyndon Johnson, speaks at an anti-war rally at the Washington Monument, defeats the Chinese national team in table tennis, meets Richard Nixon, discovers the break-in at the Watergate, opens a profitable shrimping business with his old army pal (Mykelti Williamson), becomes an original investor in Apple Computers, and decides to run back and forth across the country for several years.

The hero passes the first threshold
Still, the best use of mise-en-scene comes during the adult "run Forrest run" scene. As he sprints away from a truck, note the "stars and bars" of a Confederate license plate. Here, Zemeckis equates the "stars and bars" with the villains of this scene, turning Forrest into a symbol of America itself — running away from a racist past. When Forrest says he could "run like the wind blows," I can't help but think of the old southern, slave-owning life being "gone with the wind." As the country band Alabama put it: "Song, song of the south. Sweet potato pie and I shut my mouth. Gone, gone with the wind. Ain't no body lookin' back again." Run, Forrest, run indeed.

The hero encounters tests and helpers
Forrest is born to an Alabama boardinghouse owner (Sally Field) who tries to correct his posture by making him wear braces, but who never criticizes his mind. When Forrest is called "stupid," his mother tells him, "Stupid is as stupid does," and Forrest turns out to be incapable of doing anything less than profound. Also, when the braces finally fall from his legs, it turns out he can run like the wind.

Hero reaches his innermost cave
It could be argued that with his IQ of 75 Forrest does not quite understand everything that happens to him. Not so. He understands everything he needs to know, and the rest, the movie suggests, is just surplus. He even understands everything that's important about love, although Jenny, the girl he falls in love with in grade school and never falls out of love with, tells him, "Forrest, you don't know what love is." She is a stripper by that time.

The hero endures the supreme ordeal
The moviemakers also elaborated more happiness into the ending. Forrest whose life is full of tragedy – growing up without father, being partly mentally and physically disabled, and losing his best friend, his mother and his wife – deserves more cheerfulness in his life. Now, we could argue that Forrest already had a lot of cheerful moments in his life, considering the success in playing football and ping pong, being a Vietnam War hero, or the wealth he gets from shrimp business. But these are achievements which he does not totally realize and therefore are a matter of indifference to him.

The hero seizes the sword
The most important turning point in his life is becoming a father. That is also the point where Forrest becomes mature. In the roll as father Forrest does not play the idiot any longer. He even starts thinking himself, in a philosophical way, not only repeating what other people said to him before.  

The Road Back
While several less than ideal things occur during Gump's life, he manages to turn each setback into something good for him, such as when he finally gets his braces off he discovers that he is capable of running faster than most other people. This skill allows Gump to not only escape his bullies while he is a child in Greenbow, but also to gain a football scholarship, save many soldiers' lives and become famous for his ability.

Resurrection
Forrest stands next to the schoolhouse door with George Wallace, he teaches Elvis how to swivel his hips, he visits the White House three times, he's on the Dick Cavett show with John Lennon, and in a sequence that will have you rubbing your eyes with its realism, he addresses a Vietnam-era peace rally on the Mall in Washington. Special effects are also used in creating the character of Forrest's Vietnam friend Lt. Dan (Gary Sinise), a Ron Kovic type who quite convincingly loses his legs.

He returns with the Elixir
Forrest Gump did not just become a millionaire but he motivated a lot of people around him along the way. He made a lot of wonderful moments in the life of others. He is very successful in turning his weaknesses into strengths. In his life adversary made him strong. He was totally an instrument, in helping others to become better persons.


REFLECTION PAPER
                                                                   
The Hero is introduced in his ordinary world.
I grew up in Military environment, in which the parents will punish their children with belt and stick once makes mistakes. I grow up with that kind of discipline. Almost all parents in our community in Mactan Air Base, Lapu – Lapu City are practicing such culture. That discipline prepared us to become obedient to the commandments of God and to become good leaders in the community.

Because we are nine children in the family, financial difficulty is expected and it is normal for me and my siblings to work on something in the house before going to school in the morning. I am in charge in raising our ducks, chickens, pigs, goats, and cows. Every morning it is my routine to go to the field to cut plenty of grass and kankong (water spinach) to feed these animals. I was a memorable moment for me. I am totally different from other children, who will just wake up, take shower, eat and go to school. While me, I need to wake up very early in the morning to accomplish everything or else my mother will not give me my daily allowance, which is worth for my travel and snacks while in school.

Very early in my life I already understood what the meaning of hard work is.


The Call to Adventure
When I was called to serve as Full-time Missionary in Philippines Bacolod Mission I attended a special rigid training in Manila Missionary Training Center (MTC). Because of the challenges of the training and strict schedule management I gained a lot of skills to be the best missionary as I can be. In the MTC you can really feel the spirit of the Lord, the feeling is so strong and it is more than I can describe. I cannot deny the plainness and truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that He lives.

When I arrived in Negros Occidental which is my mission assignment, I was amazed of the huge fields of sugar cane, most especially in Hacienda Victorias and in Hacienda Manapla. It was in deed beautiful sugar cane fields and so many amazing places in Negros Occidental. I like the culture; the people in Bacolod are so polite and have a sweet personality.

That mission field was in deed adventure for me. I was 20 years old knocking on doors and talking to a lot of strangers. Together with my companion I was courageous enough to talk and share the gospel of Jesus Christ to the people in several Haciendas. As missionaries we always work two by two.

