Friday, August 14, 2015

Reflection Paper 3 by Leader Jenieryll Jomarie Mangalindan - My Passion

Hi Prof,
Sending my Reflection Paper 3

Leader Jenieryll Jomarie Mangalindan
Reflection Paper 3
What is your passion (what is it that you love doing?  How is it reflected in your work, daily life, and life's journey.

PASSION IN LEARNING
As a kid, I had developed the habit of reading books.  First I enjoy reading fantasy books, story books, pocketbooks until I get used to reading all the books or magazines that would land my hand.  Until I study, I have been excited whenever the books are handed to us at the beginning of school year and I would be eager to read the books especially those containing stories.  At times I would practically finish the books even before the mid of school.  One of my past times would be to stay at any bookstore for an hour without getting bored.  And I would bring this passion on reading as I grow older and would take it later moving to reading Accounting books, Law books, Literature, Time magazine, Harry Potter and many more.  I also remember back when I was in college, I have a cousin who is a librarian and I would visit her to borrow a lot of books that I would use in my study, a lot means leaving their library with two paper bags full of books.  As an accountancy student, we need to read a lot of materials; solve problems, memorize some articles of the law, and more subject which will require a lot of reading.  And I would never get tired of reading because every time I read I am learning new things – things I will not have any idea if I did not read.  I have learned how to read, to cook, to prepare speeches, to know the law, to be inspired by other people’s stories, to inspire, to go to many places, to remove my ignorance, to know the history, to know, tips on taking care of your children, to lead, to motivate and many more learning.  With my current role as a manager, I need to do a lot of research and self-study to learn my new tasks, and reading helps a lot.



Aside from reading, I seek continuous learning by exposing myself on meeting different kind of people.  They said in our life, we should at least keep 3 types of people in our life.  First is the mentor, this are likely the older person than you to share their wisdom and life experience to share with, this are the person that will encourage, support and inspire you in your journey.  My mentor is my parents – my mother and father who taught me life, my older cousins, aunt and uncle, all the boss I had who had shown me the good and not so good side of being a manager and a leader and my current Sr. Manager who guides me as I embark on my new journey as a manager.  It is to them that I go whenever I have questions about life that I cannot found in my readings.  Second is your counterbalance, someone who is honest with you and their honesty hurts your feelings and they want to see you grow as a person.  These are the person who will show you your strength and weaknesses.  Now this is my husband – this is the person closes to me now and is very comfortable to criticize and appreciate me.  He would tell me if I have done a good job as a mother and would give me feedback if he thinks otherwise.  I am his counterbalance, and at times we would have heated argument but at the end of the day we would try to explain with each other why we argue.  And at the end of the day, we know we just want each other to grow and just want the best for both of us.  We grow by teaching each other – he would teach me to drive a car, to be more independent, to be more confident and I would him to manage his emotions, be patient, to seek continuous learning, save money to mention a few.  The third person is your student, these are the person you will coach, these are the person you pass the torch. 

PASSION IN PASSING THE TORCH OF LEARNING
The third person that you pass the torch is the person that you would like to mentor, to coach and to inspire and provide wisdom, share experience that they can use as they go on with their journey.  For my third person I have three at the moment.  First is my children, I have committed myself from the day they were in my womb at I would do anything to teach them the way of life, to teach them the value of education and to be a good person.  This I do in my everyday life, I starting teaching my eldest kid how to count, play, read a book, enroll him in a school to learn how to mingle, to learn the way of life.  As they grow older, I would teach them to be independent, to have fear in God, to do good things and be a better person.  I truly believe that our children is our future, the future of our world will depend on them.  As one song says “I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.  Show them all the beauty they possess inside, teach them a sense of pride.”
Second will be my siblings which I currently assist to support to finish their studies.  I have been very happy to see my 2nd and 3rd siblings graduated.  My 2nd sibling initially went on rebel when my parents separated; he took three courses before finally settling with his fourth course which is on Accountancy.  It was not an easy journey for us; at times we feel our money is being wasted because he does not take his study seriously.  But we did not give up on him, there are times we would argue due to his failed grades and would threat him on not supporting his study anymore.  It is good that he soon realizes he needs to pick up himself and he eventually graduated.  We were very happy and he thanks us after, he now lands a secured job and is also helping our youngest sibling on his study.  For my 4th siblings, I have also been supporting her studies since she was in her high school.  This I volunteer as a way of helping my parents and she is now on her 3rd year in college.  I would support her financially, emotionally, psychologically and would often tell her to value his study, that I cannot support her all the time, that there will be a time that she needs to stands up on her own, that her study would be her ticket to a good life.
The third will be my team members, the team that I am currently handling.  How do I do this?  By inspiring them to seek continuous learning.  Our company allotted a yearly budget for its employee’s tuition assistance so we can seek further education, we can get a bachelor’s degree or take master’s degree.  Some of my teammates have yet to finish their bachelor’s degree due to financial difficulty last time, but I challenge them to finish their study and grab the benefit that the company is providing.  I would ask them what they want to be in the future, what is their goal.  And I tell them finishing their education can be one of the key to move to a higher position.  My teammates are very good and can see a lot of potential in them, I want to flourish it.  I want them to continue seeking learning; I want them to realize that everybody can be a leader.  I am very happy that some of them have committed that they will enroll this coming semester.  This is my passion, to drive the persons around me to seek continuous learning as well.
Last week with the speech exercise, I’ve continue to ask myself if I can still do more for others.  It is always my goal to help others aside from my family, as I’m writing my advocacy on education, it answers my question.  Yes I can still help and I saw the World Vision which I can send a child to school with just a Php600, I can make a difference in this world with this amount and so I did.  One child will move away from poverty because she will learn as she pursue her education.
This is my way of giving back.  Remember the line that I mentioned on the speech about giving back, giving back on others by investing in their success as what others did to us to contribute to our success. 

PASSION IN CONTINUOUS LEARNING
I need to seek continuous learning to gain knowledge that I can also impart in return, to continue learning to move away from ignorance, to continue learning that may be a way to give back to others – to be more for others.  I enrolled in Ateneo Graduate School of Business with the goal just for myself which is to become a manager and gain knowledge.   But now I’ve realized what differentiates Ateneo from others – it is educating with a heart.  In my sixth subject as our Leadership class takes to a close, it teaches me to be a better person, to continue learning and give back, to be a man for others.  It is giving me a new sense of life – the greatest learning that I would impart to my students.  3




No comments:

Post a Comment