Thursday, July 23, 2015

Reflection Paper No. 2 by Leader VP Corazon Guevarra

Dear Prof. Saguinsin,

Please find below my Reflection paper No.2.
Thank you and regards!

Ma. Corazon Q. Guevarra
Leadership
Ateneo GSB Clark
July 22, 2015
Reflection Paper No. 2

1.       External- What are family, environment, school and work experiences that shaped you today?
What we are today  is an overall makeup that comprises our experiences (good or bad);the influences of the people around us (our family, friends, co-workers etc.); plus the environment (household, school, workplace) where we live. All of these have shaped our outlook, character and behavior.
While doing the exercise of writing my leadership journey and defining moments, I was able to identify not only the persons but the life experiences that have created the biggest impact in my life.
Having a happy childhood and growing up years had molded me into an upright and virtuous person. Possessing strong and intact values of integrity, honesty, humility, kindness and generosity can be attributed to the way I was brought up by God-fearing family members. Although we were not rich, our home had always been a haven of peace, love and harmony which is one of the things that I will forever be proud of and thankful for.  
Despite the fact that my parents did not finish their education, this has never  been an excuse or a reason  for them  not to send us to school. I have seen how they struggled and deprived themselves from comfort just to be able to send myself and my six siblings to college. Their exceptional accomplishment is something I find quite difficult for me to do if I were in the same situation.
Having an eldest sister who is an exemplar of sacredness and Godliness is amazing. She was, and up to now, is still, her younger siblings' guide and adviser.  Apart from being a role model, she has been unceasingly leading all of us by her  example – a life full of generosity, righteousness, simplicity and austerity.  And although I am not exactly like her, I am proud to say that there is a significant fraction of each of her good traits in me.  
Having been blessed with a contemplative Franciscan nun sister who has been continuously praying for  us have provided us recourse during times of confusion,  as well as spiritual wealth of serenity and contentment, which I consider an overwhelming experience that has transformed me into a God-fearing person.



All of these blissful experiences in our family have molded me in a very positive way.   I must admit that during my younger years, I used to disregard and most often intentionally overlook all of the good things that my family has done for me. But as I grew older, I began to appreciate the value of having been raised in an almost perfect family.
When I was writing my defining moments, I mentioned three circumstances that  have significantly changed  my perspective and priorities in life. The first one was when I became a mother which was an extremely fulfilling experience  for a woman. And although I was very young when I became a mother, this particular event in my life has literally increased my maturity age. Instantly, I was thinking and acting like I was already an experienced mother i.e. responsible, selfless and patient. I did not expect that I would pass the requirements of motherhood at my very young age.
Just recently while going through the reading materials in our Leadership course, my belief has been reinforced  that bitter circumstances that take place in our lives transform us into stronger and better individuals such as in my case : my failed marriage and my last two years of great ordeal in my previous employment.

My marriage of 25 years had been very thorny. Having a self-centered and abusive husband was a long rocky journey I had to endure. Apart from that, putting up with an obnoxious and insensitive semi-sociopath spouse was very traumatic for myself and my children.  I thought it was not going to end. I thought I would never have the courage to fight him because I did not have any idea at first on how I would do it. Certainly, everything has an end and through God's grace I was released from the bondage of a one-way relationship.  

Presently, I am a fulfilled and happy single mother of two. The past must have been very painful but what I and my children gained after that was gratifying. The most wonderful thing that ever happened to us after going through that excruciating experience was my children and I became closer. Communication lines have opened up and we are talking to each other more often than before.  The three  of us have all been transformed into better individuals- my  children have become more responsible and hardworking while I am now more optimistic and no longer afraid to face life's trials and challenges.

