Friday, August 21, 2015

Final Integrative Paper- Rae Stephanie Go

Final Integrative Paper by Rae Stephanie O. Go

This course has been one of the most, if not the most, challenging and stressful subjects I have taken. I thought that I was the only one who felt that way. But, during the last session, I realized that most of the class felt the same way. But then, I also realized that it is not solely because of the number of requirements, but because we have to really reflect deep within and share that to everyone so as to be able to comply with the requirements.

Both of my parents are shy. Although my father is dominant and can be very aggressive when he wants to, but he does not like being put into spot light. My mother is friendly, but she shies away from social gatherings. So, add both of their shyness, then that is my shyness level. Although I am friendly and approachable, it takes a lot for me to be the first one to initiate the friendship or conversation. I am uncomfortable with big groups. I can be talkative only when I am with my closest friends or family. I grew up always filtering whatever I would say, even to my close friends. I am more of a listener and a confidante. So, it takes a lot from me to share my thoughts or ideas. But, this course has challenged me to be more open in sharing my thoughts, to reflect on how every aspect of my life connects to each other, to act on how I can minimize my shyness to be more effective leader and a better person, to be more accepting of changes, and to appreciate more of what is happening around me through the stories and passions of my co-Leaders. I got stressed with most of the requirements, but I have learned a lot from this course.



Here are my top five learning and realizations during the Leadership course.
1.          John Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces.
From this activity and discussions, I have realized how many various ways an individual can be molded to become a leader. Leaders may undergo the same stages in life but with different challenges. Leaders may come from different roots. But, despite how the journey of a leader starts or ends, at the end of they day, the leader makes a difference.
2.          Ignatian Leadership
a.     We're all leaders, and we're leading in all the time, well or poorly.
All of us are leaders by default. Just like what I have mentioned in my call to arms speech, "Some may have more wealth, knowledge, skills, and connections that the others. But, whatever the situation or field we are in whether in business, academe, medicine, or others, whatever we have or do not have, each one of us has an opportunity to make a difference in accordance to His purpose. Life is a journey of continuously getting to know what God has in stored for us. It is up to if we will respond to that. It is up to us who we want to become." So, it is up to us if we want to be a leader who does well, or a leader who does not care.
b.     Leadership springs from within. It's about who I am as much as what I do.
When I was in 4th year high school, on top of our whiteboard, it was written, "Attitude determines action and action determines accomplishment". How we lead, how we react, and how we act are manifestation of what we are founded in and what we believe in or stand for. So, it is important that we have good foundation in terms of character and principles. It is easier to stick with what is right, if one knows his or her stand. "Stand for something or else you'll fall for anything".
c.     Leadership is not an act. It is my life, a way of living.
In everything that we do, we should always be mindful that we are leading until it becomes something that is so natural to us. We do not just lead when we are in the workplace or in any organization that we are involved in. We lead anytime and anywhere whatever the circumstance is.  
d.     I never complete the task of becoming a leader. It's an ongoing process.
We can never be a perfect leader, as there is always room to transform to become better. As there are various opportunities where our leadership need to vary according to the situation we are in. In relation to being self-aware, it is important that we always reflect on who we are and who we want to become as a person and as a leader.
3.          Leadership vs. Management
We used to equate leadership with management. But, just like in our discussions or slides, management is what we do and leadership is who we are. Both should go hand in hand as who we are reflects in what we do. We cannot be a good manager if we are not a good leader, and vice-versa.
4.          Four pillars of leadership.
a.     Self-awareness
With the defining moments, enneagram, genogram, and passion reflection paper/ activities, I got to know myself more. Many "ohhh" moments. And, the next question is "what now"?  In my enneagram, the result is that I am a type 9 or a peacemaker. As a Niner, the tendency is to just allow things to be the same so as to avoid conflict. This is a super "ohhh" moment. Before I tend not to call the attention of my staffs or confront them because I felt that it might worsen the situation. So, I tend not to solve the problem despite seeing it. But, something that is tolerated cannot be changed. Since avoiding conflict is something I will always tend to do, I hired a HR who can do the confronting. So, although it is a challenge also to make sure that HR does her work in line with our vision, we are seeing positive outputs and changes after having one.
Moreover, it is my first time to just sit down and trace my roots. My pre-school self mentioned in the yearbook (1992) that my dream was to be a doctor. But, this cannot be traced in our roots. Most of my Uncles and Aunties for both sides are either businessman or once businessman (they just retired early). So, I believe God has already planned out for me to be involved in our family business.  
Since leadership is an ongoing process, it is important to always check ourselves if we are still the person we want to be. If we are, how can we still improve? If not, how can we realign ourselves?
b.     Ingenuity
As I shared in my leadership in movies, I can relate to the character of Eugene because I used to be afraid of changes. I am contented to sticking with my daily routine and staying within my comfort zone. I started my MBA in 2013 with my brother and his then girlfriend. We stopped after 5 subjects when they got engaged to give way to their wedding preparations. I was afraid that time that when they get married, they would no longer continue since there would be a change in priority. And, I was right. I would excuse myself in enrolling again because of busy schedule in work. But, one of the biggest factors is that I would do it, alone which is out of my comfort zone. Requirement wise is not a problem. But, socializing is challenge to me. But, this year has been year of growth and embracing change for me. I decided to drive, so I do not have to depend on my brother since he has a family already. I decided to go back to school. So, now I drive myself to school, although mostly still with companion as my brother and my parents are not comfortable yet allowing me to do long drive, especially at night alone.  This course has been my second subject after 1 year of LOA. And, it has contributed a lot to my year of growth. I am still learning to be more adaptive to changes, but I am hoping to be able to grab more opportunities before the year ends.
c.     Love
Just like in Developing Emotional Intelligence of Daniel Goleman, it is important to develop empathy so as to be able consider the well-being of the people around us, especially in decision-making. There should be genuine care, trust, and value to our employees in our family business, and even to the things that I am passionate about. It's so easy to lead kids to know God more and spend time with them since I genuinely love and desire to make an impact in their lives. 
d.     Heroism
Leaders aim high. They do not just wait or watch things to happen. They make things happen.
As John L. Mason wrote in his book "An Enemy called Average",
Do more than dream. Do.
Do more than exist. Live.
Do more than just live. Live for Jesus.
5.          Authentic Leader
We are our own leader. There are no two leaders who have exactly the same experience, same sets of passion, and same sets of beliefs. Each has his or her unique talent or gift to impart, which reflects with his or her daily life. I am amazed with how my co-Leaders are able to make a difference by doing what they are passionate about. I was really in awe when I saw the short video clips of Leader Daisy and Leader Liz when they would hear the first cry of the baby and take care of them. I was moved on how passionate Leader Suzette and Leader Belle in generously sharing themselves and their knowledge and giving more than 100% in every activity and paper. I was inspired with how Leader Mark is using his career and resources to be able to give hope to a better vision. I am motivated with how Professor/Leader Jorge is going beyond what is required. A lot more can be said, but everyone in the class shows how it is to be an Authentic Leader. And, that it's not about how much we have or how much we do that matter; it's about how much we get things done to make a difference in the lives of other people that matter the most.

            As this course comes to an end, I am challenged to turned these learning and realizations into concrete actions and outputs. I have realized that I may have been a good leader in the organization I am involved in. But, I am still lacking as a leader in our family business, to have more empathy to my employees and to allow love to prevail even during in times of conflict, esepcially with the big boss (i.e. my Father). I am inspired to countinously become better as I aim towards the plan that He has for me.  "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14



Thank you so much Prof. for setting an example to us.

-Stephanie Go

No comments:

Post a Comment