Friday, October 16, 2015

MM Movie Synopsis, JCampbell Monomyth and My Life Story analysis by Leader Maricon P. Bangayan

Dear Prof. Jorge,

Submitting my paper on:
Joseph Campbell's The Hero has a Thousand Faces,
Movie My Bestfriend's Wedding 1997 Film, 
and My Life Story
Leader Maricon P. Bangayan

SYNOPSIS (My Bestfriend's Wedding):

Childhood friends Julianne Potter (Julia Roberts) and Michael O'Neal (Dermot Mulroney) had a deal to marry each other if they were still single by age 28.  Now, four days before her 28th birthday, O'Neil announces that he's marrying a gorgoeus 20-year-old named Kimberly (Cameron Diaz).  Suddenly realizing that she's actually in love with him, Julianne vows to stop the wedding at all costs.  However, when she is appointed maid of honor, things get even more complex.


The Ordinary World
Julianne Potter and Michael O'Neal are long time friend.  In college, the two amde an agreement that if neither of them were married by the time they turned 28, they would marry each other.

The Call to Adventure
Three (3) weeks before the 28th birthday of Julianne, Michael tells her that in four days he will marry Kimmy Wallace, a 20-year old student from a wealthy family.  Julianne realizes that she is on love with Michael and intent on sabotaging the wedding.  Kimmy asks Julianne to be the maid of honor.



Refusal of the Call
Julianne pretended to be a dutiful maid of honor, while secretly scheming ways to prevent the wedding from happening – will the schemes work?  What should I do if the schemes did not work?  If the tactics fail, will she tell Michael that she is in love with him.

Meeting with the Mentor
Julianne's real soul mate, her true best friend is George Downes, her patient, saintly editor.

Crossing the threshold
George and Julianne is really meant to be with, except that George is gay.  George and Julianne have an ease, familiarity  and compatibility that makes them sizzle.  George told Julianne to do the obvious – to tell Michael directly that she is in love with him. 

Test, allies and enemies
Michael gets Julianne alone and tells her that it'll be the last time they ever get to be alone.  He expresses some skepticism in marrying kimmy, explaining to Julianne that he and Kimmy don't share common interests, not like the two of them.  Michael discreetly gives Julianne the invitation to tell him she's in love with him but she lets the moment "pass her by".

Approach
Julianne's unauthorized use of Kimmy's father's computer causes further problems for Michael and Kimmy, to the point where they are on the verge of calling off the wedding.

The Ordeal
Julianne tries to sabotage the situation further; Michael and Kimmy are not speaking to each other and they communicate through Julianne.  Julianne is manipulating them into breaking up for good.  In spite of this, Michael and Kimmy decide they do love each other and want to get married after all.  Julianne finally confessed her love to Michael.  She asks him to marry her and passionately kisses him.  Kimmy witnesses this and runs off but Michael chases her.

The Reward
Julianne pursues Michael but finally realizes that Michael loves Kimmy.  Julianne finds Michael at a station, where he is looking for Kimmy.  Julianne confesses all to him.  Despite his anger at her deception, Michael forgives Julianne.

The Road Back
Julianne helps in finding Kimmy.  She then tracked down Kimmy in the bathroom.  Kimmy is furious with Julianne.  Julianne apologizes and explains to Kimmy that she kissed Michael unexpectedly but didn't kiss her back because he was in love with Kimmy. 

The Resurrection
Julianne declares that Kimmy has won, and that she accepts Michael's decision.  Kimmy and Julianne reconcile with each other.  Julianne tells Michael that he and Kimmy can use their "special song" until they find one their own.

Return with the elixir
Julianne wishes them well.  Julianne and Michael share their goodbyes, both of them finally moving on with their lives.  Julianne is surprised by George showing at the wedding reception.

Reference: Google Search

My Life Story

The Ordinary World
I have been working since I finished my bachelor's degree in March 1999.  I was employed as an Accounting Staff of a family owned private hospital and eventually appointed as Administrative Officer in 2004.  When I started working, monetary compensation is the least of my priority.  For as long as I love what I am doing and contributing enough to the expenses of my family, for me those are enough.  

The Call to Adventure
To resign or not to resign?  It was last year, 2014, when I am thinking of resigning, because of career development, professional advancement and greener pasture  This is a big challenge for me since I have a family of my own and financial stability is a major factor so being unemployed is a risk for me.

Refusal of the Call
Resigning is not so easy for me.  I am considering so many factors like turnover of my work since I am handling a key position in the company, will I be able to got a new job because of age, professional experience since I have only one employer since I graduated.  Where to work, what company, what position, will I settle for any position, financial concerns  - are some of the matters that worries me.

Meeting with the Mentor
One time in August 2014, my brother, my sister and I had a talk regarding my dilemma – of resigning.  We discussed what are the consequences if I resign.  My siblings were very supportive, they knew what are the difficulties I am encountering with my position at the company.  As they say, great power comes great responsibility.  And I reached the point that I am so stressed and unhappy with my work because of people who are trying to pull you down.  I felt that staying with the company is not healthy anymore. 
My husband has also supported me.  He gave me advices to help me decide.  He assured me that everything will fall into its proper place at the right time.  He assured me that he will guide me and support me for all the new undertakings that I will face.    

