Thursday, October 15, 2015

MM: Leadership by Leader Alex Tan - Movie Synopsis, JCampbell Monomyth and My Life Story

Leader Alexis Tan's Movie analysis, my Life's story
Hero that "Never backs Down"
Master of two worlds: Himself and His circumstances

The movie " Never Back down" may not be a well known movie, most of the people I know has never even heard of it. But unlike any movies, this is where i can relate my life the most. From the hero's challenges, to his situation in the story, this movie reflects my life the closest. In the number of times that i've seen this movie, I found that there are a lot of the character's personality and experiences that we are alike, not only because I have a passion MMA myself, but because of the lessons this movie showed me that applies in my life, even up to this day. The lesson of choosing to never lose courage and always controlling the situation especially yourself. 
So, Here we go..Let's get it on!


Synopsis:
Hero: Jake Tyler (Sean Faris) is like any other teenage boy,athletically gifted but deeply troubled. What set him apart from most is the situation wherein his father died recently in a car accident and he was with him during that accident. But unlike his father, he survived the crash. What is sad also is that he could have prevented it by adamantly insisting that he drive home his father after drinking from a bar, but because he was unsure of himself, he let his dad drive them home drunk that led to the accident.

Hero introduced in his ordinary world:
On the 1st scene he is pitted in an ordinary world as he helps his high-school football team win an important game. A frustrated player from the opposing team makes taunts about Jake's father, who died while driving drunk. Infamously-hot-tempered Jake starts a brawl with the opposing player. 
Archetype: HERALD- event/group of people
Spectators capture the brawl with mobile phones and video-cameras. Soon, the brawl is uploaded to YouTube.
The call to adventure
Jake gets thrown off the team for brawling, but takes it in stride because he is leaving this school anyway. He and his younger brother Charlie (Wyatt Henry Smith) are moving with their widowed mom to Orlando, Florida where Charlie has received a tennis scholarship. The Tyler brothers are close despite Jake's penchant for fighting and getting into trouble, which greatly upsets their mom (Leslie Hope).

At his new school, Jake has a hard time fitting in. He catches the eye of Baja Miller (Amber Heard), a pretty classmate who flirts with him. Later, Jake notices fellow student Max Cooperman (Evan Peters) getting beaten up on campus. Jake rushes to Max's aid, only to discover that the "bullying" he disrupted was actually a street-kickboxing match. Everybody present, including Max, demands that the astonished Jake leave him be.

The Hero is reluctant at first
At school the next day, Max lets it be known that there are videos on the internet of Jake's football brawl, which has gained him a positive reputation on campus. Max invites Jake to come and learn mixed martial arts with his instructor, while Baja invites Jake to a party at her boyfriend Ryan McCarthy's mansion. Jake declines the former offer but accepts the latter. 

Archetype: SHADOWS: Ryan McCarthy,"Ryan the  Annihilator "
Archetype: TRICKSTER: Baja, Ryan's girlfriend
At McCarthy Manor that night, host Ryan (Cam Gigandet) - having seen the internet footage - challenges Jake to demonstrate his brawling prowess in a fight against...Ryan himself. When Jake refuses the challenge, letting Ryan know that Jake came to the party only because Baja invited him. Ryan kisses Baja in front of Jake to verify whose girlfriend she is. Jake realises that he's been set up, and attempts to leave - until Ryan makes taunts about the disgraceful death of Jake's father. An angry Jake accepts the challenge but is brutally defeated by Ryan. Baja appears disgusted with Ryan for continually beating on Jake, despite the fact that Jake was obviously down and out.A mismatched opponent.





The Hero is encouraged by the wise old man or woman
A day later, Max comes to Jake's house, and repeats the invitation to come and learn Mixed Martial Arts from Max's instructor, Jean Roqua (Djimon Hounsou). This time, Jake accepts. He meets Max at Roqua's gym and is introduced to Roqua himself. Roqua briefly interviews Jake...who, he senses, is there for the wrong reasons. Nonetheless, Roqua allows Jake to train with him - both in class, and personally before classes - on the condition that Jake does not fight anybody for any reason outside the gym. 

Archetype: MENTOR- Jean Roqua (Djimon Hounsou).

