Saturday, August 22, 2015

Final Integrative Paper By: Leader Rophele Louie C. Ocampo

Final Integrative Paper
Leadership
Leadership subject has always been my most awaited subject of my MBA. It gives me the curiosity because whenever I ask a classmate who has taken subject already; positive feedbacks are mostly I get from them.  When I ask them also on what is their top favourites? Leadership has always been on their list. They would say that Leadership is fun and less stressful compare to other subjects of the course. I was very excited when I knew that Leadership will be my next subject. After having my three mathematical subjects Financial Management, Managerial Accounting and Quantitative Analysis consequently and with other stress that my work is giving during those times, Leadership is my best alternative solution for an outlet.      
When I learned about on who is going to be my professor, I had mixed emotions. I was happy because I know who he is. He was my professor during my Entrepreneurship subject and it will be a reunion for both of us. At the same time, I was feeling meh, because I know already the teaching style of the professor, and basing it on his Entrepreneurship class, there will be a lot of assignments and activities. Nonetheless, I still accepted the challenge because I know I will learn a lot from him because I did in my Entrepreneurship class and I was indeed right.


Our leadership class started by having a Learning Agreement, where the professor wanted to know what will be your expectations on the class, to define my Strengths and Weaknesses, to set your 5 year plan, and what will be your desired grade for the subject. This has let me re-define what are my Strengths and Weaknesses and my short term plans in life. I have not done that kind of exercise for a while and I felt guilty because I have realized that I haven't checked myself lately. (start of self awareness)

