Friday, August 14, 2015

Reflection Paper #3- Stephanie Go - My Passion

Hi Prof!

Here is my reflection paper.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Reflection Paper #3 by Rae Stephanie O. Go

What is your passion (what is it that you love doing?  How is it reflected in you work, daily life, and life's journey.

I remember one evening two years ago, I received a call from a friend who was deciding whether to take a leave of absence in law school to pursue a work in research so as to find her real passion in life whether to be a lawyer or researcher as we are graduates of Economics. During that night, I was thinking that I do not have any great passion on something. But, after that night, I kept on thinking and reflecting on my passion. After a few days, I realized that I have passion; I have just never just sat down to reflect on what I have been passionate about. Moreover, my personality is that I always keep my emotions in check. I do not like coming off too strong, which is actually a tendency of a Niner/ Peacemaker, the result of my enneagram. Among the things that I am passionate about, here are my top 3: travelling, music, and making a difference especially in the lives of children.




Travelling. Our family started to travel because of supplier's incentive trips whenever we achieve quota. When we were younger, even if we only got two tickets for an inventive trip, my dad would buy tickets for the rest, so that everyone could go. That led each one of us to love travelling. Now that my siblings and I are older, we take turns in representing our company for the supplier's incentive trips, as it is already difficult for us to leave work all at the same time. But, our family still tries to travel during Christmas holidays. One of my favorite travels is when we went to Italy with the whole family in 2011. We went to Rome, Florence, Venice, Vatican City, and Milan. When we reach Milan, my parent, together with my youngest brother, went home, while I, together with my sister and brother, took the train to Zurich. Then, we also went to Luxembourg, Amsterdam, Antwerp, and ended our trip in Paris via train. Looking back, my siblings and I would laugh at how we decided to spend our New Year in Luxembourg instead of Zurich. We enjoyed running after the trains, asking the locals for directions, and just travelling together. Then, since 2011, my sister, a close friend, and I would travel at least once a year. Aside from getting to see beautiful sites, learn more cultures, and eat various foods, what I also love about travelling with them is that we are able to practice situational leadership. My sister takes in-charge of communicating with the locals, especially in non-English speaking countries like Japan and Korea. Since she is involved in missions, she is exposed to various cultures and languages. My friend is responsible with booking the accommodation and check restaurants with good reviews so we can try. I am normally in-charge with the itinerary, and then I lead the group to accomplish it. By travelling, I get to know my sister, my friend, and myself more. As we travel more, we get to practice and appreciate each other's contribution and strengths in leading the group in different ways.

Music. According to my mom, when I was in nursery, my teacher asked for a volunteer to sing. Then, I just stood up and sang "A Whole New World". I think I was not that shy yet during that time. However, growing up, my mom would encourage me to enroll to voice lessons, but at that time, I felt like she was forcing me. Then, she would enroll me to piano lessons, but I stopped because I did not like to participate in the recitals. But, when I was in 3rd year high school, one of our music teachers offered 1-week lessons in keyboard, guitar, and drums. I grabbed the opportunity to learn all three since there was no need for recitals. But, since I was shy, I would just play guitar or keyboard in my alone time. Playing the guitar has been my outlet. There was a time in college, I was having a difficult time with two of my subjects. I received the results of my midterm exams for both at the same day. Although I did my best, I merely passed. I was really disheartened, so when I had a break, I went home (I just live across the university) just to play my guitar. Then, afterwards, I felt better then went back to school for my next class. Even until now, whenever I am stressed, discouraged, hurt, and at times disappointed, I would just be in my room playing the guitar. Just this year, I was telling my brother that I am mostly able to handle my emotions and reactions well because I have an outlet where I can pour my emotions in. Music has been a great part of me, especially in making me feel better. But, three years ago, despite my shyness, I started playing the guitar and piano in church since I felt like God is calling me to be used in the music ministry. Since then, I do not just play the guitar in my alone time whenever I feel down, but also, whenever I am happy and just want to praise or worship Him.

Making a Difference. I grew up in children's Sunday school. Then, my parents would enroll me in the yearly 1-week Daily Vacation Bible School (DVBS) every summer. That's why when I graduated from college and went back to Tarlac five years ago, my first desire has been to serve God by being involved in the kid's ministry. I was a teacher for children's Sunday school until I was called to be involved in the music ministry. But, even though I am no longer a teacher for Sunday School, since I really love kids, I always volunteer to be a kid's counselor for children's camp every holy week since 2013 in Baguio. The children's camp comprises of 6-12 year old kids from different churches in the country. As a counselor, I get to handle a group of kids who I have to counsel and share the word of God with. During afternoon breaks, I would treat my group of kids with fishballs or any snack while I listen to their stories. It is a joy to see how excited and appreciative they get with little things. It is amazing to see that at a young age, the kids have different stories to tell.

In 2013, I got to counsel a 7-year old girl, who is the daughter of the camp's Doctor. She is very shy and charming. Her parents are leaders of their church in Caloocan. She always goes to Sunday School. But, she does not understand why she needs to pray or to attend Sunday School. I have similar situation with her growing up. When I was a kid, I felt like I was obliged to do those things because my parents are leaders of the church. I just got to have a personal relationship with God when I was already in high school. I shared this story with her hoping that she will eventually have a relationship with God also. I have not seen her yet since then as her family has been spending their holy week abroad. But, I hope to see her soon. During children's camp, I also get to play the guitar/keyboard during the praise and worship and lead the kids in the morning exercises together with my brother. My brother and I introduced ultimate Frisbee to the kids in 2013. After a short stretching and jogging, we play Frisbee with them while teaching sportsmanship and discipline. After that year, they always request us to play Frisbee with them, even during breaks. It is physically tiring to be a counselor/guitarist/keyboardist every children's camp, but it is so easy to do something that you are so passionate about. In the last children's camp, one of my kids was crying before she went home to Manila. She was telling me that she would attend next year's children's camp, so she can see me. It's encouraging to see that my presence can make an impact in the life of children. Every time a children's camp ends, I get so refreshed just to be able to spend time and make a difference in the lives of the children by bringing them closer to God. At the same time, I get to be closer to God too.

 In our lectures, we have discussed that leadership is an unending process. There's always room for growth and discovery. It is similar with passion. I just discovered my passion for kids when I already graduated from college. At one point, I thought that I should have been a pre-school teacher rather than an assistant manager. But, all things work together for good. Every part of my life has led me to become the person and leader that I am. Now, I can be a good assistant manager and still be able to make a difference in the life of the kids. I am able to develop my musical skills and use it to please God every Sunday and kid's camp. As I discover and do what I am passionate about, I get to discover myself more as a leader and more importantly as an individual.  3


No comments:

Post a Comment