Saturday, July 25, 2015

Genogram by Leader Bien Patrick M. Velasquez

MY GENOGRAM
Mother Side
My Grandparents:
1.)    Severo Mallari (Daddy, deceased) - he is a hardworking man with five kids. He was a frustrated dentist, by that time, his parents don't have money to send him to school so he was forced to join the army and become a member of the Philippine Army. He was hot tempered man because of the past war he's been through. After he retires, he put up a small drug store nearby the public market and raise his five children very well and disciplined them strictly and accordingly, the result? Five successful children before he dies. He died of lung cancer.
2.)    Teresita Mallari (Ma- ma) - she was the youngest among her 5 siblings. She was not able to go to school because of monetary reason. She is the only one alive. She is always conscious about her diet the reason she lives until now, she is 88 yrs. old, strong and even going to the public market everyday. My Grandmother is like a nurse/doctor to us given by God. She is always taking care whoever is sick in the family. Another secret for her long life is I think she is talkative and tells a lot of stories. She loves to cook especially Chinese dishes because she is half Chinese.

Children (Eldest-Youngest)
1.)    Edna- The eldest among the five. She is a successful CPA and works abroad, New York City, as an accountant through various chain of companies such as advertising and fast food chains. I think she was the favorite because my grandparents gave her not just she needs but also she gets what she wants. My aunt together with his husband and two beautiful children are living in the US for almost 15 yrs now.
2.)    Rey- He was not that intelligent compared to his sister. At the age of 51, he still got another baby. He is now based in Alaska together with his three young super healthy children (my cousins) and his wife. They migrated last 2011 in Alaska and going every two years during Christmas vacation.
3.)    Belle (my mom) - My mom is very practical, all of the used clothes of his older sister is pass it on to her. She was able to get the trait of that of her mom which is trying to help those who are sick inside the family even those relatives that needs help. She graduated at UST as a pharmacist and ranked 8 over all in licensure examination during her time. She tried to pursue her study but because of her condition (asthma) she was not able to reach her dream of becoming a doctor instead became the pharmacist of their drug store after she graduated until today. She is the foundation of our family, she made decisions more than my father. I can see a true leader living inside her.
4.)    Emy – he is my favorite uncle. Although he is considered as "the black sheep" of the family, still he is able to recover and build his own family. He is so stubborn and often involved in a street fight. We drink and talk a lot of things together. He is the closest to me.
5.)    Resti - he is the youngest among the five and I can say, the smartest among them. He graduate Chemical Engineering in UST (Cum Laude) later on join the US navy way back 1992. The navy offered him for schooling to become a nurse inside the organization, he accepted in and become a licensed nurse last 2001. After he became a nurse he pursue his study and became anaesthesiologist. He is base now in Texas with his daughter and wife.
FATHER SIDE
My Grandparents:

Gervacio Velasquez (My lolo, deceased) - My grandfather died before I was born so I didn't know much about him. My dad usually tells me that my grandfather was the kindest person and the most loving father, friend and even as grandparent. His first job was to sell rice with his father in Arayat Pampanga. He did not even had a chance to go to school but because of his eagerness to send his children to school, he and my lola put up a Funeral Homes in Arayat.
Crispina Velasquez (My lola, deceased) – She is so loving and caring. She is with my lolo through thick and thin, ups and downs of their lives. They were married at the age of 18 and from that time on, only death separates them form each other. My lola cares specially for the poor. She died at the age of 81.
Children (Eldest- Youngest)
1.)    Remedios - She is a teacher by profession. She always cooked for the family whenever there is gathering/ occasions in short she loves to cook. Aside from being a teacher she is also an active member of their religion (Jehovas Witnesses) together with my two aunties, her two younger sisters. She is now retired and focusing more on her religion. She has two successful children working in Canada.
2.)    Modesta – She is married with two children. She follow her elder sister to fulfil their obligations inside their religion, she did not finished school, instead follow the footsteps of her older sister
3.)    Boy – The "black sheep" of the family.  He died before I was born, I was not able to meet him but from stories, I heard that he took drugs and even threaten his parents and siblings if not given money for his addiction to drugs.
  
4.)    Celso (My Dad) – Hardworking and a family oriented person. He was pulled out form college with aeronautical engineer course because no one in the family wants to run the family business and in that young age, my father chose to follow my grandfather's wish, to take over the business because he was very ill on that moment.  My father was just 22 yrs old when he starts to manage the whole thing and untol now, still doing the things that my dranfather told him to do, in how to operate the business and become a true leader through his employees. He is expecting me to follow his roots and continue the legacy that he and my grandfather made.
5.)    Ester – Just like my two other aunties, she is focusing more on their re;ligion. She graduated business administration at University of the East, unfortunately she was not given a single child. She now focuses more on their religion, preaching, together with her other two sisters.
My siblings:
1.)    Paolo – The eldest, a tall guy and a frustrated priest. The call is not enough for him to enter but did not finish his faith. He is currently studying theology with the permission of his wife to be and after that they'll get married maybe next year. I can say that he is a leader because he is a good speaker. He is always invited by different schools, offices to conduct seminar and talks about Business and often times about faith in God. He graduated BS Economics in UST, (dean's lister) and after that work as a teller in China Bank Makati. After 2 yrs of banking, he decided to quit the job and look for other opportunity. Thank God he found a fruitful and right job for him. He is 30 yrs old.
2.)    Katrina – Graduated (dean's lister) at the University of Santo Tomas. She did not experienced formal work after she graduated. She married 2 yrs after she graduated and now has child. The husband of my sister came from the family of leaders and businessmen (Laus) so together they build chain of businesses like spa, restaurant, food karts and a lot more.

CONCLUSION:
In general, I am closer to my family of my mother. Unlike the family of my father which have feud in the past because of money and wealth issues. Looking into my genogram I noticed a lot of courage and passion for being successful. Both of my grandparents on either side came from a family that struggles in the beginning of each of their journey. On that journey leadership came in them naturally and apply it to their everyday lives. As look upon my roots, somehow I can say that I inherited the traits of my Grandfather on my father's side on how they handle their staff and become a true leader and inspire their workers from that day my grandfather decided to put up his own business. My father saw himself through my grandfather and me now seeing myself to become just like my father. At my young age, I am learning those lessons and techniques from my father on how to become a good leader just like them. Those on my mother's side are passionate and competitive in life, they are more aggressive in becoming a successful individuals throughout their lives, a good sign that leadership is running through our blood. I am very thankful from where I am right at this moment. As a young leader I want to learn in an early age on how to become successful just like my family. They serve as an inspiration to me and give me courage by simply reflecting on what each of them have become. I look forward to become just like them, successful leader that can motivate, inspire and influence others. I hope to continue the legacy of my family by running the family business, I am willing to learn more as I grow to become an effective leader and be a successful business man in the future.
 

2 comments:

  1. Leader Belle S. KatigbakJuly 26, 2015 at 11:57 AM

    Thank you Bien for sharing. I am positive that you will be a great leader, just like you ancestors. Leadership traits run in your blood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw in last Saturday presentation the symbols for divorce and separation. How about symbol for family feud.

    ReplyDelete