Friday, July 31, 2015

Reflection Paper #2 by Bien Patrick M. Velasquez, thanks prof.

WHAT SHAPED ME TO BECOME A LEADER I AM NOW
                As a leader at the very young age. I learned how to handle things and to become effective by simply reflecting the past. One thing I learn is that, in order to become an effective leader, you must look into the past. Learnings from the past is very important especially for a young leader like me. I was assigned at present to become a manager and what I do is to reflect on those things that my father did in his young age as a leader, the do's and don'ts in becoming effective to your employees. This will help you to shape your leadership style and preferences in order to become effective and a better leader. It's not just about talent, passion, an effective leader is effective when determination and hard work is present. For me, this needs to be combined with another important factor which is often overlooked. I was shaped by my father and continuously shaping me for the future and making him my very own role model. Not just a role model from my father but most especially to this people who inspires me and are qualified to look u to them and be a role model for me. Role models you can learn from, gain guidance and seek direction, mentoring and support to progress your career.  Get this advantage of great leaders, great role models early in your career and your daily habits, planning techniques, technical skills and other key skills are accelerated from the start. Learning the habits and behaviours of average and poor leaders has the opposite effect on your leadership effectiveness. School also shaped me a lot and helps me to enhance my talents and boost my self-esteem and learnings. Within the school are hundreds to thousands of students, all from different backgrounds, with different beliefs, different values, and different abilities, all coming together with different focuses in life. In most cases, these students all share one building, and many of them also share one goal, and that goal is to become accepted. Just like here in Ateneo I've learned a lot and still learning from different successful leaders specially those who overcome all their trials and struggles in life, I admire them so much. At present I am one of the three official Spinning coaches here in Pampanga. i was able to inspire other people in different field. In this way I can be an instrument in motivating them to become physically fit and be healthy. This also helps me to mature and become an effective leader. Leader for my students every time I walk in to that stage and present to them the proper way of the exercise. I believe that these have shaped me as a leader.


MY FAMILY/ FRIENDS/ ORGANIZATION VALUES/ STRENGTHS and WEAKNESSES
                My family serves as an inspiration at the same time teachers to me, guiding me according me and moulding me to really become an effective leader. They are my mentors and coaches in every decision and in every aspect on how to deal with different kinds of circumstances. They enlighten me that what I am doing right now has a huge purpose for the future. I have learnt that leadership is not about personal success, what really matters is that our generation succeed as one. If there are challenges, I know I must face them for and with my friends, my community, my generation and especially for my family. Through my coaches, friends and the organization, I have learnt that being patient and listening rather than talking is very important. I have also learnt that breaking funding applications down into manageable parts is the way to complete them. I truly believe that to lead and equip my team with the best training possible that I had to understand every aspect of the role I was asking of them to undertake. That is the reason I took the licensure exam for embalming and even did small jobs that my employees are doing inside the company.
The values a family develops are traditionally the foundation for how children learn, grow and function in their lifetime. I acquire my values first at home thru my family. Second is by the learnings and values from the school attended with. True values I think for me is driven and given from our parents. Values influence leaders' perception of individual for the success of the business and success in the future.  Values play an important role in interpersonal relationships especially when it comes to business in order to be effective. Values from my family also provides me to differentiate between right and wrong. I consider my weaknesses as a lesson and part of experience in life. My weaknesses are overcome by my strengths, I use them as a challenge and inspiration in order for me to succeed. I know at this young age, my weaknesses and strength are limited, as I grow up and experience life, my strength and weaknesses will continue to increase and I will make sure to face it and become a true effective warrior and a leader. In order to overcome my weaknesses, I am becoming more of a listener and a doer. I often call the attention of my father, friends for help and suggestion to support me in making decisions.
HOW DO THEY PREPARE ME FOR FUTURE CHALLENGES?
                My life today is full of struggles, complications, commitments etc. In this world, every day is a challenge. We must face them accordingly with whole heart and compassion. All of this creates a strong foundation in order to make me stronger in facing all circumstances and struggles that I will be facing in the future. They also share things that made them stumble in the road in order for me what to do in case of encounter on those things. I will follow the footsteps of my Grandfather and my dad that is very effective until today. They are also helping me on how to deal with money, savings vs expense, is it too much or not? They are always beside me in every question that I'm asking them. Lastly the important factor they are teaching me is on how to solve problems by myself and create my own decision, in his way they can see my capacity in handling problems. I will continue to pray and help my businesses to grow even further and I hope in the future, I will be a successful leader just like them. They are developing my communication, sense of humour, commitment ability to inspire and many more. I would like to develop this skills and become a true effective leader someday. Leadership and Management skills are two qualities that must go hand in hand. To become a leader is to be able to manage tasks as well as people efficiently. A good leader is someone who can communicate the right thoughts in the most effective manner as well as listen to others views and comments patiently. While some people are blessed with great leadership as well as management qualities, there are others who work hard on becoming the perfect boss. Leaders certainly have a never- ending list of responsibilities to take care of and it is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Qualities like persuading and inspiring are just some of the keys to lead effectively. Thank God for all the people that are helping me to achieve my goals and become successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment