Sunday, July 26, 2015

Reflection Paper 2 by LEADER DR. MA. LOURDES G. LAGUNILLA

Reflection Paper 2
LEADER DR. MA. LOURDES G. LAGUNILLA
1.  External -  what are family, environment school and work experience that shaped you today?
2.  Internal  -  your values, strength, weakness and how do they affect on how you decide act
3.  How do they prepare you for your future challenges..
I. External -  what are family, environment school and work experience that shaped you today?
A. My Family
What I am today is a composition of my life experience with my family, my studies ,and my employment.
I come from an ordinary family who work hard for a living.  There is no wealth inherited to make life easier.  My memories bring me back to a hard working father  " Tatang " , an employee at Clark Air Base who is out of the house as early as 6 in the morning which means my mother has to prepare earlier for his breakfast and lunch to bring.  My mother " Ima"  is a housewife but has to complement income with our retail textile store.  She has also to prepare early to go to market to work and leave us with house helpers . We, their  children were reared to be independent .  We wake up early to go school walking from home for about a distance of 5 kilometers most of the time just a pandesal for our breakfast and go home for lunch also walking to and from school.  I remember very well that I was skinny then.  I eat to live.  I am more preoccupied to study.  I don't remember studying my lessons after school for I am so tired and just go to sleep after dinner.  We had no social life like parties to attend.  Very vivid to my memory was our walk through the railroad with my brother carrying me at his back to watch television during weekends at my aunt's place who had a black and white television.  This was an enjoyable experience.  We also share fond memories of sharing dinner after a payday of my Tatang when he brings home " Target " corned  beef which he cooked delightfully as soup with tomatoes, potatoes .  This is grand dinner  for us.
I remember good memories of my brothers telling me stories from movies like " ALL MINE TO GIVE" , SHENANDOAH.  My younger sister and I enjoy listening to the stories of the movies watched by my  two elder brothers and they make us cry.
During weekends, we are all obliged to work at our retail store.  Holidays like Christmas were more busy season and at a very young age I sell socks on a table fronting our store ( this was to be a " bargain sale " ). During those times, my sister and I hide under the table whenever we see schoolmates.(  I didn't exactly knew  then why we hide. Maybe because we were different  as any other children as we were working .    I envied my classmates enjoying the company of their parents during Christmas season. ( Later on when we grew older about  at 10 years of age , I realized we had to help our parents to earn more during  Christmas season. This the best time to sell clothes.  School breaks  were not meant to be vacation because I had to work.
I have fond memories of  Ima cook pulvoron or milk candies which I also learn to cook and wrap , including leche flan especially prepared during fiestas on second Sundays of October, the "La Naval".    I love fiestas as these are the best days when go to mass with new dresses and we have a lot of food selection
During school programs and activities I  was all by myself , no family member to watch our performance.  Our parents were just too busy working.  I could understand but I always envied children with their families supportive of their school and personal needs.  This was how life was till my high school days.  There are times I ask why my parents  are so busy to miss very significant moments in our life. ( I began to understand  this situation  when I grew older at  12 years old, that sometimes , our parents will really missed attending to us, because the opportunity for earning is during these holidays, graduation months and weekend.  Still, in my mind I question my parents why they missed  memorable events. 
Now that I have my own family, I reminisce my humble beginning and  always shared with them my happy and sad moments of life.  I try to be a better parent to be always available for my children in their school activities though my husband will always attend Parents Teachers meeting.  I continue to be an example of hard work, but I do not fail to attend to the personal and academic needs of my children.  I also am their teacher.


B. My School
I was so inspired to give my best In school when during the first announcement of top ten during my First year in high school I was the second highest.  I have not really given much effort and time to my studies.  From then on I always wanted to be at the top 5  highest section at Holy Angel University where there were 30 sections. . It was during high school when I had a devotion and attended  Novena prayers to Our Mother of Perpetual Help during Wednesdays . My prayers were answered as I did very well in school.
The  grand activity my parents gave  their time is when I graduated in Elementary with honors and as a Salutatorian in high school.  My father gave me a gift a Missal book bought at Catholic Trade which I used on Sunday masses.  My eldest brother then who was already working treated us to a dinner in a restaurant  and gave me a watch which I valued so much. I was so overwhelmed with his kindness which more is deeply engraved in my heart.
My college days in Medical Technology and Medicine were not easy.  It was challenging to study with limited resources like books and materials but these made me more determined to work harder.  It was the best thing to happen to graduate with a Degree of Doctor of Medicine.  Until now, I still feel it's a dream.
C.. My Work Experience
I worked to help the family earn at an early age .  Initially I wondered why I had to worked at a young age.  As I grew older I realized that my parents wanted us to realize the value of hard work.  I took the  Physician's Licensure exam in June  1982 and the results were out only in  December.  During this 6 months awaiting results, the government obliged us for rural service work.  While doing my rural service work, I was requested by some physicians to relieve them in their clinic.  I was given some portion of the professional fees and I was really happy to receive as much as P 800.00. and go on hospital duty  which earned me around P 500.00 .  I took every opportunity to earn and save which I will need for my residency training.  I applied for residency in Pediatrics at the Hospital of Infant Jesus in November month before the release of the Board exams. I had to start my residency in December before Christmas since our retail textile store got burned in a market fire.  There were occasions I had self pity, as being a doctor you just feel there is so much to work and train for a minimum stipend which barely gives you a just enough for food and allowance.  One has to go on 24  hours duty every 2 or 3 days and still report everyday including weekends and holidays.  Barely did we have sleep since aside from attending and making rounds for about 50 inpatients or outpatients, we had to prepare for our case reports and grand rounds and research only to have more challenging moments with consultants.  I thought that was just the 3 years training until we had to hurdle and pass another Specialty Board exams , written and orals to become Diplomate.
Once I graduated in my residency I started to work in the academe as I was recommended to teach at the AUF College of Medicine and at the same time start my clinic.  It was  not very easy since I have to commute from Angeles City to Jose B. Lingad Memorial Regional Hospital in San Fernando, Pampanga to do preceptorial to medical students.  At the same time I attend to private out patients and admitted patients. The start of a clinic was not also easy.  I will be very fortunate then if I has at least one patient a day  to see  or at least one referral or admission a week so I could bring home some money to pay our bills and buy basic needs.  It was my paycheck from the school that helped survive the first two years of practice I only doing part time clini.
In  1992,  I was appointed the Head, AUF College of Medicine Department of Pediatrics and concurrently  of the hospital AUF Medical Center.  Working simultaneously for both institution was truly challenging.  The expectations were different.  In the academe, aside from my lectures and exams, I had to attend to Executive Committee ( EXECOM) meetings monthly to review our students' performance and the medical  curriculum.  In 2000, the standard curriculum was shifted  to Problem  based learning ( PBL) as this was adapted at the University of the East College of Medicine where  then the Dean Reynaldo Lopez  graduated. PBL was also adapted in Harvard University University of the Philippines and other local medical schools like Manila Central University.  The University of Santo Tomas and Far Eastern University used the standard curriculum.  I had so much reservation on PBL and I was outvoted.  The majority of the members of the EXECOM gave their approval.  It was the objective of Problem based learning for students to be granted more options to learn. The  Faculty staff became facilitators of subjects taken .  The different departments  were merged  which means a topic in Cardiology will be simultaneously taken up in the basic subjects  like Anatomy, Physiology , Biochemistry , Pathology, Pharmacology, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics and Gynecology.  There was a coordinator for every level group who synchronizes the subjects and collates the grades. Problem based learning gave students more time, and independence to learn.  I felt the students were happy without the regular classroom lectures.  Honestly, it was lighter as far as my time was concerned.  I did not have to compute grades, but as a Department Head I saw there was less interaction with the students.  I didn't know the performance of each  students as far as Pediatrics is concerned.  Problem based learning went on for 3 years.    My term as the Department head in the academe was cut short in 2005 when I had to resign as advised by the President of AUF and AUFMC and assume the position of the Medical Director of AUFMC.
I learned that students who graduated from the problem based learning did not have very good  performance in the Physicians Licensure Examination hence it was decided for the School of Medicine to revert to the standard curriculum.  I felt It was the right move.  This was a drastic change both for the faculty and the students.
My task as the Department Head of Pediatrics was also challenging as far as the Residency Training Program of Residents is concerned.  The Philippine Pediatric Society  (PPS) continuously accredits the training program.  Just prior to my appointment the Head of the Department then , Dr. Rodolfo Ng laid down the structure and requirements of the residency training program and the Philippine Pediatric Society granted level I accreditation.  I continued this legacy and worked for the accreditation to Level II A. Level II A qualified residents to take the specialty Board of PPS.  There were several  challenging  issues and concerns on residents and consultants both for the training of residents and concerns of consultants in their medical practice. It took a lot of brainstorming and cooperation of the Consultant staff  to address all issues and concerns.      In 2005, I prepared to resign and devote more time to my family  with all my children who were then in college.  I thought it was a relief to have less academic and hospital responsibilities ,but then President Emmanuel Angeles gave me another task  to work as the Medical Director which I was not given a choice.  I always sought the President for advises and there were times I cried.  The President will always tell me stories of his life and I just move on.    I am now on my 10th year as the Medical Director, now under the Presidency of the youngest son, Atty Gabriel Martin Angeles since 2007. There was a shift in management and of course, changes came.
More challenges came as the new President was in full command.  There were more Guidleines and Policies instituted for the Medical and Nursing Services  which I work well with  a very supportive team with Dr. Suzette K.Monoz as the Director for Medical Services and Dr. Grace Brackett as the Director for Nursing Services.  Again we encountered some resistance from doctors  which we continuously address in consultation with the stakeholders.
II. Internal
My Values,  Strength , weaknesses, how do they affect on how you decide act
Coming from a very humble beginning , I appreciated every little thing I had , or given as token or reward  or  I was paid for.  I became very independent minded, trying to make major decisions in my life.  I feel so much the love and care of brothers , the eldest and second now in Canada.  I enjoy simple things like food, and story telling  in the company of my family.. The tears and the laughters I shared with my family and friends made me stronger to face challenges.    My parents were the best examples of hard work.  I was always ready to accept work as I have been used to since early childhood.  I worked harmoniously with co workers, Directors Dr. Suzette Munoz and Dr. Grace Brackett who are both proactive.  There some disagreements on some issues but at the end of the day we agree on what is best for AUFMC.
I always believe in prayers and I know GOD has always been with me.  I have always gathered my strength and have always been inspired by my parents and siblings and my co workers.   
I valued the support and love of my family.  Time is of the essence.  We don't waste time .  There is always something of value to do every minute of the day.
III. How do they prepare you for your future challenges..
I feel I have grown to be stronger and matured especially in decision making  through the years to face more challenges with all the experience I went through from childhood till I practice my profession as a Pediatrician , worked in the academe, in the hospital for the residency training program and in the top management of the hospital.
There were situations where I was not given a choice like assuming the chairmanship of the Department of Pediatrics at the AUF College of Medicine and AUFMC and at present the Medical Director position.    I simply wanted to excel as a Pediatrician, be a good mother and wife.  The opportunity may knock once which one may lose, but on my part  opportunities knocked many times. I am so grateful to President Emmanuel Y. Angeles  who must be instrumental to all these opportunities.  God gives me task continuously  call on me to take the tasks.  I answered with a  good heart and always pray to HIM for  divine guidance.
I face the future with my family as my inspiration and GOD as my provider.  Nothing is too big or too small for GOD to respond to. Sometimes in life there will be situations in which you will not have the resources nor  the choice but to take up the task . There will be circumstances beyond your control. Tests will come up, and that is when I need to trust GOD.  God Is my moving force.  My family will always be at my side in my success to give me the pat on my shoulders and arms and strength to give me assurance during my  challenging moments.

The subject on Leadership made me more realize the different perspectives of a leader: self awareness, ingenuity, love and heroism.
Thank you so much sir for molding us from what we are now and what we will be 
  
4  <Really Dra?  I thought that there was nothing more I could bring on the table for such a great head of a hospital.  Thank you for the kind words>

1 comment:

  1. Yes sir, I mean every word. The transformation is felt. To GOD be the glory

    ReplyDelete