Jake notices that Roqua apparently lives in the gym.
The night after Jake's first training session, Baja comes over to his house to apologise for setting him up at the party. Jake quickly retorts after Baja tells him about her school life, saying "Does that mean I'm meant to feel sorry for you because you're popular?" The next day, Baja confronts Ryan and breaks up with him on account that he beat Jake up. In his anger, he grabs Baja's arm and refuses to let go, even after she pleads. Jake appears and attempts to stop it, only to which Ryan insults his late father, saying "You're weak...like your old man...was". This insult has a negative impact on Jake's training that afternoon. At the gym, he is too aggressive, and, Roqua, sensing this, tells him to go home to cool off. Max gives Jake a ride in his Ford Mustang. 

The Hero passes the 1st threshold
At a set of lights, three guys in a yellow Hummer relentlessly and annoyingly beep their horn at Max. Jake, still angry from Ryan's insult, and spurred on by the repetitive horn, goes out to confront the three guys. He beats them all up on the street, and the footage is filmed by Max, and uploaded and spread throughout the internet. This further improves his social profile within the school, now being the second-most popular boy after Ryan.

The Hero encounters tests and helpers.
The next training session, unfortunately for Jake, Roqua sees that Jake has wounds on his knuckles which could have only come from fighting against his rules and banishes Jake from the gym. When Roqua goes grocery shopping, Jake confronts him and admits that Roqua was right: he signed up to train for the wrong reasons. Max as a helper, helped him convince Roqua to allow him to go back to the gym and train w/ him in MMA.

Jake also tells Roqua the late Mr. Tyler's story; evidently, Jake feels that his mother blames him for her husband's demise. Roqua then tells his story: he had an younger brother, who was an excellent mixed-martial artist. One day in a bar, a local bully mouthed off at young Joseph, who was about to fight the bully himself. His brother won the brawl, only to be shot and killed by the bully's friends. Jean's father blames him for permitting the situation to escalate into violence which could have been avoided. Jean left home over that; he has not seen his father, or even set foot in Brazil, for the past seven years.

The Hero's Ordeal
Jake declines to enter The Beatdown- a local MMA event. When Ryan discovers this turn of events he invites Max to McCarthy Manor on false pretences. There Ryan engages Max in combat and beats him brutally. Fearing for his friends' safety, Jake reverses his decision and enters The Beatdown after all - only to face Ryan. Roqua hears of this as well, and confronts Jake with an ultimatum: Jake will never be allowed near the gym again if he even goes to The Beatdown, much less fights in it. Jake - realising that Roqua is trying to prevent him from making the same mistake which Roqua himself made with his own father - answers that Roqua's only mistake was not doing what Jake himself is about to do. the said mistake wasn't brawling; it was evading the conflict at hand, rather than confronting and resolving it.

The Hero reaches the innermost cave/belly of the whale
Jake goes to the Beatdown and surprising everyone by winning his matches, despite being new to the sport. ultimately winning way tho the semifinal wherein in in the finals he will face Ryan, he's goal. 

The Hero's Reward
At The Beatdown, both Jake and Ryan reach the semi-finals. Then Ryan is disqualified for eye-gouging. In view of this, Jake taps out one second into his semi-final bout (because his purpose for entering The Beatdown to begin with is no longer present).

The Hero Resurrection
Outside the club, Ryan attacks Jake and they have a spectacular brawl in the club parking lot. The crowd from inside the Beatdown went out to the parking lot to see the fight. the fight was evenly matched with Ryan's experience and expertise, pitted against Jake's passionate stand and new found abilities.They are able to electrify the crowd. Ultimately Jake wins the fight. 

The Return with the Elixir
Jake has won the respect of all his fellow students, up to and including Ryan.Citing the lesson that we all have own battles to fight and it's up to us to choose to flee or fight and control the outcome of the situation by being always on top of it and controlling one self and emotions to conquer everyday hurdles in life.

Atonement with the father 
For the first time in a long while,because of the lessons he learned from his student, Roqua closes the gym and goes to visit his family in Brazil to fight for his father's love and forgiveness.

