Friday, August 21, 2015

Final Integrative Paper - Leader Cezar Cortez

We started the class by definition of LEADERSHIP. If you search the internet; you will see numerous definitions from different experts, gurus, business leaders, academic scholars, Saints, religious group, politicians etc… Their definition of leadership is the mirror of their EXPERIENCE in life. That is why there are never ending definitions of Leadership. We can produce many words to describe leadership. My definition of leadership might be different from the other. Leadership for me is leading with passion and constantly examining oneself before making a decision.
There is also different kind of leaders. Some may say their leadership qualities are BORN, others MADE and SITUATIONAL. Because of the fact that we are created differently by God Almighty. We have all different potential and defining moments that transform as to a kind of leader we are at the moment. We can also trace our individual leadership style from our ancestors. Physical features and traits are being inherited from the previous generations of our family. This is a proven scientific process that scientist and medical practitioners consider in identifying certain behaviors or sickness of a person.



Leaders must also learn to deal with others. It is one of the real tests to be a great leader. We must not react on difficult situation but respond maturely and with conviction. We must be true with our passion and love the way we do it. Environment or what we call external factors for me is one of the converting forces that shaped me where I am right now. It is true that experience is the best teacher. Usually, it is also one of the most unforgettable. Touch, smell and feeling are very important to remember the experience.
Team-building is also very important in leading an organization. We discipline ourselves to work with others, collaborate and communicate to each other to come up with a better solution on a particular problem. The subject encouraged us to work as a team during the team-building activity and group work. Here I realize the different perspective from different age, work and status in the society. It is very fascinating to the fact that I learned a lot from the team.
Leaders must also know their Passion. It is a deep feeling to identify the thing that you would like to do for the rest of your life. This is also a way of connecting the dot backward instead of forward as Steve Job said during his speech in Stanford. You realized that by connecting the dot backward; you will find out the things you have done in the past that is related to the present and can be a reference for the future to come.

The leadership subject and our professor taught us to DIG DEEPER INTO OURSELVES to understand who we are, what is our strength and weaknesses, what do we care for, what do we need to do to be a better person and of course how to be a good leader. To Quote Dr. Kristine Denice Delos Reyes in her commencement speech because this is also what I expect when I enrolled in LEADERSHIP subject "What I thought was an instructional course on how to ascend the corporate ladder quickly was in fact a weekly mini-retreat. It compelled us to take a quick timeout in order to introspect and refocus, in a manner analogous to the Examen of St. Ignatius. The goal, I believe, was to help us reconnect with our authentic selves, to come to an acceptance of our gifts and frailties, to articulate our vision, to revisit our passion, and to ultimately awaken the heroic leader in each of us:  that man or woman for others". 
In summary; all the techniques and new learning in the subject including the reading materials and reflection paper goes down to four principles of Jesuits leadership.
SELF-AWARENESS – Genogram, Enneagram and Reflection papers. We dig deeper into ourselves to understand who we are and what are we capable of doing. Identify the strength and weaknesses on leading. This is almost similar to the Spiritual exercise introduce by St. Ignatius de Loyola. People perform better when they have a deep sense of who they are. We are taught how to be self-aware in everything we do and continue learning.
INGENUITY – we are adapting to the changing world. We need to learn more and re-invent ourselves to be able to work with others and to the new leaders. This principle is very special to me since as an engineer we need to create and innovate something for the welfare of mankind. The course and my travel around the world enlighten my mind to adapt on new ideas and thinking – The Jesuit way. This principle is very effective in negotiation skills. We adjust ourselves to the cultures and belief of the person we deal with to come up with a WIN-WIN solution.
LOVE – the course un-locks people's potential. I realized that I can do more self-reflection if I only put love in what I'm doing. As I mentioned in my AVP; for me the foundation of PASSION is LOVE. We found out that we need to treat people well.  It is the Golden Rule that we follow. There must always be love in the work place similar to the brotherly love of the Jesuits to achieve the common goals.
HEROISM – We need to do more for others. Be ready to shower goodness for the people. The subject challenged us to lead beyond our comfort zone. We offer ourselves to achieve something all for the Glory of God. "Ad Mojorem Dei Gloriam".  A lot of passionate speech was presented during the session. All of the topics in the Call to arms speech are very applicable to the present day situation. We were inspired by the heroism of everyday heroes in our society.
I also want to add RISK-TAKING; as per my Closing remarks in the last day of our Leadership course. I admire the Jesuits for being a risk-taker. This is one personality that I don't use more often. This is probably one of the characters I need to improve. Be like the Jesuits who went to the world without any idea what to expect on their journey. They do the job for the greater good of everyone. Even when we do business; sometimes or most of the time we really need to take a risk. All successful businessmen undergone risk during their lifetime; take it from Steve Jobs when he decided to "put a dent in the universe".
Last is EXPERIENCE. I will not be the head of our company's operation in Clark without all the past experiences in my life. I hope I will continue to improve with the learning experience I had in leadership class, the inspiration I acquire from my leader classmates and guidance of our professor teaches me to do more. The experience of communication encouraged by our professor because leaders are expected to influence members, followers and co-workers. It is a very important technique because the data speaks about what company wants from MBA graduates. The number one requirement of the companies according to the survey is the COMMUNICATION SKILLS.
Nothing great is made without PASSION. Our passion defines who we are on certain issues that impact the less fortunate in the society and the world. It is very clear that as a leader; we must be available for others to uplift the life of our fellowmen in their times of need.
SUMMARY AND CONCLUSION
The summary of what I learned can be put together in a puzzle. I just add RISK-TAKING and EXPERIENCE among the four principles of Jesuits leadership. I call it the Cortez Leadership puzzle (I just hope the diagram will appear in the blog site). The six puzzles must stick solidly together side by side to come up with the seventh puzzle in the middle which is to become an AUTHENTIC LEADER.  I used puzzles to symbolize the hardship/sacrifice that we need to face before becoming an authentic leader. Puzzles are not complete without the other one. The Authentic Leadership depends on the six Principles. This puzzle was created thru the inspiration of the Jesuits, my leader classmates, our professor and the total Leadership course. As per the Jesuit; all leadership begins with SELF-LEADERSHIP. This will be my guiding principle going forward as the process continues for me to be an AUTHENTIC LEADER.


Great mosaic for leadership

3

No comments:

Post a Comment