Friday, July 31, 2015

Reflection#2 (Stephanie Go) Internal and External Factors that Shaped me as a Leader

Hi Prof,

Sending my reflection #2. 


Reflection Paper #2
Submitted by: Leader Rae Stephanie O. Go

I.               External Influences 
Family
I grew up in a Chinese Christian family. My parents, who both came from a simple family, have instilled in us humility and other Christian values. When my father started his business, he just borrowed money from a relative as his parents do want to support him doing a different business from theirs. We saw how my parents persevered until we reach our current status. That's why, even when we reached the point where my parents are earning more, my parents taught us to value money and to stick with the Christian values that they have imparted to us.
When I was in college (Manila), my parents would only give me P1,000 per week. Then, I had to learn to take the mrt/lrt and jeep, especially during the time that I was elected as an officer in an inter-school economics organization where I had to go to various universities. I also had to take the bus going home to Tarlac and going back to Manila. This I still do, since I go to Manila once a month to meet up with my college friends or for business errands. 


However, having more leads to more responsibilities also. When our family started to do well in the business in around the year 1998, many relatives, various organizations, and other people are always depending on my parents for financial assistance. Both of my parents are really kind and generous. But, my siblings and I grew up thinking that these people are taking advantage of our family. So, we usually hesitate getting close to people thinking that we might be taken advantage of. When I completed my genelogy, I realized how much my relatives from the mother's side depend on my parents for financial assistance. And at times, we would think that they are abusing the kindness of my parents. This is true even in the Church and School where my father is the Chairman of the board for many years now. Both are non-profit, so my father has always provided from construction, supplies, and alike. But, my parents have never thought that way.
I am blessed that my parents, who are first generation Christians in their respective family, are cheerful givers and grounded. They easily give because they know that whatever we have are not ours but the Lord's. So, even though, at times we tend to think that our family is taken advantage of, my siblings and I are also cheerful givers. Moreover, our parents imparted to us to put God first before anything else, especially in decision-making. At present, my sister is in missions giving her service in reaching out to those who do not know Him yet. I am involved in the music ministry. My brothers are involved in the kids and youth ministry. This has been their greatest influence to me and my siblings. 
Education and Environment
Aside from growing up in a Christian family, I also studied in a small Christian school with a Accelerated Christian Education curriculum. During my time, our class was the biggest with 11 students. We had a big learning center where students from Grade 4 to 4th year high school are all together. We had our own cubicles, where we do our PACE, it is like worksheets with levels. Then, we have supervisors roaming around to assist us if we have questions. We correct our own work, which tested our character in being honest. Then, there were some subjects like Science where the classes are held with the normal curriculum. Since we were a small class, our teachers were very focused on each one. They would spend time us, students, to guide our spiritual life. They would sacrifice 30 mins of their lunch break to talk to us.
The difficult part during my high school life was that, since my father was the Chairman of the Board, there were a lot of expectations from us. There was pressure to be a good student academically, emotionally, and spiritually. Being a good person has never been difficult for me as my parents have already instilled that in me. But, I had a difficult time to excel in the academics and to become a leader. But, having a closer relationship with God also entails excellence in every aspect of your life. So, when I realized this in the end of my 1st year in high school, I strived to give my best in my second year. That year, I got an academic excellence together with a Character Award. From then, I have strived to be a better me, not comparing myself to my classmates, but to my previous performance.
Most of my principles or convictions, with the help of my parents and my mentors/teachers, have been established during my high school years. These, I brought with me in my college years. Being innately shy and coming from a small school, I had a challenging 1st year in terms of being more assertive in class participations and even in making friends. But, before the year ended, I was able to make good relations with some people with whom I share the similar convictions. It was easy to get "lost" in college if encircled by bad people. But, it was easy to get through college because I was surrounded with good company. During college years, God had worked more on my leadership skills giving me opportunities to lead in group works and organizations.

Work Experience
Aside from a 6 month OJT experience in research, I directly went straight to work for our family business after graduating. It was not the direction that I thought I would take, since I knew that, being involved in the family business means encountering conflicts also within the family. Also, that entails more responsibilities as the business is ours. So, before, I used to think that I'd rather work for someone else. But, it was a choice that I made during the last 3 months of my college years when I saw that there is a need for my contribution so that we can make the business grow.
When I first entered the family business in 2010, it was really difficult for me to show authority especially to those older than me, to confront employees who are not following rules, and, the most challenging one, to get the approval of my father in the actions that I take and decisions that I make. It is really not easy working with my father, especially since he is very dominant, hot-tempered and used to doing things and making decisions on his own. But, when my brother graduated and entered the business in 2012, we are able to team up and make good decisions which slowly earned my father's trust. But, despite this, I would always still have conflicts with my father. Then, early in 2013, I realized that the reason is that I could not understand the management side as I took Industrial Economics in college. So, I decided to take MBA to bridge the gaps. So far, MBA is helping me a lot in gaining my father's trust in decision making as he sees positive outputs. Now, with joint effort, we are in the process of starting our pilot branch in San Jose, Nueva Ecija. 
II.              Internal  Influences
Values/ Strengths/ Weaknesses:
"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything" -Peter Marshal. My convictions are what I value the most. All of my decisions, especially during college and at present, are all based on my convictions. It is easy to hold on to it as these are grounded in my relationship with God.  

The eneagram helped me understand myself more. When I was read my results being a peacemaker, I had a lot of "ahhhh…" moments. I realized a lot of things and understand my strengths, weakness, emotions and tendencies more. Growing up, I have always been a positive thinker. I don't easily get stressed, disappointed, or disheartened. In every situation, I always get all sides, and always give benefit of the doubt. So, even though, there are frequent conflicts within the family due to business matters. I always tend to bridge the gaps, especially between my brother and father who have more similar character.

Whenever, there are people fighting, especially in the family, I get nervous or, at times, palpitate. I really avoid conflicts in workplace, family, and friends. However, due to my natural tendency to avoid conflicts, I tend to neglect some concerns that are needed to be addressed in the workplace. Although I see the problem, I rather not talk to the employee involved thinking that the situation will get bigger. But, not solving these concerns actually created more problems. Hence, I developed the Human Resource Department. I have two main rules for this department; that is, consistency and promptness (but, in a timely way) in implementing rules and regulation.
                       
III.            How do they prepare you for your future challenges?
Early this year, I watched a short message from Edric Mendoza, the son-in-law of Pastor Tan-Chi of CCF Church. He mentioned that many times, we view life as if we have a folder of each aspect of it. That we work on each aspect as if it's not related to one another. But, just like what he said, all situations and aspects of our life are intertwined. God works in every chapter and aspect of our life towards the ultimate plan that He has for us. And, as I reflect through the papers and activities that we have been doing, I realized how God first instilled character and principles in my early years with the help of my family and mentors, then leadership and relationship skills in college years. Everything, whether happy or difficult events, happen for a reason. Those have shaped me to become the leader I am today. Life is not an easy road, but, when you have the Lord and the character, one will surely overcome the bumps. Since I have these, I am confident to face the future with an aim towards what He has in stored for me. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28.




Thank you,
Stephanie Go 3

No comments:

Post a Comment