Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Reflection Paper #2 - Factors that Shaped Me as a Leader

REFLECTION No. 2
Karen Kay L. Guanzon
WHAT SHAPED ME TO BECOME THE LEADER I AM NOW?
EXTERNAL FACTORS:
The external factors that shaped me to become the leader I am now are my family, friends, school, my previous employer and officemates and my employees now. These are the factors that helped me to go through the process of being a leader.
School is very important for us professionals and leaders. It is our school that hones us to become one. We all know that education is very important however; I am not saying that an uneducated man has no chance of being successful; there is always an exemption. But most of us will agree that an educated person gets better opportunities in life. Education helped me to keep up with the world; it helped me to adapt to all the changes and thought me to always be ready especially in our world today that things are rapidly changing. To be a leader you need to earn respect and know how to give one. Education thought me how to be respected and how to be respectful. And I believe that the more educated you are, the more respect you will get from those around you. Also, educational degree is considered as a proof of your knowledge. If you are educated you have more chances of being heard and taken seriously. That is what a leader needs, to be heard and to be taken seriously. Being an MBA student of AGSB gave me a lot of pride. I saw the improvement on how people treat me. They became more respectful and they do take me more seriously. It is also a plus factor when facing my business partners.


            My previous employer and officemates - Before I became an entrepreneur I was employed at GMA Network Inc. After graduating in college I was lucky to be given a chance to work with the one of the biggest television network in the country. I have learned a lot from the three years I've been working there. I may not be in the position to be a leader but in my own way I was able to help in leading our team especially when we have deadlines. The promotion that was offered by my boss before made me realize that I can do better and the recognition made me feel that I have the potential to be successful. I was also inspired by our boss, because I saw how she professionally handles problems in the office and I saw how she treat all her employees fairly.
Family and friends are the most important external factors that helped me to be a leader; they are the one who influences me to do my best all the time. Whenever I feel like giving up they are there to motivate me. My family is my inspiration especially my daughter; she is the reason why I am striving hard, I want to give her a good life and make her experience the life that my parents gave me. My being a single mother gave me the prowess to face all the challenges that come through my way. My situation also inspired me to push myself to built my own business and make it successful. My dad was a leader for a long time, he runs a lot of businesses; I idolize him when it comes to running a business. He always gives me advices on how to handle my people and the business itself.
            My workers are also one of the factors that helped me to become the leader that I am now. They let me handle things on my way. They also give their inputs and suggestions for the betterment of the company. My workers opinions helps me to determine how to handle them and from where I will be putting myself. I believed that being the boss does not mean that you know everything, your people could help you to be a better and effective boss.
INTERNAL FACTOR – values, strength, weaknesses and how do they affect on how to decide/act
            These internal factors have a great control on how a person decide or act. We first learn our values at home; those values that we enhance outside our home, it can be in school, in our workplace or anywhere. One of the values both my grandparents and parents thought me is to have fear to the Lord, so whenever I make a decision I always look at it if there's any unethical issues. My mom tells me all the time that is should always think of the welfare of my employees, that I couldn't be selfish when making a decision/s. I am the kind of boss that the employees can approach especially if they have problems, which can be financially, and work related.
            Strength and weaknesses can also influence anyone's decision making. My weaknesses are hindrance to my success or to my journey towards being a great leader. I am pessimistic; when I am given a tough situation I always think of the worst outcome, that's why I am having a hard time making a decision in times like that. I am also a worrier; I kind of over think when problem/s arises and I am very sensitive to negative criticisms. My strength somehow helps me to overcome my weaknesses. I am very open to suggestions and I often ask others for their opinion/s especially on tough situations. I may also be querulous but I have patience. I know how to wait for the right time and I know what I deserve. I don't expect too much especially if I know that I am not giving my 100%. And I believe that too much expectation can hurt you.
HOW DO THEY PREPARE YOU FOR YOUR FUTURE CHALLENGES?
            Both external and internal factors in our life play an important role in facing our future challenges. Knowing all those factors can help me determine what to apply when challenges comes my way. In order to face all the challenges appropriately, I will continue to practice all the values that my grandparents and my parents thought me and every thing that I have learned. I will also look at ways in order to overcome my weaknesses and make my strengths stronger.
            As for being an entrepreneur, I will always practice everything my dad thought me. I will push myself everyday to do better for my business to flourish. Lastly, I will continue in believing that too much expectation can hurt you. 3
           

No comments:

Post a Comment