As a missionaries we always encountered challenges most especially rejections. In spite of doing our best to let the people understand the Plan of Salvation but some people just don't believe and they cannot remove vices such as smoking and drinking which are some of the very basic requirements before they will be baptized.


The Hero is Reluctant at first
Several years after I successfully finished my mission in Philippines Bacolod Mission, I became the youngest among the Managers in Latter-day Saints (LDS) Welfare Program worldwide. I was 28 years old when I attended the Worldwide Leadership Training in Salt Lake City, USA, Headquarter. Most of the participants are mostly 45 years old and older.

I was very reluctant during the worldwide managers training, but I don't have a choice but to represent our country Philippines. I really prayed hard and I was guided to participate very well and receive some special award.

Being a manager is a big challenge, the expectation was very high. But because of the challenges I became matured and gradually became season leader in the church environment.

The Hero is encouraged by a wise man
I was very lucky to have a matured Stake President who is my superior ecclesiastical leader who encouraged me to stay in Philippines as my service area and to help developing church leaders in the country.

As results I serve in the Church Young Men Organization. In which I was helping them to become qualified to serve as Full-time Missionaries.

I was being reminded by the President of the Church and General Authorities to serve according to my calling to the best of my ability


The hero passes the first threshold
When I resigned from my managerial position in LDS Welfare Department due to some simple childish conflicts with some people that I need to avoid, I struggled a lot. Because the packages and benefits I was receiving from the Church Employment is very much higher to compare to the other companies in the Philippines. I considered it as a wrong move. Sometimes it takes mistakes in order to learn a lesson in life.

The hero encounters tests and helpers
After resigning from LDS Welfare Department, I set up several companies in Metro Cebu, including Business Process Outsourcing (BPO), in which I attended a lot of court hearing to resolve companies and employees concerns.

Then I work in Singapore, managing multiple events.  It is always sad to be far away from my family, it seems life is abundant working abroad but I was not happy. I truly believed that our families are the source of true happiness.

While working in Singapore I receive a call from Temple Department, the director asked me if I want to go home and serve in Cebu City Philippines Temple. I immediately accept the offer although the package is very low. To be together with my family and to serve to any church department are my priorities.

This director was my helping me; he is an instrument in order to fulfill the will of God. Few months after I was called as a Bishop, a calling with high trust and confidence, in which I need to maintain high dignity and unquestionable integrity.


Hero reaches his innermost cave
In between on my projects I found myself for several times not making any income for the family, each time it is happening I was always tempted recalling my regrets why I resigned from my managerial position in LDS Welfare Department and tempted to hate, and blame other people for my failures.

I learned in a hard way that proper communication is vital in every organization to have a harmonious life while working hard for the best results.

The hero endures the supreme ordeal
Now that I am married with 3 children, my tasks in life are getting tougher. Especially when my wife and I learned that my 2nd child is a special child. She was diagnosed with autism. That situation triggered our emotion. I can still recall when I gave her a father's blessing in the church when she is still a new born baby. One of the blessings that I pronounced to her was: "Melchaella, I bless you with a beautiful voice that will soften the hearts of the people around you". However, years after years Melchaella could not speak, could not socialize with other children and then she was diagnose with autism. I was heart breaking moment for our family.

The church leaders are comforting us, that the purpose of life to gain experience before we will go back to the presence of our Heavenly Father. That every one of us will face some difficult situations along the way and this is my calling to be a father of a special child. The rest of my life I will protect and nurture her to the best of my abilities.

Because of my life challenges, It is now my strength to endure from difficulties; my experiences made me strong as a person. It is now easier for me to understand people and to get along with diverse personalities.

The Hero seizes the sword 
This time while I am raising a young family, I am serving as a Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Temple Worker of Cebu City Philippines Temple, Board of Director of REACH a Foundation for Special Children and I am an MBA Student in Ateneo de Manila University, Graduate School. My life is a combination of Responsibilities, Challenges and Blessings. My favorite was the blessings in disguise.

I always love to be challenge, feel the pain about it and then gain rewards from the tremendous battle.

The Road back
Now that I am back from Singapore, I will dedicate myself, serving in the Church the rest of my life. I will prepare very well for the higher priesthood callings. I will qualify myself by studying hard the handbook of instructions for the leaders. I will organize very well the programs in the ward and maximize leadership trainings. I will prepare some priesthood holders to become qualified to replace as a bishop someday. And most especially to prepare myself to become worthy by obeying all the commandments of God and I need to be humble, teachable and submissive to my superior ecclesiastical leaders.

My Masters in Business Management (MBA Regis) in Ateneo de Manila University is a great place to learn management and leadership. It is a good avenue to get to know with the people outside the church environment and learn from them according to their interests, opinions and abilities. 

Resurrection
For over 20 years of my church related leadership, I gained knowledge and wisdom on how to understand and serve the people in the church. My commitment is with prayer and fasting.

Before I was not very sure if I am for the church service or not. But this time, I have full understanding now that this is my calling from God, this is my reality and this is who I am! I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints which usually called Mormons and I am a Bishop in this beautiful Church.

Return of Elixir
Finally, after finding out of whom I am for the Lord, I received divine direction of what I should be doing the rest of my life. This is my life style and I found sense of joy, most especially watching those united and happy families under my congregation. I came to a realization that as long I am true to my faith all the difficulties in life will be utilized for my own benefit, to shape me up to become the best leader as I can be.
Finally, I am truly happy of my challenges as a leader by following the divine direction in fulfilling all my responsibilities according to my callings.

No comments:

Post a Comment