Friday, August 21, 2015

Final Integrative Paper by Leader Josh Go

Hi Prof,

Sending my final integrative paper. Again, thank you very for the fruitful and once in a lifetime learning experience.

FINAL INTEGRATIVE PAPER BY LEADER JOSH P. GO

I would to start my final integrative paper with my expectations and objectives in taking this course as indicated in my learning agreement.
1. To enhance my leadership skills and share with my team the learnings to empower them to be good leaders too
2. To evaluate and assess my current leadership approach and create my own authentic leadership style
3. To learn how to lead effectively during difficult situations
On the last portion of this paper will be my evaluation on how this course address the objectives mentioned above.

The first session was very interesting and informative since everyone shared a glimpse of his/ her own life story which made it even more interesting because from there on I became very eager to know more of their journeys. Then we had a debate on the arguments if leaders are born, made or situational. The class was divided into 3 groups and lucky enough I was part of the group who argued that leaders are made and eventually our group won. Yes, I strongly believed that leaders are made based on their experiences in life that cannot be learned from school or from the books. These experiences and values in life guide you with your decisions and choices in life.
There was discussion on discovering authentic leadership by George, Simms, et. al. Self awareness is the first thing to do before take time to inspire and motivatie others. Below are some of the characteristics of an authentic leader:
1. Has passion for purpose
2. Practice values consistently
3. Lead with hearts and head
4. Self discipline to achieve results
5. Has meaningful relationship







Then we had our first reflection paper on the defining moments wherein you have to identify the life changing events in our lives. Each of us have to recall these events which I find very emotional since I have to get back to the most difficult journey in my life and worst is feeling the pain once again but happy at the same time since I have passed the journey and now reaping the fruits.


The second session was to plan a perfect crime for a bad boss. In this exercise, our group had collaboration on how do we really perceived a bad boss. Along the way, we were able to plan a crime against a bad boss not to really kill him but rather let him realize his wrong doings. There will always be bad bosses but learn to be the good boss.
The Jesuits four pillars of leadership was also discussed
1. Self Awareness - understanding your strengths and weaknesses
2. Ingenuity – confidently innovate and adapt to a changing world
3. Love – engage others with a positive attitude
4. Heroism – energize yourself and others with heroic ambitions and a passion for excellence
For the third session, we have to take the enneagram test to know your personality as a leader. I took the test thrice and came out with the same result, the leader, the powerful and aggressive type. I believe that my leadership personality changes from one company to another because of the need. Currently, being the Plant Manager of the company I am working now, there is really a need to be powerful and aggressive considering the attitude of the other managers I am working with. I have to stand out and show them that I am in control of the operations. This is me now but I know also my limitations and should still be in control of my emotions. The way I manage my 7 heads differs depending on their attitude towards their job and their personality.

The fourth session, we were asked to prepare our genogram. At first, I find it difficult because my parents already passed away and my siblings are not so familiar with our roots especially on my mother's side. Along the way, I was able to find ways to know my roots. I started to contact some relatives which I haven't seen and talked to since birth. This exercise opened the communication line with some of our relatives and was able to hear some of stories with my mother. I was able to ask also some of my relatives to visit the tombs of our relatives in cemetery in Vigan and Bicol just to get the birthdates and dates of deaths. After preparing my genogram, I realized that the argument that leaders are made is true in my case. No one among my roots really stand out as leader during their time. My leadership skills are molded based on my family values, upbringing, environment, the struggles in life that makes me an authentic leader. During the sharing
made, many among the class came from a poor family but all of them including me became successful in our chosen field. Being poor is out of the equation if you are really determined to have a better and successful life.
The fifth session was the team building organized by the Clash Masters (Doc Suzette, Doc Daisy, Rcee, Tristan, Ms. Belle and Anne). Everyone had fun and got to know more each other. We started with a bingo inspired game wherein you have to identify the person being described in a box. Before putting the name, the person being described should acknowledge it, otherwise it is not valid. Luckily, I was first one who completed it and eventually won the game. The next activities were outdoor started with a cheer from each team. The blue team won but the 'ubebe' cheer where I belong was the most remembered one that finally made our new group name in viber as 'ubebe.'Then we have the hola hoop to be passed on from one person to another without using the hand which again won by the blue team. The challenge wherein all members are seating on the ground with our hands in 'kapit-bisig' then stand was won by our team. Our strategy was the big guys to
seat beside each other and the first one to stand up then pull up the others after then. We identified first our strengths and used these strengths to help others. We also had the tallest tower built out of plastic straw which again won by the blue team. Finally, the last game wherein the challenge is to have most possible number of balls inside the ring. At first, the game was in chaos since each team wanted to have the most number of balls in order to win only to realize that we should work as one team to have the most possible numbers of balls inside the ring.

