Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Les Miserables' Jean Valjean and Leader Tristan Val Leonida (Campbell's)

Campbell's The Hero Stages
Les Miserables' Jean Valjean
Me
The Hero is Introduced in His Ordinary World
Jean Valjean was shown as a slave and was released.
I have been a slave of a job as a supervisor which I used to love.
The Call to Adventure
He has been given the opportunity to be parolee.
I was given the opportunity to apply for a new role which my boss believed I will love.
The Hero is Reluctant at First
Jean reverted back to his old ways by stealing the gold works in the monastery
I hesitated to push through with the application because I will have to leave the people I learned to work with as well as it will look like a demotion.
The Hero is Encouraged by the Wise Old Man or Woman
The monk/priest in the monastery encouraged him to do good by letting him take the gold and reminded him that God has plans for him.
I talked to my family, friends and workmates and they all see that I will shine through this new role because of my passion in inspiring people.
The Hero Passes the First Threshold
He accepted the gold and lived a clean life until he became the mayor of a town in France
I applied and made it through the series of interviews and became TI's OTD Officer.
The Hero Encounters Tests and Helps
Jean faced many challenges along the way. He felt that his country betrayed him. First, one of his employees died because of his doing. He was considered a fugitive because he was recognized by the officer who gave his parole order which he broke. On the other hand, he also had his wins by finding meaning to his life when he took care of Cosette, the child who gave him happiness.
As an OTD Officer, I faced a lot of challenges. I had moments wherein I need to be against the people who I used to work with because of the demand of my job. I had my mishaps in major company events because of my failure to focus on small details. Just like Jean, I also had my wins. I always feel satisfied each time I hear compliments with the way I handle trainings and when people say that I am a good fit to my role.
The Hero Reaches the Innermost Cave
Jean was put into test when the Revolution broke and that he needed to choose if he will help free France or think of himself and just flee. He then realized that despite the bad things that happened, he will still stand by his country.
I was put into the greatest test when my boss decided to let me handle the reaccreditation of the factory in the TS (ISO) Audit. My task is to make sure that the entire factory is compliant to the requirements of the certifying body in terms of Personnel Management. I was torn to lie and show a clean record or stand by our standards and ethics to make sure that we are truly compliant. I stood by our ethical standards.
The Hero Endures The Supreme Ordeal
Jean Valjean and the revolutionists won the war.
We ended the audit with zero audit findings.
The Hero Seizes the Sword
Jean Valjean realized that despite all the bad things the political system brought him, he is still responsible to make it better.
I realized at this point that my new role will surely challenge the relationships I built in my years as a supervisor but I know in my heart that this will all be worth it because this will surely help all of us in the company.
Resurrection
As he escapes the busy world, he found himself in a monastery where he stayed on his remaining days.
The lessons I learned from this one-month do-or-die audit preparations have taught me the ins and outs of my new role. It was a crash course in disguise which made my succeeding days easier to handle since I have faced my greatest battle so far.
Return with Elixir
Jean died but was able to reunite with his adoptive daughter Cosette. In heaven, he saw the people that has helped him survive the challenges in his life.
I am not in this phase but I can say that I am beginning to appreciate the weird choices as early as elementary- why I love to perform in an audience, I love to write, sing, dance and act. I now understand that all these happened because I will need that boost of confidence to stand in front of people and protect the company I believe in.

--
Regards,

Engr. Tristan Val L. Leonida
HR | Organization and Talent Development
TI (Philippines), Inc.
+639175127654

No comments:

Post a Comment