Thursday, July 23, 2015

Genogram - Leader Engr. Cezar Cortez

My Grandparents (Father's side)
Dionisio Cortez  - Grandfather
Supervisor in a train station of Fort Stotsenburg (now Clark Freeport Zone), educational attainment unknown.

His siblings:
1. Romulo – winemaker
2. Alejandro – cigarette/tobacco maker
3. Hilarion – a chemical engineer with a very strong personality. I think he is the most intelligent among the siblings because of his discovery of secret process of gold plating. Legend among the family mentioned that he became rich because of that "formula" on gold plating. Until his death nobody knows who inherit the secret formula.
4. Baldemoro – manager in Engineering at Fort Stotsenburg. I remember him giving me 5 pesos every Christmas which is a very valuable in the 80's.

Catalina Patawaran – Grandmother
She is a vendor of clothes in the market, educational attainment unknown.

Her siblings:
1.     1.  Nicolasa – "Kubrador" of Jueteng.
2.     2.  Clemente – shoemaker
3.     3.  Rafael - businessman
My father - Ricardo Cortez Sr.



 He was born inside Clark Air force base on November 13, 1928. He is a high school graduate at HAU. Almost killed during the "carpet bombing" of the Japanese Imperial army in Clark during World War II. He spent his whole life working in Clark Airbase under Civil Engineering Service for 28 years. He became an Operations Manager in the late 80's in a grass-cutting business at Camp John Hay. We spent our summers and sometimes Christmas in Baguio. Baguio is one of the cleanest place during those years. Now, I'm hesitant to go to Baguio because of what I've seen happening in that place. Baguio is not the same anymore. My father died on January 18, 1993. He left a legacy of helping others without asking anything in return. Together with my mom; they took care of their nephews and nieces until such time that they can get their own job. We never experienced being with only us (my parents & my siblings) in our house. There will always be relatives in the house that we need to take care.

His Siblings:
1.      1. Genoveva – married with 4 children. She works in JUSMAG-Clark.
2.    2.   Angelina – married with 6 children. She is a full-time housewife.
3.     3.  Rodolfo – died during infancy.
4.     4.  Aurora – married with 4 children. She spent the rest of her life serving the Holy Rosary Parish Church in Angeles City. I admire her dedication to Catholic faith. Her service is unmatched by any church helper. I believed she already have a place in Heaven. And she wants me to be a priest which I politely declined even in my younger years.
5.     5.  Jose – married with 4 children. He is a businessman and my favorite uncle.  

My Grandparents (Mother's side)
Pablo Dalangin - Grandfather    
He is one of the best carpenters during his time. He possessed a very nice penmanship, the best I've ever seen. A good "walis tingting" maker. Died October 29, 1986.

His Siblings
1.      1. Margarita – Housewife. No further information
2.      2. Belang – Housewife. No further information

Maria Tongio – Grandmother
 A lovely half-Filipina/half-Chinese beauty and a certified "Noranians". Tell something bad about Nora Aunor and I assure you "all hell breaks loose". She is a great story teller and a loving grandmother to us. Me and my lola always have a good laugh whenever I asked her about the Japanese imperial army who courted her. Sometimes I cannot study my lessons at night because she just keep on telling a story about her younger years etc…I enjoyed every minute talking to her. Died on February 4, 1989.

Her Sibling
1.      1. Sixta – "mayordoma" of the rich Felicianos clan in Angeles City. Has one daughter (Juaning). A strict mother to her daughter.  Reason why my Aunt did not have any chance to get married and have family.
  
My mother – Luisa T. Dalangin
High school graduate at HFA. Never had a chance to go to College because she got married at the age of 16yrs. old. She is a full-time super mom to seven kids. My mother is my inspiration. She is the reason why I really pushed myself to pass my Board exams and be good in everything I do. I want her to be happy and proud of me always until now. She has a great influence in my life. At age 80, she is the source of this Genogram because I didn't have a chance to meet some of the relatives. She will get angry if I will not visit her during the weekend. That's why Saturday or Sunday are always a "cheat day" no diet because I'm sure she will prepare all my favorite food.

Her Siblings:
1.      1. Carlos – farmer and a loving father/husband. Very religious.
2.     2.  Rodolfo – retired security personnel at Department of Education. My uncle and I will go fishing during the time when some of Angeles city's waters stream are still clean.
3.      3. Emerenciana – Housewife. She is a very good student in her high school years. She is the one who taught me the ABCs.

My siblings:
1.      1. Julieta – owner of small food business in our home. She has a gift in cooking but didn't use it too much to really get rich. Because she sold her food at a very inexpensive price. With 4 kids
2.      2. Ricardo Jr. – works in Angeles Electric Company. He is the only one I can trust in dealing with my Electrical requirements in the office and at home. He is a recipient of innovation award in the said company. With 3 kids. His eldest died because of polio.
3.      3. Nolasco – Civil Engineer residing in California. With 2 kids.
4.      4. Victoria – Sales Manager in a Chemical company. Her husband died with chronic kidney disease.
5.      5. Luisito – works at Desalination company in Kuwait. With 2 kids.
6.      6. Francisco – an accounting graduate working in Pag-ibig Fund. With 3 kids.
7.      7. Cezar – I'm the youngest. Father of fraternal twins and 1 boy. My brothers and sisters considered me as the eldest eventhough  I'm the youngest among the siblings. Because I am always the one deciding on every family occasions, transactions and solver of family problems. It's my first exposure in leadership. I am also their personal technical support for their gadgets and adviser whenever they will buy a new one.
  
CONCLUSION:
Leadership does not run in our blood. We are mostly just a regular and law-abiding citizens of this country. Most of my relatives are deeply religious in their Catholic faith, especially on my father's side. That is why I have a Priest and a Nun cousin. I am more on the Leaders are made and Situational kind. As mentioned from my comparison with the movie Gladiator to my life; I'm still a reluctant leader. A lot of Electronics Engineers are pushing me to handle the top position of Electronics Engineers of the Philippines – Pampanga Chapter. But I'm still thinking on how to balance my work, studies and family. But no matter I do; it seems that luck really push me to lead an Engineering organization though I'm already leading our company in Clark.

I can compare myself to my grandfather Hilarion; the chemical Engineer. Not because he is intelligent because I'm not. But probably I'm more on the innovation side, I like to create new things and new process that will improve the way we do business in our company. I love thinking about new ideas on technology. I remember discussing the GPS technology with my friends way back in 1995 and I'm also thinking of wireless Internet and how it will look using the laptop in 2001. Now I can see the GPS and the mobile internet being use by everyone.

I believe that God put me in AGSB to be a leader. I was inspired by my professor, classmates and the Jesuits to be one. It's time for me to take the challenge so that if some of my grandchildren will write their own Genogram in the future; at least they will know that they have a grandfather who became an authentic leader. <Great Leader Cezar.   Thanks for making me/part of your leadership journey>

No comments:

Post a Comment