Reading the book of Chris Lowney of "Heroic Leadership" has taught me of Ignatian Leadership. What struck me of Ignatian Leadership is that "You don't need to have followers in order for you to be a Leader". Each one of us is a Leader. Leadership is not limited only to those in authorities or to managers and person in charge.  And the most important, the four pillars of successful leadership:
-           Self-awareness - knowing yourself first, your capabilities, strengths, weaknesses, faith, and values.
-          Heroism – desire to excel and motivate other people
-          Ingenuity – ability to adapt to situations or being flexible
-          Love – treating other people with respect and helping them to develop their potential
  I would like to emphasize on Self-awareness as I believed our professor has been repeatedly discussing this in every session that we did, through every song that we played before the class (my favourite song was Man in the Mirror) reflection papers that we submitted, to the activities that we did on each session. Taking the leadership class is self-awareness. Discovering yourself first is important on becoming a successful leader. How can you influence or motivate people if you yourself are not doing your part or they do not see it in you. Knowing yourself and continuously improving yourself is the start of you becoming the authentic leader that you are. If you are self-aware the other three pillars will follow.
Enumerating the activities that had been very helpful for me in my journey in this leadership class:
Reflection Papers on Defining Moments, Advocacy, and Passion
The last time I remembered doing a Reflection Paper before Leadership is during my 4th year high school and the subject is Christian Formation. Doing a reflection paper is a very good exercise of self-awareness. Reflecting takes you back to your past; it helps you realize the reason on which you have become now from what you are during your past.   
Identifying your defining moments will make you realize why you are the person you are now. These are events in your life that is either a good or not so good experience that shaped you to be the leader you are. It is also assessing yourself if from your defining moments to who you are now is the person you wanted to become.
Advocacy and Passion reflection papers are interconnected to each other. A passion if taken deeper meaning and action can become an advocacy. Writing my passion and advocacy made me realize that what I have become conscious and am doing in when travelling which is my passion is also my advocacy. Through these activities, I am confident and firm about my advocacy which is Responsible travelling, promoting the Philippines, and learning thru exploring.
Leadership in Movies / Joseph Campbell's Monomyth
This is another self-awareness activity will relate your life experiences like that of a movie through Campbell's Monomyth. Doing this activity and relating my life through the movie Kung Fu Panda had made me appreciate life. That everyone has its ups and downs; it will not be a great ride if we will not be able to experience both. We will not able to appreciate what we are or what we have if we did not encounter obstacles and have overcome it. Yes, our life is like a movie and we are the actor and co-director with God. We are the one who will make what story, and how colourful and meaningful our movie will be and how wonderful our happy ending will be.
Genogram
This activity has helped me identify the roots where I came from. It is like a family tree only narrative. From where I got my looks, personality and traits to the reason of the death of my relatives that runs in the blood and might have it because it is in the family's genes.  This is one of the most time consuming activity for me for the reason that my parents both belong to a big family. But doing this Genogram has been an eye opener for me and had somehow pressured me because I was able to know that most of my relatives are very successful in their career and are very successful leaders as well. I do somehow belong in a family of leaders and that somehow convinced me that I also have that in me.
Enneagram
This activity is a personality test taken online. Took two test from two different sites (9types and Eclectic Energies) and the result were different. I did not repeat the test like what others did because I believed that the first result of the test is more accurate since all your answers are your first choice, if not at that time was the best answer for you.  
My 9types result is that I am a Type-3. The motivator, the adaptable, and the success oriented type. The Eclectic Energies on the other hand told me that I am a type 1; the reformer, the rational and idealistic type.
I believe that my personality is more of the Type-3. I am really the success oriented type. I want to be successful for me to be able to help others especially my family. I am also the type of person that is happy for the success of others. It very flattering and such a good feeling when you are able to motivate and help change a person to his/her betterment, it is like also helping a person in need.
This Enneagram activity is very useful in understanding one's personality or character so you may know what approach and how to transact or treat them individually.
Team Building and Group Activities
As the professor has said it, a leadership is not complete without a team building activity. This is the most fun part of the class and my favourite as well. It is having fun at the same time learning. I love leadership team building activities. It builds friendships, camaraderie, teamwork and a time off from the serious classroom teaching.
This is also the time where I can actively participate and it shows my competitiveness. This kind of activities will show how a good leader you are, not just leading the pack but also being a servant leader as well.      
Our team have won some of the challenges but we were not hailed as the champions. That is not an important thing for me, what is important is that we gave our best and we have learned a lot from the activity.
Call to Arms Speech
Delivering a speech to a big crowd is always a big problem with me. This is maybe an inferiority that had developed when I had my accident and a part of it maybe because of my weight and inexperience. I was even thinking of just not attending the class just to escape from it.
But I realized I am here to learn. I need to overcome this in order for me to adapt and be a successful leader. Prof had told us that a good leader is a good communicator so I did what I had to do and was able to overcome it.
AVP
This activity is a visual learning and storytelling of your life's story, passion and advocacy. Doing this AVP and had me ask my mom to give me all the photo albums when I was a kid. I never expected that I was able to have a lot of pictures because at that time I didn't remember us having a camera. Another dilemma was that I already did an AVP during my Entrepreneurship class and I have already used most of the pictures I have. I even remembered Professor telling me that it should be different from last time and he will knew because he has a sharp memory. Using again just my smart phone to do the AVP, I can say I have made justice to my presentation.
Conclusion
This leadership course is like undergoing a retreat and workshop for 2 months. Self-assessment, self-discovery, and self-improvement are what I have learned and acquired through the last eight sessions.
There are a lot of activities that made us hesitate to why we should do it. Upload our life stories for everyone to read it, tell our weaknesses and our failures. These hesitations became an inspiration to others and especially for me. I was very inspired with story of my colleagues and was able to appreciate and respect them more.
In this class I was able to improve my self confidence, and I am more self aware now. I was able to appreciate my experiences in life and turn it into defining moments to use it for my passion and advocacy applying leadership practice of St. Ignatius of Loyola.  
With all the learning I was able to obtain in this class, I am very confident that I will leave the class a better leader.
Thank you very much Professor Jorge for being our mentor and instilling to us the Ignatian Leadership.  It was truly a wonderful experience as always being my professor. (You're welcome anytime;  ano uulit pa ba?  Ha6)
"Quamplurimi et quam aptisimi" (As many as possible of the very best)
Best Regards,
Leader Rophele Louie C. Ocampo

No comments:

Post a Comment