Friday, October 30, 2015

MM Leadership Reflection Paper 2 Internal and External Factors that Shaped Me by Leader Mel Flores

Hi Prof,
Here's my Reflection 02. 
I recognized that the person I am today was shaped by many factors.  My beliefs and values were initially shaped by my family's culture and circumstances then changed by the influence of environment from the school and from work experiences.  It generally evolve from my dependency on authorities (my parents, grandparents, teachers, supervisors, rules and regulations) then later formed based on my own chosen principles.    
EXTERNAL (Family, Environment School and Work Experiences)
Family
My first memory as a child started when we were relocating from a place to another town in Isabela.  I remember my mother, brother, sister and I carrying bags and moving to a new house.  In that house I remember playing games with my siblings and cousins.  My mother was the strict in the family while my father was liberal and allows us things that my mother forbid.  In one occasion, my mother did not allow me to go out with my father, so I went inside waited for a few minutes then jumped out of the window and met with my father (planned all along with him).  Generally, my mother guided us to be disciplined, while my father, being a happy go lucky taught us to enjoy, play and take things light.  Then my father went abroad, go home and back for several years, but there was a period that he could not find another contract and have become jobless.  So my mother had to apply and take domestic job abroad to fill our financial gap.  That was the beginning of marital issues between them.  My father cheated on my mother, my mother wanted to break up with my father but he would not want to.  The start of my mother secretly meetings us, trying to take us with her and my father chasing us.  Eventually, my father got us in custody.  Then my mother had to head back abroad without clearing the issue between them.  My father, finally, got another job opportunity abroad, so he humbly asked my grandmother (mother side) to look out for us.  Those memories were vivid but we were (I am) at very young age.  We stayed with my grandparents during most of our forming age.  So I would attribute that family influence was hugely contributed by my grandparents.  My grandmother was a typical strict tyrannical lola from the old era, even my grandfather would bow to whatever she say.  She was conservative, me and my sister were not allowed to play outside for a long period of time, we were ordered never to mingle with boys (it is considered flirting).  We had to wake up early, because we were told we're not senoritas or senoritos.  We cannot go outside in the morning and feel the breeze, because we have to clean the house, wash dishes before displaying outside.  We were raised to be respectful and mahiyain, to the extent that we were not comfortable being put into the spotlight.  It was not the perfect way to raise children as I would like to raise my own children now, but we will forever be grateful to my grandmother for instilling strong foundation of good values in us.  People who knew our family situation commended us for not losing good control of our lives.  Some children whom parents are in abroad have often indulge in drug addiction, get into marriage early, etc.  But all the three of us finished our education without causing any headache to our parents and grandparents, and that can be accounted to the discipline shaped by my grandmother.  On the other hand, we were very lucky to have a lolo who would patiently cook for us (using the traditional stove fired by wood so it was not as convenient as today), walk 100 meters back and forth to fetch water for our needs everyday (for cooking, cleaning and bathing) and always the one to calmly explain the rules imposed by my lola.  I have seen in him how to empower people without using force.  When we have grown and got jobs, it was always great to treat our lolo, because of his attitude of being grateful, be it a small pasalubong, travel to a simple resort, etc., the smile in his face is overwhelming.  Separately, my parents made amends and got back together.  For me their biggest influence to us is the willingness to sacrifice for a love one, sacrifice for a certain period for an ultimate goal.  They have financed our education sacrificing to work away from our town for many years. 


                         
  
Environment/School
We were raised in a barangay 3 kilometers away from the town proper.  We live in a town where everybody knows anybody.  When I enrolled first grade we were under this single, terror - as kids I guess, we perceive all teachers as such.  I completed first grade as second honor though then it was not clear to me how I did it because I was just a kid doing whatever the teacher would asked me to do.  From Grade 2 until Grade 6, I maintained being number 2 and graduated salutatorian.  Luckily or unluckily (I have not been able to prove that I could beat her), the valedictorian transferred to another town to complete her high school.  I was given the same choice, however considering the adjustments I will have to undergo for meeting new classmates and living away from family, I decided to stay in our town.  Decision which I think is one of the best to serve me in my life.  It was in high school that I got the first taste that "no matter how good you are, you cannot please everybody".  Teachers would have their own bet of who is the best in our class and we, the students could evidently see it. It was a help that my cousin was a teacher in the same school and a good adviser.  She often talk and advise me to give my best shot, her faith in me built the faith in myself.  High school was a significant period of my life.  At this period, I started to realize that I am person, an individual who can make decisions on my own to take charge on the course of my life.  I have witnessed classmates who would talk to their parents, and to our teachers like they have a command of themselves.  I have never been trained like that, and I never I could answer back to anyone to give my opinion.  So from a "yes lola" girl, I have learned to decide and take charge of decisions affecting my own life.  It was this learning that me become more independent and strong and laying out my position and my rights against other people.  In college it was more of learning technical skills, I think there was not much relationship or personal building among teachers and students.  I was treated like anybody else, the teachers having no account and bias on who I am or where I came from.  It was like a period where you have to step up and introduce who you are.  Since it was not like high school where only one will be crowned the best, in college anyone can be a "laude" – so competition was against yourself.  It was hard to study like you're going nuts.  I have been very keen not to push myself too hard.  But everytime I see other students being able to recite or get higher score in exams, I get challenged.  I believe if they can, so can I.  It was that belief that made me earn a "laude" award plus a good genes (for the intellect) I guess.  I have seen other students study harder than me but could not somehow score or perform better).               
Work Experiences
After passing the CPA exam, I got a job on one of the accounting firms in Makati.  I only stayed there for less than 6 months and transferred to a government agency because of huge difference in salary.  This is my initial transition from idealistic to realistic.  I expected that after graduating college and passing the CPA Board exam, I would be able to pay back my family, but Whoop! the salary of entry level licensed accountant was not even enough for the purchase of office attire and finance my personal sustenance.  Although I wanted to acquire at least two years work experience in the audit, I decided to join the government for higher pay.  In addition, I thought I would be more effective in validating financial statements (as an auditor) if I know the ins and outs of preparing financials (working as Accountant).  In the government agency, I was suspected a spy having been hired by the Office of the Chairman.  They theorized I was planted in the Accounting Department to become the eyes and ears of the Chairman so nobody wanted to get near me.  It took several months before people started to see, accepted and taken me in to their circle having seen my genuine character.  My supervisor who doubted me became one of my good mentors that I consider him my 2nd father.  Two years after, I had to transfer to another government agency which would become the Company I would like to stay until retirement.  In this Company I have realized several things learned and developed.  Having been raised in the province, we were not used to bragging of our talents and capabilities.  However, I have seen numerous personalities who are good at packaging themselves without nothing to actually offer.   So I learned that for people to move up, it is ok to present his accomplishments, talents and capabilities, not to brag but to show that you have confidence in yourself, and to gain trust from others.  If I am not convince and confident with my capabilities, nobody else could entrust assignments, goals to me.   
Internal Values
With the influence of family, school and work experiences I have been taught of numerous values which I defended and based my stand on any issue, action or decision required from me.  As I move from home to school to the work environment, these values changed from what was imposed on me to what I truly believe based on my own understanding.  From those values, I picked up and adopted those that I validated to be correct and dropped those that I find irrational based on new information or on my own comprehension.
In line with my work I have come to value integrity, transparency, reliability and credibility.  Misrepresentation is a big "No" for me so I have to constantly assess sincerity of people, authenticity of documents and processes.  If I receive documents or test processes from a person of known integrity (which I occasionally test) I place the same faith to whatever document, story or process she would present, the same level of trust I have in him.  My value on my reliability and credibility is never compromised just to please my boss, our President, or anybody.
On personal level, I value my family, and lately put high regard on relationship with other people.  I have come to realize that in the end, when you part ways with people, they will not remember the awards, accomplishments and goals you achieve.  What will be left in their memory is how you treated them as a friend, subordinate or superior.  So from someone who had been an achiever academically, I have consciously tried to build strong relationship with people.  Last but not the least, I value my faith in God.  In intersections where I could not decide which path or decision to choose, I count on my God to bless me to identify the path to do his will.    
Strengths
One of my strengths is the ability to balance things out, to foresee the effect of one action by one party to another party, or to other units concerned.  In my organization, this is frequently neglected by the different operating units, each is only looking for the effect and consequences to their own unit or to their function.  They would not care if others will be at risk especially if it would mean extending beyond what is called by their positions.  On a personal level, this has been my strength having to think out the consequences of my choice beyond a certain period, the people immediately affected or certain horizon.  This has made me come up with a decision that I would not regret after a period of time.  Other most notable strengths based on my evaluation of self are as follows:    
1.      Competent - I have earned the respect and loyalty of my colleagues in the Company, first and foremost, because of my being highly competent in my field and in my position.  A leader must know the demands, requirements and the way to achieve a goal for him to be able to direct and influence people to achieve that goal.  Other people (or members of the team) tend to be more engaged if they see they are assigned tasks the leader knows or willing to do himself.
2.      Credible - The practice of my profession, as a Certified Public Accountant, requires the highest level of integrity.  My practice of ensuring reports and representations are adequate and accurate has been clearly demonstrated and inculcated to all people working under me. 
3.      Innovative - I live by the motto "Do things BIG (great), or don't do it at all".  When I am given a task, I explore the best it can be done.
Weaknesses
Two of the weaknesses that put me into difficult situations in achieving my goal are as follows:
1.      Time-consuming - Due to my desire to complete tasks in a grand manner, allotting a substantial amount of time in planning, executing and delivering results, in some instances I spend more time than allowed or set by authorities.  I always consider all options to come up with the best idea, thus sometimes it's taking me more time to deliver a given task compared with others.
2.      Transparent - My facial expression clearly depicts my emotions.  During discussions, debates or receipts of reports, I was told my facial expressions easily reflect my feelings of disappointment, objection, etc. though in some cases I hope it won't to maintain healthy working relationship with colleagues and subordinates.
 How do environment and internal factors affect my decisions
It was helpful to have identified my values and principles.  By knowing this at the onset, I am well guided in my decisions.  The external factors, technical skills and knowledge accumulated from experiences and from the influence of people I met, equipped me the technical know-how to calculate the best decision and foresee the consequences of the same.  My personal values directs me to make the proper decisions based on what matters most to avoid any regrets.         
  
Future Challenges
The good influences, and the built up internal strength contributed by many people in my life and by experiences and my own personal learning, will be put into waste if they are not utilize for a good purpose.  In this regard, I have planned to engage in the following:
     1.      Continue learning – Before taking MBA, I have several options to advance my learning to a new level.  After my MBA, I will work on my CFA or CMA certification.  This certification will make me at par with other certified accountants not only in the Philippines but in the Asean and global arena.  This would be useful specially in view of the Asean integration. 
      2.      I will continue and start to do volunteer work on community outreach programs to be able to achieve a fulfilling life that is not only centered on uplifting my own and my family's life, but the life of others who are in need.
      3.      As I strive to develop my knowledge on technical information, I will also strive to maintain evaluating myself.  I will continue knowing myself to keep developing my strengths and continue to find ways to overcome my weaknesses;
What is the new learning?
The development of a leader is a long process, I fully understand it is initially shaped by the immediate family who imposed the values that guided my actions.  Then my exposure in the school, with new people and new learnings initiated a change in these values.  The values were subjected to changes based on my own appreciation of data and information.  It was after school, that these values and principles got tested in the work environment. 
What is the relation to what I already know?
For one to grow as a leader, one must be open to changes because what we believe to be true at one point of our life may not be true in another period, if given new information and insights.  So we must strive to continually develop and learning from external sources but to keep aware of our internal strengths and weakness and most specially to stay grounded based on our values so that we do not easily persuaded unless it is right to do so.
What have I done, am doing, will be doing for this topic?
As mentioned in my future plans, I have and will constantly seek to improve by continuously scanning my environment, to be equipped with proper knowledge and skills to make appropriate decisions that critically affecting not only my life but the life of others.  In the same way, I shall keep on track of my personal attributes, ensure my personal values are not compromised because it is by staying and being true to my principles, being in full control of myself, that I be able to lead others and for others to put their faith in me.  
Regards,
Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment