Friday, August 21, 2015

Final Integrative Paper by Leader Jenieryll Jomarie Mangalindan

Hi Prof. Jorge,
Pls. see my final paper.
By Leader: 
Jenieryll Jomarie Mangalindan
Summary of Learning on Leadership
Before our Leadership class, my perception is that when you are a leader you need to have followers.  But as we walk together on our 7-week journey of our leadership class, it gives me a new perspective, an in-depth meaning of leadership.  That we are all leaders and that our whole lives are filled with leadership opportunities, that we can be leader of our own – self led and self-initiated.  And being a leaders doesn’t always comes with one’s success, at times we need to be a leaders for others, to surpass challenges and contribute to the team’s success.  That leadership can be applied in our daily activities.
One of the most important learning is to focus on Jesuit’s Four Pillars of Success
<![if !supportLists]>1.      <![endif]>Self-awareness by understanding one’s strengths, weaknesses, values and worldview
<![if !supportLists]>2.      <![endif]>Ingenuity to confidently innovate and adapt to embrace a changing world
<![if !supportLists]>3.      <![endif]>Love to engaged others with a positive and loving attitude
<![if !supportLists]>4.      <![endif]>Heroism by energizing one’s self and other’s through heroic ambitions
Our activities really helped a lot:
<![if !supportLists]>1.      <![endif]>Debate on Are leaders born, made or situational?
<![if !supportLists]>2.      <![endif]>Bad Boss:  Planning a Crime
<![if !supportLists]>3.      <![endif]>Heroic Leadership
<![if !supportLists]>4.      <![endif]>Movies that showcases Leadership
<![if !supportLists]>5.      <![endif]>Defining Moments
<![if !supportLists]>6.      <![endif]>Enneagram
<![if !supportLists]>7.      <![endif]>Genogram
<![if !supportLists]>8.      <![endif]>Leader’s Activity on ‘Anything’
<![if !supportLists]>9.      <![endif]>Factors that Shapes Me, Internal and External
<![if !supportLists]>10.  <![endif]>Team Building Activity
<![if !supportLists]>11.  <![endif]>Advocacy Speech
<![if !supportLists]>12.  <![endif]>AVP Presentation
<![if !supportLists]>13.  <![endif]>My Passion in Life
<![if !supportLists]>14.  <![endif]>Sharing of the Leaders
<![if !supportLists]>15.  <![endif]>Our Opening Songs
SELF-AWARENESS
Knowing one’s self - Leadership within
<![if !supportLists]>1.      <![endif]>Leadership is also about Personal Mastery
Master one’s self before you master others
Conquer your fear and you conquer death
Knowing yourself, knowing your enemies

Learning
To Think critical thinking, all about endless questioning & gather relevant data
To Intuit see from within or our sixth sense
To Feel emotional intelligence, emotional awareness, master adverse emotion
To Do creating a plan, problem solving, decision tree, performance evaluation, audit
To Communicate verbal and body language, store messages, make great speech
To Lead take responsibility of self and others, inspiration and transformation leader
To Be curious, be a child again, open minded, will to life, mission, vision, low/high points in life, end point in life

<![if !supportLists]>2.      <![endif]>Heroic Leadership by Chris Lowney touches the lives of three early Jesuits and illustrates the Ignatian leadership – Goes, Ricci and Clavius - the three unlikely heroes. 
Benedetto Goes died broke and more or less alone, but he was not a failure.  He has helped resolve the question if China was Cathay.  This ends the Jesuits search for the other great kingdom; there were no lost Christian tribes that Marco Polo claimed.  Goes also settled speculation about a more efficient route between two countries which doesn’t exist either.  In Goes case, his leadership to explore the unknown will prevent his colleagues on having the same experience of hardship.  His success comes from his contribution that helps his team to win.
Matteo Ricci continues to learn and teach, has achieved fluency in Chinese and absorbed the wisdom of Confucian Four Books.  Ricci developed an improbably strategy to win attention in China for his Christian message.
Christopher Clavius worked as a university professor for forty eight years, forty six of which is in Collegio Romano run by the Jesuits.  Clavius ventured his own vision which is for Jesuits to become experts in not only theology and philosophy but also in languages, mathematics and sciences.  He applied his passion and vision to mold recruits into brilliant and eminent men, teaching the teachers one of which was Ricci.  He discarded his long-cherished beliefs for newly revealed truths when he endorsed all of Galileo’s findings and calculations of a sun-centered system.  Clavius understood that the Ptolemaic system he had spent a lifetime defending was destined for the dustbin.
They are the three unlikely hero, they did not lead people.  But they led themselves – which is the first and most crucial leadership challenge that every leader must face.
How do I apply this:  I need to start with myself, If want to make this world a better place, I need to make the change first.  Leadership does not automatically mean you lead a battalion of people, but I can start on my day to day lives.  I can lead myself on going to work on time, continue learning, continue to help other people and be more for others, continue to motivate myself, continue to do good, continue to be healthy, inspire myself, challenge myself.  Then if I can lead myself and become a good role model to others, make an impact on others.  Like Goes, Ricci and Clavius who continue to inspire Jesuits until this day.  I was inspired to be a motivated leader – self-initiate and self-led.
<![if !supportLists]>3.      <![endif]>Enneagram is a personality system in use to know one’s personality type.  This is a diagnostic tool of one’s emotional outlook in life.  It will not cure one’s problem, but may help point out their underlying fixations.  It is also a guide to how other people see the world differently.  It is popular for self-help and personal growth movements.



Enneagram helps me know myself more, what are the emotional tendencies I have and how I can manage this emotions.  I am type 2, the Helper who is said to be giving and receiving love.  We are said to be one of the most emotionally expressive, and one of the most focused on human relationships.  At our best, healthy 2s bring a special interpersonal touch to almost everything they do, empowering others with their unrivaled desire to make others feel special, important, and loved for simply being themselves.  Highly nurturing at their best, less healthy 2s show a darker side of their personality.  When unhealthy 2s help others, it is merely to make themselves feel more important.  They may offer "help" that seems intrusive and manipulative to others, or may do a "favor", only to subsequently ask repayment.  Average twos are often attracted toward two seemingly opposite kinds of people: toward people with power, whose agenda they can support, and towards the needy and the outcast, who most urgently need the 2's caring spirit.

I have also learned that my personality may tend to shift as I encounter pressure/stress (disintegration) or moving toward health and growth (integration).  I move to be type 8 if under pressure and type 4 if experiencing growth.  Type 8s are the Confronter, the aggressive power-seeker, while type 4s are the Romantic. 

How do I apply this:  By self-reflection, it’s being aware on my own strength and weaknesses, I will further grow my strength and improve on my weaknesses.  I know what makes me angry then I should control myself at that time, it is learning to manage myself.  At first, we manage ourselves but as we become a leader, we manage others.  It is good to know that the likes of Mother Theresa and Princess Diana are under type 2.

<![if !supportLists]>4.      <![endif]>Genogram is a graphic representation of a family tree that displays detailed data on relationships among individuals. It goes beyond a traditional family tree by allowing the user to analyze hereditary patterns and psychological factors that punctuate relationships. Genograms allow a therapist and his patient to quickly identify and understand various patterns in the patient's family history which may have had an influence on the patient's current state of mind.
Genogram is a very good exercise of knowing one’s self; it brings me back to my roots.  It gives me realization – am I born a leader, am I made or am I leader due to situation.  In this activity that I’ve got to know my relatives – what they do, their background, their education, are they themselves leaders.  At this point, it is where my advocacy and passion was refueled which is on education.  Majority of my father’s siblings make it until high school and can see that this will be a continuing trend to their children and grandchildren.  On the other side, my mother’s side has always value education which in turn gives them a good life, and able to contribute to the nation’s building. 
How do I apply this: I’ve found out that my father’s side is the shy type which I think I am when I was younger, I’ve accepted this as my weakness and because of this I joined to become a CAT officer and now seeking MBA to improve my confidence and communication skills.  I’ve also the importance of education more than ever.
<![if !supportLists]>5.      <![endif]>Defining moment in life
Defining moments are the events we encounter that shapes our mindset, planned path, and actual process to reach more than satisfactory level of our emotional accomplishment. This event epitomizes or determines all subsequent related occurrences in our life. And sometimes it helps us change our perspective on the things that we may not think of achieving.  This makes or breaks us. 

The reflection on defining moments is one good exercise on self-awareness, it makes me realized that what are these events that mold me, that contributes to whom am I now.  My personal defining moments are the challenges that I encounter in my life, how it change my life’s perspective, make me mature, how I pick up myself and become stronger after the challenges I met and it is a great leap for me. 
<![if !supportLists]>6.      <![endif]>Calls to Arms Speech, Advocacy and Passion in life
We should put meaning to our life and pursuing and advocacy and passion in life will make a very meaningful life.  It is making a change for our world, for our self and for our people around us.  During the speeches we have heard the Leaders commitment and make a change in our world, although small step but if we all contribute then it will make a lot of changes for us.  We heard advocacy on carbon footprint, education, farming, environment, caring for the new born, parental involvement and as Leaders we need to share this message to everyone to inspire and influence.  I am deeply committed to instill value of education to my family – my children whom I teach at a young age, my siblings whom I help to finish their studies, and extending my advocacy by sponsoring a child in World Vision.  Sponsoring a child has actually been my dream, but it’s just in my mind but thanks to this exercise that I was able to push through it.  And I was able to share such advocacy to the class and inform them how they can help as well.
BAD BOSS:  PLANNING A CRIME
In real life, there are bad and good boss.  Good boss are usually our role model but we can also learn a lot from the bad bosses.  It is said that the bad boss have a critical mind and is always one step the law, that is why they always manage to go away with it. 
How do I apply this:  Base on the managers I know and current and previous managers who handle me, I list down all the good and bad characteristics they have and I realize what I want to be, it’s part of ‘choosing myself’.  We can learn from both bad and good boss, it’s our option who I want to be.  As for myself, I will adapt what I think works and effective, and what characteristics I want my boss to have.
LEADER’S ACTIVITIES ON ‘ANYTHING’
As a leader, you lead your life and inspire others to follow.  On the 4th session, leaders were tasks to lead on any tasks and the leaders have come up with a very good presentation that ends up a very enjoyable and fruitful session
<![if !supportLists]>1.      <![endif]>1st is the Leader’s Feud
Leaders should be updated, knowledgeable and competent.  Continuous learning is one of the key to successful leadership.
<![if !supportLists]>2.      <![endif]>2nd is the Nae-Nae Dance
Leaders set the trend, at first the dance seems funny but along the way the leader was able to gain followers until almost all join the dance step.  As a leader, first they may ignore you, then they may ridicule you but at the end you win.  If you’re a leader, you should expect to be criticized.
<![if !supportLists]>3.      <![endif]>3rd is the Karaoke Song
The Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston as one of the top leadership song.  It talks about molding the children to be leaders, look up to role models, building inner strength as a leader, internal motivation, and doing what you do with passion to name a few.
<![if !supportLists]>4.      <![endif]>4th is the Game with Blindfold
One of the key to being a good leader is to communicate.  You should be able to share the vision with your teammates and guide to achieve the objective.  This takes mutual trust.
<![if !supportLists]>5.      <![endif]>5th is the Cheering
A shout of approval, encouragement, a cheer uplifts the team spirit.  In a cheer, the team can relay their mission and goal thru a cheer message. 
LEADERS SAY “NO”
The art of leadership is saying no, not saying yes. It is very easy to say yes. – Tony Blair
Indeed as a leader we must learn to say ‘no’.  As a leader we need to manage our energy and focus on what matters and must always looks for ways to get rid of the unnecessary baggage.  By saying no, we give others the challenge to focus on something more important.
How do I apply this:  In my life I tend to please everyone by saying ‘yes’ all the time, when I read this article in the blog, I self-reflect and realizes that we cannot please everybody at all times.  Recently one of my previous teammates advises that I white lie on his character reference for his new employer and I said ‘no’.  That is against my values and I will not be burden on this.
LEADERSHIP IN MOVIES
We also learned leadership in movies - we have The Godfather, Lord of the Rings and Leaders movie of their own.  My own personal movie is about Erik, the first blind to climb Mt. Everest - very inspirational movie.  Hero has a thousand faces and the stages of each may also apply to Leaders – the ordinary world, the call to adventure, refusal to the quest, accepting the call, entering the unknown, supernatural aid, talisman, allies/helpers, tests and the supreme ordeal, reward and the journey home and being a master of two worlds.
Some of the great lessons we learned from the movies:
Different strokes for different folks
Decisions, decisions, decisions
Keep your word
Leaders venture into the Unknown
Leaders Step Up
The Burdens of Leadership
Leaders Undertake Great Challenges
Trust among Fellowship
Leaders Fight for What’s Right
Everyone Can Lead
Leaders Have Heart
Leaders Have Courage
Leaders Do What Must Be Done
LEADERSHIP IN SONGS
Powerful and life-changing songs we played at class.
Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson – “If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change”
Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston – “I believe that children is our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.  Show them all the beauty they possess inside, teach them a sense of pride.  To make it easier, let the children’s laughter remind us how we used to be.”
Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys – “She's just a girl, and she's on fire; Hotter than a fantasy, longer like a highway.  She's living in a world, and it's on fire.  Feeling the catastrophe, but she knows she can fly away…This girl is on fire”
