Thursday, July 23, 2015

Movie Analysis - Kung Fu Panda my Life Story and Joseph Campbell's Monomyth by Leader Rophelle Ocampo

KUNG FU PANDA

Movie Analysis using Campbell’s’
The stages of the HERO are:

1) THE HERO IS INTRODUCED IN HIS ORDINARY WORLD.
"Legend tells of a legendary warrior whose kung fu skills were the stuff of legend..." A mysterious panda donning a flowing cape and sedge hat walks through the Chinese landscape. Reputed to be a grand master of kung fu, he enters a tavern where he is immediately attacked by the local ruffians. However, they are no match for his skill and even the legendary kung fu masters, the Furious Five, bow down to the panda's skill, requesting to hang out with him and fight alongside him.
Po the giant panda (Jack Black) wakes up from his dream in his room. His goose father, Mr. Ping (James Hong) calls to him from the noodle restaurant below to help serve tables. Po admires his Furious Five action figures before going downstairs. An extreme fan of Kung Fu, Po dreams of one day becoming a master worthy of fighting alongside the Five but his girth and clumsiness makes this dream simply a dream and his kung fu talents reside only within his knowledge of moves and artifacts. He is hesitant to express his desires to his dad who is more interested in running his restaurant and advertising his famous 'secret ingredient soup'.



Master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman), a red panda who resides at the Jade Palace temple, practices kung fu in the courtyard with his students, the Furious Five; Tigress (Angelina Jolie), Crane (David Cross), Monkey (Jackie Chan), Viper (Lucy Liu), and Mantis (Seth Rogen), before he is summoned to see tortoise Grand Master Oogway (Randall Duk Kim). Fearing something is wrong, Shifu rushes to find him meditating in the grand hall. Oogway doesn't deny bad news but calmly tells Shifu he's predicted that the snow leopard warrior Tai Lung (Ian McShane) will escape prison and return to the Valley of Peace to wreak destruction once again. Intent on never letting this happen, Shifu sends his goose messenger, Zeng (Dan Fogler), to fly to Chor-Gom Prison to ensure that security is increased. Oogway then proclaims that it is time to choose the Dragon Warrior; a master of great skill who will be granted the secrets of the universe by reading the Dragon Scroll, kept delicately out of reach on the temple ceiling. Assuming that one of the Furious Five will be chosen, Shifu prepares a competition to determine which one will qualify.

Life Story:

I am a graduate of Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Major in Marketing at the Angeles University Foundation. It has been always my dream and career path ambition to be an Entrepreneur. Financial situation hinders me to that dream. My Parents’ upbringing to me is to find a stable job when I graduate, be in the corporate world, climb the corporate ladder and be successful.   

2) THE CALL TO ADVENTURE.

The hero is presented with a problem, challenge, or adventure.

Flyers for the competition are spread throughout town and the villagers flock to the temple. Excited to have the opportunity to see his idols in person, Po follows with his noodle cart in tow but struggles on the long staircase to the temple. He is the last to arrive at the gates and finds that they've shut him out. In a desperate bid to see the competition before it's over, Po fashions fireworks to his cart and blasts himself high into the air, only to come crashing down in the arena just as Oogway is preparing to choose out of the Five. Po opens his eyes to see Oogway's finger pointed right at him and is shocked, along with everyone else, when he is proclaimed to be the Dragon Warrior. Oogway's decision is final, despite Shifu's protests, and Po is carried (unsuccessfully) into the temple leaving Tigress greatly disappointed since it seemed Oogway would have chosen her if Po hadn't arrived.

Inside the temple, Po examines, with awe, the many weaponry and valuable artifacts before Shifu approaches him and berates him for his obvious lack of skill. He deflates Po's excitement by grabbing his finger in what Po recognizes as the Wuxi Finger Hold, reputed to be extremely powerful. Shifu promises that Po will regret ever being chosen before taking him to the Fives training room where Po is promptly put to the test. Nervous, but excited to try some kung fu moves, Po accepts the challenge.

Life Story:

After college, I went job hunting. I applied in many companies of my preference. I planned to have a job in Sales because I believe that in that line of work I will be able to save faster and have my own business the soonest. I find it hard looking for a Job in Pampanga because I feel that in the province there is a lot of “Politics” and if you do not have the “Connections” you will not be able to find a job that is suited for you. I decided to try mu luck in the Makati Business District since my dad and brother are also working here. I was able to get a job immediately considering the competition and I graduated in the province. I worked as a Sales Officer in an insurance company as my first job.

3) THE HERO IS RELUCTANT AT FIRST.

Often at this point, the hero balks at the threshold of adventure. After all, he or she is facing the greatest of all fears -- fear of the unknown.

Po overhears the Five poke fun at his incompetence. He has an awkward conversation with Crane, opening up to his own doubts of being the Dragon Warrior. Tigress assures his doubts, calling him a disgrace to kung fu and tells him that, if he is wise, he will leave by morning. Disheartened, Po retreats to a secluded spot.

Life Story:

The nature of the job is commissioned based. And it is very risky on my part because there is no security of salary, no benefits. My expenses would be high because I will be living alone, renting, paying bills, food etc. and it is my first time to go out of my comfort zone. For the past 20 years I am living with my Parents.

4) THE HERO IS ENCOURAGED BY THE WISE OLD MAN OR WOMAN.

The mentor which can be a woman or an old man can only go so far with the hero. Eventually the hero must face the unknown by himself. Sometimes the wise old man is required to give the hero a swift kick in the pants to get the adventure going.

Oogway finds him sitting beneath the Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom with peaches stuffed into his mouth. Sensing his distress, and noting that he finds comfort in food, Oogway tells Po that he worries too much about what was or what could be. He should instead focus on the present moment rather than doubting himself.

Life Story:

My mother saw the dilemma I was going into. She talked to me seriously, guided me well in the new journey that I am about to faced and assured me of their 100% support. With that, I have decided to accept the job. 

5) THE HERO PASSES THE FIRST THRESHOLD.

He fully enters the special world of his story for the first time. This is the moment at which the story takes off and the adventure gets going. The hero is now committed to his journey... and there's no turning back.

Renewed with a sense of determination, Po rises the next morning before anyone else and announces that he will stay to train. He spars with each of the Furious Five, receiving swift beatings despite his undeterred enthusiasm. Frustrated by Po's perseverance, Shifu is at a loss. However, the Five become impressed by Po's fortitude and eventually start to warm up to him, with the exception of Tigress.

Life Story:

I was very determined and excited of the job. I was a little bit nervous but my aggressiveness is more that fear. I was very focus that the sacrifice and hard work that I will be doing will pay off.


6) THE HERO ENCOUNTERS TESTS AND HELPERS.

The hero is forced to make allies and enemies in the special world, and to pass certain tests and challenges that are part of his training.

Tai Lung was able to escape from the prison and warned instructed Zeng to announce to Shifu that the real Dragon warriano is coming home. Shifu is met by a disheveled Zeng who relays the news. Panicked, Shifu finds Oogway beside the Sacred Peach Tree and tells him that Tai Lung is on his way. Oogway is shocked, but assures Shifu that, if he finds faith in the panda and trains him, Tai Lung will be defeated and Shifu will finally find inner peace. He then gives Shifu his wooden staff and claims that his time has come. Overhearing this from the temple roof, Tigress leaves the Jade Palace and runs out to the countryside, soon followed by the rest of the Five, to meet Tai Lung head on. They find him crossing the Thread of Hope, a series of bridges through the mountains. They attempt to stop him on the last bridge. After an epic battle, the Five gain the upper hand and appear to have defeated Tai Lung, tying him to the remains of the severed bridge and sending him into the mist below. However, Tai Lung's skills prove superior, and he surprises them by flinging himself onto the cliff and overpowering them with a chi block.


They return to the temple as Crane flies in, carrying the rest of the Five, who have been paralyzed by Tai Lung's attacks. Shifu rejuvenates them but Po is discouraged by the fact that five masters could not overpower Tai Lung; how could he? Shifu assures him that he will have what no one else has; the Dragon Scroll. Shifu retrieves it for Po and instructs him to read it, but Po exclaims in surprise to find nothing but a blank, reflective glaze on the scroll. Terribly disappointed, Shifu relents to have the Five evacuate the village while he remains at the temple to hold Tai Lung off. The Five reluctantly agree and Po returns to his father who is packing up the noodle shop.

Life Story:

My first few months in the company were not as smooth as I thought. We had trainings and all but during the real battle on the field, I was somehow lost and having a hard getting a sale. I’m beginning to doubts on my capabilities or maybe I’m still in the culture shock since I’m from the province and still not being able to adjust.

My morale was low and so is my self-esteemed. I began borrowing from my brother and some friends in order for me to survive and cover my expenses.  I did not even tell the problem I am facing to my parents since I don’t want them to feel worry about me.


7) THE HERO REACHES THE INNERMOST CAVE

The hero comes at last to a dangerous place, often deep underground, where the object of his quest is hidden.
It is the hero entering the headquarters of his nemesis; and sometimes it's just the hero going into his or her own dream world to confront his or hers worst fears... and overcome them.

Ping tries to console Po, but Po admits that he’s not sure of who he is and can't believe he's Ping's son. Taken aback, Ping whispers to Po something he should have told him long ago; the secret ingredient to his famous secret ingredient soup. The secret is... nothing. He explains that something becomes special if people truly believe that it is. Po opens the scroll to see his reflection on its glazed surface and realizes the secret before turning back to the temple.

Life Story: I was able to overcome that financial stress. All I need is that one spark to release the fire in me. After that first sale, I was able to have another and another. I feel like I’m on the momentum. I was able to pay my debts and was able to recover. But another problem and far more worst would be my Supervisor. I feel he does not like me or jealous of me, I don’t know. He is intimidated or maybe threatens by me I think but I cannot even find the reason for him to be. He even makes stories about me and makes issues just to destroy me.