In December 2012, my former boss who was also my mentor sold his shares and retired from his position as President in Omni Aviation which was also my employer during that time. I did not realize then that his retirement would bring me into another predicament and emotional turmoil for two long years. As the new management took over, new President was appointed and new company policies were implemented. I began to feel  worthless seeing that my new boss was not happy having me around. He started to gradually discard me by transferring me to another position that was not directly connected with the company's operations to avoid me getting in the way. The ordeal had been very traumatic because there was nowhere for me to go. I did not have any choice but to put up with my boss and stay. This was the moment in my life when I completely entrusted and surrendered everything to God. The painful experience has humbled me and made me realize that holding high position and having power or authority are all temporary. God allows us to experience humiliation because He wants us to be humble and grounded all the time.

2.       Internal - your values, strength, weakness and how do they affect how you decide/ act?
During our first session in Leadership, we were asked to list down our strengths and weaknesses. It was a good exercise considering there was a lot of self-examination that led to self-awareness after that.  I have just realized now this is a sequel to that.

Having been reared the right way in a pleasant environment  has strengthened my values which I always use as  bases for my actions and decisions. Each time I have to make a decision – big or small, I always ask the question: Is it legal, moral and ethical?  For me the three are non-negotiable. What  will be its impact on others –negative or positive?  A thorough examination of  self by evaluating  the pros and cons versus our values is an effective way of coming up with a right decision. 

My weaknesses and strengths also influence my decision making. So many times, a lot of opportunities have been forgone because   my weaknesses   are impeding me. I am basically a worrier type of person who sometimes lacks confidence and is sensitive to criticism. These weaknesses have to be dealt with by balancing them with my strengths in order for me to come up with wise decisions. It's a good thing that my strengths outnumber my weaknesses and that is most probably the reason why I am able to function efficiently as a leader.  Being hardworking (want to get things done on time), optimistic (having a positive outlook and not being part of the problem but finding solution instead), reliable(my bosses and co-employees can rely on me on assigned tasks), considerate, generous, honest ( having integrity and leading by example) and disciplined are the good qualities and values that have helped me make it to the top as I always take them into consideration every time there is a need for me to make a decision.

3.       How do they prepare you for future challenges?
God has a purpose why he allows us to go through bitter circumstances which is to prepare us to be better and stronger individuals. On the other hand, our values, strengths and weaknesses serve as the foundation  to act in accordance with what we are being called for, and what we think is right.  Hence, it is essential to have positive values and regulated strengths for wise decision making to be able to prepare us confront the challenges that may come in the future. Weaknesses are not bad per se as they will moderate our actions to keep our both feet on the ground by preventing us to be too proud and over confident.

This is how I exactly see and perceive all of these things.  Everything that happens to my life and everything that I have (negative or positive) serves its purpose.

Conclusion:
  External factors such as experiences in the family, workplace, church  and school together with the internal such as our values, strengths and weaknesses complement each other to shape our entire being. They serve as catalysts that cause and bring about changes in the way we perceive and view life. Whether experiences are good or bad, regardless of we are weak or strong- by having an optimistic point of view, all of these will bring out the best in us and make us not only better persons but effective leaders as well.

And in return, let us give back to others what we have become by being catalyst for positive change to others. Also by sharing our own life story with others especially our bitter experiences , we can inspire those who are going through trials and difficulties to overcome their hopelessness  so that they become better persons as well. <more sana dito 3.5)

2 comments:

  1. Leader VP Cora, I believe that one of your greatest strengths is your unconditional love, care, and empathy. I have witnessed the strength of your character, generosity, humility, and self-giving...from Day 1 when we took the Ateneo entrance exams in Rockwell until today. Being always together in our group work, doing simultaneously our individual work, communicating via cellular calls, or simply sharing candid moments with you, have made me not only a better student but more importantly a better person.

    AGSB is making us better leaders. Toast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma. Corazon Q. GuevarraJuly 25, 2015 at 9:35 AM

    Thanks Leader VP Ate Belina! We may not be sisters genetically but we have treated each other as real biological sisters. Thanks again for inspiring me to continue my MBA. You just don't know how you've motivated and influenced me to be a better person as well. God bless you Ate!

    ReplyDelete