Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Synopsis of the movie "Gifted hand" and analysis J. Campbell monomyth and my life story by Leader J. Pineda - Bansil

Dear Prof. Saguinsin,

I am sending to you the Movie synopsis " Gifted Hand ".

I made a lot of realization on this movie. 

Thank you.

Respectfully yours,

Janelle Ann Pineda-Bansil


The Monomyth of Joseph Campbell
Gifted Hand (The Ben Carson story)
My adventure

1. Hero is introduced in his ordinary world.

Ben Carson came from a very poor family. He was raised by a single mom name, Sonya. Sonya would take domestic works just to support her family's finances. When his family moved in London to start a new life, he encountered his first predicament as a child. Since Ben and his brother were transferees in their new school, they had difficulty in coping up. Ben was ridicule by his classmates .He was bullied which made him developed uncontrollable anger.
The poverty he lived with and experienced of bullying aggravated his rage.  
My simple life growing up
Just like Ben, I came from a very simple family. Back when I was young, I learned how my parents are very much frugal with our finances.
Others may see us struggling to make both ends meet, but it is the other way around for us. We may not experience the luxuries in life such as fashionable clothes, gadgets, delicious food, parties and  etc. but we were provided the most luxurious thing we can ever had, and that is, education. In-spite our life's status, my parents believed that sending us to a private school will give good foundation for our future.
It was instilled to me from my parents that education is the only treasure they can bestow to us.
Now that I am in AGSB, I also learned aside from my parents vision, that education can also help build nation. We are formed to lead one day and make a difference in the life of others.
And my Education from ATENEO me to become Man for others.
2. Call to adventure
Sonya was persistent to help his son changed their negative perception towards challenges in their life.   She believed that her children will have greater opportunity if they will do well in school and develop positive outlook.
She motivated them to perform well in school. She restricted them to watch any TV show except those shows who have educational sense.
She also required them to read books   in the library and do written reports. Although she can barely read, she would scan their reports pretending she was running through their reports.
 My mom is the most influential person to my life. I'm impressed how she surpassed poverty and finished her schooling with flying colors. She managed to influence me and my siblings to take the same path. I learned to set aside my desire for earthly materials and celebrate the simplicity of life.
 My mom is a humble midwife by profession yet very hardworking. I felt My call to adventure to join her in her field and become a doctor of medicine someday.
3. Hero is reluctant at first
Ben was resistant at first. He fined his Mom too controlling.
Eventually Ben learned to love reading over watching TV. He began to enjoy reading where he discover more than he could imagine. He developed strong desire to learn more. A new Ben arose with different perspective that redefined his central character.
When some of my relatives and classmates knew about my plan, I am prejudged for my ability. Others knew me for being a little free spirited and started to question my capacity of becoming doctor.
That made me more determined to pursue doctor of medicine. I was never reluctant like Ben, I did not allow others to define my character. Those people who have question me from the start became my motivation. But that motivation made me unaware of the personality I am creating inside me. I fail to realize how overconfident I am that I even loss my connection with the Lord. I have blinded myself from the eagerness of proving them wrong.
MED SCHOOL DAYS
The first day of Med school started back in 2009. I felt like I'm living the life I wanted. I was given so much time and attention by my parents. They have provided me enough, all I have to do is to study well and graduate on time. They say that Medicine is a one way door, once you are in there is no other way out.
Just like a normal student I wanted to pass all of my subject. I am very complacent that I will finish what I have started.
My leadership experience in Med school (Credibility)
I had an experienced like Ben, when I was asked to lead a group in a major subject. While preparing for the activity, I overheard one of my classmate questioning my capability to lead. He said " sus si Janelle? wala yan". I felt that devastated moment, as if everything stop around you and all you can hear is the fast beat of your heart accompanied by anxiety?
I felt irrelevant that moment. It took others to make me realize how stupid I am to allow mediocrity rule over me. It came to me that I have to prove myself and become credible. I mark that day on. I exerted extra effort looking for additional resources for reading materials. I fed myself with important information that equipped me to pass and even top some final exam. One defining moment that proves my effort in doing extra mile, was when my name came second on a major exam in neuro . It was as expected that the number 1 spot will be taken by the usual top-notcher. I surprised not just my classmates but the very one who questioned by ability. Then, the final exam came over, and with humbling experience from that person, I am exempted in taking almost all of the major exams. I was exempted for garnering adequate grades to qualify for the criteria for final exam exemption. Unfortunately, that classmate of mine was required to have his final exams in all of our subject and even had his removals for some of the majors.
4. The Hero is encouraged by the wise old man or woman
Sonya was very persuasive to Ben. Her influenced helped him to think and dream big. She was also one of the reason why Ben decided to pursue his Medical career.
 In some instances Ben's family would require medical visit in the hospital. Ben would have chance observe every single routine of the nurse and doctors. One occasion, an emergency call was heard through system call for "Dr. Jones". After that incident Ben imagined his name being announced in the hospital as Dr. Carson.
That made him choose his career as Doctor.
In God's grace at the age of 23, I was blessed to be a mom. And I successfully delivered a baby boy name Andres. Life suddenly became out of my control. But my mom encourages me to continue schooling. After pregnancy I have to go back to manila and continue med school.
5. The hero passes the first threshold
Because of his hard work, he eventually earned good reputation from his classmates and even top his class. One time, in his 5th grade, Ben amazed his teacher and classmate when he identify a rock samples his teacher had brought to school.
My decision on getting back on track was influenced by my mom and my loving husband. It was never an easy decision leaving my 6th month old baby. But I know I have to be on track again in chasing my dream. Back in manila, on the third day of class I was in my room reviewing for the next day class. I just felt that my tears rolling over my cheeks down to the pages of my book. I remember that melancholic feeling of being alone studying, away from my 6 month old baby and husband. It was very miserable time for me, that the only thing I can do that time is cry. I cried over the night. I elicited frustration for not coping up well with the challenges of my decision. Then, next morning I woke up, with heavy heart, I prepared myself for school. My first class is surgery. That day is so challenging  for me. I could not stop my emotion from bursting out. My tears naturally flows out of my eyes. then I texted my mom and told her about my condition in my surgery   class. I was surprised when she replied to me, allowing me to pack my things and go home to my son. Without hesitation, I went out of the room, I packed my things and went home to Pampanga.
6. The hero encounters test and helpers
After grade school Ben graduated with honors. He knew that they are not financially capable of continuing his college degree, so he became a working student. Because of his persuasiveness, he got a scholarship grant at Yale University and earned a B.A. degree in psychology.
After the quitting incidence. I was so relieved, but not happy. I continued my laboratory business for 2 more years. Then I enrolled to MBA-H. After a year I transferred to REGIS, where I am happily situated now.
7. The hero reaches the innermost cave
After graduating from Yale in 1973,Ben enrolled in the School of Medicine at the University of Michigan, and finished the degree, doctor of medicine.
Then, he married Lacrena Rustin. And they moved to Baltimore, Maryland.
Ben applied as a resident doctor at Johns Hopkins University. On his encounter as newbie in the department, Ben was put into a questionable decision making. He was called to attend a surgery patient   without the supervision of a consultant. It is a protocol to only do major surgical procedure in the presence of consultant doctor. Ben's licensed was put in jeopardy for saving the life of that patient. But that incident only proves his skills and competence. Then he was appointed as chief resident in neurosurgery department in John Hopkins.
 At the age of 33, Ben became director of pediatric neurosurgery.
In 2012, I tried my luck in franchising an international educational service. However, I luckily failed for 3 times. That is very frustrating for me.  Then one of my classmate in MBA-H introduced me to Galileo Enrichment program.
8. The hero endures the supreme ordeal.