Significance of the movie to my life.
Hero: My life's story have a lot of similarities with the movie. And like the movie I was faced with the same challenges that he faced then. As a teenager, I was very unsure of myself,a lot of it came from the fact that I grew up in a broken home. I also had issues coping up with others, as unlike the other kids in school, i didn't have support from my parents. Growing up they weren't around much. i didn't have my father around to teach me about school or sports  or even life. He was never there, when I got beaten up by the school bully. And obviously my mom wasn't there also to patch up my wounds. I grew up feeling I was alone in this world. And i felt that for the most part of my life.
Hero introduced in his ordinary world
Im sure there are a lot of people like me, growing up far from their families. but unlike most of them , I felt that my family left me. So knowing that I had no one to depend on, I took it upon myself to "raise myself". I knew then in an early age that if wanted to survive in this world, i needed to grow up faster and be independent. I needed to be strong,for me to pull through, I needed to study and sharpen my skills, I needed to do what my peers did not have to be at their age, I need to be an adult and be self reliant, because  i can depend on no one but myself.
The call to adventure
Back then I knew that I need to be strong, but i didn't now how. So stuck to what i had, perseverance. I studied hard and i got through college completely on my own. I supported myself by working in a fast food chain. I'm an above average student but unfortunately i learned that I'm not that smart. Academic work was hard for me, but even that did not deter me from finishing school.So when I graduated, I immediately got to work, my goal was to be able to get a great job and live my comfortably.But Im afraid it was not that easy, i had to get through a lot of dead end jobs. I did not lose hope though, but my hopes of having a successful career is fast fading. I worked as hard as i could but even perseverance could not help me now.
Archetype: HERALD- my Wife
Archetype: SHADOWS- Life and Career challenges
The Hero is reluctant at first
People saw how I persevere in my work, so they keep on telling me keep on at it and to apply on other jobs. I was reluctant, because I was afraid of losing what little comforts that I had. I was performing well at work but even then i knew it was not lasting. When I met my wife Kristina, a fresh grad back then, I was drawn to her optimistic her view of life, and I loved how she encourages me to stay positive. I dare to hope again for a better future. And when we married and had kids soon after, i promised myself i would never let my kids feel the hurt and desolation of having a broken family ever. I promised myself to provide them the best future I could possibly offer, to the best of my abilities. I also started learning the art of self defence and later on was introduced to MMA. I do not do it to hurt or bully other people, but this is my way of ensuring that I adhere to the discipline that got me where I am right now in my life.
The Hero is encouraged by the wise old man or woman
So with my wife's encouragement and bags of hope, i applied for a position in Nestle, It took me a year to get in but I felt that it was worth it. My former boss was very encouraging, even giving an advice that I will never forget:
The Hero passes the 1st threshold
I got into Nestle as an associate at first but through performance and perseverance, I slowly rose from the ranks. I continue to do MMA and do sports. i kept on developing lasting relationships in my work place, that could help me in the future, not just for contacts and connection within the company, but to connect with individuals and learn from their everyday experiences. With the help of my mentors and my bosses I've learned a lot and is now a Category manager Handing all the Ice Cream Categories. 
Archetype: GUARDIANS - Managers
The Hero encounters tests and helpers.
My recent greatest challenge was when I experienced a horrid back pain last year, i could not walk, and I had to use a wheelchair going to my consultations in the Hospital. The doctors gave me these options i had: 1. was to resign from work because they say that i put too much pressure to my work and the stress maybe causing me pain, more that I could bear. 2nd is to have a major back surgery that may cause me more pain. Both did not hold any assurances of getting better. and have even put me, my life and my job at risk.  
Atonement with the father
I too had doubts before, But by mere praying helped me gain confidence that I can go back to my life. It is not normal yet, but slowly i am getting back in shape and doing more physically everyday. i owed it all to prayers not just from my family but from friends and supporters as well. I thank the Lord everyday for giving me another chance in life and i repay these blessings by serving as a Lay Minister in our church.
The Hero Resurrection
And so after a major spine surgery and 4 months out of work, I am now back to work and  slowly gaining confidence that i can perform with the same intensity that I had before but now i am careful not to overwork myself and balance my life. It is when you almost lost everything: my life, my job even my ability to walk, that you truly know what's important and prioritise your life accordingly. And that is God, family and life.

The Hero's Reward
I don't think I'm successful yet, I am still in that journey. but by being able to get into Ateneo and pursue my MBA degree, I know that the future holds clear in the horizon. And with help of my mentors and fellow classmates, I will conquer all the challenges ahead. And for the 1st time be balanced and complete,surrounded by Love and compassion from friends, family and mentors. they are with me in this battle called Life.
Like in the Movie "never back down", there will be times in life when we will be faced with seemingly insurmountable challenges. But by realising whats important to you, your goals and by understanding yourself. you may be able to conquer not only yourself but my meeting opposition head on and confronting every obstacle that you are faced with in life. through that, you truly find yourself and find satisfaction and peace within. 

Master of two worlds: Myself and my Circumstances
Thank you for reading my life's story.

4 comments:

  1. Well done, Bro! Thank you for sharing your life story and inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hero encounters tests and you nailed it, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comments on posts here are included in class participation 10 pts. More comments please....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard work and determination really paid off for you Alex. You're the man!

    ReplyDelete