How do I apply it:  Be the change I want the world to be, change myself to be a better person and make myself more by influencing others to become better person as well. 
WHAT MAKES A LEADER
What distinguishes great leaders is its emotional intelligence a group of five skills that enable the best leaders to maximize their own and their followers' performance.
Self-awareness by knowing one’s strengths, weaknesses, drives, values and impact on others.  This is achieved by being self-confident, realistic self-assessment, self-depreciating sense of humor, thirst for constructive criticism.
Self-regulation by controlling or redirecting disruptive impulses and moods.  Achieved by being trustworthy, act with integrity and being comfortable with change and ambiguity.
Motivation by relishing achievement for its own sake.  Being passionate on the work and for new challenges, unflagging energy to improve and being optimistic in the face of failure.
Empathy by understanding other people's emotional makeup.  Having the expertise in attracting and retaining talent, ability to develop others and sensitivity to cross cultural differences.
Social skill by building rapport with others to move them in desired directions.  Achieved by effectively leading change, can persuade others, extensive networking, expertise in leading and building teams.
How do I apply this:  By being aware of my strength and my weaknesses, one of which is the fear of public speaking and so I enroll in MBA and practice before making presentation so I can gain self-confidence as I deliver my speech.  I know I got nervous during public speaking and so I manage my emotion by thinking that my audience needs to learn from me and if get nervous then I may not be able to deliver by message well and may end up on my audience feeling confuse.  I also think they are just friends and no need to feel nervous.  A good leader should not rely on external motivation but should know one’s internal motivation, what fires them.  And I’ve done that as well.  And I also need to know my team’s motivation, socialize with them, and know them more and learn about their dreams and build a plan together to make that dream work. 
WHAT LEADERS REALLY DO
One of the good learning points is to differentiate management and leadership.  Both needs to go hand in hand to be more effective, it is putting a heart in managing and that is leadership.  Some of the differences of which are:
Management involves planning and budgeting. Leadership involves setting direction.
Manager plans, predicts and aim at having an orderly results.  Leaders produce change, setting direction of the change.  It is setting a vision and communicating that to the team, and directing the team to achieve that vision.
Management involves organizing and staffing. Leadership involves aligning people.
Manager look for the right fit between people and jobs.  Leaders look for the right fit between people and vision.  It involves getting the people to believe in the vision and then to take initiative based on that shared vision.
Management provides control and solves problems. Leadership provides motivation.
Manager strives to make it easy for people to complete routine jobs day after day.  Leaders attempt to touch people at their deepest levels by stirring in them a sense of belonging, idealism, and self-esteem.
How do I apply it:  By putting a heart as I now venture to a managerial role, by motivating people instead of directing them to do some tasks, by hiring the right people that I think can help to achieve the team’s vision, by guiding them to apply critical thinking, by guiding them to think on their own to gain independence and become a leader as well.
THE WORK OF LEADERSHIP
Followers want comfort, stability, and solutions from their leaders.  But that’s babysitting.  Real leaders ask hard questions and knock people out of their comfort zone.  Then they manage the resulting distress.  Leaders ensure the team adapts to challenges and applying this six principles will help.
Get on the balcony.  Don’t get swept on the playfield.  Instead move back and forth and between the action and the balcony to gain high level perspective that helps mobilize your people to do adaptive work.
Identify your adaptive challenge.  Identify the challenges that you encounter and fill in the gap.
Regulate distress.  To inspire change without disabling people, pace adaptive work
Maintained disciplined attention.  Encourage managers to grapple with divisive issues, rather than indulging in scapegoating or denial.  Deepen the debate to unlock polarized, superficial conflict.
Give the work back to the employees.  To instill collective self-confidence—versus dependence on you—support rather than control people. Encourage risk-taking and responsibility—then back people up if they err. Help them recognize they contain the solutions.
Protect leadership voices from below.  Don’t silence whistle-blowers, creative deviants, and others exposing contradictions within your company. Their perspectives can provoke fresh thinking. Ask, “What is this guy really talking about? Have we missed something?”
How do I apply this:  Do not focus myself on the details and do the work of my teammates but instead move back to get the overview, which gives me a higher perspective to identify the problem and address immediately so the team will be more adaptive to the work.  To regulate distress, let my teammates open the issues and debate openly and come up together with a better solution. In coming up for a solution, I should not give them the answer but instead allow and encourage them to be part on identifying the solution.  It makes the team independent and gives them a sense of importance.  Make them use to constant change, make change one at a time. One of the key is to demonstrate collaboration to solve problems.  Lastly listen to the employees, maintain open door policy, most of the times the best of ideas come from the employees.  Encourage employees to speak up if they think something is wrong and be open on what they have to say.

WHY SHOULD ANYONE BE LED BY YOU?
We all know that leaders need vision and energy. But to be inspirational, leaders need four other qualities.  Probably not what you’d expect, these qualities can be honed by almost anyone willing to dig deeply into their true selves.
Show you’re human, selectively revealing weaknesses.  Nobody wants to work with a perfect leader—he doesn’t appear to need help. So show you’re human—warts and all. You’ll build collaboration and solidarity between you and your followers, and underscore your approachability.
Be a “sensor,” collecting soft people data that lets you rely on intuition.  Hone your ability to collect and interpret subtle interpersonal cues, detecting what’s going on without others’ spelling it out.
Manage employees with “tough empathy.”  Care passionately about them and their work, while giving them only what they need to achieve their best.
Dare to be different, capitalizing on your uniqueness.  Capitalizing on what’s unique about yourself lets you signal your separateness as a leader, and motivates others to perform better. Followers push themselves more if their leader is just a little aloof.
How do I apply this:  Mix and match the qualities to find the right style for me.  One key to build trust with my teammates is to be honest and admit I don’t know everything and that I would need help from my teammates to achieve our goal.  By showing empathy I ensure they know I also adapt to their changing needs, like with my teammates who recently gave birth, I talk to them to ensure that I know they are going through some changes in their life (the sleepless nights on taking care of their child) and I give them some time to adapt on the changes in their life but I also advise them that they need to pick up themselves soon so as not to disrupt their work and life.  When I engage with my team, I maintain some distance, not too close but not too far.  I do this to maintain independence, objective and avoid acting with favoritism.  I can give them feedback for their improvement and not take it against me, I tell them this is not something personal but rather take my feedback constructively to keep on improving.
LEADERS ENCOUNTER CHALLENGES
Everyone is tested by life, but only a few extract strength and wisdom from their most trying experiences. They’re the ones we call leaders.  Extraordinary leaders find meaning in— and learn from—the most negative events.  Like phoenixes rising from the ashes, they emerge from adversity stronger, more confident in themselves and their purpose, and more committed to their work. Such transformative events are called crucibles—a severe test or trial. Crucibles are intense, often traumatic—and always unplanned.
THE CRUCIBLE EXPERIENCE
Crucibles force leaders into deep self-reflection, where they examine their values, question their assumptions, and hone their judgment.  One great example I can think of is what happens to Steve Jobs and to you Prof Jorge on which both of you were ousted on the company that you established.  Steve Jobs uses his time to build iPixar and became a hit, in the end he return to Apple and stayed there until he died. 
How do I apply it:  In life, we expect good things are not forever, we should prepare our self for some challenges that may come my way.  What I do is I always equip myself and continue learning and I will not stop, I know this will help in my life.  Another thing is to always keep a positive outlook in life, look challenges as opportunities and pick up myself if I fail.  And most of all always seeks assistance from above, our Creator to guide me on my daily life.
LEVEL 5 LEADERSHIP
What catapults a company from merely good to truly great? A five-year research project searched for the answer to that question, and its discoveries ought to change the way we think about leadership.
Level 5 leaders blend the paradoxical combination of deep personal humility with intense professional will. This rare combination also defies our assumptions about what makes a great leader.  They routinely credit others, external factors, and good luck for their companies’ success. But when results are poor, they blame themselves. They also act quietly, calmly, and determinedly— relying on inspired standards, not inspiring charisma, to motivate.  Growing to Level 5
First who
Attend to people first, strategy second. Get the right people on the bus and the wrong people off—then figure out where to drive it.
Stockdale paradox
Deal with the brutal facts of your current reality—while maintaining absolute faith that you’ll prevail.
Buildup-breakthrough flywheel
Keep pushing your organizational “flywheel.”  With consistent effort, momentum increases until—bang!—the wheel hits the breakthrough point.
The hedgehog concept
Think of your company as three intersecting circles: what it can be best at, how its economics work best, and what ignites its people’s passions. Eliminate everything else.
Technology Accelerators
On the one hand, they assiduously avoided jumping on new technology bandwagons. On the other, they were pioneers in the application of carefully selected technologies, making bold, farsighted investments in those that directly linked to their hedgehog concept.
A Culture of Discipline
When you look across the good-to-great transformations, they consistently display three forms of discipline: disciplined people, disciplined thought, and disciplined action.  When you have disciplined people, you don’t need hierarchy. When you have disciplined thought, you don’t need bureaucracy. When you have disciplined action, you don’t need excessive controls. When you combine a culture of discipline with an ethic of entrepreneurship, you get the magical alchemy of great performance.
How do I apply it:  My goal is to become a Level 5 leader and this learning gives me a great idea on how to achieve this. 
DISCOVERING YOUR AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP
We all have the capacity to inspire and empower others. But we must first be willing to devote ourselves to our personal growth and development as leaders.  The most important capability for leaders to develop is self-awareness. Leadership principles are values translated into action. Having a solid base of values and testing them under fire enables you to develop the principles you will use in leading. Because authentic leaders need to sustain high levels of motivation and keep their lives in balance, it is critically important for them to understand what drives them. There are two types of motivations—extrinsic and intrinsic.
How do I apply it:  Constantly self-reflect, who is my role model and what are my defining moments, what shapes me, what are my values, what motivates me, whose support do I need to become an authentic leader, and what steps do I take today, tomorrow and in the future to develop my authentic leadership.  This is an on-going process and every day I will learn more of myself.  Self-awareness, lead with heart, focus on long-term results, act with integrity, lead with vision, be a good listener, be transparent, lead consistently, share success with the team and draw on experience.


SHARING OF LEADERS
I’ve taken my MBA for more than a year and have known my co-Leaders for quite a while but only in Leadership class did I known them in-depth.  I’ve known their defining moments, their passion in life, their favorite movies, their advocacies, their life journey and their experiences.  I have learned a lot from the 26 Leaders in this class.  I have learned that most came from humble beginnings and aim for excellence, have a good life and sharing that with others.  Being Magis – be more for others.  All Leaders in the class are professionals and still continue to learn, and a realization that it is indeed very dangerous to stop learning.  I thank you Prof and co-Leaders for your sharing and also inspiring me to do the same.
Lastly is what we can do to this messed up world – by building a better me and influence others.  What’s next for me, I’ve realized after my call to arms speech where I mentioned my province and majority did not finish their education, that I may be able to do something about it.  I am planning to meet with my grandparents to discuss if we can start to put up a business or livelihood program on this community.  And to inspire to pursue their education, work hard and be more for others. 
I am so happy that I’ve been part of this great class, with great Leaders and great Prof.  I have learned so much in the past two months and will keep on applying what I’ve learned in my daily activities – self-led.  Know yourself, choose yourself and give yourself.
Thank you.

3.5



No comments:

Post a Comment