A challenging ordeal came along to him. In 1987, Dr. Carson travels to Germany. He meet a couple, Peter and Augusta Rausch. He was asked by the couple  to do to separate their  two 7-month-old conjoined twins (craniopagus twins). Ben believes that the twins might be separated but with a higher risk of losing one or both of them.
He had four months to research and formulate a plan to save the twins. On his
It was never easy running a start-up business for all we know. It requires so much time and effort building the system and creating the norm inside the system.
Last 2014, I was privileged to expand my service in our community. We operated two more branches in partnership with schools in Mabalacat city. That makes me manage 3 branches in a row. Knowing that opportunity can only knock once for this case, I grabbed my chance and took over as center directress for the three branches. Which really required so much time and effort for my case, since that same time of the year I started taking subjects again at AGSB. Together with my responsibilities in the laboratory, I also have my family t take cgood care of.
Because I deal with kids, most especially toddlers, I get to see and compare their milestones. One occasion, my son visited me while facilitating the morning toddler class. It was singing and dancing activity. Surprisingly, he did not join the circle time and simply roam around the center the whole session. I notice his behavior. Then, I came to realize that at his age he must enjoy big motor skills activities and should have utter hundreds of word already. But the only words he can say are "mom, dad and No." It took me a while to observe how mad I've become. I've been too focus on my career. I failed to see the consequences of my actions.
Imagine I am holding an enrichment program, helping other kids improve their learning capacity in English and Math, and here is my son who cannot even express his needs and wants into words?  
9. the hero seizes the sword
Almost about to lose time in finding answer. An incident of miscarriage of his wife candy, led him to a great idea.  The next morning after the miscarriage of his wife, he was asked to do rare procedure of hemispherectomy.
 The procedure will removes half the brain of a 4-year-old who had been convulsing 100 times each day.
So, we immediately scheduled his visit to have him checked by a neurodevelopmental pediatrician. He was diagnosed to have communication delay. It was very hard at first, especially to my first born. He was requested to attend 3x a week therapy in San Fernando. The location of the therapy center is relatively too far from our place that it would really require extra time to prepare.
No one is expected to attend the needs of my only son but me. That made me yearn to take full responsible on the consequences of my actions.
10. The road back
Nearing to the four months' time, although Ben figured out an idea, He is still in the reckoning risk of doing the procedure. He even question his confidence to execute his plan.
A flash back was shown in the movie, when he was motivated by his mom, Sonya, to do well in school. Then He came back to reality and his mom came into picture encouraging him that he can save the twins.
The most significant decision I have to take is, to know my priorities in life.
That made me conclude the following decisions:
1.    Choose my Family first
2.    Close the lab on weekdays and simply do scheduling of patients  
3.    Close the two other branches and maintain the first standalone branch in Mabalacat.
11. The resurrection
On September 4, 1987, Dr. Ben Carson and a team of 70 doctors, nurses, and support staff joined forces. The surgery occurred for 22-hours He had applied a technique used in cardiac surgery called hypothermic arrest.
It was never hard decision for me to choose my family over my own self oriented goals.
I would like to support my thoughts with the shortest speech from the former CEO of Coca Cola , "Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. They are work, Family, health, Friends, and spirits and you are keeping all these ball in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, ricked, damage or even shattered. They will never be the same You must understand that and strive for Balance in your life."   
12. Return with the elixir
After the successful 22-hour procedure, Ben became famous. As of today He continuously attend different procedures in different countries.
After his consistent therapy sessions   with support from home-based routines, my son is just a few months delayed from his speech.
Probably the elixir I have in hand from that eye opening experience is "Love".  I have learned "that is not what I have in my life but who I have in my life that counts".
Self- realization from my experience:
I like to feature a quote from Joseph Campbell:

 "We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come". 
 

The plan that I've made for myself is not the same plan God had for me. And with that, I rest my faith in him to   lead me on my journey.
 3

No comments:

Post a Comment