The reflection paper no. 2 enable us again to know our selves even more by going back to the external factors that shaped us today (family, environment, school and work experiences). The internal factors like the values, strengths and weaknesses and how it affected our choices in life. Lastly, how these external and internal factors prepared us for our future challenges. While preparing the paper, there were lot of 'A-ha's' that made me realize to who and what I am today. Most of the choices I made were greatly influence by the internal factors. The experiences in life, good or bad made me stronger to conquer other future challenges that will come along the way.
The sixth session is making and delivering a speech in front of the class on our advocacy. My chosen advocacy is population control through responsible parenthood which will eventually address the issue on over population. It may not be as sensational as the RH Bill of the Responsible Parenthood and Reproductive Health Act of 2012 (Republic Act No. 10354) but this advocacy can be done in a very simple manner. Making poor families realize the importance of family planning. As leaders, we should also be a good communicator and in delivering your speech, people should feel your sincerity, it should come from the heart. As leaders, we should be able to sell our ideas. On this exercise, I was awarded second place and made me proud of this achievement.
Reflection Paper no. 3 is all about our passion in life, the things that we love doing. In this paper, I realize my passion about leading by doing the best I can to serve and make a difference starting from elementary to college school days wherein I am being elected as President of our class and different clubs or organizations. It continued until this time as Plant Manager of Viskase Asia Pacific Corporation. I consider this company as my own since I played a major role in establishing the company from the construction until its stable operation today. The success of the company where it is now is driven by my passion for excellence. I did my best to deliver the results that our mother company is expecting and we have proven it.
Lastly, the AVP that was presented to the class on the last session. After seeing the AVP I prepared, I realized that the presentation I made is all about the results of my clear visions in life.
1. To finish college in a prestigious school.
2. To become a manager in a multinational company.
3. To build my own family and give comfortable life.
4. To have 3 kids (with at least one girl/ boy).
5. To send my children to decent school and fluent in English.
6. To build our dream house in a good community.
7. To have small business for my wife.
I did not prepare a plan for the presentation but only choose the pictures that matters to me most.
The opening songs that were played, Sa 'Yo Lamang, Sino Ako. Lord, I Offer My Life to You, Greatest Love Of All, Man On The Mirror and Heal The World were all inspiring and a reflection on becoming a good leader.
After the seven (7) sessions, I can say that the learning even go beyond my objectives and expectations despite some sleepless nights to do the 3 reflection papers, Joseph Campbell's monomyth, a crime plot for "A Bad Boss," " A Call to Arms" speech delivered to the class within 5 minutes, the AVP and lastly this integrative paper. Indeed, it is all worth it and what made it unique is learning from the life stories and journeys of my 26 classmates and to Professor Saguinsin.
Again, it was a heartfelt learning experience and formed a new group of close friends because of the experience we shared together.
After the 7 sessions, what matters most will be my ability to bring in new sets of leaders in Viskase.
Thank you Prof. Saguinsin!

1 comment:

  1. A professional dissertation editing service has editors for hire who can have your academic work accepted. A PhD dissertation needs to be written and conducted carefully for it will be your key in reaching the topmost academic degree. Writing your study takes so much of your time as with identifying the errors in the paper. integrative paper

    ReplyDelete