8) THE HERO ENDURES THE SUPREME ORDEAL.
This is the moment at which the hero touches bottom. He faces the possibility of death, brought to the brink in a fight with a mythical beast.
This is a critical moment in any story, an ordeal in which the hero appears to die and is born again. It's a major source of the magic of the hero myth. What happens is that the audience has been led to identify with the hero. We are encouraged to experience the brink-of- -death feeling with the hero. We are temporarily depressed, and then we are revived by the hero's return from death.
You're never more alive than when you think you're going to die.

Shifu waits at the top of the steps until Tai Lung arrives. Refusing to give his old student the scroll, Shifu battles Tai Lung who all too easily defeats his master. Tai Lung demands his birthright to have the scroll and blames Shifu for planting dreams in his head of what he thought was his destiny. He yells at Shifu to tell him how proud he is and Shifu admits that he was proud from the first moment, but it was his pride that blinded him from seeing what Tai Lung was becoming. Not looking for apologies, Tai Lung demands only the scroll. He is stopped from dealing a deadly blow to Shifu by Po, who appears, exhausted, at the doorway of the temple. Baffled by the Dragon Warrior's pudgy exterior, Tai Lung nonetheless attacks Po when he reveals the Dragon Scroll in hand. Their battle takes them into the village, each one vying for possession of the scroll. At one point, Po imagines the scroll as a bowl of dumplings to encourage him to climb a high precipice to get it, but Tai Lung is convinced that the scroll is giving him power.

Life Story:

There was this one time wherein he did it again and I don’t know what came into me that I gave him his own medicine but I made sure that I was not the one who started the fight. I was so angry that even in front of his client I was not able to keep myself and wanted to punch him in the face. I was so mad that all I think of is getting even. I was able to get physical with him but we were stopped immediately by our colleagues.

9) THE HERO SIEZES THE SWORD.

Using ingenuity and his rebounding stomach, Po manages to render Tai Lung helpless. Tai Lung spews out a slur of insults before Po takes his finger in the Wuxi Finger Hold. Tai Lung calls Pos bluff and Po admits that Shifu never taught him the move - he figured it out on his own. With a triumphant "Skadoosh!", Po flexes his pinky, resulting in a magnificent wave of raw energy that resonates throughout the valley and is felt by the Five leading the refugees into the hills. Having presumably killed Tai Lung, Po is cheered on by the returning villagers.

Life Story:

It’s somehow good that it happened because from that incident we were able to be given the chance to fix his issues with me. He admitted that he was really intimidated and envy of me.

10) THE ROAD BACK.
The hero's not out of the woods yet. Some of the best chase scenes come at this point, as the hero is pursued by the vengeful forces from whom he has stolen the elixir or the treasure.

Life Story:

After the incident, a company called me and was invited for job at theirs. Thinking it was a sign, I have accommodated the invite. 

11) RESURRECTION.
The hero emerges from the special world, transformed by his experience. There is often a replay here of the mock death-and-rebirth of stage 8, as the hero once again faces death and survives. Each ordeal wins him new command over the Force. He is transformed into a new being by his experience.

Life Story:

I was able to get the job and left the insurance company. But before I left, I made sure that all is well with my Supervisor. We have accepted each other’s apology.

12) RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR.
The hero comes back to his ordinary world, but his adventure would be meaningless unless he brought back the elixir, treasure, or some lesson from the special world. Sometimes it's just knowledge or experience, but unless he comes back with the elixir or some boon to mankind, he's doomed to repeat the adventure until he does. Sometimes the boon is treasure won on the quest, or love, or just the knowledge that the special world exists and can be survived. Sometimes it's just coming home with a good story to tell.

Tigress and the rest of the Five bow down to Po, calling him master, before Po runs back to the temple to check on Shifu. He finds Shifu lying still, but alive, on the floor of the temple and tells him he defeated Tai Lung. Shifu thanks him and tells Po that he's brought him peace before closing his eyes. Po calls out to him and Shifu reprimands him, saying that he's merely resting. Po lies down beside him and, after a quiet, meditative moment, asks if he wants to get something to eat. Shifu says, Ok.

They enjoy a meal of dumplings together at the Peach Tree of Heavenly Wisdom, overlooking a new day while a seed that Shifu had previously planted begins to bloom.

Rising that morning, Shifu finds Po in the temple kitchen, surrounded by cabinets with perfect hole punches in the doors and boards broken clean in two. Shifu entertains an idea and tells Po where Monkey keeps his cookies before hiding behind the doorway. He reenters and sees Po performing a perfect split near the ceiling, chowing down on the cookies. Realizing Po's secret, Shifu takes him high into the Wu Dan Mountains to the Pool of Sacred Tears where Oogway founded the origins of kung fu. Shifu proclaims to be Po's master and begins his rigorous training, using food as a reward. Po's unique training proves to be successful and he grows stronger and more coordinated.

Life Story:

I treated the experience that has happened as a learning experience and moved on. I have learned something and it will add up to the things that will teach us on how to be more mature.
I still have no regrets because for me it is that insurance company that I have learned of the many skills that made me be who I am now.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441773/synopsis


Rophele Louie Ocampo 3
AGSB – Clark
Leadership







No comments:

Post a Comment