Friday, October 30, 2015

MM Leadership Reflection Paper Internal and External Factors that Shaped Me by Leader Maricon P. Bangayan

Reflection Paper 2
Dear Prof. Jorge
Submitting my Reflection Paper 2

There are factors that affect the way we think, the decisions that we made and how we handle situations that we are facing.  I am appreciative that I will be able to look into myself and gather my thoughts what brings about how I become the person I am now.  Knowing my values, strengths and weaknesses will definitely help me to be a good leader.

EXTERNAL FACTORS
MY FAMILY
I grew up in a poor family but my parents value the importance of education.  My father who is a high school graduate often told us that he dreamt of studying in a university in Manila and become a lawyer or an engineer.  But because of financial difficulties, he was not able to go to college.  My aunts bragged that my father is intelligent, that during his elementary and high school days he was a persistent academic awardee.  After he graduated high school, his godfather offered to help him with his studies.  Unfortunately, when he reached Manila, my father opted to work instead of studying to support his family at the province.  In my younger years, Papa is my tutor.  He checked my homework, projects and quizzes.  Papa is a strict father.  I remembered that we should be at bed by 8:00pm or else he will scold us.  He is very particular with our grade.  We should not have a grade of below 80%.  This personality of my father does not discourage me but rather shaped me to be a good student.  Though, I am not an awardee, I graduated with no failing grades.  Papa told me that we should study hard because we will not be able to be a manager or supervisor if we did not finish studies.  He told me that year of experience is not sufficient to be a part of the top level management.  I admire the dedication and determination of my father.    
My mother is a self-supporting student during her high school years and vocational course term.  She also left her hometown to try her luck in Manila.  My mom is determined to finish her studies because she wants to give her mother and siblings a better life.  During my younger years, she always told me to do what I want.  Do not be influenced by other people.  Listen to the voice within you and do what you want.  My mom is very supportive.  I did not hear any negative opinion from her.  She is always the type of mom who is "you can do it".  With this, I did not worry to commit mistakes and tell her what I did.  I did not keep any secrets from her.  Because I know she will always be there to understand and guide me.
My two siblings are also a big part of my life.  They are always there through my ups and down.  They always extend a helping hand in times of need.  Because of my siblings, I did not have a heavy heart facing any problem.  Because of them I became a positive person.  I look at the bright side of the story.  I was able to accept any difficulties as a challenge that will help me a better person.   My siblings taught me a lot – education, financial, and emotional aspects of life.
My husband who is my mentor, my friend, my critic, my lawyer, etc rolled into one.  He has always a positive opinion to balance what I am feeling especially if I am emotionally affected.  He is always there to support me and did not let my hand go during times of trials.  Because of my husband, I became a more objective type of person.  I weigh things before I make a comment.  Because of him, I consider the objectivity or validity of issues.  I became a more open-minded type of person.



ENVIRONMENT
            During my childhood days, I did not have a Barbie doll to play with.  I did not have fancy and expensive toys to share with my playmates.  But I enjoyed my childhood days.  I enjoyed playing under the sun or rain, and running with playmates.  These experiences did not give an impression that life is unfair.  My mom lets me work during summer for the reason that I can buy the things that I want.  Mom told me that we must focus on our daily needs instead of our wants.  These experiences help me to strive better and to dream big.  I told myself that I will always share the blessings that I will receive.  I have experienced sad moments in life but I welcome everything with arms wide open because these experiences will help me a better person.  I consider all of my experiences as a learning tool that will be useful to my decisions and undertakings. 

SCHOOL
I am blessed that I was sent to private school by my parents.  The values taught from my elementary to my college days were very helpful on my attitude in life.  Because of the teachings and learning from the university, I was able to sympathize and empathize with other people.
Being an MBA student, I appreciate all the knowledge that I am acquiring from every sessions.  Through this learning, I was able to implement or include significant information in my profession and also on my personal point of view.  I was able to understand additional facts or data that will help the company as well as the clients of the company.   

