Monday, July 20, 2015

MY GENOGRAM BY LEADER DR. SUZETTE K. MUNOZ

Hello po Prof. Here is my genogram to share. Thank you po.  <Thanks for being ahead of others Leader Dra. Suzette.  Being first is a hallmark of  leader. Great>

MY GENOGRAM BY LEADER DR. SUZETTE KABIGTING-MUNOZ
Mother Side:
  1. My Grandparents:
            Estefania Layug Cuyugan – my beloved grandmother, who was born August 2, 1896, two years before the American occupation of the Philippines. They were of humble beginnings. She went to the only existing schools the Cartilla, where they learned their alphabet and the Doctrina Christiana. She died of fulminating hepatitis last September 11, 1971. We fondly call her "Apu", a very remarkable mother and grandmother, an unselfish and caring human being. She is one of the most remarkable people I've had the pleasure of being with. She is still an inspiration to all of us. I named my daughter after her, Angelica "Stephanie" (modern version of Estefania).  She was a very good cook and she has always been a loving grandmother to all of us. She may not have been a leader in any organization, but her being a leader in the family in her own capacity has greatly influenced all of us in the whole Quizon clan, especially me as I was very close to her.  I mourned her loss but this inspired me to move on in my life because she would always tell me that she would like to see me be a very great doctor so that I could take care of her when she gets sick.
            Narciso Sicat Quizon – my grandfather who I have never gotten the chance to be with as he was already deceased when I came to being.  He was born on October 29, 1891. He was the overseer for the Santos-Ventura hacienda. I was told that my grandfather was a disciplinarian and a very good leader of the hacienda and he would always advised his people not to engage in jueteng, or any form of gambling. (imagine, jueteng was already existent during those years). I was told that he cares very much for his people and he would always consider their interests before his own. He was well loved. In March 1946, news was circulating that my grandfather had already been killed and murdered.  In June 1946, his remains were unearthed based on a tip from an informant.  His death at the hands of the Hukbalahap devastated the family.  He was caught between his loyalty to his employer and a band of marauding Huks.


    2.  Their Children:
  1. Natividad – the eldest, was born on December 25, 1917, but she diet in infancy.
  2. Anselmo – born on April 21, 1919 and deceased; education is unknown; I remember him to have stayed single because of chronic skin disease.
  3. Violeta – born on July 29, 1921; I remember her to have finished college, was a very good cook and died of a vehicular accident (run-over by Philippine Rabbit bus) when I was in 1st year Medicine proper.  She was our Nanny then.
  4. Inez – born on April 20, 1923 and is still alive and very keen until now.  She is an American citizen, residing in California. She is the great educator in the Quizon family and was the most intelligent. She has numerous accomplishments and has held numerous leadership positions in government service. She has had many local and international awards for her ingenuity and contribution to education. She was the toughest among the siblings and because she was a disciplinarian, she was disliked by some of her siblings, though her favorite was our family, the Kabigting family because she has so much respect for my mother and my father.
  5. Armando – born May 3, 1925; migrated to the US and so became an American citizen; education is unknown; he died of ruptured abdominal aneurysm in America.
  6. Luz – was born June 1, 1928.  She is my beloved mother and was a great loss to the family when she passed away last December 28, 2003 because of liver cirrhosis.  Of all the siblings, she was the one who was most loved, most respected and most caring.  According to her siblings, no one can surpass her generosity, empathy and compassion.
  7. Ricardo – born February 9, 1930; still alive but suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; previously connected with the Bureau of Plant Industry until retirement.
  8. Petronila – born on May 31, 1932; Still alive and residing in America and is also a US citizen; now retired but used to be a teacher in Mabalacat, Pampanga before migrating to the U.S.
  9. Corazon – I was told that she died of dysentery when she was two years old.
  10. Cristina – the youngest born on July 24, 1938; a very loving and caring aunt, also residing in the U.S., and passed away just recently, April 2015, of a chronic heart condition.
Father Side:
1.  My Grandparents
            Toribio Kabigting – my grandfather was one of the pioneering founders and Board of Trustees of Arayat Institute of Arayat, Pampanga.  He was born in 1897. He was a very good educator during his time and was an excellent translator of the English language to kampampangan dialect. He died of a heart disease in September 6, 1972.  He was President of many civic organizations and was a well-respected leader.  He was the one who paid for my books in high school, and he has always encouraged me to excel in my studies and to dream big in life. I have seen how he deals with his people, how he has shown compassion to them. You will not believe this, but it has been said that his funeral in San Fernando, Pampanga in 1972 was the most attended ever in Pampanga with mourners (both from Arayat where my grandfather resided and was well known and from friends of my parents who were really very influential and respected in Pampanga) occupying 10 kilometers stretch of the road.
            Brigida – my grandmother, whom we fondly call Apung Bidang, was born in 1898; she was a very simple, plain housewife who would just take care of my grandfather.  She died in September 27, 1973, a year after my grandfather, also of heart disease; education is unknown. She was always very supportive of my grandfather.
2. Their Children:
  1. Corazon – the eldest, born in 1920; education unknown; died of lung complications; she has 6 children.
  2. Noli – born in 1924; education unknown; she was a very good cook and baker; died of diabetes complications. She has 7 children who are all professionals.
  3. Rogie Kabigtingmy father, was born on January 14, 1926 and is still alive and will be celebrating his 90th birthday next year. He was the only appointed provincial sheriff of Pampanga.
  4. Aurora – born in 1928; still alive, a resident of the United States as an immigrant; was the former Dean of the College of Secretarial at the Holy Angel University. She has 4 children who are all professionals. Married to a journalist.
MY PARENTS:
Rogie Kabigting – now 89 years old and still up and about despite his numerous medical illnesses like hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, liver cirrhosis, gastric ulcers/polyps. He was the only provincial sheriff ever appointed in the Province of Pampanga.  He was a law graduate from the National University but did not take the Bar examinations. He was one of the most powerful and influential public officials, being a sheriff, in Pampanga.  He never entered politics, but was a very good campaign manager of many politicians, especially the Lazatin's of Angeles Pampanga.  He was known to be a womanizer (probably why up to now he still looks like a gigolo). Mind you, when he fell in love with my mom, he never allowed my mother to accept suitors, otherwise, he will hit them with his fist. When he came to my grandparents to ask for my mom's hand in marriage, he was already bringing the wedding gown, the invitations, and everything was set already, so there was no way they could say no to him. He was very well respected and assumed many leadership positions (president/chairman) of various civic and religious organizations.  A lot of people were scared of him and you can never mess with the Kabigting family, otherwise, he will gun you down.  But he follows the rules of law. I remember one time my youngest brother was caught by the police and brought to the police jail for drugs, but when my brother said his father was Rogie Kabigting, the police let my brother off the jail, but my father brought him back to jail so that he will learn from his mistake. He was very generous that is why none of our businesses flourished. He was generous in the wrong way and also could never say NO to his friends. That was the reason why our businesses were mismanaged. Too bad he did not think of taking MBA then!  He was a post-war US Veteran that is why he migrated to the United States in 1981, and he was the one who petitioned all of us.  In America, he never worked. He only assisted my mother in her business. After my mom died in 2003, the following year, he remarried. They have one adopted daughter who is now 7 years old.
Luz Quizon Kabigting – the 6th of the Quizon family, as stated above, she is very much loved and respected by practically ALL people.  My mother was an educator who taught Oriental and American History at the Lyceum of the Philippines (that is probably the reason why in high school, I excelled in these 2 subjects). After teaching, she pursued a career in the government, and was the Head of the Agricultural Credit Administration in Balagtas, Bulacan which was 2 ½ hours away from home, until retirement. I would always remember my mother fighting for the rights of her subordinates and all decisions to be made at her office would always be to what is to the best interest of the farmers, and the employees, as well.  I know this for a fact because she would always take me with her during our vacation and I have witnessed how she managed her office with utmost dedication and compassion. She was well loved by the farmers. She was also President of various civic and religious organizations, but with all these credits, she has remained humble and simple unlike my dad who became boastful of his accomplishments.  My mother was very hardworking and a very good mother.  We were not rich but my mother would give everything that we needed. She sacrificed a lot for us, and would even give her last breath for her children, and "isusubo na lang ibibigay pa sa amin." She taught us how to be independent in life.  Once a month, even if we have a lot of household help, she would teach us how to do the laundry and ironing.  And every time our helpers go on vacation, we would be the ones to do the household chores because she trained us to do them.  She would always tell us to treat our helpers with respect and dignity and has instilled in our hearts and minds that whatever we eat, it will be the same food that our helpers should eat. She emphasized this to us and had advised us to do this when we have our own families.  She is the author of the Kabigting Hospitality which I am very proud to have inherited from her.  Our home was open to everyone especially the needy and the less fortunate. My mother was a very good counselor to her many friends and colleagues. In the U.S., she put up a Board and Care facility for the elderly, which she managed with all dedication.  Every American elderly who were brought to her care were really treated by her as her very own mothers for she had taken really good care of them with love and compassion.  When she passed away in 2003, during her wake we had to rent and occupy 4 rooms to accommodate all the people mourning with us, and you would not believe how many people attended her funeral.  We were told by the administration at the Forest Lawn Memorial Park that this is the first time they had seen so many people attending a funeral there. This just shows how much my mother was dearly loved.
My siblings:
1.      Alex – born March 10, 1953, a U.S. citizen residing in America; he is now retired and is a cancer survivor. He is married for the 2nd time to a doctor pediatrician where they have one child who is now a practicing corporate lawyer in New York. He has a son from his first marriage. Alex was notorious and a tough guy when he was still living in the Philippines and it was because he was a "Kabigting". It is a good thing he changed to be a better person after his 2nd marriage with Emily.
2.      Cynthia – my twin sister, of course with same birthday as me, February 14, 1955. She finished medical school also at UST and finished residency training in Pediatrics here in the Philippines. She migrated to the US in 1982, and is a practicing Internist in Pennsylvania.  She has only one child who is a doctor of Pharmacy practicing in San Diego, CA.
3.      Josephine – born January 19, 1957. She finished AB Commerce at the Assumption College in Makati and worked as a flight stewardess.  She was the most beautiful among us and was the first Miss Pampanga during our younger years.  Also a US citizen residing in California and is a credit officer in a financial institution.  She also assumed leadership positions, i.e. as Class president and presidents in school organizations during her high school and college years.
4.      Susan – born April 10, 1959; graduated with honors from UP.  She was a great orator and a leader also, having assumed leadership positions in elementary, high school and college, as class president and president of other school organizations.  Also a US citizen residing in California and is still working as a principal in a public school.  She was the first to get married among us children, but this did not stop her from finishing her education. She has 4 living children who are all professionals and who themselves were leaders in their schools in America.
5.      Gina – born May 10, 1960, residing in Saudi Arabia.  She used to be a flight stewardess at Saudia Airlines.  She finished AB Commerce In UST. Got married to a British national who is a civil engineer connected with one of the businesses of the King of Saudi Arabia.They have one daughter who is into business in San Francisco, CA.
6.      Lillibeth – born June 28, 1961, resident in California.  She graduated from Dentistry in the University of the East.  She was also a diligent leader in high school in St. Scholastica's Academy (where we all studied). She gave birth to fraternal twins, one is now in pharmacy school and the other is a production manager with Lucas Films in San Francisco, CA. Her youngest, who was a class president in her junior and senior years, graduated valedictorian in high school, is a full scholar in electrical engineering in one of the prestigious schools in San Diego, CA.
7.      Alvin – born August 22, 1962; divorced with 4 kids, and is residing in Seattle Washington; He did not finish college but is working as a med-tech assistant in a good clinical laboratory; he is a reserve in the U.S. Army and is a black belter.
8.      Willie – born July 1961, and is now deceased.  He died of heart attack 2 hours after undergoing a spinal cord surgery at UST about 2 years ago.  He is our first death among our siblings; married with 2 kids who are both professionals now.  Willie worked in the U.S. Postal Service for a long time.
9.      Vivian – born September 28, 1960, also a U.S. citizen residing in California. She has 3 children, all girls. She finished B.S. Medical Technology at U.S.T. and is currently a licensed Med-tech in California. She is well loved by her peers because of her generosity. She works hard (2 full jobs) because she is supporting her children to school.  Her 2 girls are now in college. She was also a class president during her high school years in St. Scholastica' s Academy even if she did not belong to the star section.
CONCLUSION:
From my genogram, from both mother and father side, I believe I was born a leader, just like my other siblings, but I believe too that my leadership potential was further developed and enhanced in my growing up years. First manifestation probably of my being a born leader was in my younger years during elementary, where I would have always wanted to be at the first on the line for the flag ceremony and I brought this up to high school. To do this, I had to come early in school (I would not join my siblings who were brought to school with our private car, but rather I would take the public jeepney) and most of the time, I would even be earlier than the guard who would open the gates of the school.  In 2nd year high school, it was quite easy already because when I was elected class president till my senior year, the president assumes the first position on the line. I was very competitive, and I would always love to volunteer when the teacher asks for volunteers especially for activities involving civic works. There were quite a number of personalities, who became my role models, who I believe have contributed greatly in further developing my leadership skills. Several circumstances and events in my life have further unfolded the kind of leader I have become. Even my being a servant-leader was already instilled from my genes through my maternal grandfather, Narciso Quizon; my paternal grandfather, Toribio Kabigting; my maternal grandmother, Estefania Quizon; and of course from my very own beloved mother, Luz Quizon Kabigting. Definitely, my being a servant-leader was honed more when I surrendered my life to Jesus, who really was my role model in servant-leadership.  So, I should say, I was primarily born a leader, and secondarily developed to be a much better and effective leader.

1 comment: