Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Genogram- Stephanie Go

Father's Side

My Grand parents:
  1. Cosme (my Angkong/Lolo): From what I remember, he would always sit in front of their small motorcycle business office. All decisions, such as price, were made by him. He was firm, dominant, and quick-tempered. He would always shout when someone would ask him something. He died due to heart attack in 2000.
  2. Milagros (My amah/Lola): Married at the age of 16. She does not want someone telling her what to do. She is small but terrible. She is around 4'10" or smaller. She and her siblings are almost the same height. Three of her children got the height from her. Thankfully, my father and his sister did not inherit the height from her. But, if she wants to do something, she will do it. She does not back down from an argument.
Their Children:
  1. Rey: My dad. The eldest and tallest among 5 children. He is around 5'8", which according to him is because he tried to sleep early when he was young and drank sarsi with uncooked egg.
  2. Romy: He is the second child. He has one son and one daughter. Both children are studying. Unlike my father, Uncle Romy is very soft spoken and does not take the lead. My father established a branch in San Jose Nueva Ecija years ago, and he just gave it to Uncle Romy as he is not as perseverant as my father. His wife takes in-charge of their business.
  3. Rowena: Middle child, and only girl of the family. She is like my Amah. She is very stubborn and does what she wants. She married a tricycle driver, but with her determination, she was able to establish a motorcycle business, just like my Angkong's, in Nueva Ecija. She has two sons, and she handles their business.
  4. Robert: He is second to the youngest. He and my father are the only ones who married a Filipino-Chinese. But, he is more favored, since he pursued law just what his parents wanted him to take. He is a younger and smaller version of my father. He has the same presence, very dominant, and usually hot-tempered. He has one son. He practices law. Then, he has electronic business and Yamaha Music School in Tarlac City. He is the business manager of the same school where my father is the President.
  5. Ricky: He is the youngest. He wanted to be a physical therapist, but he was not able to finish because his parents forced him to go back and help manage the motorcycle business. He still manages this business, but is not married. But, on this side of the family, he is closest to us. He is very supportive and generous to us. He looks really young. He is easy to get along with. He is normally laughing with everyone else, but seems unhappy inside.


Mother's Side
  1. Ong Bun Tuan (My Lolo): He died months before my mom gave birth to my older sister. He was also a businessman, and had a small grocery store. According to my mom, he was firm and dominant, but unlike my Angkong, he was more calm and would rarely shout. He is tall, which was inherited by all of his children except my mom, who is around 5'2". But, my uncles are all 5'10" above, in contrast to my uncles on the other side.
  2. Chua Siok Tee (My Gwama/Lola): She is very caring, and very attentive to our favorites. This side of the family lives in Manila. But, we used to visit them frequently growing up. She would always cook our favorite food whenever we are in Manila, even now, that she can no longer move much. Most of her children got the warmness and thoughtfulness, which is why; we are closer to her and this side of the family although we are nearer in location with the father's side. Their sons did not graduate since they would rather start working already since growing up was not financially easy for them.
Their Children:
  1. Joseph: He used to have a big business years back. He is already successful when my father is starting with his small agrimachinery business. He has three sons. But, he lost his business when he got addicted with gambling. From what I know, he is currently residing in San Carlos, Pangasinan and can barely move. My mom is financially assisting them, especially my cousins who are still in college.
  2. Ernesto: He acts like the eldest of the family. His stainless business slowed down when the government banned the use of stainless jeepneys, and when local stainless are no longer being demanded. During the time that business was doing well, he was not able to invest his money well. He was not able to buy his own house. Until now, they are renting a three bedroom apartment in Abad Santos. He has two sons and one daughter. Although, he is firm, he is also very gentle and caring to his children, even to us his nieces and nephews. He is very active and fit. But, two years ago, he suffered from heat stroke two years ago. Until now, he is still cannot walk and move much, but he is recovering. My mom financially assists them, since he needs continuous medication.
  3. Susan: My mom. She is the only one based in the Philippines who is still in the business and is still working.
  4. Linda: Among the siblings, she and my mom are the only ones who graduated college. She is not married, and has not been working anymore for around 20 years now since she has to take care of our gwama. She is like our second mom. She always spends time with us whenever we are in Manila. She has stronger personality than my mom. She does things on her own. My mom gives her monthly allowance for her and for my gwama.
  5. Henry: He used to be in the stainless business also. But, when stainless business slowed down, he shut down his business, and stopped working. But, unlike my Uncle Ernesto, he was able to invest him money well. So, even though he stopped working years ago, he still has enough money to build a nice house and his three children are attending good schools. But, around 6 years ago, for their children's future, they migrated to Canada since, according to him, life there is easier and safer for the kids. Our gwama and Auntie Linda currently lives in his house.
  6. Vicente: He used to be the business partner of my Uncle Henry. So, he also stopped working already when they shut down their business. Like my Uncle Henry, he gets to live off his savings despite having no source of income already. He has three children. He has the "I don't care" personality type.
  7. Jerry: He used to be the runner of my others Uncles' businesses. But, he is the more laid back type. We used to play video games with him until he migrated in Canada around 8 years ago. My mom used to give him monthly allowance before he migrated, but he now has a stable job in a chocolate factory in Canada. His personality suits the Canadian type of lifestyle. He is married, but has no children.

My Father:
Reynaldo Go: I got my first name (i.e. Rae) from him. He is dominant, short tempered, but intelligent. His father wanted him to continue their small motorcycle business.  He married my mother in 1986. His father would give him a salary of P1,000 a month even when he was already married and had kids. In 1990, he established his own business with his own efforts, money, and perseverance. His father did not want to give him anything, as he did not support him establishing a new business of his own. He started from nothing. The business initially carried smaller range of agricultural machineries like engines and pumps. This business grew over the years, with products including hand tractors, concrete mixers, and surplus tractors. Then, in 2008, he established another company, which carries the bigger and new machines like brand new tractors, combine harvester, and other related products. This is to provide more necessary and innovative machines for more effective and efficient farming. Currently, he is the Chairman of the Board of Directors of our Church. He is also President of the Board of Directors of a school. He is currently the President of the Go Association in North Luzon Chapter.

My Mother:
Susan: She is 3 years older than my dad, but seems 3 years younger than him physically and personality wise. She is very generous, warm, caring, kind hearted, shy, and submissive. I got most of my character/personality (i.e. generous/kind/calm/shy) from her. Although she does not have a strong personality, she has great inner strength. That no matter how tired she is, physically or emotionally, her presence is always calm and joyful. She is a perfect match to my dominant father. Her leadership style is service. She loves serving people, especially those considered family and church members. She is currently the most well off among the siblings. So, she is financially supporting most of her siblings and our gwama. Moreover, although she rarely talks to customers or suppliers, I am sure that a huge part of the success of our original business is due to her capability of managing its finances. 

My siblings:
  1. Sam: She is the eldest. She inherited the dominant personality of my father. She is very intelligent and loves to read books. She graduated with a degree in Industrial Economics. She started the company that my father established in 2008. Although she is firm, she is a very caring Achi (i.e. Ate). She is very filial and very cautious of her every action as she wants to be a good example to us. She is very independent. She taught us to ride public transportation, especially whenever we are in Manila. She travels alone for business/work/studies. Although, she was really expected to be in the business, when I graduated, she decided to be involved in an NGO that is involved in Christian Missions. She went to Sendai alone for 3 months a year after the tsunami. She was able to meet some people there who were traumatized by the incident. She also went to Tacloban with a team after the typhoon to be of comfort to the people there.
  2. Ralph: He is younger then me, but is always perceived to be my Ahia (i.e. Kuya). This always offends him. But, I recently told him, that I think I should be the one to be offended. Because it may not be because of the physical attributes, but rather because of the business knowledge. But, we actually realized that it's because of his position and personality. He is the front liner, as he heads the Sales Department. While, I normally do not meet with the suppliers or customers, as I am normally based in the office managing the operations and finance. He married his childhood sweetheart last year at 24. He is being trained to be like my father.   
  3. Ransel: The youngest. He was born 7 years after Ralph. He is the smartest. He has always been the representative for Math competitions just like my sister. But, he has achieved more in this area. He even went to China and US for math competition, even with a complacent attitude. He does not like having a hard time. He is currently studying in Ateneo de Manila. Just this year, he switched from Management Engineering to Information Technology Entrepreneurship, since he did not like the two years he spent with a very competitive environment. We are more alike. We initially did not like to be involved in the business, but he started to show interest. Even if he is still studying, he is trying to help us with the inventories and IT related side of the business.

Conclusion:
It is ironic that my family from the father's side who are smaller in height compared to those from my mother's side has more dominant personality and influence, especially in the realm of business. My aunties and uncles on both sides together with my parents both grew up with a simple life. According to my parents, they may not be poor, but they only have enough for their daily needs. As can be seen, those from my father's side are more successful. Everyone has graduated from college and is handling his or her own business. On the other hand, most from my mother's side have not graduated from college and are only financially supported by my mother. Based on my genogram, I could have been successful in business or someone who at early 30's does not want to work anymore and depend on the support of my parents or siblings. I have the genes to be a leader from my father's side. Although, before taking my first leadership role in high school, I used to be very easy go lucky in school just like my uncles from the mother's side. But, I was really developed into a leader as a result of my leadership experiences and decisions in high school and college.
Although genes came from the father's side, my character can be attributed more to my mother's side. They are the more compassionate ones. Although, they are not that well of, they are very generous to share what they know, their time, and whatever they have even if it is not much. As a leader, that is what I want to be. I am thankful that, at present, I have the opportunity to employ people, have the resources to be generous to my family and friends, and have some musical skills to be part of the music ministry in Church. It will be a blessing to have more, but, I hope that even when the time comes that I do not have much, I can still be able to share and give whatever I know and have to others.


Thank you,
Rae Stephanie Go

No comments:

Post a Comment