Monday, July 20, 2015

Movie Synopsis of Gladiator moivie, analysis vs J. Campbell and Life Story by Leader Engr. Cezar Cortez

COMPARISON OF THE MOVIE "GLADIATOR" TO JOSEPH CAMPBELL'S MAN HAS A THOUSAND FACE

1) THE HERO IS INTRODUCED IN HIS ORDINARY WORLD.
General Maximus is a simple father and husband that dearly love his son and wife. They live in a place full of wheat plantations. They are a happy family as seen in the first part of the movie.
2) THE CALL TO ADVENTURE.
The hero was task to defeat the Germanic barbarians to restore and affirm the power of Rome. He was an able general with loyalty to the emperor Aurelius.
3) THE HERO IS RELUCTANT AT FIRST.
Although the dying Aurelius has a son named, Commodus, he still decides to appoint a temporary leadership to the brave Maximus, with a desire to eventually return power to the Roman Senate. Aurelius informs Maximus and offers him time to consider before informing Commodus, who, in a bout of jealousy, murders his father.
4) THE HERO IS ENCOURAGED BY THE WISE OLD MAN OR WOMAN.
Maximus was constantly encouraged by Aurelius to consider in accepting the emperor position because of his knowledge in battle, the love for Rome and he also enjoys the loyalty of his thousand army.



5) THE HERO PASSES THE FIRST THRESHOLD.
Maximus started fighting in the coliseum together with his other fellow slaves. They fought the best in arms combat. But they are far superior from the rest of their opponents. It is when the teamwork was shown in the movie. When Maximus saids that they need to stay together to live.
6) THE HERO ENCOUNTERS TESTS AND HELPERS.
The main character was forced to work with sister of Commodus his arch enemy and the senator that he didn't trust at all to be able to escape from prison. He needs to do it to meet his army that were stationed in the port of Ostia.
7) THE HERO REACHES THE INNERMOST CAVE
Slave traders find Maximus and take him to Zucchabar, a rugged province in North Africa, where he is purchased by Proximo, the head of a local gladiator school. Distraught and nihilistic over the death of his family and betrayal by his empire, Maximus initially refuses to fight, but as he defends himself in the arena his formidable combat skills lead to a rise in popularity with the audience. As he trains and fights further, Maximus befriends Hagen, a Germanic barbarian, and Juba, a Numidian hunter, the latter becoming a close friend and confidant to the grieving Maximus, the two speaking frequently of the afterlife and Maximus' eventual reunification with his family (source: IMDB).
8) THE HERO ENDURES THE SUPREME ORDEAL.
 As the games continue, Commodus pits Maximus against Tigris of Gaul, Rome's only undefeated gladiator, in an arena surrounded by chained tigers with handlers instructed to target Maximus. Following an intense battle, Maximus narrowly defeats Tigris and awaits Commodus' decision to kill or spare Tigris. As Commodus votes for death, Maximus spares Tigris, deliberately insulting the Emperor and garnering the audience's approval. His bitter enemy now known as "Maximus the Merciful," (source: IMDB)
9) THE HERO SIEZES THE SWORD.
 Maximus then beats Commodus into submission and kills him with his own stilletto. It is a vindication for him because Commodus is the one who killed his own father emperor Aurelius and ordered the brutal death of his son and wife.
 10) THE ROAD BACK.
Praetorian guards immediately storm Proximo's gladiator barracks, battling the gladiators while Maximus escapes. Hagen and Proximo are killed in the siege while Juba and the survivors are imprisoned. Maximus escapes to the city walls only to witness Cicero's death and be ambushed by a legion of Praetorian guards.
11) RESURRECTION.
The hero captured the heart of the people of Rome.
12) RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR.
Maximus return to the ultimate place where we all go – the afterlife. During the time he's about to die he can see a door where he can enter. In the door he can see the same field of wheat plantation whenever he comes home from war. There he saw his kid and wife smiling. It was his happiest moment of Maximus afterlife. He may never been the emperor of Rome but he left a lasting legacy of courage, integrity and respect from the whole of Rome.


  

COMPARISON OF THE MOVIE THE GLADIATOR TO MY LIFE STORY
I'm just a simple person with a simple dream. I'm not the best in class. I'm just very patient and hardworking. I'm not good in the subject of mathematics during the time in high school. I decided to take the challenge of Engineering thru the advised of my father. After graduation; I am reluctant to take the board exams because it will be another cost that my family will bear. I only want to find a decent job or work abroad.
Before the board exams; I had a chance to meet the best teacher in Math as far as I know. His name is Engr. Perfecto Padilla. He inspired me to do better in my everyday life. Do not worry about things that we cannot control. And always believe in God. He's like the wise old man that kept me pushing during the time I'm already on the verge of giving up in my review class because of financial difficulties.
I can only compare my loyalty to my American boss during the time I was still a Supervisor. We always talk to each other on how to improve the company and how we can help employees in their work for almost 4 hours or more a day. My boss treated me as his son and a friend. He knows how I loved our company the same as Maximus in his love for Rome.
Just like Maximus of the Gladiator; I'm a very reluctant leader. I was offered a lot of top position in many organizations which I politely declined because of schedules. Many Electronics engineers in Pampanga want me to be the Governor of IECEP Pampanga chapter in 2012. It's a good thing that one of the members is willing to be Governor so I helped him get the position but I took the Vice Governor position instead. I was also approach to be the President of the homeowners association in our Village but I declined but I took the Adviser position instead. I'm presently the Treasurer of the Environmental Practitioners Association; I hope I will not be offered the President's position. The reason for me on being reluctant is because my time with my family will be limited. Like Maximus he wants to spend a lot of time with his family.
The most important similarity of my management style with Maximus is we believed in the importance of TEAMWORK. As Maximus said: "If we stay together we survive". They succeeded in defeating their enemies because of their ability to stay and work together.   3.5



No comments:

Post a Comment