Crossing the threshold
I then gather my thoughts and listen to the voice within – what I what to do and why I want to do what I want.  November 18, 2014, I decided to resign from my work of over 15 years, my first job, from the company that has been may second home.  It was really hard to submit the resignation letter because I know that a big question will cross the mind of my boss.  As I remember, I submitted my resignation letter at 5:00pm.  It was sad but also relieving.  Sad because I will be leaving the friends that I gain but relieving because I know I will be able to look for myself and be the best that I can be.

Test, allies and enemies
January of this year, I started a new chapter of my career life, a stage that I must welcome unreservedly. The first quarter of last year was the lowest point of my life.  I became so worried financially and professionally.  There is always a question in my mind of what will I do now.  What if I didn't get a job?  I felt so helpless that time and also contemplating if resigning is the right thing to do.  Thinking that - I should have not resigned but instead face my problems at work and continue to be with people that gives me anxiety.

Approach
My family was there to support me all the way.  I took Certificate of Professional Teaching last July – October 2014 and my family supported me in my self-review, the LET exam was scheduled March 2014.  With the support of my family and guidance from above, I have successfully passed this transition.      

The Ordeal
During the time that I am not working, I live my life as the days go by.  I did not hold back from the past since I can't do anything about it anymore.  I focused on what I should do.  I enjoyed my time with my kids, be with them and spend quality time with them.  Being grateful to my mentors - my brother, my sister, my mom and my husband.  Acceptance and patience are my strength during those days.  I have to be patient and accept all the things that will cross my way, may it be good or bad things.

The Reward
May 2015 – the happiest month.  I can now see a clear path for my career and my personal goals.  May 14, I received a formal letter from the school that I was accepted to the Middle Manager Program.  On May 23, I passed the Licensure Examination for Teachers; this is an accomplishment for me since this will help me pursue a career path as an educator if given a chance.  On May 28, I got employed at Alternative Learning Resource School as an HR Officer. 

The Road Back
With my new career as Teacher and HR Officer, I may now continue my professional career and share my learnings and experiences I had from my previous employment.  Having all these milestones in a month, I believe that I am truly blessed and fortunate.  Also I believe that this is only a start of my long journey.  I will be having a lot of opportunities and endeavors to look forward to that will guide me to become a strong and a well-mannered individual.

The Resurrection
Being a new employee, it is back to basic.  I have to cope with new challenges, new boss, new co-worker, new environment, new approach and new culture - considerations to be dealt with.  As to my Masteral classes, time is of the essence – doing assignments, reports, researches, going home.  My time with my kids has been also affected so, I make sure that I am always giving them quality time though few minutes/hours in a day.  I must also be a wife and a partner to my husband.  Time is Gold as they say.    

Return with the elixir
I am now comfortable with my new job.  My boss is very nice.  She even adjusted my time for my masteral classes.  I am appreciating my Masteral courses, they are very informative and helpful with my career and developing my authentic self.  This is my realization - I will welcome all the challenges, failures, success and everything that comes with it unconditionally.  I will always put a smile on my face whatever happens in my life.  Be the best that I can be without stepping on others, believe in myself and be grateful to all the things I am receiving and will be receiving.

My New Learning

With this assignment, I was able to realize that life is a series of ups and downs.  It is how I will be able to face the struggles and enjoy the joys of life.  It is important to have a support system most especially your family.  The movie and my life story are two both different stories, no connection nor similarities at all.  But what is common, is that the realization, that acceptance and facing the consequences of your actions and decisions.  Learning to be humble and sorry for the wrong doings is essential in life.  

What is the relation to what I already know? / What I will be doing for this topic?

I will be always grateful to God for the gift of life and to those people who are always there to help me.  Continue to count my blessing, no big or small.  Be an inspiration to others so these people will have a better view in life and they themsleves will be an inspiration to others also.  I will always consider my experiences as a learning tool to make me strong and face every single problem.

This assignment is a realization for me.  Taking aside that "My Bestfriend's Wedding" is a romantic comedy, I appreciated the parts of the story because I can associate it with life.  As an individual, are we going to do all what it takes just to achieve what we want in life?  Are we going to have a fair fight?  Are we going to consider the feelings of other people?  If an opportunity knocks, will we grab it right away or weigh things before accepting it?  If we commit mistakes, are we ready to say sorry and accept that we are at fault and take the consequences of our action?  If we make decisions that does not favor us, are we ready to share or give our own knowledge and talent to other people to help them.  Are we ready to be the supporting actor of the best actor?   
  
Also, in this assignment I understand that we all have our own movie/story to tell.  We have different tales that makes us what we are now right now.  That because of these stories/tales we got to know our authentic self and where we want to be and also stand for something that we think is the best for us.


Regards,

Leader Maricon P. Bangayan
MM Leadership Management

No comments:

Post a Comment