Thursday, July 16, 2015

LIMITLESS compared to Joseph Campbell's "The Hero has a Thousand Faces" and my life story -RCEE MUTUC-

LIMITLESS
compared to Joseph Campbell's  "The Hero has a Thousand Faces" and my life story
Leader-RCEE MUTUC-
Before I chose this movie, I was not aware that we will need to compare it with our life story but I will connect it later anyway. Since we have a lot of doctors in the class, I wanted to share a movie related with medication. May I show you the movie preview before I can discuss the movie compared to Joseph Campbell's "The Hero has a thousand face". The preview may show you the synopsis of the movie. Limitless Movie Trailer Official (HD)





THE ORDINARY WORLD
  • An aspiring writer, Eddie Morra, is a loser at work and romance.
  • He was trying to write a book but haven't started any word on his book project for more than two weeks already. His girlfriend broke up with him for being such a loser. Eddie in this movie is the hero I'd like to compare with Campell's Monomyth and Archetypes.
ARCHETYPES APPEARING IN THE HERO'S JOURNEY
  • HEROES – EDDIE MORRA
THE CALL TO ADVENTURE/REFUSAL OF THE QUEST
·      Recently dumped by girlfriend Lindy, he is walking back home when he meets his former brother-in-law
Vernon.
·      Vernon gave him a pill that can access the use of his brain from 20% (which is the normal) to 100%. As for Eddie, he has a choice of accepting the call or not. If he choose not to take the drug, he will continue with his loser-kind of life but if he will take it, he might have an advantage from the promised result from the drug.


ARCHETYPES APPEARING IN THE HERO'S JOURNEY
  • HERALD: The one who brings the Call to Adventure. VERNON (Ex-brother-in-law)
ACCEPTING THE CALL
·      Vernon gives him an experimental drug called NZT to increase his creativity.
·      So he accepted the drug and took it for curiosity's sake. And then…the results were amazing for him. He finished half of his book in 1 day and haggled an advance payment. He can now access his short-term and long-term memory and it helped him a lot in all facet of his life. But it only lasted for 6 to 8 hours
ENTERING THE UNKNOWN
·      Eddie finds the results are more than impressive and decides to seek out Vernon to ask for more pills.
·      The effects of the drug was amazing and he wanted more. But a visit to Vernon's house leads him to a dead body. Eddie dutifully calls the police but pockets the NZT he finds hidden in a stove with a large amount of money. He used the stash of NZT to keep the effect on him in a long period of time and he used the big amount of money on stock market investment since he knew he can double it up because of his new acquired intelligence.
ARCHETYPES APPEARING IN THE HERO'S JOURNEY
  • SHADOWS: Gennady
  • This got the attention of a criminal called Gennady. He borrows US$ 100,000 from Gennady who in turn takes an NZT pill. When Gennady used the NZT, he used his new intelligence to do evil stuff. If Eddie will continue transacting with these gangsters, he might end up being bad as well.
SUPERNATURAL AID: LINDY
·      Good thing, Lindy, his ex-girlfriend is still there for him even if they have broken up already. She was there to guide him to think things through. She gave Eddie space to grow and to find himself amidst all the distractions and new intelligence. Lindy without the pill is excelling in her career and has a sane and principled head on her shoulders
ALLIES/HELPERS: LINDY
·      That made Lindy her Ally or Helper.
TALISMAN
·      NZT PILL
·      His Talisman was the NZT pill because with this item, he enters the unknown and he becomes powerful. It is up to him on what he will do with his new found talent, skill or power.
ARCHETYPES APPEARING IN THE HERO'S JOURNEY
  • SHAPESHIFTERS: represents change. NZT PILL
TESTS & THE SUPREME ORDEAL
·      Meanwhile, the powerful investor Carl Van Loon brings Eddie to work in his team in a merging operation. But Eddie is chased by a stranger and pressed by Gennady that want the NZT, threatening his life.
·      Besides that it gave him 100% access and use of his brain, the side effects got its toll on him. Some of the side effects: he cannot remember some of his days, he forgets to eat, he became aggressive to the point he unknowingly murdered someone, he degraded physically if he forgets to drink the pill before it loses its effect on him. So the real test was to overcome the side effects of the drug or else he will die and how will he get rid of the people who wanted to take advantage of him.
ARCHETYPES APPEARING IN THE HERO'S JOURNEY
  • THRESHOLD GUARDIANS: jealous enemies CARL VAN LOON
·      He wanted to take advantage of Eddie's wit by asking him to work for him.
REWARD AND THE JOURNEY HOME
·      Because of all this challenges He wanted to stay focused on his goal: His plan of marrying Lindy. So for him to do that he has to maintain the result of the NZT pill to his life less the negative side effects.
MASTER OF TWO WORLDS/ RESTORING THE WORLD
·      Eddie became a senator and while Carl Van Loon wanted to take advantage of his wit he did not let him blackmail him by shutting down his NZT pill laboratory. Eddie came prepared by asking a chemist take the bug out of the pill then he slowly stopped using it until he got the effect of the pill without actually taking it anymore.
REAL WORLD
·      Funny that after watching the movie the first time, my husband and I overheard on CNN News that there was already a drug that is just like in the movie, limitless. It says it can enhance the use of your brain from 20% to 100%. This picture is just one of the many brands. I asked myself, why is this news presented to me at this given time and situation where I just watched the movie last night? Then I came to a reflection.
MY STORY
Well, I have not used any type of illegal drugs, just for the record. I don't need any drug or pill. I am alive and I have this natural high in life. Maybe the NZT pill in my life, if I may relate, would be my journey to learning new experiences, learning from books, learning from the stories of great people and the like. Before I was blind, but now I see.
            (story of my Superior IQ vs. lethargic and apathetic) My grades since I started studying were all line of 'palakol', line of 7. My school was just a stone thrown away but I was always late. I take tests out of stocked knowledge and of course by getting away with cheating with classmates. I was barely average academically. I was just studying for the sake of finishing and passing high school. Until one day, our guidance counselor called me in the office. She was asking me how I answered the IQ test she gave us. I honestly told her that I simply answered it. She was looking at me eye to eye, seems like digging my soul for confession.
            I bluntly asked her why. I thought all of us would be called one by one for discussion of our test results. She said, "I called you because your IQ test score was even higher than the student council president but it does not show in your grades and performance at school. You have superior IQ!" At first I was surprised. I mean really, am I that smart? You can only measure it if you have something or someone to compare it with. Then it came to me, I somewhat reflected on our conversation. When I got home I realized that I could be better. I can use my God-given skills and talent.
            I am still shy type until now but I always push myself to be out there. Out there so that people may know my story, my achievements, my success. I may not be vocal with my achievements sometimes because I feel like it is kind of bragging or being boastful at times. On second thought, communication with others through story-telling (specially of your life) is just one way of explaining a leadership point. Thank you for my husband for leading by example on how to be vocal. I just have to choose, if I continue being reserved, there may be no learning for others. I may not build my legions of leaders. This is still a challenge for me but I just have to keep in mind that my purpose of being vocal is so that other people may learn from my experiences because if not, it will just be an excuse to grow.
            QUESTION
  • Who of us would like to become a perfect version of ourselves?
  • Think of you own 'NZT PILL'. 
Vg. for a first presentation.  Now others can follow  4



No comments:

Post a Comment