WORK EXPERIENCE
            I have been working for 17 years and my work experience molded me on how I perform my tasks as an employee.  There is always a good and bad leadership in the company.  On my personal professional experience, I have encountered colleagues that will try to pull you down because of so many reasons.  It was really hard to work in this kind of environment.  I felt that I am not happy with what I am doing and my professional growth stops.  I decided to resign but still I am grateful to my previous company.  I did not burn any bridges with my previous company.  All the experiences I had with them helped me to do my best.  I aim high professionally and personally that is why I am pursuing my Master's Degree.
            I am now in a different industry and I am gaining knowledge about this new environment.  It is tough to start all over again but then, I think I have to do this adjustment to be an efficient employee.  With my new job, I am assessing myself, knowing my strengths and weaknesses and trying to overcome my weaknesses and develop my strengths.

INTERNAL
VALUES
Values help me in my making decision and how I want to live my life and also how to achieve the things I want.  The values I learned from my family helps me a lot in my decisions in life.  My parents taught me to be hardworking and not to be materialistic.  They always tell me that I should not get envy with what my classmates has.  I also taught the same thing to my children, to be contented and enjoy the things that they have.  I have also learned not to be selfish.  I share not only material things but also ideas, learning and happiness I am experiencing.  I want others to enjoy also the happy things I am enjoying.  The values I learned give me directions, opinions, and decisions that makes me the person I am now.

STRENGTHS
One of my strengths is being helpful to other people.  I am also generous and going out of their way for others. Being empathetic is also my strength.  I am glad that I was able to take the Enneagram Test because it really confirms my personality.  In making a decision, I always consider what will be beneficial or best for the others before considering myself.  If the decision will be acceptable by the majority, I will accept the decision whole-heartedly.  I always lend a helping hand to others and be of service to them. 

WEAKNESS
Sometimes I make decisions out of emotions.  I acknowledged that I am a sensitive person and sometimes I immediately jump into conclusion without analyzing the whole issue.  But as I aged, I am learning to decide objectively.  One of my weaknesses is that I am very concerned with what others tell me that is why I make decisions that will always be beneficial for them.  I am admitting that I have my own set of weaknesses, but still I am willing to overcome it to have a good decision.

HOW DO THESE FACTORS PREPARE ME FOR MY FUTURE CHALLENGES

            The internal and external factors are important in developing oneself.  As long as I have my family with me there are no obstacles that I can't do.  I know that life will not be a bed of roses and I may encounter trials but with the guidance from above and love of my family, I can surpass all of them.  Pursuing a Master's Degree will help me with professional challenges in the future.  As long as I am equipped with the wisdom and learning that I earned from MBA, I can fulfill the tasks assigned to me.  Appreciating the things available and be contented with what I have will help me grow as a person.  For my work, I will be grateful for the ideas and issues that will come my way.  These will be helpful to develop my leadership skills because I will be able to know myself.  Values that I've learned since I was a kid will always be my guiding principles in life.  I will have my own conviction and do things based on what I know that is right and I can stand for it.  Strength and weaknesses should always be assessed or analyzed because knowing these will help me be aware of myself and thus be a good leader in the future.

WHAT IS THE NEW LEARNING?  WHAT IS THE RELATION IN WHAT I ALREADY KNOW?  WHAT HAVE I DONE, AM DOING, WILL BE DOING FOR THIS TOPIC?

            In this reflection paper, I have learned that family, environment, school, work experience, values, strengths and weaknesses affects or has an impact on one's decision or future plans.  That a leader must have a good foundation of the internal and external factors so he can execute leadership.
            Absence of one factor can have an effect on the leadership style of an individual.  An individual with a deep support of these factors will be an admirable leader because of the depth of his philosophy in life,
            This reflection paper will help me be a good leader.  Because I will be able to assess and analyze the factors that affects my life, decision and attitude.  I will be able to correct or improve the aspects that needs to be addresses.  This paper help me to hear the voice within me and bring out my authentic self.


Thank you Prof.

Leader Maricon P. Bangayan
MM Leadership Management
           

No comments:

Post a Comment