Thursday, July 23, 2015

Roots (Genogram) of Leader Karen Kay L. Guanzon

MY GENOGRAM
Karen Kay L. Guanzon

Mother Side:

My Grandparents:

> Felix Diamson Lapid – Born in Sta. Rita Pampanga. We call him "Apo". His parents were both teachers. Apo also became a teacher; he is a music teacher at Sta. Rita Central School. His students say that he is very strict when teaching; he always brings a stick in the class. My mother told me that he was very strict not only in school but also in the house. He died because of Cancer.

> Remedios De jesus Lapid – Born in Sta. Rita Pampanga. Her mother is a landowner for farming. We call her "ima". She was undergraduate. My mom said that on my ima's time there were only few who finish schooling. She is a dressmaker who loves making the same dresses for my mom and me. She is a very caring grandmother; she helped on taking care of most of her apos. For a while she lived in our house to take care of me because both of my parents were busy on their businesses. She died because of heart attack.




Apo and Ima's Children:

1. Femy Lapid Dizon – The eldest, graduated Commerce at Far Eastern University. She settled at Davao with his husband and 2 kids and worked at BIR.
2. Jose Lapid (deceased) – He did not finish college but he was able to work at Timberland Hotel, Sta. Cruz Manila as a bellboy. He has three kids and his wife is a dressmaker. Died this year because of Lung Cancer.
3. Leonardo Lapid – He graduated Commerce at Far Eastern University and worked at DEPED. He is now retired and settled at Tarlac with his family.
4. Mario Lapid (deceased) – He did not finish college but also worked at Timberland Hotel, Sta. Cruz Manila as bellboy. He has three kids. He died because of Cirrhosis
5. Remedios Lapid Guanzon – My Mother. Born on February 13, 1949. Graduated Commerce at Far Eastern University. Before she got married, she worked at Insular life as a secretary of the agents and Philippine Catalogue as an Assistant Manager. When she married my father she worked at my father's family business (rice mill) and my dad's businesses (real estates). She helped my father on running all of his businesses. Although she was busy working and helping my father, she never fails to be a mother to us. She is both a hands-on mother and wife.
6. Vicente Lapid (deceased) – The youngest. He is also an undergraduate but he was able to build a small business with his friends. He and his family settled at Manila. Although life was not easy on them, he and his wife was able to put their three kids to college and now my cousins have good careers. He died because of Multiple Organ Failure.


Father Side:

My Grandparents:

> Paulino Lilles Guanzon – He graduated Mining Engineer at MAPUA Institute. We call him Papang. His family was into businesses. The Guanzon's ventured into different businesses like ricemill, sugarcanes, fishpond and real estate. Before he got stroke, he was very hands-on with their family businesses, he does almost all the transactions. When I was born, Papang already had a stroke; I was not given the chance to bond with him. My siblings and cousins told me that he is a spoiler; he gives almost everything that his apos want. My dad told me that Papang knows how to run a business and he knows how to hold money. Papang became bed ridden for a long time and died because of the complications of his stroke.
> Rosario Bakani Guanzon – Daughter of a doctor and a housewife, she is the second amongst the three siblings. She graduated Commerce at Assumption University in Manila. Her family was based in Guagua Pampanga. We call her Mamang. She was a very caring mother to her children, a very caring grandmother to her apos and also very caring aunt to her nephews and nieces. Mamang became involved with Papang's businesses. She is usually in charge with the financial side of the business. When her siblings died he took care of everything that was left by her siblings for her nephews and nieces. She was also very active in the church, she has a group who helps our parish church on every project that they have. She is love by everyone; when people ask me if I am her apo they always tell good things about her on how kind she is. She died at the age of 92 only this year because of complications due to her age.

Papang and Mamang's Children:

1. Armando Guanzon – The eldest, born on May 11, 1947. Graduated Business Management at UE. He does not have any formal work experience in any company but he worked on his father's businesses. He has only one child and her wife worked at PNB as a manager. He died because of Lung Cancer.
2. Erlinda Guanzon – She did not finish her schooling and always depend on her parents.
3. Federico Guanzon – My Father. The youngest, born on July 11, 1950. Graduated Business Management at Ateneo de Manila University. He is a true blue Atenean, from grade school to college. Among the siblings he was the one who became involved with the businesses of my grandparents. I saw how my grandmother depends on him when it comes to their businesses. He is a serious person; most of the time when he has a problem he keep it to himself and he makes himself very affected with it. He always thinks what other people might think and tell about him or on his family. He does not want people to have any negative impressions on him. My dad built his own business before; he became involve in trucking, which did not last and real estate that still exists up to now. Before, he also ventured into restaurant (Patria's) with my mom. My dad became a number one Councilor in our hometown, a PELCO director, also one of the stockholders of Sattlink (Cable Company in
Guagua) and still a stockholder of two Chowking restaurants in Pampanga. When it comes to business, he is the one person our family can rely on. He helps my cousin and brother build GG&G Distributors Inc. and he also helped me build my own business. My dad was very supportive to his children, he is also both protective and strict, and he is a very good provider. He died last February 15, 2015 because of Multiple Organ Failure.

My Siblings:

1. Ria Ross Guanzon Galfo – The eldest, born in July 23, 1978. Graduated Computer Science at Dela Salle University, She was consistently in the star section when she was in high school and a Deans Lister in her college days. She never ventured in any businesses but she is very successful in the career that she chose. My ate's first job was a Consultan – Business Analyst, Dairy Farm Hong Kong at Headstrong Inc. now GENPACT and now she is a Vice President – Project Manager/Senior Business Analyst at BNY Mellon, New York. She is currently living in New Jersey with her husband and two kids.
2. Paul Michael Guanzon – My kuya, born in August 28, 1979. Graduated Business Management in St. Benilde. He does not have any formal work experience in any company but he is one of the brains in building GG&G Distributors Inc, together with my cousin Patrick (son of Armando Guanzon). He is now the VP for Operation of GG&G Dist. Inc.

CONCLUSION:
Looking at my family history I can assume that the path that I am taking right now is mostly in line with my father's family. Guanzon's are into business, from the time of my great grandparents up to the time of my father. Looking at my genogram, both sides have leaders in the family. I believe that being a leader runs in our genes. I may not be a great leader but I know that I am a leader. I was able to run my own business and I was able to survive all the challenges that come through my way.
Most of my uncles might not finished college but I saw how they strive in their own ways to be able to provide for their families. Somehow it made me realize how important the essence of family on our family.
This exercise also made me realize that I am like my dad when it comes to handling problems and like my mom I also experienced how to have a boss before being the boss. This exercise made me appreciate all the hard works my ancestors did, for us to have the life that we are experiencing right now. It also inspires me to strive harder to be able to continue my father's legacy. For now I will continue on making my business successful, continue my studies and continue on helping my mother on pursuing what my father have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment