Friday, July 10, 2015

Reflection Paper 1- Engr. Tristan Val Leonida

A Different Path of Leadership
Tristan Val Leonida, ECE

On my first class in MBA, the first question my professor asked is the definition of leadership. Ironic as it sounds but I can't think of any. People have defined the concept of leadership in different ways. Some easily associate leadership with influence or power or position. Others say leadership is a responsibility, a calling or even a vocation. Some leaders are born and some believe they are made. Some are planned and some just rise in the moment of need. As a young boy in a quiet town a few hours from our province center, I defined leadership as a popularity contest.

My first model of leadership is our mayor. He is always called honorable in all occasions. He is the star of our municipality. Leadership for me is equal to sheer charisma and well, popularity. He is always welcomed to the podium through a very long introduction which all his laurels are listed in a manner that people will just be in awe for his presence. It's the only form of leadership I knew. Growing up, my desire to be popular and achieve that position journeyed with me. Luckily, I have been blessed by a decent singing voice and command of the English language which gave me a bit of an advantage in literary-musical competitions – my gateway to the spotlight. My path to my own definition of leadership gave me the opportunity to meet people, to see places and to hear stories. Stories that defy my philosophies - which leadership is not all about being popular or having a lot of achievements, but as soon as I get stuck in my own corner of the world, I am drifted to my old ways. Politicians are community builders and shakers, I see them as Gods. They can build structures with their signatures and topple down people when they see they are threatened. They are the most likable creatures of the high society. They get the front-row seats and they get the most Honorable title in a daily basis.

With that drive to gain a leadership role, my talents and confidence helped me reach my childhood dream. When I was elected president of the student council and several councils later on, I thought I am in full circle and that I can play God and change what I think is wrong in a wave of a hand. Then, I realize that people are complicated. I have seen first-hand that quick changes are quick sand. I lost some friends and soon lost some battles. They say that student councils are training grounds for leadership and for me, my losses were my great teachers.

Losing twice in a row in the student council race, I was disappointed and was ready to focus more on being a student, but a blessing came and I was chosen to be part of a gathering of 75 promising student leaders of the country. At first, I thought that this will help me finally win the election never thinking that it will not only change my definition of leadership but my entire life. When I joined the Ayala Young Leaders Congress, the concept of being a starfish thrower was introduced. The idea was so vague that I said to myself that this camp will just be one of the other 'CSR' activities to have tax incentives for this corporation.

The Starfish Thrower story tells of a young boy who asked about the starfish in the seashore. His companion said that since starfish cannot go back to the ocean by themselves, they are waiting for the tides to help them out. The boy ran towards the group of starfish and started throwing them back to the ocean believing that he can help these cute creatures return to the ocean and let them live.
The 4-day camp was filled with sharing of stories between the 75 of us. We have Muslims, Chrisitians, Military cadets and passionate artists. Weird as it sounds but we tell the same fate. We have our gigantic projects that failed. We have planned to change the ways and we failed. We dream of a perfect society and we all failed. The series of talks with leaders from the media, business and government sectors told us that what we need are small doable things, conviction in action is contagious. And if all else fails, we have a network of people whom we can ask or share our learnings.

This experience turned my life 360-degree. All the while, I have focused on titles and herculean tasks but this experience showed me the greatest form of leadership- empowerment. My principles of 20 years have been changed by a short story involving a marine creature, a kid and a network of people with the same passion as mine. It made me realize that by giving people the right information, mindset and heart, they can be leaders of their own battles. My desire to become a leader of position diminished yet my desire to create more servant leaders flourished. After the congress, I went back to my alma mater, write stories that inform them, inspire them and connect them to a different world – that outside the walls of our university, there are people who throw starfish back to the ocean through their own little ways.

When I started working, I always tell my people that I don't want them to change their ways drastically or do things against their will but they should always find their core, their happiness and start from there. Leadership is a daily task. The generic mantra is Everyday Leadership- "Ano ang trip mong gawin na kaya mong araw-arawin?".  Leadership by position is inevitable but we must also remember that those who report to us are leaders themselves and in one way or another, if we develop them correctly, they can pickup little doable good actions and throw them back to the world. The more servant leaders we have, the better we are as Filipino people. I was lucky enough to be moved from talking from the sidelines of my supervisory role to a more development-centered role, as a Training Officer. Each day, I never fail to remind myself to encourage people to do the good for these are doable deeds and can replicate easily. I make sure that each time I see a person with potential, I recognize them and incept in them the idea of pushing their boundaries, leave their comfort zone and learn.

Leadership has always been available for everybody. We are just afraid to take on the journey because of what our society defined them to be but in the end, we will know and discover that after all, leadership is not by position, or situation. It has always been part of our system – our normal day but with a slight difference, we do it for a greater purpose, in small ways but for the better. 

--
Regards,

Engr. Tristan Val L. Leonida
HR | Organization and Talent Development
TI (Philippines), Inc.
+639175127654

https://ph.linkedin.com/in/tvleonida


Nice paper;  but this office was asking for defining moment.  Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment