Friday, August 21, 2015

Reflection Paper 3: What is your passion? What is it that you love doing?


 Hi Prof. Jorge,

Submitting to you my Reflection Paper 3.
What is your passion? What is it that you love doing?
Each morning everyone is given another opportunity to lead meaningful, passionate lives. I must pursue my dreams, take risks, be brave, question everything and explore exotic places. How could I not when I know firsthand that there are so many people in the world without the power or choice to do the same?
Upon doing this reflection paper, I started to get in touch deep inside myself at a heart and soul level and realized that I should not overlook simple blessings that reflect my own heart's truest priorities and highest goals.
Before social networks were a part of our everyday lives I adopted the phrase "live with passion" as my personal mantra. There was really no valid excuse I could use for not fully embracing each day like I could stare at the stars in the sky for hours.  I gained a deep appreciation for the simple pleasures of life and made a commitment to myself to never take a single day for granted--to find love, joy, peace, and freedom that are inside of us all.
I'm enthusiastic about making a list of things that I enjoy. Things that concern me. Things I can do to make the world a better place (volunteering for a community service teaches me some effective leadership skills and more importantly, how to be effective about what is important to me). A list of people I care about. Places I would like to go and from the list of those I care about, I do something nice for that person each day, week or whatever fits my time or budget. Of the places I'd like to go, I try to see all of them or as many as possible and develop an appreciation of what I have. I always try to fulfill the items on my bucket list (things that I'd like to do in my lifetime.) Hence, I'm passionate about passion.
How is your passion reflected in your work, daily life and life's journey?

If I'm unhappy in my work, then I'm spending most of my working hours unhappy — and that's simply unacceptable. So what can I do to feel more passionate about my work? I start getting clear on what I DO like about my job. I list down everything good about my job — the people, the space, some elements of the work, my office table, etc. I recognize and acknowledge that it isn't all bad. Then I look at the one major issue I have with my job. Are there any small positive actions that I can do to make things better? Is there anyone I can talk with who might help me? If so, I take actions.
Small improvements like that can give me a sense of control and hope. In addition, I try to approach my work with enthusiasm. Even if the work itself is not stimulating or challenging, I try to do it mindfully and gratefully. I let go of thoughts of resentment, knowing that change will happen eventually. As the poet Kahlil Gibran reminds, "work is love made visible," even work that isn't your passion.
I use this transition time to reclaim balance in my life. I check at the places in my life where I am over-scheduled or handling busy-work and try to eliminate and classify some of the things consuming my time and energy. I tend to cut back on spending time with people who are negative and not supportive. If I realized that I am spending too many hours at work, I slow down so that I can spend more time with my loved ones and do other things that I enjoy like travelling, painting, and others.
I think that this is a great time to explore my hobbies, to travel or just allow myself time every day with an engaging novel. When worry, restlessness, and self-doubt begin to creep in, I engage in activities that are something fun (Embracing the kid in me). These relaxing pursuits can relieve my stress, enhance creativity, and potentially lead me to a life passion.
With regards to improving my skills in an area I enjoy, I savor the process of learning and gaining skills or learn something entirely new that has always interests me like taking an MBA, attending trainings and seminars.

For my personal growth,
a huge leap in personal transformation occurs with the realization that I am responsible for my happiness. I can choose to spend time dwelling on the ways my life isn't passionate, or I can choose to find happiness where I am right now — as I work toward my life passion.
Being proactive about my personal and emotional development is one of the most valuable and life-altering ways to spend my time. I can do this by reading interesting books, and articles that focus on evolutionary change and growth in all areas of my life. It can help me to develop new and more productive ways of thinking and acting.
Being passionate about my personal growth helps me to embrace my life passion with self-awareness and emotional maturity.

CONCLUSION
It's empowering to recognize the greatness that exists within you. I've realized that embracing a life of passion isn't solely about taking chances, being adventurous or living outside of what is deemed acceptable by "social norms."
Living with passion means to be genuinely interested in life on an overall scale. It means to care and to courageously invest in others (family, friends, colleagues), beyond greed or selfish gain and be curious as well as explore and examine the world and the people in it. Connect with souls everywhere you go and spread love through interaction, if for no other reason than just simply because you can. Now I can say that, I'm really lucky in life. On top of having a sweet and loving family, an amazing group of friends, and work I feel that I'm making a positive impact in the lives of others. But you know what? I believe what looks like passion is simply just a reflection of this: I'm extremely interested in the world around me. I love exploring new ways to connect. I find other's passions intriguing. Like what makes people want to climb or run or paint or race cars or sew. I love hearing the words they use to describe the things they love doing. I learned somewhere on this life's journey of mine that staying interested and present makes me lighthearted and this helps me on my leadership journey by forcing me to think outside of my own limits, and to have a more worldly mentality.

Thank You!
 Best Regards,

Jackelyn H. Aspiras

No comments:

Post a Comment