Monday, August 17, 2015

Reflection Paper no. 3 - Leader Cezar Cortez

What is your passion (what is it that you love doing)?  How is it reflected in your work, daily life, and life's journey?
I started my life being exposed to helping less fortunate people. My parents have been very active in providing help to anyone in need. Even up to now; my mother even at her 80's still have its way of helping. It is probably the reason why I am always in a situation where I need to help somebody.

When I was 10 years old I already experienced rescuing our relatives from the flood caused by typhoon way back in the 80's. The sounds of the raging brown water still lingers in my mind up to this time. My brothers carry the belongings of our cousins to safety while I hold the hands of our Aunt to make sure that she will not slip in the creek and get washed away by the water. We fought our fears at the moment just to save the lives and some properties of our relatives.
In my 1st year in high school; I'm on my way to school. A well-dressed Chinese-Filipino guy (his accent is more Chinese) approached me and ask me if I have money because somebody stole his wallet and he has no money going back to Capas, Tarlac. Without any hesitation; I gave him my 3 days allowance. When I went home I told my mother about the incident and she just smile without saying anything and walked away. The next day she gave me the same amount that I gave to the Chinese-Filipino guy. At least she really believed in my story.



In college; I saw a man shivering in cold at the side of the road because it is raining heavily that night. My heart realized the need for me to help this man. So what I did is take off my jacket and give it to the guy without any hesitation. My friend ask me why I do that; I just smile and told him that it is the proper thing to do.

There is also one incident of helping my neighbor because their house was under fire. I just took water and throw it to the burning materials as fast as I can. Luckily, we were able to stop the fire in a matter of minutes.

The latest experience I had was just 2 years ago; while I'm jogging at Clark Parade Ground. I'm already on my 10KM run around the oval when I saw an old man with his nephew at the side road of Holiday Inn. The old man holds his chest and had a hard-time breathing. I approached the guys and asked them what happened. The old man told me that I need to take him to the hospital right away. I grabbed him because his nephew is in a state of shock and doesn't know what to do. I took him to my car and drive as fast as I can. In the car I could hear the old man telling me that he is about to die. He even touched me at the back to tell me that I need to increase my speed or else he will not make it to the hospital. Without thinking for my own safety I drove him (beating the red light) to Mount Carmel – Clark. I was relieved when the doctors attended to him. I'm trying to speak to his nephew but he's still in a state of shock. Actually, I never heard him say anything during the ordeal. But I left my calling card to the security guard of the hospital and went home feeling happy because I saved life.

In my work; I love helping people having a hard time accomplishing their tasks. I remember when I am still working in the field in the early 2000 with some projects for Nextel. It is a difficult task because it involved climbing the Cellsite towers of up to 200 feet. Me and my Engineers were all new in climbing high cellsite towers. Even though I am already the supervisor during that time; I told them if they will be scared to climb, they need to tell me and I will do it for them. This is also part of motivating people not to be scared. Yes I joined them in the field even my manager during that time wouldn't allow me. I am passionate to help them to get the job done. Even up to now as the head of the facility; I still have time to help colleagues in need of help. I do not look myself as the big boss of the facility; I just see myself as one of the workers of the company. Not different from anyone in the office. I always tell my colleagues that the facility is successful because of us ( up to the employee who sweep the floor everyday).

This also reflected on the two (2) organizations I'm handling at the moment. I am the Vice-Governor of IECEP-Pampanga and the Treasurer of Environmental Practitioners Association. At IECEP; we make sure that member's have their Seminars to have their license renewed on time. We also have Outreach program where we help less fortunate individuals. Environmental Practitioners Association or simply EPA is a non-stock, non-profit organization that fosters 'best environmental practices'. It promotes government initiatives over sound environment and safety management within work sites.  It is a tangible response to an ever-increasing demand for responsible management or promotion of self-regulation. We spent our time and talent for a worthy cause without being paid. Sometimes we encounter arrogant members; but our passion for helping is still there.

My two organizations broaden my ability to help others. When I was still young; the passion is only limited to our relatives and friends. Now, the need to help grew to an enormous size. I am now placed in a situation involve in saving mother earth which in turn to save mankind from its own destruction. There is only very little we can do to help the environment. But I hope in our own little way; we can inspire younger generations to pursue our dream of having a healthy environment.

Like I said before; God wants me here to help others. No matter how I avoid it; God makes a way for me to get involved. The inspirations I got from professor Jorge and my Leader classmates gave me the power to continue my work on helping others. I accept it because I need to do more (MAGIS) for God. I love helping people; the feeling is very fulfilling. The happiness it brings is unimaginable. I always tell my kids about all the good deeds I made in my life to inspire them to GENUINELY HELP OTHERS.

My other passion is health. I quit smoking cigarette last 2011 after 15 years. It feels good because I won the fight of removing the bad habit. It's been very challenging for me since smoking has been my way of putting myself in a relax state. This is one of the toughest disciplines I made in my life and that is also when I was introduce to my other passion - Running.  I run at Clark parade ground whenever I have time. I continue to build my strength so that I can run and join 21KM again. Aside from running I also go to the gym when it is raining. I also do some diet even doctors advised me not to do it since my BMI is on the best level. I also make sure that my family join me and also involved with my active lifestyle. I enrolled my kids to any sports every summer and we play basketball every weekend. They also run with me once in a while together with my 80 years old mother (BTW, she only walk).

In the office; I encouraged my colleagues to have a healthy lifestyle. We have a basketball and badminton court inside the building. We also have a small gym that they can use whenever they want to sweat. Employees need to have a healthy body to perform their daily task. I hope I can be a good example to them. I cannot perform my duty of being a leader if I am not healthy. A leader must always try to make it a point to exercise everyday and eat a balance diet for energy and strength to accomplish anything.

QUOTES ABOUT MY PASSION

My passion reflects who I am.

I love helping people.
Hebrews 13:16 "Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God."
This statement is true; if we fail to do good and do not share what we have, we are neglecting others.  Sharing are the types of personal sacrifices that are pleasing to God.  When the Scriptures talk about pleasing God then we know it must be important.
I also make it a point to donate blood every year to help someone in need. Sharing part of ourselves is one of the best gifts we can give to our fellowmen. Blood donations is also good for our health.
  

Being healthy
Our bodies are sacred temples for God's Spirit
"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple" (1 Corinthians 3:16-17).  (hence the weekly bike rides)

Taking care of the environment
Every Creature, Everything, is Part of God's Creation so we must take care of it
Psalm 96:10-13 - Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns." The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity. Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it; let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them. Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy; they will sing before the LORD, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his truth.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful life story Cezar. We have been classmates for 3 subjects now and everyday I learn something new about and from you. May God always bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite being a supervisor, you still insisted to do the hard jobs. It really is a good way to boost the morale's of your subordinates. Telling everybody that they are important and they are the indicative of success is the perfect example of "Heroism", influencing them the word Magis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A definite eye-opener for me sir Cez i agree in making other feel they are of value... it inspires them to work harder...

    ReplyDelete
  4. kuya cezar, insipiring passion for health. made me realize i want and needed to do it also. i hope i can be passionate like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, all of you inspire me too!

    ReplyDelete