Sunday, July 26, 2015

Reflection on the Hotly contested song, "Greatest Love of All"

'Quamplurimi et quam aptisimi" (As many as possible of the very best)



The sponsors of the videoke cum gesture, guess the next three letters said that this song is on the list top leadership song.  Let us examine the lyrics:   (copied from Metro Metrolyrics )

I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
Everybody searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone who fulfill my needs
A lonely place to be
So I learned to depend on me


[Chorus]
I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I'll live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
LearniI believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
Everybody searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone who fulfill my needs
A lonely place to be
So I learned to depend on me
[Chorus]
I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I'll live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all
I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
[Chorus]
And if by chance, that special place
That you've been dreaming of
Leads you to a lonely place
Find your strength in love

My reflection:

1.  I believe that our children are our future

     We must train our children to be leaders.  And challenges are their teachers;   We may never have future leaders if we pamper or spoil them.

    Training young leaders is an important task, as TI TV Leonida has been doing

    We need to be laugh and be like children at times (as we did last Saturday)

    We have to have mental models, templates that keep us forever young, to live curious

2.  Everybody is searching for a hero.

    We look up to role models, we benchmark great leaders and heroes.

    Reminds us of Joseph Campbell's monomyth.

    Mariah Carey's song reminds us that there is a hero inside us.
3.        I never found anyone who fulfill my needs
          A lonely place to be
         So I learned to depend on me

         Being a leader means being alone.  Or lonely.  A lot of people would gravitate towards you if you are in a position of wealth and power.  But all people who come you are in need of something - a  promotion, a deal, etc.  or a psychophants. But will abandon on the Day 1 that you are retired or transferred.  I saw my father, a middle manager of DOF undergo this experience.

       And so being a leader means building your inner strength, your own convictions and value system and sticking to these as go through your journey.  

4.   I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows

      Dont be a copycat. Dapat orig..

      This is what we are talking about -  "authentic leadership" 

5        No matter what they take from me
          They can't take away my dignity
Still part of authentic self, of personal awareness and self mastery of EQ by Daniel Goleman. We are who we are.  Not what our friends and relatives say who we are.  Intrigues, or challenges or events cant change or take away your dignity.  We remain who we are no matter who we are. ( Mariah Carey has a song that refers to this too, again).   So prison term, punishment, cant take away your personhood.  In the movie, Pompei, one of the gladiators said, that when you die in the arena, you die a freeman, a man with dignity.   Finally you are liberated.
6.   Show them all the beauty they possess inside 
      Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
      Be positive.   Motivate your people.  Have high expectations.  Love your people.
      Note how this author asked each of the students to address ourselves as "Leader"
7.  Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
     That is what we did last Friday.  We had fun.  We had games.  Nagwala tayo, we let our hair down.
     Which reminds us that the child is the father of the man in Behavioral Science, Psychology.
8.  Find your strength in love
  This is the topic of our 3rd Reflection Paper.  About our Passion.
   This is Steve Jobs famous mantra:   " Do what you love and love what you do"
    "Keep interested in your career, not matter how humble " Desiderata
    "Nothing great in this world has been accomplished without passion  " George Hegel

17 comments:

  1. The Greatest Love of All - Leadership Version is very much enlightening. I will use this as a guide in my leadership tasks in life. thank you prof for this in depth analysis. Thank you for taking time to discuss this for us.
    Leader Charmie Arribe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ito yata po yong tinatawag at binabanggit nilang discernment. At CAT. Critical and Analytical Thinking which are our tools for decision making (still part of leadership) That is an advantage of an MBA grad, or an MD for that matter...

      Delete
  2. Ma. Corazon Q. GuevarraJuly 26, 2015 at 8:13 PM

    Hi Prof! This is one of my favorite songs that is why I was at the top of my voice when we sang it last Friday. An inspiring song indeed. We, as leaders, are tasked to teach and guide our children to make them better leaders. I believe that above everything else, as a mother, this is my no. 1 responsibility which I am trying to do with the best that I can. A lot of realization in this timeless song. Love for oneself does not mean being self-centered, It means loving ourselves so we can give more love to others.Thank you Prof. God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sa inyo pala ang angelic voice noon...Leader VP Cora

      Delete
  3. The song has a powerful message and it hits you directly in the heart, very timely on our journey to self awareness and authentic leadership. Let us radiate LOVE inside and outside. Love oneself first then it is easy to love others. Believe in oneself so others will believe us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the mantras of Chris Lowney - pillar of Leadership More love than fear. Thanks for the comment. Leader Anne

      Delete
  4. Leader Dr. SuzetteJuly 26, 2015 at 9:04 PM

    Thank you Prof for sharing us your reflection on that beautiful song. Greatest Love of All is God's love for us for giving His only Begotten Son to save us from our sins. No greater love than His for sacrificing His only Son for his love for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told everyone, I am like you am learning from you, and is still a student, just like everyone else. So I continue doing this. The reflection I am glad stimulated, started a discussion. Thank you Leader Suzette

      Delete
  5. Leader Belle S. KatigbakJuly 26, 2015 at 9:21 PM

    Very well reflected Prof. I could identify with each word in the song. I sang it with passion last Friday, pa emote-emote pa. I like especially these lyrics, “I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
    If I fail, if I succeed, at least I'll live as I believe, No matter what they take from me, They can't take away my dignity”. They reminded me of Viktor Frankl’s “Man’s Search for Meaning”. While in the concentration camps during the holocaust period, Frankl was stripped naked, and yet he was able to say that they can take away everything from him, including his body, but not his soul”. He also wrote, “The salvation of Man is through love and in love. I understood how a man who has nothing left in this world still may know bliss, be it only for a brief moment, in the contemplation of his beloved.”
    And so I continue singing, “Because the greatest love of all Is happening to me, I found the greatest love of all inside of me”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pious and very deep comment Leader Belle. Thank you for sharing

      Delete
  6. We don't have to be Alexander to be called Great. All we need is Love. Love conquers all. This Love is inside us, we just need to let it flow...just like the song said it is easy to achieve. It starts with ourselves then share it with others. To be Great is to Love; and Love is a mark of an authentic Leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Leader Oliver simplifies the message of this course. Well said sir... Happy birthday again

      Delete
  7. That's the POWER of LOVE Sir. LOVE is a big word, a feeling that should be put into action. One feeling associated with LOVE is gratitude. We should always be THANKFUL no matter what are the circumstances --good or bad. For these circumstances or experiences can be converted to learnings (wisdom) which is constructive (subjective). You must discover your strength,weaknesses,values,etc. (Self-awareness) so you may show selflessness by serving the Lord through others (Authentic Leadership).

    If there is success planning among family businesses, there must also be succession planning in Leadership. I personally would like to have at least 6 children and I am very much challenged to teach them to be great leaders at their own rights.This is a challenge..this calls for an authentic leader by example. ☺

    God bless,

    RCee Mutuc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand you chose this song for the videoke contest. Well done Leader Rcee

      Delete
  8. I love the song and the message. Our children are our future. We live in the image of our children what they will be is what we make them. We must be their models. As leaders we face the world with courage. Even great leaders have failures and in these failures they regain strength and more determination to succeed. The song is so appropriate for Leadership. Thanks Ptof for your reflection and being young at heart to sing and emote The Greatest Love of all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Leader Dra and Dra Suzette are truly very young at heart. Thanks for being with me all the time to show that it is good to be old because any time you can show how young we are at heart and mind. Great comment Leader Daisy.

      Delete
  9. Jenieryll Jomarie MangalindanJuly 28, 2015 at 10:27 PM

    Sabi nga ni Rizal ang kabataan ang pag-asa ng bayan and so we should train them to be a leader. They will be the next generation to lead our country, our family and the world. And as a parent, I understand the value of being a role model. Do the right thing, most of the times our children will copy what we do and adapt it as they grow old. Yes we need to guide them but let them fly to find their wings, let them fall for in the failure they will find courage as they get up. This is one of the trait that leader should have.

    Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it."

    ReplyDelete