Monday, August 10, 2015

REFLECTION #3 - What is your passion? by ALEJANDRO L. GARCIA Jr.

REFLECTION #3 - What is your passion?

Passion to Comfort

The aphorism "To cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always," by Dr. Edward Trudeu, founder of a tuberculosis sanatorium in the 1800s, has stuck to me ever since I heard it in one of our lectures in medical school.

In spite of all the knowledge we now know in modern medicine, it's a fact that it's only sometimes that physicians cure a disease and more often are able to relieve the suffering of patients. But what we can do always is to comfort.

As an anesthesiologist, almost all of the patients I encounter are about to undergo surgery and are very anxious. It's very easy for me to just give my patients a tranquilizer to relieve their anxiety. However, there are non-medical ways that I apply in my practice to relieve them of their anxiety.

First is I put myself in their shoes. I myself haven't undergone any surgery before. What would lessen my anxiety would be knowing about the procedure, competence of the doctors, how long it will take, risk, and success. From experience, when the patient knows what to expect, they are more psyched for the procedure. By putting yourself in their situation you can be more empathic in the way you relate with them.

Second is I listen. Whether it's a friend or a patient, listening is very comforting to them. It is a good opportunity to get to know the patient and at the same time it will help them unload their worries. After explaining to them the procedure I would always ask them if there's anything else that they want to tell me.

Reassure. By giving reassurance, I do not promise them that everything will turn out to be ok. What I tell the patients is that I will do my best to contribute to the success of the operation. Once I reassure the patient they feel more comfortable.

Show concern. When patients feel that we are concerned for them, they will feel that they can trust us with their life and that we will not do anything to harm them.

Pray together. By praying with the patient, we show our compassion and our faith in God who is the real healer and us doctors are just his instruments.

It is very fulfilling for me when I visit my patients after their surgery and I see that they're not in pain and are smiling. In my other roles as a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a colleague, or a friend, providing comfort has always been my primary concern.

I am happy that my career as an anesthesiologist and my passion are very much related. It has also blessed me and my family a comfortable life. As I thank God everyday for His blessings, I continuously ask Him for guidance that I may not harm and that I may be able to help more people.

Thank you for taking time to read :) 3






Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment