Friday, November 27, 2015

MM Leadership Reflection Paper 3 by Maricon Bangayan

Good day Prof. Jorge,

Submitting my reflection paper 3.

Thank you

Reflection Paper 3 

Passion is when you put more energy into something than is required to do it.  It is more than just enthusiasm or excitement, passion is ambition that is materialized into action to put as much heart, mind, body and soul into something.  This is the meaning of passion I got from the website www.urbandictionary.com.

When I was in high school, I was given the chance to be a tutor to a 4 year old kid.  This is not a formal tutoring, all I have to do is teach the child to count, read letters, identify colors, and others while the mom is at work.  It was summer vacation then.  After two months of being a tutor to the kid, I was surprised that I was able to teach him how to read and it felt so rewarding.  Maybe because of that, the mom asked me to be the tutor of the kid and I agreed.  It was then followed by another kid and another kid.  Though in college, I did not take up Education maybe because there was no teacher from my relatives.

When I was appointed as Administrative Officer in 2004, one of my tasks is to orient people, train them of their duties and responsibilities and be a guide to the staff regarding the company.  I took Certification in Professional Education last year and able to pass the Licensure Examination for Teachers last March 2015. 

With this, I think my passion is to teach, educate or train people, which is reflected in my enneagram result, I am a carer or helper.  Though not a practicing teacher, I can say that I am embracing to be a teacher to everybody.  I am currently employed in a Special Education School, again not as a teacher but as an HR Officer.  But I am still part of the environment that will help these kids to see that the world is a happy place to live because they are accepted and being loved.

Somebody told me that I am an Accidental HR, why?  Because I am a business course graduate, and working as an HR Officer, which by practice Psychology Graduates are the HR people.  I thank God for giving me this job.  As I have said during our Team Building Activity, I was looking for a summer program for my son who has an ADHD but instead I got the job.  God is good, maybe He said, not a summer program only for me but rather a long term plan, you will be employed, so you can help others also.  Maybe one of these days, I will be the opportunity to be a formal teacher to these beautiful kids.  Though very challenging, I think being able to see that the kids learn from me and appreciate the world around them is a very rewarding experience already.  It is an experience that money can't buy.



I am pursuing to finish my Masters Degree aside from professional or career development, I want to share the acquired learning to my company, and maybe to some colleges, to inspire more people to achieve their dream and never be afraid of the challenges that may come their way. 

What is my new learning?

I learned that doing what you love and exerting more than the required effort comprises my passion.  Passion sums up to doing the things that I love without any monetary equivalent but as long as I am able to accomplish the things to be done.  Also, from one of our class discussions, I believe that I can be of service to other people not only by being a politician.  It should start from the smallest unit before dreaming big.  Also, with teaching, maybe I may not be a practicing professional teacher but in my heart I am a teacher in my own special way.  Though not recognized as professional teacher, what is important to me is the learning the people around me learned from me.

Being a teacher is a vocation, a mission and a profession.  When I took Certification in Professional Education, I am thinking of a forever profession.  I always believe that teaching has no age limit. For as long as I can still be an effective teacher to my students then I will never be unemployed.  I did not notice that my desire to be a professional teacher would lead to be my mission and my vocation. 


What is the relation to what I already know?

People who love what they are doing never get tired because they are happy with it.  I think that doing the things you love is already your passion.  Just like the SPED teachers, there are many struggles in teaching SPED students.  There are times that the teachers get bitten, hit hard, being pinched and others.  Because of their passion to help those children to be an independent individual they never lose hope nor get tired.  For if they do, the children will suffer and will not be a happy kid. 

Sometimes doing the things you love entails so much effort, time, patience and understanding.  It is not that easy to convince others to understand your passion.  But what is important is that standing on what you believe in and make your passion into action and let others see the fruit of your labor.


What have I done, am doing and will be doing for this topic?

Even I have no formal experience in teaching SPED students, I will still continue to be of service to children with special needs.  I am hoping to encourage other people to help the children in their own little way.  With this, I will be able to help not only the kid but also their families to cope up with the needs of their kid.  I am praying that one day I can be an official teacher to them so I can touch their life personally.  Also, I will get the chance to interact with their parents.  I want to know their sentiments, joys and wishes for their children.  Maybe one day I will be a part of their life because I can share with them my own experiences in raising a child with special needs.  I may not be the expert but at least I can communicate with them and in one way or another I can touch their life and be a blessing to them.   

In summary, because of this Leadership Course, I was able to examine myself.  I get to know a lot from myself.  This assignment about my passion and the enneagram are realization to me.  I now know my purpose or part in God's mission for mankind – to be a helper.  I will continue to share my learning and knowledge in whatever forms so I can be of service to other people.





Thank you,

Maricon P. Bangayan
MM Leadership Management
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment